• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The same reason the New York Times published an op-ed from Putin; clicks.

I'm not sure if this is correct. Their reasoning is weird when you take into account his civil/human rights abuses. But that said, other than the "You must understand Turkey has to deal with IS like this please clap" part of it, it's not a bad opinion piece, and it contrasts heavily with Trump. The fact is, Trump has dismissed the NZ attack as nothing more than a lone wolf, yet Erdogan says this:

Western societies and governments must reject the normalization of racism, xenophobia and Islamophobia, which has been on the rise in recent years. It is crucial to establish that such twisted ideologies, such as anti-Semitism, amount to crimes against humanity

Erdogan is definitely playing a game here, and he has no love for Trump (anymore), but I don't think the WaPo published it purely "for the clicks".

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anybody on the Dem side who doesn't think she would be an excellent president.
I only know people who think she wouldn't be an excellent candidate vs Trump.
i really, really am not looking forward to this primary. I really, really, really hope we can look past "electability" and just try and get the right person in there.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about Elizabeth Warren just now for some reason, and I kinda think she would be an excellent 2020 president because of her ability to just straight up understand shit and propose policy. At a time when our Democratic institutions seem to be failing, someone who specifically can "properly patch up the dam" so to speak may be the best choice.
If that's your most important thing (the policy) then honestly I'd say she's probably better in the Senate than the Executive. But, her recent town halls have shown much improvement in her rhetoric and she's definitely surprised me, so who knows (I say this as a fan).

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that's your most important thing (the policy) then honestly I'd say she's probably better in the Senate than the Executive. But, her recent town halls have shown much improvement in her rhetoric and she's definitely surprised me, so who knows (I say this as a fan).
After this bullshit presidency, I think we need someone who knows exactly what they're talking about, and can explain it easily. I think that person needs to use the bully pulpit to really make sure their proposals get implemented, especially those surrounding money in politics and voting rights. That's not even mentioning all the other policies we desperately need. I think we need an expert in the White House to put us back on track.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about Elizabeth Warren just now for some reason, and I kinda think she would be an excellent 2020 president because of her ability to just straight up understand shit and propose policy. At a time when our Democratic institutions seem to be failing, someone who specifically can "properly patch up the dam" so to speak may be the best choice.
Hell, so much of what she's been suggesting in her campaign is simple sounding but is incredibly transformative. I feel like she's good at understanding the underlying issues at play and targeting a fix that will not only fix the issue but reverse the damage done.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Says the guy who's going to massacre the Kurds once America leaves.

Yeah, it's massively hypocritical of Erdogan, but I just don't see it as particularly bad of WaPo. Then again, I don't see any fundamental difference between this Opinion piece and the ones in the past from Pence or other Republicans - they're all bad people, it's just a matter of how bad.

Jan 15, 2019
Just saw Kamala's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel. She continues to do really well in interviews in my opinion, although she kinda struggled to piece together her point when Jimmy asked her the "why you instead of the other candidates?" question.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, so much of what she's been suggesting in her campaign is simple sounding but is incredibly transformative. I feel like she's good at understanding the underlying issues at play and targeting a fix that will not only fix the issue but reverse the damage done.
Oh absolutely. I'm so, so glad she's in the race because she is at least driving the policy discussion currently. Bernie began the policy movement in 2016, Warren is currently driving it forward.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Even without ending it, the other thing about the electoral college is that it could be allocated a lot more fairly. The easy way to do that would be to increase the size of the house so that electoral college electors per capita can more correctly be distributed to the states. Wyoming currently gets 3 EC votes representing like 300,000 each, while California gets 55 representing well over 700000 each.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Even without ending it, the other thing about the electoral college is that it could be allocated a lot more fairly. The easy way to do that would be to increase the size of the house so that electoral college electors per capita can more correctly be distributed to the states. Wyoming currently gets 3 EC votes representing like 300,000 each, while California gets 55 representing well over 700000 each.

