• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SMH. You do realize that the Dem party has a huge swath of black voters, right? And again, Omar has been the focus of bullshit attacks for awhile, and her criticism of lobbying for a right-wing state that is murdering brown people is simply fine.

Comparing Omar's critique of lobbying for a state, Jewish or not, that is massacring people with the tacit support of the U.S. to Franken sexually assaulting women is the kind of bullshit that is so ridiculous, your post almost didn't warrant responding to except that I wanted to point out just how fucking ridiculous your response was. Holy shit, that's just utterly ridiculous as a comparison.

And it is about Omar being black, a woman, and a Muslim. As others have pointed out, the ADL ain't been on Trump's ass every day for his shit, or the Soros scaremongering.

I do appreciate how apparently our country yet again capes for people who have run toward whiteness and the power it entails to beat down on yet another black person, ooh, and a Muslim on top of it. Some Jewish-Americans really need to have a come to Jesus moment and consider that they're embracing whiteness and wielding their privilege in a way that is as disgusting as when some dickheaded racist WASP American does it.

Again, this is just a reminder to black people: The second we get a better deal than the Democratic Party, we need to leave it. It's a marriage of convenience.

Yes it has a huge black population and that population showed its importance in 2016, 2018, and will hopefully continue moving forward. The leadership has made inroads of recognizing this. But it also has a huge Jewish community as well.

Me comparing Omar to Franken was to combat your argument that Dem leadership only went after her because she is a woman of color and Franken is an example of the opposite. Good job on missing the point and then making a strawman.

As to Jews needing a come to Jesus moment? No shit? Its actually a topic of debate in the Jewish community. I am not one of those people.

Finally, blacks leave the Dem party? And go where? To the GOP? Third party? Libertarian? Green? What. Do tell.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This story from last week make the Democrats look even worse

A statement condemning King was put out. Neither is being officially censured, King was referred to the ethics committee to have it looked into because they didn't want to establish a precedent of leadership jumping past it and because it wasn't clear it was even appropriate despite him being shitty.

The comparison ignores all context but you posted it cause "gotta own the Dems"
They're absolutely showing their ass on this one.

And I'm still struggling to think of a way to criticize AIPAC without bringing money and thus complaints of anti-Semitism into the debate.
Matt Yglesias has been teeing off on twitter the past 24 hours about them and hasn't gotten people yelling at him! Because he's being precise.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Just to so you set your expectation straight, while pretty much anyone will be better than Netanyahu, there is no reason to believe that Gantz is going to be any different when it comes to the Palestinians.
He's also a war criminal, not in the "every general in the IDF is a war criminal" kinda of way, but in the "supervised a massive bombing of civilian neighborhood in order to try to kill a capture Israeli soldier because POWs are problematic politically" kind of way.

Oct 25, 2017
Omar and especially Tlaib need to be in Congress. I don't give a fuck about people's calls to primary her. If she doesn't make any more fuck ups, calling for her resignation is asinine and alarmist. and tbh showing of how willing people are in tossing black people aside when it's not beneficial for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it has a huge black population and that population showed its importance in 2016, 2018, and will hopefully continue moving forward. The leadership has made inroads of recognizing this. But it also has a huge Jewish community as well.

Me comparing Omar to Franken was to combat your argument that Dem leadership only went after her because she is a woman of color and Franken is an example of the opposite. Good job on missing the point and then making a strawman.

As to Jews needing a come to Jesus moment? No shit? Its actually a topic of debate in the Jewish community. I am not one of those people.

Finally, blacks leave the Dem party? And go where? To the GOP? Third party? Libertarian? Green? What. Do tell.

I didn't make the argument that Dem leadership only went after Omar because she is a woman of color, so actually, no, you've erected a strawman in the first place. They are obviously motivated by her status as a black Muslim woman who isn't afraid to attack their support of a state that's exterminating brown people to shut her up. That's absolutely part of it.

I didn't tell you that you are a person who needs to come to grips with your own racism and embracing of white privilege. I made a general comment about some of the members of the Jewish community (Jared Kushner being like the most extreme version of this, but also the ADL's leadership, for that matter) that need to do so. It's interesting that you thought that I was talking directly to you about that, though.

