• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017

Sometimes it amazing these people don't straight up choke the interviewer

Ehhhhhhh ... It's on the candidate to navigate the media reality. This is not a new reality. The best candidates can turn any question into an answer on things they actually want to talk about. A question about Trump opens you up to literally any part of your platform! A question about Beto opens you up to talk about your unique experience that would make you a good president! A question about Biden opens you up to talk about your platform differences!

So yeah, blame the media for being the player. But blame the candidate for not knowing the game. This is candidate 101 stuff.

the media wants trump to win again

While anyone who has worked in any large organization will tell you that there's no coherent 'the media', I sympathize and kinda agree with the point. The simple view is that they're terrified of losing apolitical #brands who advertise, even though they know they've already lost that portion of the audience. The galaxy brain view is that a news media built on fear, terror, horse-race narratives, and shock value only has one logical conclusion when it comes to what's 'best' for them. More Trump.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. I think my husband was right the other day when he said that Warren is too good for this country.

2. Should I be embarrassed that I had to look that song up? It's before my time unfortunately. Sk8ter Boi, on the other hand, came out while I was in high school.... and plus someone here was saying Trump was gonna call Beto a "skater boy."

One of the biggest problems that came out of the two party system - Jefferson apparently did some other unusual things at home... was the elimination of the VP as a partner-deputy who was initially one of the checks and balances. Installing a puppet from your own party who's job is effectively ceremonial is detrimental to a phenomenon that might have helped us these last two hundred years - of balancing populist candidates with either their opposites or at the very least, capable bureaucrats to curb the president's worst instincts. All or nothing means throwing ~ half the country (more with gerrymandering) under the bus for four years. Warren, Buttigieg, etc, who might not win outright on charisma, could at least point their intellect and policy positions at meaningful work in the event of a loss.

Yeah, give us a president who will throw a cellphone at Putin, or demand he was her f***ing fork.

The mere fact that she's equating unpaid volunteer staffers with murderous dictators tells you a lot about how she thinks and what she's learned.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
They only care if they think they can criticize you for not talking about it.
My girlfriend had me listen to this drag podcast where one of the queens basically just both sides-ed everything and everyone and went on this diatribe of "Hillary wanted to be the first woman president but never once said what she'll do for women, she never supported family leave!" and my girlfriend was just nodding along like "hm yeah that's a good point" and it's like

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/paid-leave/

And this was an issue she talked about at every rally, in every campaign speech. It was a first 100 days issue. You just weren't paying attention. All you had to do was google "hillary clinton family leave".

People just treat the both sides, lesser of two evils etc rhetoric as fucking gospel and shut themselves off so they never have to question it.

You can see it with the Beto stuff on the OT side of things. "He doesn't support Medicare for All," "he doesn't support the Green New Deal," yes he does. You just already committed to your narrative about the candidate.

Likewise with Hillary, I had a friend who insisted - several times - that Hillary did not support a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United, only Bernie did. And every time I linked him to this page:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/campaign-finance-reform/

He'd act surprised because his TYT-filtered news stream would conveniently forget to mention it. He'd admit he was wrong in the moment, then a few months later hop back on the exact same talking points.

It's fucking infuriating and I'm not really looking forward to dealing with this shit for the rest of my life, but I don't see it changing.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
No, but now I have to give you a little more information, because there is a cool story ifyou were unaware. Neil Young wrote it about the election of segregationist George Wallace to governor down there. The song Sweet Home Alabama, by Lynnyrd Skynnyrd which I assume you do know, is actually a response to it. Here's the lyrics to two of the verses

Now in Birmingham they love the governor
We all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you tell me true

Now I heard Mr Young sing about her
I heard old Neil put her down
I hope Neil Young will remember
Southern Man don't want him around anyhow

Anyway, my recollection is that Neil Young liked the song and expressed remorse for blaming all of the south for the south, though we all still like to do the same to this day
Interesting stuff, thanks.

Sometimes it amazing these people don't straight up choke the interviewer

The media is misogynistic traaaaash, news at 11.

Fuck her.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The next president needs to go on the offensive against white nationalism. Explicitly label them terrorist groups and devote national security resources to stifle any violence before it happens. Start bringing terrorist charges against violent actors and those who instruct them. Basically, treat them like any other terrorist group. That's exactly what they are.

