• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Kamala/Jerry Brown 2020.

"California cleaning up your shit."
A joke I'm sure, but there will never be a ticket with two candidates from the same state. The Electoral College forbids electors from voting for a candidate for both President and Vice President who are from the same state.

If Harris-Brown was a real thing, either the 55 California electors would have to write in someone else for Vice President (which would send the decision to the Senate if the Democrats won), or split their votes so Harris and Brown both got over 270 to win.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
ha, with the caveat they don't kill each other first.

I wonder how much calculus is going to be about uniting the geographical coalitions, with say a coastal and a midwestern candidate, versus the more cynical "we haven't even elected a woman president or vice president, is putting two women on the ballot together politically viable?"
This, and Klobuchar's Senate relationships, are why I think a Harris/Klobuchar ticket might be the most viable option for an all-women ticket. Not a dissimilar dynamic from Obama and Biden, and what one brought to the table to shore up the other one.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, Ted Lieu's been a great follow
Anti Ted Lieuism is real and I am grateful for the poliera members who are educating me on the painful history of anti Ted Lieu tropes. My intention is never to offend the posters of this thread or Ted Lieu followers as a whole. We have to always be willing to step back and think through criticism, this is why I unequivocally apologize.

That, and the fact that's I've been making dumb Ted Lieu and the Pharmacists jokes for like 4 years straight.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The only people who care about Warren's native american stuff are people that never would have voted for her. She made a mistake and apologized for it in good faith. There's nothing else to it. I'm sure the GOP has more documents that she wrote "Native American" on and will try to drip feed release them through the campaign but I don't see what difference it will make.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a point of reference, Hillary Clinton announced Tim Kaine would be her running mate in July of 2016.

We're a good 17 months out and a lot will happen in that time.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
A joke I'm sure, but there will never be a ticket with two candidates from the same state. The Electoral College forbids electors from voting for a candidate for both President and Vice President who are from the same state.
Jerry Brown is retired. He can move. :)

(But yes, it's a joke. Even if it were possible, he's too old and has cancer. He's not running for anything—to the detriment of all of us.)

The only people who care about Warren's native american stuff are people that never would have voted for her.
The only people who care about Hillary's emails are people who never would have voted for her.

The road you're headed down leads to disappointment. Never assume what the voting public will or will not care about based on your own opinions (even when you know something is objectively bullshit).

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

This was posted yesterday and I said the same thing.

Wow I am not an apple fanboy but love this
It's a business decision for them. Apple and other tech companies rely on talented immigrant employees. If they lose Dreamers and other immigrant workers because of boneheaded Trump decisions, they will lose a key segment of their workforce.

Basically, he isn't saying that out of the goodness of his heart.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Good response, but the fact that the actual response is an attached picture to an actual tweet no longer than the one that got her into hot water just highlights the fact that maybe you shouldn't always be totally short on characters on twitter just for the sake of having a quick "sound bite" tweet that's quick to digest and retweet.

I think AOC has threaded this needle much better and isn't just putting single sentence tweets out there as responses to people. It's not like Twitter has the character limit it once had.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
It's a business decision for them. Apple and other tech companies rely on talented immigrant employees. If they lose Dreamers and other immigrant workers because of boneheaded Trump decisions, they will lose a key segment of their workforce.

I am an Apple fanboy and I co-sign this.

Cook could be argued to be the least worst tech CEO, but that's still a tech CEO.

Last edited:

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

This is worse than what rep Omar said. What the fuck.

I read his thread and he's speaking from his direct experiences with AIPAC so I would expect that to be a lot more nuanced. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to expect someone without that level of personal contact with AIPAC to form criticism without invoking the influence that they hold over politicians and influence usually involves money. Should people without that level of contact just not talk about AIPAC at all to avoid the possibility of falling into anti-Semitic tropes?
They can and should do research to come to an understanding on the nuance without having first hand experience with it.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good response, but the fact that the actual response is an attached picture to an actual tweet no longer than the one that got her into hot water just highlights the fact that maybe you shouldn't always be totally short on character on twitter just for the sake of having a quick sound tweet that's easy to digest.