I also said "as soon as they can get a better deal." Bruh, you gotta READ and UNDERSTAND what I write. Sadly, that "better deal" won't ever be available, or if it is, it will be after I'm dead. We're stuck with the Democratic Party in the meantime.

But here's my main point: If this is how the Democratic Party is going to react when its Jewish supporters and party members and its black supporters and party members have differences, then fuck the Democratic Party. They'll get my votes because they're the only viable option, but again, this is a reminder that the non-black leadership is not my ally. It's good to have these reminders because I think some black folks feel like they're really a part of the party, but nah, that's not really how it is.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Omar and especially Tlaib need to be in Congress. I don't give a fuck about people's calls to primary her. If she doesn't make any more fuck ups, calling for her resignation is asinine and alarmist. and tbh showing of how willing people are in tossing black people aside when it's not beneficial for them.

Yeah, they really shouldn't go anywhere. I like both of them a lot.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think people are becoming a bit trigger happy with the "RESIGN BITCH" calls (not that I'm seeing any serious ones for Omar right now).

If you don't like the things she's saying, fund a primary challenger. House elections are only every two years.

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't make the argument that Dem leadership only went after Omar because she is a woman of color, so actually, no, you've erected a strawman in the first place. They are obviously motivated by her status as a black Muslim woman who isn't afraid to attack their support of a state that's exterminating brown people to shut her up. That's absolutely part of it.

I didn't tell you that you are a person who needs to come to grips with your own racism and embracing of white privilege. I made a general comment about some of the members of the Jewish community (Jared Kushner being like the most extreme version of this, but also the ADL's leadership, for that matter) that need to do so. It's interesting that you thought that I was talking directly to you about that, though.

I also said "as soon as they can get a better deal." Bruh, you gotta READ and UNDERSTAND what I write. Sadly, that "better deal" won't ever be available, or if it is, it will be after I'm dead. We're stuck with the Democratic Party in the meantime.

But here's my main point: If this is how the Democratic Party is going to react when its Jewish supporters and party members and its black supporters and party members have differences, then fuck the Democratic Party. They'll get my votes because they're the only viable option, but again, this is a reminder that the non-black leadership is not my ally. It's good to have these reminders because I think some black folks feel like they're really a part of the party, but nah, that's not really how it is.

My apologies for misunderstanding you and jumping to a conclusion. And let me be clear, i'm not saying the dem leadership is doing the right thing morally because i actually agree with Omar. But politically speaking, they are. Now could they have toned it down a bit? Yep but they had to condemn it nevertheless.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about me saying she should be primaried last night, like 99% of that is because of the Maduro comments, not this. I know multiple people from Venezuela irl and defending Maduro's regime is just indefensible to me, even if it was from a point of ignorance. If she apologized for not knowing the situation well enough, I wouldn't be so upset, but she didn't. To me, personally, I would want someone to challenge her for that alone. I would feel that way no matter what color or religion she was.

Do I think she should resign or be forced out? Fuck no.

Oct 25, 2017

How is Franken comparable to this? He assaulted people. Please.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this thread has gone from praising Pelosi's political theater to falling for it. I can't think of a better statement to make it clear that Dems take anti-semitism seriously while also taking some heat off Omar (but I guess I'm the only one who feels that way about the latter).

Oct 25, 2017
My apologies for misunderstanding you and jumping to a conclusion. And let me be clear, i'm not saying the dem leadership is doing the right thing morally because i actually agree with Omar. But politically speaking, they are. Now could they have toned it down a bit? Yep but they had to condemn it nevertheless.

That's cool and no worries, but I disagree that they had to condemn it as quickly as they did without even trying to broker a dialogue here or without at least a little pushback to the ADL for jumping on Omar, but not on Trump. What signal are they sending to their black voters or their brown voters or their Muslim voters? This essentially says to me that they value Jewish voters over black voters. If they wanted to send the message that they want my vote and then they want me to shut up and not critique the white folks who run the whole party, they couldn't have done a better job than that response.