I think this is far more important than simply trying to nail Trump and his cohorts for their various crimes. Focus on the shit that is actually killing people and go after it hard.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Verbal and physical abuser said:
When you're out there on the world stage and dealing with people like Vladimir Putin, yeah, you want someone who's tough.
tenor.gif

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Buy this house, its what you want, no you can't read the agreement deal nor can you look inside the home.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
The next president needs to go on the offensive against white nationalism. Explicitly label them terrorist groups and devote national security resources to stifle any violence before it happens. Start bringing terrorist charges against violent actors and those who instruct them. Basically, treat them like any other terrorist group. That's exactly what they are.

I think this is far more important than simply trying to nail Trump and his cohorts for their various crimes. Focus on the shit that is actually killing people and go after it hard.

Has to be a whole menu of things from getting Facebook/Google/Twitter to change their algorithms/ad policies that drive divisive content, fixing immigration at the US/Mexico border (and the destabilization in the Middle East that's led to tons of refugees in Europe), focusing on climate change/AI and making sure people are able to have dignified careers during those transitions instead of turning to "if we just got rid of the 'others' we wouldn't have this problem!" We obviously need better gun control. We need to talk about all these things in the right way that isn't something that can be easily used to further divide people.

Going after the groups themselves needs to be done, but it's just whack-a-mole without a comprehensive approach.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
It was the same shit with Clinton. Clinton had policy, but let's focus on her emails, and her health, and her deplorablea comment and -- oh hey a Trump rally! Let's air that instead.

Is there a way candidates can make sure the media will talk about their policy? It seems like candidates need to redirect the questions to a specific policy.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more of a single-state solution guy. Give the Palestinians equal rights and representation within Israel. Israel in 2019 is fairly analogous to apartheid-era South Africa, where the best solution was not to break apart South Africa, but to give representation to black South Africans (and full representation to mixed and Indian South Africans too).

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
jfc

Louie gohmert

"The shootings at the New Zealand mosques are egregiously reprehensible. There are courts, dispute resolutions, and legislatures to resolve controversies – there is no place for cold blooded murders ..." Read my full statement, here:

At least he's getting ratioed

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm more of a single-state solution guy. Give the Palestinians equal rights and representation within Israel. Israel in 2019 is fairly analogous to apartheid-era South Africa, where the best solution was not to break apart South Africa, but to give representation to black South Africans (and full representation to mixed and Indian South Africans too).
Are you telling me that two state solutions like Eire and NI, and India and Pakistan didn't work out?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well, Putin doesn't work for her so I'm not sure that threatening to kill their career is going to be as effective as when she did it to her staff.
Also, thinking that being an asshole to people with no power over you that have to take your shit or lose their job makes you "tough" is yet another reason for me to hope her campaign crash and burn.

Last edited:

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I might be wrong, but if there is more cooperation going on, there's going to be more indictments🎉

Let's just say good ol Rick had his hands in quite a lot of honeypots during and after the 2016 election.

And the fact that Mueller was willing to basically let Flynn go, when he and his deplorable son literally plotted to kidnap Gulen from Pennsylvania to send him to Turkey to be murdered, means that he must be spilling a lot too. Those befuddled and angry reactions from that judge were a good look into the fuckery we the public still have no idea what it's about.

Flynn also had his hands in a lot of interesting honeypots during and after the election.

So when you hear "no collusion" or "proof of collusion", just nod your head, smile, and wait. Shit is going to come out like an avalanche because I think we know the game now - get a couple high level guys to spill the beans over things you can nail them with right now and then you roll up on everyone else mob style. It's why Erik Prince, who we knew was lying when he was speaking to congress real-time, has not been called up yet, why Jr is still waiting, why we haven't even seen Jerome Corsi indicted yet, and so on ...

Prepare your butts.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

There's a great ContraPoints video (well, they're all great, but I can't remember which this was specifically) where she talks about how irony is often just used as a way to veil ideas that you're just toying with and want to try experimenting with in public, but you're just too afraid to state it straight. She based this on her own experience as toying around with all kinds of "cross-dresser/transvestite/'i'm just a pervert I guess'" kinds of humor she used to describe herself when ultimately she was just using it as a way to gradually come to terms with the reality that she identified as a woman. It was basically a normalization process both for her and the public.

I think about that every time I see people/manifestos like this - sure, a lot of it is intentionally dramatic and shitposty, but that's only because it's being used just as one big smoke grenade to send people scattered in all directions and hide what you truly believe. Whether or not some of it was "trolling" doesn't matter because what he and people like him believe is incredibly clear - they're white supremacists who fundamentally believe in genocide, and the "white genocide/great replacement" thing is just another example of their projection.