Huh, that's like saying a California vote is worth some fraction of a Wyoming vote, like 2/5ths...but why does that sound familiar

Jan 15, 2019
If I recall, Montana is actually the state most due for a new representative in terms of representatives per capita, which is why neither party really advocates for expanding the House because after you shake out the numbers there's pretty minimal benefit for either party.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
If I recall, Montana is actually the state most due for a new representative in terms of representatives per capita, which is why neither party really advocates for expanding the House because after you shake out the numbers there's pretty minimal benefit for either party.
Beyond it being more fair, the benefit for Democrats in expanding the house would be that it dilutes the impact of the 2 "free" electoral votes that each state get.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that Warren is the one apparently driving bolder, detailed policy and yet isn't attracting support from people purportedly aligned to the policy she advances.
3C62E6915EF2AB9EEBF6712CC4E230CE43CC04B5

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think too many people are focusing on decorum around Sirblowta and not that he's a trashheap.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
How are House Dems polling on the issues and their job performance overall these days?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Harris - not the best pollster but serviceable - has been conducting periodic GCB surveys since late November. They've typically been D+5 to 7.

Even the low end of that range would be more than enough to keep the House with our new members' incumbency and the ongoing realignment. It would probably be enough to get the presidency, too, considering D+2 in 2016 got us within 70,000 votes.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So...Trump took the time to RT a white kid getting harassed at the airport for what reason?

Seems a bit, well, y'know...ironic.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so it's even weirder...a two year old video of a disabled boy getting checked by the TSA he retweeted from Larry the Cable Guys Twitter, and also James Woods is part of the Tweet.

So...peak Trump. Also apparently used to push a "you can't trust big government" narrative.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Elizabeth Warren's problem is that she is far better at doing the job than looking like she can do it. She's that ideal candidate that every HR twit would wave at in favor of an unqualified greasy-haired jackass with a creepy grin and a sign saying "TODAY'S SPECIAL OFFER!", and thus the hiring manager would never hear of her because she wouldn't get past the vetting by idiots.

As a Senator she underperforms in Massachusetts where the electorate breaks 3:1 in favor of Dem Presidential candidates and she doesn't have to contend with hordes of trolls and lobbyists spending thousands of hours and billions of dollars to radicalize the country against her. She is arguably the best damn policymaker in the Beltway yet she is nigh unelectable anywhere except her home state. I predict she will not be competitive because Americans are terrible and stupid and will decide her candidacy based on everything but her record. In short, America won't vote for her, because she's far better than America deserves.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Lizzie is wonderful, has the best policies out of all the candidates, is EASILY the hardest working lawmaker out of all of them, but sadly won't get anywhere because there's nothing flashy about her.

She and Beto are pretty much antithetical.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
You could actually make the argument that his McCain bashing hurt McSally and the GOP in AZ last year.

So if he wants to continue for 2020...

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Have any conservatives screaming social media bias stopped to reflex and think that social media isn't biased against them and that they just post really, really shitty against Tos garbage?

Anyone?

At all?

At any time?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Have any conservatives screaming social media bias stopped to reflex and think that social media isn't biased against them and that they just post really, really shitty against Tos garbage?

Anyone?

At all?

At any time?
This kind of discourse happened all the time on GAF

"WTF why was i banned???"

"Did you post the thing about how you think blacks are lazy and gays are going to hell?"

"yeah"

"That's against the ToS"

"FUCKING LIBERAL HIVEMIND"

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Too many people don't understand freedom of speech is a guarantee against government censorship. It does not apply to private entities.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, Phil Delaney is basically trying to buy his way into the debates by making personal $2 donations to charity for $1 donations his campaign gets to meet the 65000 threshold.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Too many people don't understand freedom of speech is a guarantee against government censorship. It does not apply to private entities.

Easily the most misunderstood part of the 1st Amendment. Seemingly a majority of Americans believes it to mean they can say absolutely anything without facing any repercussions at all.

Edit: Auto beat me to it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

George Conway, often referred to as Mr. Kellyanne Conway by those who know him, is VERY jealous of his wife's success & angry that I, with her help, didn't give him the job he so desperately wanted. I barely know him but just take a look, a stone cold LOSER & husband from hell!

7:51 AM - Mar 20, 2019

It's easy to feel numb to all this, but he's been especially unhinged for several weeks.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
surprised to learn that a part of me thinks if Conaway can keep this feud going and Trump escalates it might change some minds

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.