I'm just so angry now, and I've been angry since 2016 because the way in which this country doesn't give a fuck about me or my life or my opinion has revealed itself as even deeper than I ever might have dreamed, and the one party that I have to vote for here doesn't really care either. And I'm angry that supposed allies like Jewish-American organizations are out here doing this to black folks with legitimate criticisms of pro-Israel lobbying. I just don't have the patience for this shit anymore, so that's why I have such a visceral response here.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll play a different game.

Is Maduro still a legitimate president of Venezuela?

he has more of a mandate than Guaido, actual Venezuelans voted for him, unlike Guaido whose electorate consists of Mike Pence, John Bolton, and Elliott Abrams

on the topic at hand, Pelosi's statement was 100% drafted by AIPAC. dem leadership MUST condemn hatred and bigotry of all forms, except of course when they are state-sponsored.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Shutdown has like 2 days to get a deal as iirc, the house is bound by a new rule that requires a bill be on the floor for like 2-3? days or something before a vote. So we're in for it.
NPR had a good article on how the new dilemmas are about more moral isues, such as how many tend of thousands of beds ICE can have for detainees. Everyone vs. targeted criminals.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all just wait until Rashida leads the new Dem class to the first Palestine trip in August. an absolute shit show is coming.
Tlaib, who is the first Palestinian-American woman to be elected to Congress, hopes to draw on her roots in the region to offer her fellow incoming representatives an alternative introduction to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. She said her group will focus on issues like Israel's detention of Palestinian children, education, access to clean water, and poverty. She may even take them to Beit Ur al-Foqa, the village where Tlaib's grandmother lives, in the northern West Bank.
It is unclear who will join Tlaib on the trip. She is still working out the details of when it will take place and what advocacy organizations she will partner with to fund the delegation. But Tlaib is clear about one thing: She wants her delegation to humanize Palestinians, provide an alternative perspective to the one AIPAC pushes, and highlight the inherent inequality of Israel's system of military occupation in Palestinian territories, which Tlaib likens to what African-Americans in the United States endured in the Jim Crow era. She is not planning any meetings with the Palestinian Authority or with Israeli government officials, a mainstay of the AIPAC trips.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good statement.
he has more of a mandate than Guaido, actual Venezuelans voted for him, unlike Guaido whose electorate consists of Mike Pence, John Bolton, and Elliott Abrams
Actual Venezuelans voted for the members of the National Assembly. Which was the last time Venezuela had legitimate elections. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Assembly_(Venezuela)
If you're talking about me saying she should be primaried last night, like 99% of that is because of the Maduro comments, not this. I know multiple people from Venezuela irl and defending Maduro's regime is just indefensible to me, even if it was from a point of ignorance. If she apologized for not knowing the situation well enough, I wouldn't be so upset, but she didn't. To me, personally, I would want someone to challenge her for that alone. I would feel that way no matter what color or religion she was.

Do I think she should resign or be forced out? Fuck no.
This is my position as well. RTing Greenwald and the pro-Maduro propaganda lines stuff make me believe we can do better. This incident isn't coloring my views on that.

Oct 25, 2017
I like Omar. But she has to realize she's not as twitter savvy as AOC. She should have from the start said she was talking about AIPAC. She's a unique congresswoman. Anything she says will be looked at harshly. Unfortunately.

LinktothePastGOAT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool and no worries, but I disagree that they had to condemn it as quickly as they did without even trying to broker a dialogue here or without at least a little pushback to the ADL for jumping on Omar, but not on Trump. What signal are they sending to their black voters or their brown voters or their Muslim voters? This essentially says to me that they value Jewish voters over black voters. If they wanted to send the message that they want my vote and then they want me to shut up and not critique the white folks who run the whole party, they couldn't have done a better job than that response.

I'm just so angry now, and I've been angry since 2016 because the way in which this country doesn't give a fuck about me or my life or my opinion has revealed itself as even deeper than I ever might have dreamed, and the one party that I have to vote for here doesn't really care either. And I'm angry that supposed allies like Jewish-American organizations are out here doing this to black folks with legitimate criticisms of pro-Israel lobbying. I just don't have the patience for this shit anymore, so that's why I have such a visceral response here.