Honestly, one of the most haunting things about the manifesto were excerpts I saw floating around talking about how he felt motivated to do it due to the environment, and his supposed "concerns" about all these "invaders" coming in to destroy our ecology and our resources. I found that so frightening because it's such a clear glimpse of our future. These people are engaging in an effort to normalize that very idea - that when climate change gets serious and resources become scarce and regions of the Earth become gradually uninhabitable, it's "us vs. them" so what is effectively mass murder is justified. The Left really needs to get out ahead of this, because I can easily see large parts of the public becoming okay with mass slaughter when suddenly their cheap goods and abundant food are threatened due to ecological disaster. Centrists simply have no legitimacy to solve this kind of problem - we're hurtling toward a potentially dark future filled with horrific incidents like this on a mass scale and no one in power is doing enough to stop it.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
True but Bernie cant force a diverse audience

Maybe the outreach approach is flwed though

Bernie isn't going to be able to garner more minority/diverse support in what's a far more diverse field. If he lasts long enough to see many of the more diverse candidates drop out, he may have a better chance. I doubt he'd be the candidate many would rally to in that scenario

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
There's a great ContraPoints video (well, they're all great, but I can't remember which this was specifically) where she talks about how irony is often just used as a way to veil ideas that you're just toying with and want to try experimenting with in public, but you're just too afraid to state it straight. She based this on her own experience as toying around with all kinds of "cross-dresser/transvestite/'i'm just a pervert I guess'" kinds of humor she used to describe herself when ultimately she was just using it as a way to gradually come to terms with the reality that she identified as a woman. It was basically a normalization process both for her and the public.

I think about that every time I see people/manifestos like this - sure, a lot of it is intentionally dramatic and shitposty, but that's only because it's being used just as one big smoke grenade to send people scattered in all directions and hide what you truly believe. Whether or not some of it was "trolling" doesn't matter because what he and people like him believe is incredibly clear - they're white supremacists who fundamentally believe in genocide, and the "white genocide/great replacement" thing is just another example of their projection.

Honestly, one of the most haunting things about the manifesto were excerpts I saw floating around talking about how he felt motivated to do it due to the environment, and his supposed "concerns" about all these "invaders" coming in to destroy our ecology and our resources. I found that so frightening because it's such a clear glimpse of our future. These people are engaging in an effort to normalize that very idea - that when climate change gets serious and resources become scarce and regions of the Earth become gradually uninhabitable, it's "us vs. them" so what is effectively mass murder is justified. The Left really needs to get out ahead of this, because I can easily see large parts of the public becoming okay with mass slaughter when suddenly their cheap goods and abundant food are threatened due to ecological disaster. Centrists simply have no legitimacy to solve this kind of problem - we're hurtling toward a potentially dark future filled with horrific incidents like this on a mass scale and no one in power is doing enough to stop it.

I believe the video you're talking about is this one:

And yes, it's a good video. (all of them are good, except the terf one, which I dislike because it's super triggering for me)

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'm inclined towards that notion. The biggest issue is that the Arab population will likely outnumber the Jewish one and Bibi poking that bear long enough could garnish a backlash. Which is why the Israeli government needs to reconcile with the Palestinians soon. The Israeli settlements are making the two-state solution virtually impossible, so they will have to rely on the good will of the Arab population dealing with their bullshit for so long.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you telling me that two state solutions like Eire and NI, and India and Pakistan didn't work out?

Not necessarily, but I think that the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are a different beast because the US had such an interest in stepping in and creating a viable two-state solution (and we'll get more violence if the UK insists on blowing that solution up via Brexit).

India and Pakistan isn't working out well at all right now, but that's because of the haphazard way in which the British left the region and carved it up on the way out. That situation is maybe comparable to some of the issues that African states are having because of the way that colonial powers divided them up (a problem that South Africa had, to be fair, but that didn't cripple it because the imperial power stayed in the country and helped the transition to a country with equal rights and representation).

In any case, Israel and Palestine just strongly reminds me of South Africa, where even with implicit support for apartheid from world powers like the US and the UK, de Klerk worked with Mandela to lead the country toward open elections and equal rights for black and brown South Africans. Maybe the issue is that there isn't an imperial power willing to step in and broker a solution.

