• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it was more, but for a dude his age 7 years is going to be rough as fuck. Ellis is the one that fucked up, Jackson's ruling seems fair to me.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
He's 70. In 7 years he may well be dead.

I'm not impressed by the sentences but at his age lol I wouldn't be happy

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
The Manafort crimes-to-punishment ratio makes me furious.
Didn't Meek Mill get like 4 years just for popping wheelies?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, were this a case by itself, 7 years of the max 10 would be fair, no?
It's only because of the context of other cases that you feel her sentence isn't fair. It's not her job to make you feel good.
It's not by itself though. I fundamentally disagree with the judges opening statement that the case should be judged by its own merits, we're not in a high school mock trial.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone deserves a harsh sentence to deter other professional ratfucks, it's Manafort. But his career is over, and most of his ill-gotten gains are confiscated, so it could be worse. Ellis is a joke.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't in this case. Like I said, I'll blame both.
But it would. You're forgetting about Manafort's ability to appeal here. Allow outside factors in, that makes it so much easier for Manafort to just have the whole thing dismissed on an appeal as you can't just be selective like that.

Like, I perfectly understand how you feel. It's insane how lightly he's getting off. He does not deserve that light of a sentence, at all, and it's crazy he's getting one. But that's on the first judge. Giving a heavier sentence than one would otherwise just because of another judge's failings is not magically justice. Either a crime deserves a particular sentence, or it doesn't. That justice was not served in one instance is not reason to create further injustices by giving a heavier sentence than one would otherwise to try and "make up for it" or whatever. Justice is supposed to be blind, and for good reason. And what you're taking about is the opposite of that, and I myself would have to argue that Manafort would be fully justified in an appeal of such a sentence in such a situation.

I nonetheless get how you feel. But piling wrongs on top of wrongs would not be the appropriate answer here.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm sure it feels much better to fret about what's perfectly legal while Ellis is cackling over how transparent he is.
I didn't say anything about Ellis, what sentence he handed down was in fact bullshit and I agree with your sentiment there so I don't know why you're coming at me for that tbh.
Whatever, you direct your anger at Jackson all you want, I thought she was perfectly fair and her ruling and that's the only point I wanted to make.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm sure it feels much better to fret about what's perfectly legal while Ellis is cackling over how transparent he is.
But that's not on Kennedy.

Do we want a judge giving a minority a harsher sentence because an earlier judge gave them a light one in a completely unrelated trial? (And obviously this DOES happen from time to time because some judges are fucking terrible and it still SHOULDN'T).

This stuff exists the way it does for good reason, even if it leads to frustration like today. No one would bat an eyelid at the ruling today if Ellis had done his job instead of being a goddamn traitor. Kennedy may have wanted to go harder on Manafort today as a result, but it would have been the wrong thing to do.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of the ruling here, it's extraordinarily clear that the guidelines we use to prosecute white collar are on an absolutely different level than those of lower level crimes in terms of scope of sentencing, extremely punitive sentences on petty crime vs white collar that inflicts millions in losses but does nothing more than slaps on the wrist are going to be galling to anyone who has dealt with courts.

It's hard to walk away from this seeing an absolute criminal still run the chance of not just rotting in prison for what is clearly far more than many unfortunate souls who did far, far less.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A woman got 3 years in prison for falsifying her address so her daughter could go to a better school. Justice isn't fair and primarily dependant on what judge you get and how good your attorneys are

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I think most people would gladly do that amount of time in jail if they were going to get as much money as Manafort stole.

Heck, there are fake CEOs that get paid to do jail time when a big corporation is found guilty of malfeasance.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Why do Manafort lawyers brag about no Russian collusion. Are they working for trump or Manafort ?

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
PAUL MANAFORT, D.O.B. 4/1/1949
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Charged:
  • Residential Mortgage Fraud in the First Degree, a class B felony, 3 counts
  • Attempted Residential Mortgage Fraud in the First Degree, a class C felony, 1 count
  • Conspiracy in the Fourth Degree, a class E felony, 3 counts
  • Falsifying Business Records in the First Degree, a class E felony, 8 counts
  • Scheme to Defraud in the First Degree, a class E felony, 1 count

Status
Not open for further replies.