• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely valid to have personal tastes for candidates, to disapprove of their messaging choices on certain subjects, and to criticize them for any reason - but I really don't buy into the emerging narrative that Andrew Yang is racist:

As the son of immigrants I understand what it's like to make a life in a new country. There is a place for everyone. There is no place for hate. Love and Humanity First.
D1yaWHgUcAErQqu.jpg
And who is going to be the boogeyman of the next 10 to 20 years? Who's going to be the great rival to the United States in the eyes of American society? China, that's right. And so, what do you think the attitude is going to be over time for the shrinking, insecure white majority that's losing their jobs for, let's say, Chinese Americans or Asian Americans? I don't — l personally — I said to a group at Harvard, I think we're one generation away from falling into the same camps as that the Jews who were attacked in a synagogue in Pittsburgh like just a couple months. So we're probably one generation away from an American shooting up a bunch of Asians saying like, damn the Chinese, because there's a giant Cold War even more with China. That is the great danger that I fear that my children are going to grow up in.

The man directly cited white fragility as a threat to his community and his children.

From what I've seen, he's more explicitly and forcefully called out the alt-right than some of the most popular candidates this cycle.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
The man directly cited white fragility as a threat to his community and his children.

From what I've seen, he's more explicitly and forcefully called out the alt-right than some of the most popular candidates this cycle.

Those are fine comments, but I can't see any explanation for the below tweet beyond dog whistling to the alt-right. Isn't this something you'd expect to hear from Steve King?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
My initial reaction to Obama 12 years ago (holy shit, time flies), was, "I like him, but there's no way this country will elect a black man with that name".

Fast forward 12 years, and my initial reaction to Buttigeig is "I like him, but there's no way this country will elect a gay man with that name".

Another thing they have in common is how quickly more and more people are hearing about them.

Oct 25, 2017
Those are fine comments, but I can't see any explanation for the below tweet beyond dog whistling to the alt-right. Isn't this something you'd expect to hear from Steve King?

Mentioning "white birth rates" is never good messaging, but I really think this particular tweet is more focused on the striking image of death rates being higher than birth rates not from the alt-right perspective of caring about the white majority, but from the perspective of a rising death rate due to increasing rates of substance abuse and suicide is terrible and the death rate eclipsing the birth rate makes for a good example to give of how severe the problem is growing to be.

I think he's genuinely trying to reach out to the fabled white working class by pointing out how they are suffering without denigrating "identity politics" like other popular candidates often do.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I dont know how opioids/suicide affect other races or if they affect whites more than other races....but if they do affect whites more than other races is it not ok to shine a light on that?

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Yeah uh. Maybe mention mortality issues without explicitly attaching a race to it unless you have an extremely good reason to, because that sounds extremely similar to "white genocide" nonsense. That's a straight dog whistle tweet. Just mentioning opioids and a lower life expectancy would be fine. Hell, even say "rural areas" if you want.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I dont know how opioids/suicide affect other races or if they affect whites more than other races....but if they do affect whites more than other races is it not ok to shine a light on that?

Its only important when White Johnny is dying in his car with a needle in his arm. Are they going to start arresting white people en mass and sentencing them to life for possession?

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
The Intercept knows how to pick em.

I'll take Whataboutism for 100, Alex

Is that his way of trying to defend Bernie's and others' waffling on reparations?

And anyway, there has indeed been some sort of reparations for many of them, mostly in the form of special refugee status for people from those countries he mentions (not that it makes those wars ok, or that the U.S. has done enough for those injustices).

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
Its only important when White Johnny is dying in his car with a needle in his arm. Are they going to start arresting white people en mass and sentencing them to life for possession?

I think this type of thinking is disingenuous. When something adversely affects one group more than another, we tend to point that out. I don't need you going hyperbolic and bringing up what law enforcement does when im talking what a presidential candidate says about mental health issues. Now what he said could easily be a dog whistle, sure. But so could a lot of things said about honest issues.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

I've seen that focus on white birth and death rates from other white left intellectuals like Matt Soller. They' are an attempt to rebrand the "economic anxiety"-angle and a way to blame "liberal elites" or the Dem establishment for letting Trump win more working-class white votes, so I'm not surprised Yang was advised or convinced by someone to go this route as a way to attract white voters or stick it to Democrats.

Which is foolish. I don't think it's a sign Yang is racist, obviously not. But it's a sign of how out of touch the Yang-Bernie bro's are with the rest of the Democratic base.