I think AOC has threaded this needle much better and isn't just putting single sentence tweets out there as responses to people. It's not like Twitter has the character limit it once had.
That's all I've ever been saying myself, but yet apparently that notion is so super controversial, and it's apparently impossible to handle this stuff with grace, or in a way that won't get you criticized at all, and so there's totally no point in bothering at all, despite stuff like this indicating otherwise and how easy this stuff really is and how you can accomplish her goals and aims without using messy language like that.

This discussion has just been super exhausting due to so many people trying to shove others into binary, this-or-that, yes-or-no boxes when that need not apply at all, and regardless of how many Republicans are obviously only attacking her for completely disingenuous and self-serving reasons, it can also be true at the same time that she did mess up and she can do better without losing anything in the process, as stuff like this response itself shows. Just such an exhausting discussion from wires getting crossed, people accusing others of saying stuff they were never saying to begin with, and trying to force each other into binary boxes without any need. Man...

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They can and should do research to come to an understanding on the nuance without having first hand experience with it.

Indeed, I can also agree that that's terrible on Schumer's part and judging based on the fact that that tweet appears to be from last year and this is the first I'm hearing as it, even as someone who is heavily plugged into politics, doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere near the attention it deserves at the time. We definitely need to be having discussions like this. And that's why, despite my criticisms of her comments, I definitely hope people like Omar stay in Congress, and aren't kicked out or primaried or anything of the sort as we not only need voices like her's, but more of them, so that those type of discussions can be had, precisely because I don't find stuff like what Schumer said cool or helpful at all and we need to do better than that.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's absolutely nothing new. Hillary and Bill have said similar things. The entire Dem apparatus is in a chokehold. Jimmy Carter is the only person who has the right frame of mind for this, but look how he has been smeared and ridiculed by everyone, including the Democrats, in the last 20 years after he flatly called out Israel an apartheid state. This is what we and rep. Omar have been fighting against.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm generally uninterested in what billionaires have to say unless it's "raise my taxes".
Tim Cook personally lobby for a reparation tax holiday, cool that he's for dreamers but I ain't gonna treat him as an ally, nor would I go out of my way to praise his political activity.

Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to corner McCarthy on this. This was taken down because of Pittsburgh shooting, but this type of shit perpetrates racist conspiracies.

DqS4PxhXgAIAQjT.png

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally uninterested in what billionaires have to say unless it's "raise my taxes".
Tim Cook personally lobby for a reparation tax holiday, cool that he's for dreamers but I ain't gonna treat him as an ally, nor would I go out of my way to praise his political activity.

Before we start talking about Tim Cook's political activity at all I would want some clarity on his political donations and Apple's.

Billionaires want you to think about their public statements and not their private choices. The latter are more important.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hot take for the day: pay your fucking child support so you don't get charged with felony refusal to pay child support.

I am unsympathetic to that critique.

The other stuff doesn't sound too good.
With you there. Graffiti is one thing, no one is really "hurt" by it (and a felony seems extreme), but I will take the law's side against anyone blowing off their child support every time.

There's been some drama in my family lately, my grandpa died a few months ago and my uncle is losing his inheritance to go towards covering nineteen years' worth of missed child support payments. Feelings in the family are mixed but I'm firmly in the "maybe you should have tried to find a job instead of drinking yourself stupid" camp.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I really dread liberals going down the path of anyone having a record on crime punishment/prosecution being disqualifying. I want people to pay their child support and not graffiti and not sell drugs in my neighborhood. This cannot become a litmus test.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I really dread liberals going down the path of anyone having a record on crime punishment/prosecution being disqualifying. I want people to pay their child support and not graffiti and not sell drugs in my neighborhood. This cannot become a litmus test.
Only if people shut up about "Copmala."

Status
Not open for further replies.