• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
It'a getting kind of scary that people are going to have to become fluent in internet speak in order to unstand why these young white males are pieces of shit.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It'a getting kind of scary that people are going to have to become fluent in internet speak in order to unstand why these young white males are pieces of shit.
I will have to learn their names, and their faces.

It pains me. But I will have to. So that when I see a meme referencing them, I can respond appropriately. To fight this shit you have to wade knee deep into it. I fear that most don't have the stomach for it.

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I will have to learn their names, and their faces.

It pains me. But I will have to. So that when I see a meme referencing them, I can respond appropriately. To fight this shit you have to wade knee deep into it. I fear that most don't have the stomach for it.
I hate to think about how much of this kind of stuff just goes over my head because I am not seeking it out. If you can share any information you find, I would be appreciative.

Oct 27, 2017
Malcolm Nance on MSNBC saying counterterroism doesn't look at online white radicalisation, but is too focused on terrorists adapting Islam for their radical purposes. This is "duh" level for us here, but it isn't said out loud very much on cable news.

EDIT: follows up by saying "white internationalism" as an extension of "white nationalism".

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to think about how much of this kind of stuff just goes over my head because I am not seeking it out. If you can share any information you find, I would be appreciative.

Memes change so quickly and come and go that you have to constantly be engrossed in that shit to understand any of it.

And add it just the nature of the chan culture to be as extreme as possible, there is a 100% chance that in the future another attack like this will be carried out by someone involved in that culture.

Yet they chans continue to exist and aren't focused on like they should be because young white men can't possibly be radicalized terrorists.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I know the US currently has a distinct policy of ignoring terrorism in the form of white supremacy, but how does the rest of the world treat it?

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
So we can expect everyone who was angry at Omar to also repudiate this, right?

Any day now, right?

Just waiting.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. It's very clear the guy is a nazi. There's evidence of that everywhere. However, we also know he's a member of 8chan, which a community that the mainstream media knows little to nothing about. So they need to take care with their reporting so they can view everything with the right amount of scrutiny. As this guy says:

Also this guy

Sadly, I'd consider myself 'extremely online' -- and I just don't understand the dire warnings about reading and reporting on the manifesto carefully. What is the risk? Oh no, Bloomberg reported the terrorist likes Spyro? Doesn't this sort of reaction play into the terrorists' hands?

Part of the success of modern (online) right-wing hate groups have been blanketing themselves in cloaks of 'irony' and 'shitposting'. They can say all the hateful and racist things they want, but when called out -- they just claim 'lol bro we're joking'.

Why the warnings about treading carefully here? The problem all along has been not taking these people at their word -- that when they say the want to see people destroyed, they actually mean it and are not joking.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

As a Canadian, i'm offended by your use of that awful song.

You could have used Southern Man instead:

1. I think my husband was right the other day when he said that Warren is too good for this country.

2. Should I be embarrassed that I had to look that song up? It's before my time unfortunately. Sk8ter Boi, on the other hand, came out while I was in high school.... and plus someone here was saying Trump was gonna call Beto a "skater boy."

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sadly, I'd consider myself 'extremely online' -- and I just don't understand the dire warnings about reading and reporting on the manifesto carefully. What is the risk? Oh no, Bloomberg reported the terrorist likes Spyro? Doesn't this sort of reaction play into the terrorists' hands?

Part of the success of modern (online) right-wing hate groups have been blanketing themselves in cloaks of 'irony' and 'shitposting'. They can say all the hateful and racist things they want, but when called out -- they just claim 'lol bro we're joking'.

Why the warnings about treading carefully here? The problem all along has been not taking these people at their word -- that when they say the want to see people destroyed, they actually mean it and are not joking.
Because there's stuff in it that's clearly meant to troll, like claiming they were radicalized by Candace Owens. But there's also stuff in there that is clearly what he actually believes. It's written for a very specific audience.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

NEW: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announces US to restrict visas on International Criminal Court personnel for open probes into US personnel in Afghanistan, saying they violate US sovereignty. He says more steps such as sanctions could come

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because there's stuff in it that's clearly meant to troll, like claiming they were radicalized by Candace Owens. But there's also stuff in there that is clearly what he actually believes. It's written for a very specific audience.

Obviously, the terrorist is not a reliably narrator in their own manifesto. What is new about that? What makes that so special that we get dire warnings? You don't need to know the detailed history of the Kermit the Frog meme to understand that a racist terrorist claiming to be radicalized by Candace Owens doesn't seem like an honest claim.

