• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
So Idk, this group is clearly extremely hard right as all their polling is strictly for abortion and pushing Kavanaugh through.
Their numbers look a little weird, I can't find the actual poll.

2019-02-25_9-08-52.jpg

I enjoy many things about this graph. The change in units and width so 1 month on the right = 3 years on the left, the missing labels on x, the lack of sourcing for the data points, the pretty much flat trendline since 2008. This is definitely something to pee our pants about, it is over.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
The right wing spin on the late term abortions seems to be have been a huge success
I had some conservative shitbird on FB posting her righteous indignation about these late term abortions - I stayed out of it, because I wouldn't be listened to, but thankfully, a friend of her's who is a very well respected OBGYN chimed in, saying how these late term abortions are for the health of the mother or child (if pregnant with multiple), and they HAVE to be approved by the doctor and that, other than health reasons, no expectant mother ever gets a late-term abortion. And since everyone agreed that she knows more about the issue than anyone else, she was able to shut that argument down hard! And she did it in a far more respectful manner than I would have.

But I doubt many of these conservative types looking to be mad at something like this have professional friends to talk them into reason.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I had some conservative shitbird on FB posting her righteous indignation about these late term abortions - I stayed out of it, because I wouldn't be listened to, but thankfully, a friend of her's who is a very well respected OBGYN chimed in, saying how these late term abortions are for the health of the mother or child (if pregnant with multiple), and they HAVE to be approved by the doctor and that, other than health reasons, no expectant mother ever gets a late-term abortion. And since everyone agreed that she knows more about the issue than anyone else, she was able to shut that argument down hard! And she did it in a far more respectful manner than I would have.

Nuanced parts of an issue should never be put at the forefront on an issue being diseminated to the public

Maybe we need better PR people to handle public debate because the facebook addicted is too stupid know the ins and out of the actual arguments

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

But I doubt many of these conservative types looking to be mad at something like this have professional friends to talk them into reason.
The problem is this required them to know the professional expert to trust their word on it.

Too much debate about everything comes down to a group of people dismissing the experts when it clashes with their gut feeling.

And maybe that OBGYN got through to them, but I'm guessing it's far more likely they were like "yeah, ok, you're right" for now but will go back to spouting their same dumbass talking points the next time it comes up.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.kofc.org/un/en/resources/communications/americans-opinions-on-abortion.pdf

Marist is legit but KOFC didn't release the raw data or the exact question wording.

Knights of Columbus is a conservative men's Catholic group that is very pro-life. Probably would be analogous to the Shriners or Freemasons in terms of being a service organization/fraternity, but one of their big things is raising money for pro-life causes and organizing their own things.

It is a good reminder that "abortion in any situation" and "no abortion no matter the situation!" are both unpopular positions.

Oct 25, 2017
After VA/NY, I saw a whole bunch of older conservatives on FB posting about how abortion is the biggest genocide of our time. lmao.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
After VA/NY, I saw a whole bunch of older conservatives on FB posting about how abortion is the biggest genocide of our time. lmao.

ABortion is such a sick political tool'

Even though its been on a steady decline since its inception with the introduciton of sex ed, contraceptives, and advances to medical science

An increasingly small portion of our population even ends up in an abortion scenario in the first place and yet it continually drowns out the political landscape every time its brought up because the philospy clashes are so black and white

It drives me insane

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well, many times now on Era u have happened upon conversations about who the best superhero is and to stop the fighting I gently remind them of my expertise and tell them that scientifically speaking it's Namor.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Trump Jr (and a good chunk of pundits) seem to think that financial crimes aren't crimes, referencing anything that happened before your current job is out of bounds, and that crimes you got away with at the time aren't worth prosecuting in the present. Not that he's even right about any of those points.

There are actual crimes, and they're recent. Manafort's bank fraud offenses happened mostly in 2016, as he was strapped for cash and taking an unpaid Trump campaign job. His witness tampering conspiracy with Kilimnik was in early 2018.

Blaming 3rd parties themselves and not the institution of FPTP voting is asinine. The only 3rd parties we get are the fringe wackos because the sane ones know they don't stand a chance in this current model.

Ranked choice voting will be the savior of true 3rd parties in the US, at least for state and congressional elections.

Nov 20, 2017
Trump Jr (and a good chunk of pundits) seem to think that financial crimes aren't crimes, referencing anything that happened before your current job is out of bounds, and that crimes you got away with at the time aren't worth prosecuting in the present. Not that he's even right about any of those points.

There are actual crimes, and they're recent. Manafort's bank fraud offenses happened mostly in 2016, as he was strapped for cash and taking an unpaid Trump campaign job. His witness tampering conspiracy with Kilimnik was in early 2018.

Ranked choice voting will be the savior of true 3rd parties in the US, at least for state and congressional elections.

Oh my god that facial hair is fug

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

What is with jr's struggle beard

Jesus fucking Christ

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Also, how does committing crimes prior to entering politics absolve you of them lmao

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't, is just variations in the sample. Abortion has been pretty much 50/50, since like forever.

It's also one of the easiest positions to understand - I get it. They think that zygotes - even sperm in the catholic case are viable real human beings. If you put yourself in that state of mind - the passion and horror are quite understandable - which is why expressions like "pro life" and "late term /partial birth" etc are so powerful because they make a broad and strong case that all the biology is a person.

There are genuinely caring, emotionally invested people on the anti abortion side that are bought into semantics - the abortion battle has often been fought in the thesaurus rather than the courts of law or public opinion.

And the measuring stick for when a clump of cells becomes a person is not only a stick of differing length depending which faction is holding it, that stick is stymied by a lack of an easy, clear scientific consensus because the stages are subjective and analog. If a baby became a baby suddenly at a predictable stage and the change was binary and obvious, it might be an easier thing to compromise on.

Many anti abortion folks probably sit closer to the pro abortion people on the issue of when - almost zero abortion advocates want embryos with beating hearts and brains aborted - but further, in a secular democracy the people are free to get moral guidance from the church - but not law and not science. Those two things are secular in the US. And the GOP stance on abortion is hypocritical and intellectually dishonest. The GOP on abortion is a bus that drops you off miles from the Roe Vs Wade stop on purpose, because without the specter of that destination - they lose a significant amount of the evangelical and religious base. This time they might have to get closer to that stop than the party rationally desires. Deal with the devil.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a catholic, I got a partial scholarship from the knights of Columbus to catholic high school.

I hadn't even applied for it and didn't want to accept it (not because I knew anything about their politics yet, but because the biggest criteria for the award was supposed to be financial need, and I didn't feel poor enough)

Status
Not open for further replies.