• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
i'm not exaggerating, people here literally do want her to lose her job over comments like this, not just "be a tad more cautious"

but also, if the same people truly supported the diversity she represents, in my opinion theyd be working to amplify and clarify her voice, not tone police it out existence

i mean that she came from a refugee camp... i find that to be an incredibly inspiring journey, but go ahead and belittle it because it was a blue seat
Point out the people who want her to lose her job or fuck off

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Point out the people who want her to lose her job or fuck off

this is the extent that i will play this game

Hot bullshit take right there.
She was also defending the Maduro dictatorship, which in my opinion is indefensible even if she is ignorant on the matter. She's a Congresswoman. She should educate herself before she speaks on hot issues like this. And if she's wrong, she needs to apologize. She didn't.

Because of how amateur hour she is and is causing damage to our party, yes, I do think she should be primaried. I don't want someone who is so shitty at this to be representing Dems in Congress.

OP
OP
Midnight Jon

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
if the same people truly supported the diversity she represents, in my opinion theyd be working to amplify and clarify her voice, not tone police it out existence
actually pretty weird how apparently your position is that no mistakes can be called out to a degree deemed by anyone else to be appropriate if the person making the mistakes is sufficiently "diverse"

Oct 25, 2017
Oh jeez, I logged into facebook for the first time in a year and saw someone I used to drink with went on an insane rant about how lbgtq community is part of the bourgeois and is no friend to working people.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Nazis telling their opponents to not be anti-semitic lol

Kevin McCarthy is an embarrassment.

Amazing how the GOP gave a complete moron one of the top positions in their party because no one else wanted it. No forward thinking at all. Nancy stayed as minority leader and thus was in a prime position to take the reins when Dems got the House back.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Both of these things can be true: 1. Republicans are taking advantage of the situation for political gain, and, whatsmore, it is hypocritical; and 2. The comments have been not great and at the very least she needs to do better on the tweets.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Both of these things can be true: 1. Republicans are taking advantage of the situation for political gain, and, whatsmore, it is hypocritical; and 2. The comments have been not great and at the very least she needs to do better on the tweets.
At the same time, I think it's weird to say that money needs to get out of politics, and that the Ukraine, Russia, Saudis, etc are all buying influence, yet somehow Israel is exempt from it. I get the anti-semitic angle, but to ignore the fact that the state of Israel has enormous influence over congress is foolish.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Ramussen gooses their numbers to send messages to Trump. They allowed it to tank during the shutdown to try and get him to understand how bad the shutdown was hurting him and they're probably now boosting them to try and hope he doesn't shut it down again.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Huh...Omar is saying the only reason people support Israel is the "benjamins baby". Lobbying is what lobbyists do.

The Teachers Union lobbying budget is like 5 million dollars - is that bad? Are Dems only supporting teachers because of money?

But the bad part about Omar's insinuation is that that Jewish Money ruling the world is a very very core anti-semitic belief. She can easily make the same point in a better way.

How about we get all of this money out of politics period? I know Omar to be a kind hearted and understanding person. We all knew she was talking about money in politics and not something specific to Jewish peoples. Optics, ya, whatever. AIPAC is still one of the most evil lobbies in this country alongside the NRA.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My old job was organizing student events. There really is nothing worse than booking a room too large for the amount of people that actually show up. It's incredibly embarrassing to everyone involved and I can sympathize with Tulsi on this.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
My old job was organizing student events. There really is nothing worse than booking a room too large for the amount of people that actually show up. It's incredibly embarrassing to everyone involved and I can sympathize with Tulsi on this.
The small nonprofit I used to work at would chronically book rooms too small to make it appear like a madhouse. I hated it because it often meant complete chaos in every aspect.

There's gotta be a middle ground.
---

Convince me that this guy isn't Milo in "disguise."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aj...on-red-carpet/38hP2ZdXXUpdDDZpnjkzlO/amp.html

villarebel-U32853877636kfc-680x383%40CmgSharedContent.com.jpg

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
In other news, the effectiveness of voter ID seems negligible. It doesn't mean that one person being denied to vote is okay, but it does throw some cold water on some Wisconsin narratives post-2016.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Some issues move fast, and thinking changes fast. Progressives should be the ones who can appreciate that better than others.
Right? If you're just going to attack everyone who comes around to your view for flip-flopping, there's no incentive for them to do so.

I think it's okay to question the sincerity sometimes (see Tulsi's night and day shift on LGBT issues), but you don't build a successful social movement from everyone being 100% right from the getgo.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. I thought the defeatism wave would cool down for a bit after the midterms, but my goodness it's only gotten worse.

It's just constant negativity and panicking.
The midterms should be an example of people putting in the work and proving what we can do if we act. I think there is a group of people on this website are just wanting their own narrative to be true.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Right? If you're just going to attack everyone who comes around to your view for flip-flopping, there's no incentive for them to do so.
I have no problem with people changing their mind, I do have problem with people trying to pretend like they didn't change their mind, which is what Kamala Harris is doing here, and that shit is gross.
I mean, she actively campaigned against legalization as recently as 2014. That was an actual campaign issue and she went against it.