This dire warnings only serve to benefit modern right-wing terrorists. These fuckers hope to cloak every evil thing they say in memes and jokes, so that when the media attempts to do some sort of 'filtering pass' -- that they (mistakenly) filter out all the honest views with the red-herring memes.

The problem has been that reporters have been too careful. Claiming that filtering through the noise in this case is somehow special is what these fuckers want to happen. It doesn't take a rocket science to cut through the online bullshit.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I see Agent Orange couldn't let his statement of sympathy, which didn't even mention Muslms, breathe before he started political shitposting.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Obviously, the terrorist is not a reliably narrator in their own manifesto. What is new about that? What makes that so special that we get dire warnings? You don't need to know the detailed history of the Kermit the Frog meme to understand that a racist terrorist claiming to be radicalized by Candace Owens doesn't seem like an honest claim.

This dire warnings only serve to benefit modern right-wing terrorists. These fuckers hope to cloak every evil thing they say in memes and jokes, so that when the media attempts to do some sort of 'filtering pass' -- that they (mistakenly) filter out all the honest views with the red-herring memes.

The problem has been that reporters have been too careful. Claiming that filtering through the noise in this case is somehow special is what these fuckers want to happen. It doesn't take a rocket science to cut through the online bullshit.
The stuff that's OBVIOUS is OBVIOUS. But it isn't all going to be obvious to people that have never been exposed to these shit heads. That's all.

I've already seen headlines from WaPo saying the shooter was inspired by US white nationalism. It's not going to be buried. People are just asking the press to make sure they understand it before they rush to print things from it.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating how he immediately, openly perpetuates the "dual loyalty" claim that they attacked Omar over the potential, unintentional hinting of.

He already gave up the game immediately:

@realDonaldTrump

Representative Ilhan Omar is again under fire for her terrible comments concerning Israel. Jewish groups have just sent a petition to Speaker Pelosi asking her to remove Omar from Foreign Relations Committee. A dark day for Israel!

It wasn't "Representative Omar is again under fire for her terrible comments concerning Jewish citizens." It literally says her comments were about Israel.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
2. Should I be embarrassed that I had to look that song up? It's before my time unfortunately. Sk8ter Boi, on the other hand, came out while I was in high school.... and plus someone here was saying Trump was gonna call Beto a "skater boy."

No, but now I have to give you a little more information, because there is a cool story ifyou were unaware. Neil Young wrote it about the election of segregationist George Wallace to governor down there. The song Sweet Home Alabama, by Lynnyrd Skynnyrd which I assume you do know, is actually a response to it. Here's the lyrics to two of the verses

Now in Birmingham they love the governor
We all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you tell me true

Now I heard Mr Young sing about her
I heard old Neil put her down
I hope Neil Young will remember
Southern Man don't want him around anyhow

Anyway, my recollection is that Neil Young liked the song and expressed remorse for blaming all of the south for the south, though we all still like to do the same to this day

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@johnson_carrie
JUST IN: The government is not done with Rick Gates. Special counsel lawyers tell the judge Gates "continues to cooperate with respect to several ongoing investigations, and accordingly the parties do not believe it is appropriate to commence the sentencing process at this time."

09:56 - 15 Mar 2019
Twitter Ads information and privacy

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017

Just straight up racism

D1s-AUDWsAAWKLO

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
1. I think my husband was right the other day when he said that Warren is too good for this country.
Warren is too good for this country the same way Clinton was.

I assure you if she becomes the nominee you'll see the exact same "But what does she actually support, all she does is attack Trump" bullshit from the media and uninformed voters.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

I assure you if she becomes the nominee you'll see the exact same "But what does she actually support, all she does is attack Trump" bullshit from the media and uninformed voters.
Maybe I'm crazy but I think her odds of beating Trump are better than her odds of winning the nomination.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

It's more in line with this thinking:

When the alt-right blurts the line between trolling and genuine hatred, it becomes impossible for anything to stick. They will always have a bit of plausible deniability to fall back on. Plus there will be plenty of people to defend people like Pewpewdie who serve as a starting point for such ideologies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Sometimes it amazing these people don't straight up choke the interviewer

This ties into this:

You never hear them talk policy because no one asks or cares.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
It was the same shit with Clinton. Clinton had policy, but let's focus on her emails, and her health, and her deplorablea comment and -- oh hey a Trump rally! Let's air that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.