• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
She probably could have made the same point without tripping alarms. Or maybe she couldn't have. Not sure. The left consistently underestimates the degree of devotion to Israel the mainstream media and political establishment have. And also like the actual voting populace.
I'm betting that even if she said it better, people would still be going after her because she is Muslim. Not the same nuclear bomb level they are now, but considering how butthurt they are over her and Tlaib being pro-BDS, they would definitely still go after her.

If she said it better, I wouldn't have had a problem with it and would have even defended her. And I don't even like her anymore because of the Maduro shit.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totally, AIPAC super sucks. I'm honestly more annoyed at people telling me what is and isn't antisemitic. Like, different people can feel different ways (I personally understood what she was talking about, but I can understand why someone might be upset), but as with other minority issues, it's best to err on the side of caution.

It's kinda like the whole "come at the king, best not miss" thing, I guess. If you're gonna come for a lobby as huge and powerful as Israel, you gotta be precise and thorough. I'm not mad at her, really. I'm just upset that the vagueness of her tweet has sparked all of this, and I'm annoyed at some people trying to goysplain at me over this.
I generally disagree that gentiles can't understand what antisemitism is.
Also, do you really not see that the only thing you do is support people who would call any criticism of AIPAC antisemitism?
While you might not be there for them when they call Obama an antisemite, in your actions you are still providing a cover of respectability for that grabage.
And for what?
So that Ilhan Omar learn phrasing better?
I mean, we're not worried about Ilhan Omar leading an antisemite agenda in congress, right?

Oct 25, 2017
She probably could have made the same point without tripping alarms. Or maybe she couldn't have. Not sure. The left consistently underestimates the degree of devotion to Israel the mainstream media and political establishment have. And also like the actual voting populace.

No matter what she would've said we would be right here. It's not the wording or phrasing it's that she, a Muslim, is speaking on AIPAC that gets the backlash.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
She said "Benjamins" followed by music signs referring to the way money is reffered to in rap music. Out of touch farts not understanding the reference and taking it as racism is on them not her.
That sounds an awful lot like privilege.

Racism, misogyny, homophobia, anti-semitism; just because it's not intentional doesn't mean it's not hurtful. You can live in your bubble and insist everyone else is wrong and you are free to say these offensive things because "I don't mean it like that", or you can learn and grow as a person and aim to do better next time.

Her statement was unfortunate. She should have been more careful. That doesn't mean she's anti-semitic or a bad person or whatever. She just said something dumb. Acknowledge it and move on.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
On Omar: The all about the Benjamin's tweet was bad. She deserved some crap for that. The followup highlighting AIPAC in particular was fine. She's entirely correct about AIPAC's outsized influence, and money is a big part of that. Part of why this thing got signal boosted so hard is indeed because she's Muslim. The whole issue is incredibly fraught and pretending otherwise is dumb.

-

So anyway I heard Gilly's segment on Lovett or Leave It and that shit was GREAT. she started out a bit weak but when she got more animated I got reminded whh she's my top pick.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Totally, AIPAC super sucks. I'm honestly more annoyed at people telling me what is and isn't antisemitic. Like, different people can feel different ways (I personally understood what she was talking about, but I can understand why someone might be upset), but as with other minority issues, it's best to err on the side of caution.

It's kinda like the whole "come at the king, best not miss" thing, I guess. If you're gonna come for a lobby as huge and powerful as Israel, you gotta be precise and thorough. I'm not mad at her, really. I'm just upset that the vagueness of her tweet has sparked all of this, and I'm annoyed at some people trying to goysplain at me over this.

I can get behind this.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I generally disagree that gentiles can't understand what antisemitism is.
Also, do you really not see that the only thing you do is support people who would call any criticism of AIPAC antisemitism?
While you might not be there for them when they call Obama an antisemite, in your actions you are still providing a cover of respectability for that grabage.
And for what?
So that Ilhan Omar learn phrasing better?
I mean, we're not worried about Ilhan Omar leading an antisemite agenda in congress, right?

I suppose you're right. I'm just tired, man. I've had people giving me shit for being Jewish my whole life, so all of this is super frustrating. I hope she does better, but I do think this is all being blown out of proportion.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017

They've been coming after her since day one same with Ellison when he was elected solely because of their religion, skin and gender. The republicans have already crafted resolutions to criticize her and other before any of this and she's not backing off and good for her. They where going to pester her no matter what.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds an awful lot like privilege.

