• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
oiYM2.jpg

That he's about to devour some children
Lol

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

Nice, been waiting on this one being pursued since the Dems won back the House. Maybe the spawn of former Supreme Court justice Kennedy's can finally give us some more details about it all *thinking emoji*

https://www.businessinsider.com/ant...president-trump-over-a-billion-dollars-2018-6
The son of Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy was leading a real-estate division of Deutsche Bank as it gave President Donald Trump over $1 billion in loans to finance his real-estate projects when other banks wouldn't, The New York Times reported Thursday.

Justin Kennedy, the former global head of Deutsche Bank's real-estate capital markets division, was one of Trump's close business associates, The Times reported, citing two sources familiar with the matter.

Because of Trump's inconsistent track record in business, which included multiple bankruptcy filings and frequent lawsuits, most other major banks would not lend to him. Deutsche Bank loaned Trump the funds to construct and renovate skyscrapers and other developments in New York City and Chicago, The Times reported.

[...]

I'm sure everything was above board.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of an amazing article about a trump tweet that directly quotes someone on Fox News...except the person never said it nor does the data even come close to support even a paraphrase

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So a sitting President cannon be indicted, therefore the DOJ cannot release the information? Even if the President is compromised by a foreign government?
That's sort of what they're going for.

But it's going to fail in the supreme if that's the defense. Because the *reason* the DOJ have the notion that the President cannot be indicted is because the House have oversight, and because the constitution provides an alternate method to hold the President accountable.

If the DOJ then refuse to hand over their evidence to the House, the justification for not indicting the President falls apart.

Even this supreme court would pick apart that rhetoric. You cannot use the impeachment process to defend not indicting the President, and then sabotage the impeachment process.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
So a sitting President cannot be indicted, therefore the DOJ cannot release the information? Even if the President is compromised by a foreign government?

They just made the case that releasing that information would be a political action.

DOJ doesn't want to get political even though impeachment is the process to punish a sitting president since he can't be indicted.

We can't have a DOJ playing political games now. Wink wink.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
That's sort of what they're going for.

But it's going to fail in the supreme if that's the defense. Because the *reason* the DOJ have the notion that the President cannot be indicted is because the House have oversight, and because the constitution provides an alternate method to hold the President accountable.

If the DOJ then refuse to hand over their evidence to the House, the justification for not indicting the President falls apart.

Even this supreme court would pick apart that rhetoric. You cannot use the impeachment process to defend not indicting the President, and then sabotage the impeachment process.

Well, if the House subpoenas it, it's you turn it over or get charged with Contempt of Congress. And they literally can have a floor vote and detain/jail people in the Capitol Building even if DOJ says "lol we're not going to prosecute ourselves!"

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They just made the case that releasing that information would be a political action.

DOJ doesn't want to get political even though impeachment is the process to punish a sitting president since he can't be indicted.

We can't have a DOJ playing political games now. Wink wink.
Just to be clear (in case anyone reading this doesn't know where the holes in this rhetoric are, I know it's not your rhetoric), it isn't a settled matter that the President cannot be indicted. It is the DOJ's position that he cannot be, because of impeachment being in the constitution, but it's never been argued in front of the supreme court.

They would be choosing not to indict, because there is an alternate process available for the President, while simultaneously sabotaging that other process. I'm not convinced they won't try to do exactly that, but it'll go to the supreme court for sure, and I can't see even this court failing to see the giant constitutional problem with that argument. Either you trust the process laid out in the constitution or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

Although this is all kind of moot imo. Because I firmly believe the report will leak if they try to bury it.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how much I can personally project into every single micro update about the Mueller investigation. This means that, that means this.

Right now I'm circling around acceptance. Not 'nothing will happen,' since that is already thoroughly untrue but more like, 'nothing really changes.' It is more or less going to be impossible to remove Trump from office, which is what I actually want. It's just not going to happen and I'm making my peace with it.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
They said it was done "under the pretext of a bomb threat"... whatever that means exactly.
Sounds to me like law enforcement evacuated them by saying there was a bomb threat, then installed it while they were forced out of their business. How else are you going to do it exactly without tipping your hand, I guess.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize they could delay that long. They can certainly "un-fuck" themselves in that time.
They can "un-fuck", but they don't want to. Unbbinding referendum, 52-48, Brexit means Brexit!
The EU wants to delay 21 months, I'm not sure May has any power to delay that long.

As of right now UK is fucked, no deal, caos at customs and a potential hard border in Ireland, but if they delay there's European Parliament elections in May and I don't think the UK wants to vote on European MPs if they're leaving

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
The EU wants to delay 21 months, I'm not sure May has any power to delay that long.

I realize the UK's parliamentary system is not my strong suit, but is there a point at which May can just say anything she wants? Or at least propose anything? They COULD dissolve the government and put someone else in but no one wants to be in that position. After all, being in a leadership role no one else would willingly accept kind of makes you untouchable.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
They can "un-fuck", but they don't want to. Unbbinding referendum, 52-48, Brexit means Brexit!

As of right now UK is fucked, no deal, caos at customs and a potential hard border in Ireland, but if they delay there's European Parliament elections in May and I don't think the UK wants to vote on European MPs if they're leaving

I'm sure Farage wouldn't mind missing his severance package for another year or two.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Who would have guessed the US would not have the most dysfunctional government in 2018/2019?

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I realize the UK's parliamentary system is not my strong suit, but is there a point at which May can just say anything she wants? Or at least propose anything? They COULD dissolve the government and put someone else in but no one wants to be in that position. After all, being in a leadership role no one else would willingly accept kind of makes you untouchable.

She can say whatever she wants, she and no one has a deal that can get through Parliament.
And her resigning changes nothing to the deadline, there's no time for new elections and the hard brexiters who would want to replace her (although the circumstances are far from ideal for them) also don't have the votes in Parliament to become Prime Minister, so yes in that regard she is untouchable because there's enough chaos as is lol

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
She can say whatever she wants, she and no one has a deal that can get through Parliament.
And her resigning changes nothing to the deadline, there's no time for new elections and the hard brexiters who would want to replace her (although the circumstances are far from ideal for them) also don't have the votes in Parliament to become Prime Minister, so yes in that regard she is untouchable because there's enough chaos as is lol

All true.

I realize she has no actual power, but if I was May I'd be yelling at everyone, "What the fuck do you want out of me? Sort your shit out. What, you're gonna kick me out? Good luck!"

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how much I can personally project into every single micro update about the Mueller investigation. This means that, that means this.

Right now I'm circling around acceptance. Not 'nothing will happen,' since that is already thoroughly untrue but more like, 'nothing really changes.' It is more or less going to be impossible to remove Trump from office, which is what I actually want. It's just not going to happen and I'm making my peace with it.

Impeachment is justified based on what we know now, without any further revelations.

My hope is that the release of the Mueller Report will shake us out of this holding pattern that we've been in since roughly the Steele Dossier. Once everyone's not holding their breath waiting for future revelations to save us, and after we get over Republicans gloating about the report, there's going to be a lot of digests, summaries, and retrospectives about how we got here, and where we go from here.

The Russians ran a targeted propaganda campaign by buying facebook ads in America, with the apparent goal of electing Donald Trump. Paul Manafort leaked internal polling data that would be very useful in such an operation to Russian intelligence. That's true now, and it'll be true after the report comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.