Oct 25, 2017
If Yang goes more negative in his rhetoric and starts criticizing "identity politics" or "the establishment" as a source of white people's woes I will rapidly lose interest in him. But personally, I think it's fine to point out that white people are suffering (granted, because they keep shooting themselves the foot with the politicians they elect) and that conservative policy exacerbates the collapse of white communities. That shouldn't become a focal point of his campaign either, but I think it's fine to bring up especially given that the core focus of his platform is UBI and preparing for the rise of automation. I think it's fine to court the white vote directly as long as it isn't to the detriment of minority groups. I get the skepticism because historically "white working class" is a dogwhistle, but I don't think that every single mention of white people is necessarily a dogwhistle either.

I just don't think someone who's directly citing white fragility as a major danger and a growing cause of terrorist attacks is also trying to court the alt-right. He's trying to peel off the mythical white moderate, and as long as that doesn't undermine his support of minority groups I don't think that's necessarily a problem in and of itself.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is that his way of trying to defend Bernie's and others' waffling on reparations?

And anyway, there has indeed been some sort of reparations for many of them, mostly in the form of special refugee status for people from those countries he mentions (not that it makes those wars ok, or that the U.S. has done enough for those injustices).
Yep. Both the Intercept and Jacobin exist just to defend Bernie against attacks. The Jacobin turned on TNC the moment he called out Bernie for not supporting reparations.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Stacey will accept it, but I would love to see the gnashing of teeth from Team Bernie if Biden/Stacey gets announced. Because that's the winning ticket prob.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
FBN interview airing today:

Mark Knoller @markknoller

"I'd love to have Biden. I'd love to have Bernie, I'd love to have Beto," says @POTUS, asked on @FoxBusiness who he'd like to run against in 2020. "The press seems to have chosen Beto." By my count, out of 158 interviews, he's done 47 on Fox. ABC 3, CBS 5, CNN 0, NBC/CNBC 5

6:57 AM - Mar 22, 2019

Shimon Prokupecz @ShimonPro

Speaking to Fox Business network, the President said Americans would not stand by if Robert Mueller releases a report that shines a bad light on him.

"People will not stand for it," the President said.

"For two years we've gone through this nonsense. There's no collusion."

6:38 AM - Mar 22, 2019

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
FBN interview airing today:

Mark Knoller @markknoller

"I'd love to have Biden. I'd love to have Bernie, I'd love to have Beto," says @POTUS, asked on @FoxBusiness who he'd like to run against in 2020. "The press seems to have chosen Beto." By my count, out of 158 interviews, he's done 47 on Fox. ABC 3, CBS 5, CNN 0, NBC/CNBC 5

6:57 AM - Mar 22, 2019

Shimon Prokupecz @ShimonPro

Speaking to Fox Business network, the President said Americans would not stand by if Robert Mueller releases a report that shines a bad light on him.

"People will not stand for it," the President said.

"For two years we've gone through this nonsense. There's no collusion."

6:38 AM - Mar 22, 2019

"But I don't watch TV all the time."

Oct 27, 2017
The World
https://www.politico.com/newsletter...0014e-f0ed-dd93-ad7f-f8edad790000&nlid=630318

"If you talk to Capitol Hill Democrats privately, you will hear something surprising about what they expect from Robert Mueller: Many of them expect absolutely nothing. Several top Democratic lawmakers and aides tell us privately that they are certain the report will be a dud."

"If that's the case, the White House will immediately make the argument that it's time for Congress to shutter its investigations into the president. But Democratic probes into President Trump are going to drag on regardless of the Mueller report. The committees are looking into things that have nothing to do with Russian interference — the president's company, security clearances, handling of classified information, decision-making in the White House and Cabinet scandals, for example."

"Frankly, Democrats believe even if Mueller releases a report with nothing spectacular, that's only the beginning for the Hill."

There seems to have been this expectation set that Mueller report won't really have anything against Trump or his family.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
https://www.politico.com/newsletter...0014e-f0ed-dd93-ad7f-f8edad790000&nlid=630318

There seems to have been this expectation set that Mueller report won't really have anything against Trump or his family.

I expect as much, though Gates's still got some saucy info on that inauguration money laundering scandal.

"Stop talking about McCain so we can concentrate on our real goal, hurting women and minorities"

Pretty much.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Aaron Blake @AaronBlake

Trump suggests Fox promised him they wouldn't ask about McCain

"I thought you weren't supposed to bring it up."