Racism, misogyny, homophobia, anti-semitism; just because it's not intentional doesn't mean it's not hurtful. You can live in your bubble and insist everyone else is wrong and you are free to say these offensive things because "I don't mean it like that", or you can learn and grow as a person and aim to do better next time.

Her statement was unfortunate. She should have been more careful. That doesn't mean she's anti-semitic or a bad person or whatever. She just said something dumb. Acknowledge it and move on.

You didn't even have the facts correct. Don't engage me again.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have a problem with the tweet, but I've basically never encountered anti-Semitism in the wild in the US, and I'm from the south. It's something I hear about some really old people doing sometimes. Omar's only a little older than me and she's been here since she was 13 or so, so she's just not someone whose statements I'm going to scrutinize much.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So they are calling Rep. Omar antisemitic. Nice . On this matter. Democrats are no different to Trump
No, they are calling her comment anti-semitic.

You can say anti-semitic things without meaning to do so. She should have an apology prepared by the end of today, and that will be the end of it for Democrats.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

Stephen Miller just had a call with surrogates arguing against any limit on detention beds and saying more beds are needed, per person on call. Lots of harsh rhetoric toward Democrats.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
So, I don't follow international politics are much, but serious question:

With AfD sort of falling downward and everyone refusing to form a coalition with them, the Jamaica coalition here gets 46% to 39% for CDU/CSU and FDP. I know that minority governments are sort of frowned upon in Germany, but if they were able to clear 50% of the seats... who would be the Prime Minister if the Greens were the lead of the government? Since they share their leadership?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

Stephen Miller just had a call with surrogates arguing against any limit on detention beds and saying more beds are needed, per person on call. Lots of harsh rhetoric toward Democrats.

we're 100% having another shut down.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

With AfD sort of falling downward and everyone refusing to form a coalition with them, the Jamaica coalition here gets 46% to 39% for CDU/CSU. I know that minority governments are sort of frowned upon in Germany, but if they were able to clear 50% of the seats... who would be the Prime Minister if the Greens were the lead of the government? Since they share their leadership?

Seeing The Greens supplant SPD has been wild.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Their statement doesn't really leave a lot of room for that nuance -- they're basically calling her anti-semitic.
Their statement literally says it's OK to criticize the Israel lobby.

You just can't do it by relying on anti-semitic tropes. When in doubt, don't tweet that shit, especially when there's a lifetime of intricacy surrounding the issue in question.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

With AfD sort of falling downward and everyone refusing to form a coalition with them, the Jamaica coalition here gets 46% to 39% for CDU/CSU. I know that minority governments are sort of frowned upon in Germany, but if they were able to clear 50% of the seats... who would be the Prime Minister if the Greens were the lead of the government? Since they share their leadership?

I wanna say that'll come down to whoever else is a part of the government and who they prefer.

Yup, it was always going to happen. Trump is 100% going to call an emergency.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing The Greens supplant SPD has been wild.
I think it sort of makes sense -- they're the ones best positioned to be the clearest antithesis to CDU/CSU *and* AfD.

"We never joined CDU/CSU's coalition and enabled them" vs "I guess we did that"

And then

"Immigrants are bad" vs "Immigrants are good"

Plus they're being helped by the climate protests right now happening all over Europe.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No, they are calling her comment anti-semitic.

You can say anti-semitic things without meaning to do so. She should have an apology prepared by the end of today, and that will be the end of it for Democrats.

There is no
Room here .
They are calling her antisemitic . This is such an embarrassment. It's not even about her word smithing anymore.

At this time she should just resign. She knows democrats don't see her as a legitimate diverse candidate but a token they can talk in election press releases. Her tweeting skills need work but she deserves better then this

Oct 25, 2017
Their statement doesn't really leave a lot of room for that nuance -- they're basically calling her anti-semitic.

I agree, and if the Democratic Party ever wonders why sometimes it can't turn black people out, their response to Omar's comments are a good example of why this happens.