Good on her for getting on the right side of history here, but I think she also need to explain how come she was adamantly against it very recently. The fact that she smoked actually make this whole shit worse. Like, you put people in jail for shit you also did and you fought to keep that practice going.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land

I think it's okay to question the sincerity sometimes (see Tulsi's night and day shift on LGBT issues), but you don't build a successful social movement from everyone being 100% right from the getgo.

Sincerity is almost a non factor when it comes to issues that exhibit a strong groundswell of support from the majority in the party. That's what we want, so candidates should be outwardly supportive of it regardless of previous stances or messaging.

Are you talking about weed legalization?

That's certainly an issue that I would expect candidates to appear to have flip flopped on if they were on record about it years ago.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
You ain't gonna do the whole "my views have evolved", you gonna straight up jump to "I'm from Jamaica, we love the ganja!" like it's nothing?
I mean, you know there were video cameras in 2014 and there's a record of you talking about this issue, right?

Hahahahahaha
hahahahaha
hahaha

Her views haven't evolved in the way you're implying. Marijuana activist have been on her for that video for years, as seen here through comments made by journalist and marijuana activist David Downs:

That fact bears mentioning after Ron Gold publicly noted he supports legalization to the KCRA news channel. KCRA then asked Harris about her opinion on the matter. In a video posted Tuesday, Harris laughed and said Gold was entitled to his opinion.

What an abject lack of leadership from the top law enforcement official of the eighth largest economy in the world.

Harris video-taped guffaw is especially galling in the face of the bombshell endorsement of national legalization by the New York Times last week.

But, as he notes:

During the failed bid to put legalization on the 2014 California ballot, Harris' Office gave a rosy assessment of legalization's benefits.

She hasn't threatened doctors and obstructed the implementation of the people's will like Dan Lungren did in 1996 when Prop 215 passed.

She also did her job and green-lit research hemp for California this year.

https://blog.sfgate.com/smellthetruth/2014/08/06/kamala-harris-laughs-at-pot-legalization/

California moved ahead of the entire country on the pot issue largely because of the executive and legislative team that was in place during those times, not in spite of it. These people were never against anything.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

Talking about how people only recently came around to an issue is just a standard part of a primary battle. See: everyone here that gives Bernie shit for his views and votes on gun control when he moved from campaigning in Vermont to campaigning nationally. Because people naturally prefer candidates that held their current position for as long as possible.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not great at understanding the nuances of anti-semitism, but its kind of wild how much a tweet I read as a criticism of the influence of money in politics has exploded into DEFCON 1 level issue.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
The midterms should be an example of people putting in the work and proving what we can do if we act. I think there is a group of people on this website are just wanting their own narrative to be true.

Spot on. November was a turning point and evidence that it's not all downhill.

I'll still read OT for the occasional stupid threads but have started to avoid the political ones. PoliEra will always be where it's at.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I have no problem with people changing their mind, I do have problem with people trying to pretend like they didn't change their mind, which is what Kamala Harris is doing here, and that shit is gross.
I mean, she actively campaigned against legalization as recently as 2014. That was an actual campaign issue and she went against it.

Good on her for getting on the right side of history here, but I think she also need to explain how come she was adamantly against it very recently. The fact that she smoked actually make this whole shit worse. Like, you put people in jail for shit you also did and you fought to keep that practice going.

Her actual stated position was:

Harris has said California should wait and watch how Colorado resolves issues that arise from its legalization of pot.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...ala-harris-re-elected-state-attorney-general/

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Talking about how people only recently came around to an issue is just a standard part of a primary battle. See: everyone here that gives Bernie shit for his views and votes on gun control when he moved from campaigning in Vermont to campaigning nationally. Because people naturally prefer candidates that held their current position for as long as possible.
tbf she co-sponsored Booker's marijuana bill as early as last year. I don't know if she made a statement of public support earlier than that.

Of course, that was probably a move anticipating a presidential run, but it's not like she flipped on this like yesterday.

But then you have people misinterpreting even the House results based on their own ignorance. Like some guy the other day was saying the House results weren't important because "it was a good map for Democrats" based on a comment he overheard on CNN.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I never understood why candidates having evolving stances is seen as a bad thing. Culture and society changes quickly and people's thinking changes with it. It's normal. There are plenty of things I believed in 2014 that I don't believe any longer.

Even if we're being cynical and think Kamala changed her stance on marijuana strictly to be more electable...isn't that democracy working as intended? I want my representatives to advocate for the interests of the people who elect them, not forever be beholden to comments they made in the past because they are afraid of appearing inconsistent.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not great at understanding the nuances of anti-semitism, but its kind of wild how much a tweet I read as a criticism of the influence of money in politics has exploded into DEFCON 1 level issue.

Did they get on Trump for his Soros' tweet? Not that they are the same, but do they call out actual defamation ?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
tbf she co-sponsored Booker's marijuana bill as early as last year. I don't know if she made a statement of public support earlier than that.

Of course, that was probably a move anticipating a presidential run, but it's not like she flipped on this like yesterday.
Yeah it's not an issue for me but in 2010 she supported medical use but not recreational use and helped stop Prop 19. A bit behind the curve but nothing egregious.

My point is more about why this sort of attack happens during primaries. People will find any difference they can to make their preferred candidate look better and try to turn small things into big things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.