7:31 AM - Mar 22, 2019

d2qnkyfx4aadrh0hpkx1.jpg

Dan "The Future of the GOP" Crenshaw is too scared to @

Rep. Dan Crenshaw @RepDanCrenshaw

Mr. President, seriously stop talking about Senator McCain.

3:01 PM - Mar 21, 2019

Ted Lieu @tedlieu

Dear @realDonaldTrump: FYI

2:14 AM - Mar 22, 2019

MAGA/bots are still upset with Dan's weak tweet.

Uh, it's pretty common for news shows to limit topics of discussion. But the real reveal is why Trump is going full screech on McCain lately. Pretty telling.

Also "fake news" is basically "bad news for Trump", if it weren't absolutely clear before.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
So this report is being delivered to Barr so that it can be scrubbed clean? Awesome. His base is about to go crazy.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
So this report is being delivered to Barr so that it can be scrubbed clean? Awesome. His base is about to go crazy.

Is it really so hard to believe that Trump didn't coordinate with Russia? All his behaviour so far is explainable by his love of dictatorships and insane narcissism - the accusations delegitimise his victory and for an egotistical asshole like him that's the worst thing ever. Having the presidency is about him and him alone.

I can't believe it won't ding him for obstruction of justice though.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Is it really so hard to believe that Trump didn't coordinate with Russia? All his behaviour so far is explainable by his love of dictatorships and insane narcissism - the accusations delegitimise his victory and for an egotistical asshole like him that's the worst thing ever. Having the presidency is about him and him alone.

Is it that hard to believe Trump did? His whole relationship with Putin is a huge red flag, and then there's the fact he, and his administration, likes getting into bed with other bad regimes on the regular. Trump Org's entire history is another red flag and his relationship with Russian controlled banks. Had it been one or two things, I'd be more lenient but Trump, his family and the people around him have shown too much corruption in Russia's direction to let it go.

That's not the issue, the issue is whether Republicans will vote to impeach - that's the biggest obstacle here, not Trump himself. Without them Trump's finished.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Where the hell are Schiff's hearings?

Is he still holding ones on the Russia investigation?
Is it that hard to believe Trump did? His whole relationship with Putin is a huge red flag, and then there's the fact he, and his administration, likes getting into bed with other bad regimes on the regular. Trump Org's entire history is another red flag and his relationship with Russian controlled banks. Had it been one or two things, I'd be more lenient but Trump, his family and the people around him have shown too much corruption in Russia's direction to let it go.

That's not the issue, the issue is whether Republicans will vote to impeach - that's the biggest obstacle here, not Trump himself. Without them Trump's finished.

Believe me, all of that is suspicious and I have no doubts about his empire's corrupt dealings with foreign governments (look at Trump tower Moscow) but outright coordination overseen by him personally, eh. He looks up to Putin because he wishes he had all that unchecked power. He's a malignant narcissist.

Stone coordinating directly with Wikileaks and telling Trump about Assange's plan to help him is about as far as I expect this to go. That and Manafort getting boned, again.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

"Sources familiar with the investigation believe..."

Yes, and who familiar with the investigation would be talking and disclosing a memo like this?

Mueller's team? No.

Congressional committee heads and their staffs? No.

Congressional committee ranking members and their staffs? Maybe, but would be unwise.

DOJ people? Maybe, but would be unwise.

WH defense team, Trump defense team people? Most likely.
Yep. Rudy.

Kristen Welker @kwelkernbc

Rudy Giuliani told me overnight they're "not expecting" new indictments. He and all of is Washington on high alert for the Mueller Report.

9:00 AM - Mar 22, 2019

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Believe me, all of that is suspicious and I have no doubts about his empire's corrupt dealings with foreign governments (look at Trump tower Moscow) but outright coordination overseen by him personally, eh.

Trump thinks like he's a mob boss. He may not be the smartest mob boss but he has the same mindset and all that applies. Trump Tower Moscow in itself is Mueller's white whale to hit Trump with conspiracy. Everybody is in that up to their eyeballs.

Stone coordinating directly with Wikileaks and telling Trump about Assange's plan to help him is about as far as I expect this to go.

Is that as far as you expect the investigation to get hit a road block, or how far you suspect Trump was involved? Of course, than in itself would qualify with working with Russia, regardless.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Yep. Rudy.

Kristen Welker @kwelkernbc

Rudy Giuliani told me overnight they're "not expecting" new indictments. He and all of is Washington on high alert for the Mueller Report.