Honestly, having read what I wrote, maybe the successful solutions aren't necessarily one-or-two-state solutions, but are solutions where imperial powers actually step in and try to solve the problem instead of being a) indifferent or b) actively antagonistic. However, South Africa got a one-state solution done on its own and the situation there reads like Israel's, so maybe a more center/center-right party in Israel can be sick of the violence and human rights violations and, like de Klerk and the National Party, broker a one-state solution without needing anyone to step in.

I'm inclined towards that notion. The biggest issue is that the Arab population will likely outnumber the Jewish one and Bibi poking that bear long enough could garnish a backlash. Which is why the Israeli government needs to reconcile with the Palestinians soon. The Israeli settlements are making the two-state solution virtually impossible, so they will have to rely on the good will of the Arab population dealing with their bullshit for so long.

This post also explains why I favor a single-state solution. If de Klerk pulled it off when Boer South Africans were vastly outnumbered by black South Africans, then the right leaders in Israel can pull the same thing off even if they are outnumbered by Palestinians. I guess that's why I favor a one-state solution: I have evidence that it can work in the modern era even though the people in minority rule are outnumbered.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Not necessarily, but I think that the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are a different beast because the US had such an interest in stepping in and creating a viable two-state solution (and we'll get more violence if the UK insists on blowing that solution up via Brexit).

India and Pakistan isn't working out well at all right now, but that's because of the haphazard way in which the British left the region and carved it up on the way out. That situation is maybe comparable to some of the issues that African states are having because of the way that colonial powers divided them up (a problem that South Africa had, to be fair, but that didn't cripple it because the imperial power stayed in the country and helped the transition to a country with equal rights and representation).

In any case, Israel and Palestine just strongly reminds me of South Africa, where even with implicit support for apartheid from world powers like the US and the UK, de Klerk worked with Mandela to lead the country toward open elections and equal rights for black and brown South Africans. Maybe the issue is that there isn't an imperial power willing to step in and broker a solution.

Honestly, having read what I wrote, maybe the successful solutions aren't necessarily one-or-two-state solutions, but are solutions where imperial powers actually step in and try to solve the problem instead of being a) indifferent or b) actively antagonistic. However, South Africa got a one-state solution done on its own and the situation there reads like Israel's, so maybe a more center/center-right party in Israel can be sick of the violence and human rights violations and, like de Klerk and the National Party, broker a one-state solution without needing anyone to step in.

This post also explains why I favor a single-state solution. If de Klerk pulled it off when Boer South Africans were vastly outnumbered by black South Africans, then the right leaders in Israel can pull the same thing off even if they are outnumbered by Palestinians. I guess that's why I favor a one-state solution: I have evidence that it can work in the modern era even though the people in minority rule are outnumbered.

But the problem is I really dont trust Anyone with their jewish populqtion without Israel backing the population. Humanity has made sport for over 2000 years of killing jews when they get bored so I'm more comfortable with a reformed Israel with a Palestinian state next door.x

At least if things hit the fan somewhere Jews have somewhere to run if shit pops off. Because lets be honest, someone is gonna start it up again.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

My flippant comment is underserving of this very well reasoned reply. I was just trying to sarcastically suggest that two state solutions aren't a magic fix. Obviously, NI and EIRE only stopped experiencing terrible sectarian violence when the border between them basically ceased to exist, and the threat of it coming back is threatening to bring back violence, and India and Pakistan almost went to war last month.

Mainly, I think your points here are excellent, and I think are more likely to be a solution than a two state 'solution' which I doubt would stop the attacks between the two territories.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

NEW: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announces US to restrict visas on International Criminal Court personnel for open probes into US personnel in Afghanistan, saying they violate US sovereignty. He says more steps such as sanctions could come

Ah, the new wedge issue arrives.

Nielsen says there's no specific or credible threat to the US currently, so doesn't that work against the declared national emergency?

Its all about him pouting and self-soothing via bullying (and big macs). He forced "my" senators to split and pick their poison politically when he hasnt put down the golf club or remote to effect any real action cuz COURTS.

The level of meanness and weakness is almost hilarious. Im still waiting for him to FOMT the 12 Yeahs though.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie's main aim should be at the very least maintain the like 25ish% of southern black voters he got last time. The split votes means that would be enough to where he won't get blown out in the delegate math because there isn't one person getting every % he doesn't get

I'd like him to do better but I think it's unlikely that he does given the amount of other options

Status
Not open for further replies.