• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
So I read that Beto's court packing scheme he mentioned a couple days ago involves Democrats picking 5 judges, Republicans picking 5 judges, and then those judges picking 5 more judges! Which I thought was naive, unconstitutional, further cements two party rule, and finally, gives too much power to the judiciary.

But then I heard Buttigieg suggested the exact same thing two weeks ago on Pod Save America:

https://crooked.com/podcast/2020-pete-buttigieg-on-freedom-and-farting-cows/

So I'm thinking

1. Who is advising Petey B of this nonsense?
  2. Did Beto just rip this idea off Buttigieg?
Oh ... and also Beto suggested maybe rotating judges into SCOTUS, after Buttigieg suggested rotating judges up from the appellate court. It all seems very coincidental.
I would assume something like that would just be a way of selling it to the public without opening oneself up to accusations of blatant partisanship, while also avoiding setting a shitty precedent.

Like sure, the next Dem president could just add two justices. But then there's nothing stopping the next GOP president from adding two more once they assume power, and then just continually one-upping one another.

I'm of the mind that court reform should be more about divorcing the judiciary from the executive branch. "Gotta vote the party so we win SCOTUS" is a pretty lousy spot to be in.

That being said, you're probably right that a scheme like this would need a Constitutional amendment to work, and I don't know how you'd account for third parties. I certainly wouldn't expect it to just say flat out "Democrats get 5, Republicans get 5" because either party could easily die off.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
So I read that Beto's court packing scheme he mentioned a couple days ago involves Democrats picking 5 judges, Republicans picking 5 judges, and then those judges picking 5 more judges! Which I thought was naive, unconstitutional, further cements two party rule, and finally, gives too much power to the judiciary.

But then I heard Buttigieg suggested the exact same thing two weeks ago on Pod Save America:

https://crooked.com/podcast/2020-pete-buttigieg-on-freedom-and-farting-cows/

So I'm thinking

1. Who is advising Petey B of this nonsense?
  2. Did Beto just rip this idea off Buttigieg?
Oh ... and also Beto suggested maybe rotating judges into SCOTUS, after Buttigieg suggested rotating judges up from the appellate court. It all seems very coincidental.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/9/6/17827786/kavanaugh-vote-supreme-court-packing

The idea's from two professors, Daniel Epps and Ganesh Sitaraman. Not sure if Beto first heard it from Pete's interviews (Beto has said he listens to PSA) or if he got that from the original Vox article/study.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I sort of like the idea of just taking the appointing of judges out of the hands of politicians all together

Same thing with gerrymandering. Don't let politicians draw maps

Who do we get to do it??..idk.. maybe aliens or computers or something.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Personally I sort of like the idea of just taking the appointing of judges out of the hands of politicians all together

Pure beings such as Infants or Manatees. Only way I see it working.
giphy.gif

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
There's already a genetic algorithm that redraws the district maps to not be gerrymandered. There's nothing wrong with using technology for this, unless you're talking about sensitive topics like race where AI is prone to discrimination.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

In my home country, the bar association nominates judges and they get confirmed by the Congress. They also have term limits

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

My Q: What do you make of the NZ shooter saying President Trump is a symbol of renewed white identity? Kellyanne Conway: "The shooter is an evil, hateful person who is wrong about that."

My Q: Did the WH think about rescheduling or cancelling Pres Trump's veto & immigration remarks bc of the NZ shooting? Kellyanne Conway said essentially no and that the president and WH want to assert for the "thousandth time" that there is a crisis at the southern border.

3:00 PM - Mar 15, 2019

Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

Reminder: In a few minutes, officials from DHS will be standing alongside President Trump and families whose loved ones were killed by immigrants making the case that immigrants coming from the southern border are an extreme threat to the US.

DHS Sec Kirstjen Nielsen: In the wake of the attack on the two mosques in New Zealand, I want to express condolences and sympathies for those affected by the attacks, and reassure those in this country that DHS is doing all it can to protect the homeland from violent extremists.

2:19 PM - Mar 15, 2019

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
That and the tweet without the context of the question at least is a Rorschach test at best. Was the question about running against Trump or other Dems in the primary (or something else)?

Unless he's changed his stance since yesterday, he's referring to other Dems. He straight up said yesterday that any currently declared Dem would be better than Trump.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Beto can rip Trump a new asshole without having to stoop to his level of childish playground name calling.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Money is going to be really hard to come by for anyone until the nomination is sealed up

Really that alone is why toppling Bernie/Biden will be really hard to do

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm not surprised that Cernovich is going 'I'm just worried about the children in Hollywood' today, but I'm still disappointed. Like anyone believed he thought that A: children were at risk or that B: he'd done anything to prevent Gunn having a career in Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.