9:00 AM - Mar 22, 2019

Why the fuck does anyone bother with him.
Trump thinks like he's a mob boss. He may not be the smartest mob boss but he has the same mindset and all that applies. Trump Tower Moscow in itself is Mueller's white whale to hit Trump with conspiracy. Everybody is in that up to their eyeballs.

Is that as far as you expect the investigation to get hit a road block, or how far you suspect Trump was involved? Of course, than in itself would qualify with working with Russia, regardless.

How far I expect he was involved - and for that charge, you'd probably somehow need to prove Assange knew where he got those emails from.

Speaking of, is he being arrested yet?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The ironic thing about the baby bust is that the decline in fertility has been more robust among minority women.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/number-2...ty-is-declining-the-most-among-minority-women

On the one hand I'm glad that the population level is heading in a more sustainable direction, but on the other I'm saddened that the most transformative generation of women in the country's history won't be passing down their awesomeness to as many children.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Most GOP haven't deemed fit to hustle out a full-press fix for rural white woes period. I mean, their % of these folks' votes increased while doing squat right? So instead of this concept fear of yours, its something different.

"Stop talking about McCain so we can concentrate on our real goal, hurting women and minorities"

"Do I have to explain distraction pants-shitting to you or something? Keep up!"

"Mr. President, we're live on air"

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

The June 2016 Trump Tower meeting was plainly collusion and Trump personally dictating an official WH statement that lied about that meeting is plainly obstruction. That these two facts have been out in the open for as long as they have has totally inured us to them. If we didn't know about the Trump Tower meeting or Trump's direct role in lying about it until Mueller dropped his report, everyone would be screaming impeachment and rightly so.

In any case, isn't there no way for Mueller's report to technically ding Trump on anything? If DOJ policy -- which Mueller is constitutionally a stickler for -- dictates that sitting presidents cannot be indicted and people not being charged with crimes can't be publicly called out (unless their name is Hillary Clinton I guess) then Trump could be guilty of any number of things but not officially recognized for it, no?

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a career advice OT or something?

I got offered this city/county auditor position with the city government kind of out of the blue (I had applied there like a year ago when I was working part time).

I have a BS in economics. Right now, I work for a big bank, but I just do cash processing/order shipment stuff at an operations center. I get less than $17 an hour, but the benefits and time off are great, and I could try to transfer within the company after a year to different departments (started here last summer).

The auditor position is offering 40K salary, which comes out to about a $2.50/hour raise from what I currently make. But it pools sick time/ vacation time together, so I get almost a week less for PTO (although still 3 weeks). Also, it's a position that requires a degree, so I think it'd be better experience on a resume.

I'm probably gonna take the auditor job, but I've been a little torn and should welcome advice/ thoughts.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

I got offered this city/county auditor position with the city government kind of out of the blue (I had applied there like a year ago when I was working part time).

I have a BS in economics. Right now, I work for a big bank, but I just do cash processing/order shipment stuff at an operations center. I get less than $17 an hour, but the benefits and time off are great, and I could try to transfer within the company after a year to different departments (started here last summer).

The auditor position is offering 40K salary, which comes out to about a $2.50/hour raise from what I currently make. But it pools sick time/ vacation time together, so I get almost a week less for PTO (although still 3 weeks). Also, it's a position that requires a degree, so I think it'd be better experience on a resume.

I'm probably gonna take the auditor job, but I've been a little torn and should welcome advice/ thoughts.

I'm not sure on an OT but it sounds like a great deal for you. You should take the auditor gig.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC

Take the job!

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
The June 2016 Trump Tower meeting was plainly collusion and Trump personally dictating an official WH statement that lied about that meeting is plainly obstruction. That these two facts have been out in the open for as long as they have has totally inured us to them. If we didn't know about the Trump Tower meeting or Trump's direct role in lying about it until Mueller dropped his report, everyone would be screaming impeachment and rightly so.

You're not wrong, but state TV has spun it to such a rediculous degree that a) the Trump Tower meeting doesn't matter anymore in the eyes of the public where the real battle is being fought and b) AFAIK nothing about Clinton was actually exchanged, or I haven't heard any interesting reporting on it. Wish the fact had remained hidden until the report, but wasn't there reporting that mueller didn't even know of the meeting until the NYT leaked it?

Again, any normal President would be impeached, but lying to the public isn't a crime. Trump's awful behaviour has been normalised to the point that he could do almost anything and face no real consequences.

Republicans destroying America, who would've guessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.