And that's a fair point. The dem leadership probably felt the longer this went on the worse it'd be but you're right, that doesnt justify not slowing down and doing this the right way.

As to your other points, nothing i can say as a white male since i'll never experience what you have and do. All i can say is your justifiable and righteous anger is what is needed for people like myself to actually start understanding and hearing about the issues we never really have to face head on. Also know that there are leaders in the Jewish community who are trying to do better.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Matt Yglesias has been teeing off on twitter the past 24 hours about them and hasn't gotten people yelling at him! Because he's being precise.
Would you mind giving a few examples of what he's saying? I deleted my Twitter a few months back to protest Jack being a dipshit so I pretty much only see tweets when they're linked here.

Oct 31, 2017
There is no way of criticizing Israel lobby interference in American politics without invoking tropes. What she said is true and Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic Leadership should kindly fuck off.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like Omar. But she has to realize she's not as twitter savvy as AOC. She should have from the start said she was talking about AIPAC. She's a unique congresswoman. Anything she says will be looked at harshly. Unfortunately.
And yet I fear what most aspiring democrats will learn for that is that it's best not to talk about AIPAC.
Because I can't think of any other issue where such level of faux pas would have caused such reaction.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Good statement.
I kinda wish she didn't have to add "or the NRA or the fossil fuel..." there, but I totally understand why she did.
I think it's important to distinguish that she's arguing against big money lobby groups rather than "the Jewish agenda." It's a very good statement and I like that she's not backing down in her criticism of AIPAC.

Oct 25, 2017
And that's a fair point. The dem leadership probably felt the longer this went on the worse it'd be but you're right, that doesnt justify not slowing down and doing this the right way.

As to your other points, nothing i can say as a white male since i'll never experience what you have and do. All i can say is your justifiable and righteous anger is what is needed for people like myself to actually start understanding and hearing about the issues we never really have to face head on. Also know that there are leaders in the Jewish community who are trying to do better.

I gotcha. And in response, because I feel it important to put this here, I should say that my defense of Omar is not some sort of "defend every black person with a controversial opinion about Jewish people" thing here, on my part and to be clear to you or other Jewish posters. I'm not up in here defending Alice Walker or Louis Farrakhan or people like that whose rhetoric is just typical traditional white anti-Semitic rhetoric. So I recognize that there is still lots and lots and lots of anti-Semitism and I'm not trying to downplay that at all.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you mind giving a few examples of what he's saying? I deleted my Twitter a few months back to protest Jack being a dipshit so I pretty much only see tweets when they're linked here.
Here's the thread teeing off. https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1094785629249028096
There is no way of criticizing Israel lobby interference in American politics without invoking tropes. What she said is true and Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic Leadership should kindly fuck off.
Yes, there is. See the tweet above.

If you can't do it without invoking them, what we have is a failure of vocabulary and imagination.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Good statement.

Actual Venezuelans voted for the members of the National Assembly. Which was the last time Venezuela had legitimate elections. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Assembly_(Venezuela)

This is my position as well. RTing Greenwald and the pro-Maduro propaganda lines stuff make me believe we can do better. This incident isn't coloring my views on that.
Don't even bother responding to that troll. I ignored him last night and he's been trolling all my posts anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Framing the Palestinian issue as Jim Crow is good messaging from Rashida for the black voting populace. I'm expecting AOC and Ayanna to attend as well.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's important to distinguish that she's arguing against big money lobby groups rather than "the Jewish agenda." It's a very good statement and I like that she's not backing down in her criticism of AIPAC.
I think it's very important somebody argues against the Israeli agenda, though right now, I totally understand why she'd want to pivot away from that.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
And yet I fear what most aspiring democrats will learn for that is that it's best not to talk about AIPAC.
Because I can't think of any other issue where such level of faux pas would have caused such reaction.
I think aspiring dems in general should re-evaluate how they message. Twitter is a mess, has been a mess, and will continue to be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.