It's in times like this that I wish there were a viable party for me to vote for that didn't target its own black and brown voters and representatives in the name of protecting white privilege. It's just a bummer. I won't give up on voting because that isn't an option to me, but I have to admit that I again see why some voters who look like me throw their hands up and stop bothering.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
There is no
Room here .
They are calling her antisemitic . This is such an embarrassment. It's not even about her word smithing anymore.

At this time she should just resign. She knows democrats don't see her as a legitimate diverse candidate but a token they can talk in election press releases. Her tweeting skills need work but she deserves better then this

Her resigning would be the most stupid goddamn thing she could ever do.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax knew this when he requested the FBI to investigate:

Geoff Bennett @GeoffRBennett

A law enforcement official tells @PeteWilliamsNBC the FBI is not looking into the two sexual assault allegations against Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax, because it has no jurisdiction to do so.

Two days ago, bit from Politico: Fairfax calls on FBI to investigate sexual assault accusations

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax on Saturday called for an FBI investigation into two women's allegations that he had sexually assaulted them, saying that his interactions with both of the accusers were consensual.
"As an officer of the court and a former federal prosecutor, I have dedicated my life to the law and due process," Fairfax said in a statement. "Consequently, I call on all appropriate and impartial investigatory authorities, including the FBI, to investigate fully and thoroughly the allegations against me by Ms. Watson and Dr. Tyson. I ask that all three of us be respected during this process."
----------------------
"Lt. Governor Fairfax's assertion that these sexual assaults were consensual, while simultaneously trying both on and off the record to discredit the victims, says all you need to know about his lack of fitness to serve in public office," attorneys Debra Katz and Lisa Banks said in a statement.
Katz and Banks accused Fairfax of attempting "to mislead the public" with his call for an inquiry by the FBI, "which has no jurisdiction in this matter."

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If he calls an emergency there won't be a shutdown. He's afraid to do it though so that's why we will shutdown again.
If it happens I wanna say the shutdown will come first, they probably think it'd give him cover. "Oh we tried to make a deal but look what happened, those Dems left us no choice"

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Better than simply making an apology for saying something that carried a connotation she didn't intend?

How is that at all a reasonable take?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Their statement literally says it's OK to criticize the Israel lobby.

You just can't do it by relying on anti-semitic tropes.
There's a difference between "There are valid criticisms against the Israeli lobby but it's important to clearly separate yourself from anti-semitic tropes" and "Omar used anti-semitic tropes and prejudicial accusations about Israel's supporters." I think their statement is more likely to inflame the infighting outlined by Matt Yglesias' piece.

And the statement actually doesn't say it's OK to criticize the Israel lobby.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Fairfax knew this when he requested the FBI to investigate:

Geoff Bennett @GeoffRBennett

A law enforcement official tells @PeteWilliamsNBC the FBI is not looking into the two sexual assault allegations against Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax, because it has no jurisdiction to do so.

Two days ago, bit from Politico: Fairfax calls on FBI to investigate sexual assault accusations

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax on Saturday called for an FBI investigation into two women's allegations that he had sexually assaulted them, saying that his interactions with both of the accusers were consensual.
"As an officer of the court and a former federal prosecutor, I have dedicated my life to the law and due process," Fairfax said in a statement. "Consequently, I call on all appropriate and impartial investigatory authorities, including the FBI, to investigate fully and thoroughly the allegations against me by Ms. Watson and Dr. Tyson. I ask that all three of us be respected during this process."
----------------------
"Lt. Governor Fairfax's assertion that these sexual assaults were consensual, while simultaneously trying both on and off the record to discredit the victims, says all you need to know about his lack of fitness to serve in public office," attorneys Debra Katz and Lisa Banks said in a statement.
Katz and Banks accused Fairfax of attempting "to mislead the public" with his call for an inquiry by the FBI, "which has no jurisdiction in this matter."

I hate Fairfax so much.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm leaning against Beto making a presidential run at this point. It doesn't seem like his heart's in it - if he really wanted to go for it, he would have been laying the groundwork in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina etc. and it doesn't appear he's been doing that.

He'll either announce a run for Senate in 2020 or stay out of this election cycle, I imagine.

But his approval ratings have been skyrocketing lately!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
This is fucking stupid now. Obviously their endgoal was to kill her seat outright, but this is the next best.
Again, Omar might have made some bad tweets but acting like this is crisis mode is wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.