US PoliEra 2019 |OT3| YOU WERE AT MY WEDDING, DENISE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
This Emergency Declaration legislation that the GOP wants to limit it in the future is a joke. They drafted it to make sure Trump gets his way on the wall, but make sure no democratic President can use it in the future. And of course Trump supports it, as long as it doesn't affect his emergency and only future dem presidents. So transparent and full of shit. I hope no dem sign onto this, unless there is language added in that fucks Trump.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming you aren’t being sarcastic, Gillibrand went on record saying the Lewinsky affair should have been enough for Bill Clinton to resign.
She said Bill should have resigned due to his sex scandals

And Bill was like...”I disagree with her.

*excuse me while I use my status to quietly end her political ambition now*
Oh ok, didn't know if I was missing something else other than that. Thanks.

plagiarize

Untethered
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This Emergency Declaration legislation that the GOP wants to limit it in the future is a joke. They drafted it to make sure Trump gets his way on the wall, but make sure no democratic President can use it in the future. And of course Trump supports it, as long as it doesn't affect his emergency and only future dem presidents. So transparent and full of shit. I hope no dem sign onto this, unless there is language added in that fucks Trump.
Pelosi has said she isn't going to present it in the house so it should be fine.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Erin Murphy

✔@ErinDMurphy

A dispatch from my interview with @BetoORourke and covering two of his #iacaucus stops Thursday in southeast Iowa: https://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/o-rourke-calls-for-unity-during-iowa-visit/article_970125f3-771b-5584-b8fb-735027fc375f.html …

And adding here a quintessential #iacaucus tale that didn't make the cut:@BetoORourke told me when checking out of his hotel this morning, the staff told him they heard there was a POTUS candidate in town. When he said "That's me!" they didn't believe him.

4:53 PM - Mar 14, 2019

Vaughn Hillyard

✔@VaughnHillyard

Great story. But also seriously, people don't know who Beto O'Rourke is. Not just in Iowa. @MorningConsult polling last week backs that. 30% of Dem voters nationally say they have not heard of O'Rourke--compare that to 21% for Harris, 11% for Warren, 2% for Biden, 2% for Sanders.

5:27 PM - Mar 14, 2019

FreezePeach

Oct 25, 2017
Im 13 minutes into the Beto town hall in iowa and he hasnt misspoke or screwed up once. His delivery and memory is probably the best out of everyone right now.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017

Erin Murphy
✔@ErinDMurphy

A dispatch from my interview with @BetoORourke and covering two of his #iacaucus stops Thursday in southeast Iowa: https://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/o-rourke-calls-for-unity-during-iowa-visit/article_970125f3-771b-5584-b8fb-735027fc375f.html …

And adding here a quintessential #iacaucus tale that didn't make the cut:@BetoORourke told me when checking out of his hotel this morning, the staff told him they heard there was a POTUS candidate in town. When he said "That's me!" they didn't believe him.

4:53 PM - Mar 14, 2019

Vaughn Hillyard
✔@VaughnHillyard

Great story. But also seriously, people don't know who Beto O'Rourke is. Not just in Iowa. @MorningConsult polling last week backs that. 30% of Dem voters nationally say they have not heard of O'Rourke--compare that to 21% for Harris, 11% for Warren, 2% for Biden, 2% for Sanders.

5:27 PM - Mar 14, 2019
There's gonna be some extra free press for him on HBO in a month or two when that campaign doc comes out.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Beto has charisma and substance. I can see him being elected, but at this stage it's still very hard for me to visualize what exactly his Presidency would look like.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Beto announced like six hours ago and I feel like he's already done more campaign events than anyone else in the race except maybe Warren.

BoboBrazil

Oct 25, 2017
Beto playing guitar and singing at campaign events with rock stars is something the media won't be able to pass up. He's going to look cool af and be the guy you can have a beer with. That's all that matters to alot of the voters in the USA. He's going to help Dems retake the Senate and regain a foothold for Dems in the Midwest.

FreezePeach

Oct 25, 2017
Beto playing guitar and singing at campaign events with rock stars is something the media won't be able to pass up. He's going to look cool af and be the guy you can have a beer with. That's all that matters to alot of the voters in the USA. He's going to help Dems retake the Senate and regain a foothold for Dems in the Midwest.
At his inauguration he will have his kids play piano while he rocks out. USA goes *awwwwwwwwww*

less

Oct 25, 2017
Beto has charisma and substance. I can see him being elected, but at this stage it's still very hard for me to visualize what exactly his Presidency would look like.
Pelosi is going to be the power behind the throne so imagine a Pelosi Presidency but way more cool.

/joke

Chikor

Oct 26, 2017
This tells me that you think of votes and donations as rewards, rather than strategic choices to get the best choices into office.

Nobody is going to give away half their net worth (which is 5M is, for Beto) to have a shot at office. And if our choices were limited to people who were able/willing to spend that much of their own money, I don't think we'd like the choices available very much. Unless you are a Schultz fan.

I remember the Obama thing now, I recalled the specifics incorrectly.

For the record, I am 100% for mandatory public financing of campaigns, limited campaign windows, and overturning CU. 100%. Have been for the first two parts of that since before CU even happened.

But until that happens, I don't see how self-sabotage does anything to make things better.
I am telling you what I think, it's not like a riddle, I think that small donations is what made the Democrats move away from even exploring the idea of public finance.
Also, I think it's pretty telling that someone with a negative net worth giving money they can't afford to not have is not only a-okay but something to be celebrated, but for a rich person to go from "more money than you could ever spend" to "still more money you could ever spend" is something so crazy we are refusing to even consider it.
And again, the fact that so many people think like that is why we're gonna have this massive upward wealth transfer this election.

Just out of curiosity, were you this affronted when those same poor college kids gave their money to Bernie? Or did you just save it for Beto?
FFS, not everything is about Bernie (and for real, I post a lot here, why on earth would anyone think I'm a bernie stan is beyond me, but like, I learned I can't talk about Sanders without people losing their shit, but now I can't talk about anyone without this happening?).

But if you must make it about Bernie, I think Sanders is worst than Beto on some aspects of that since he actively campaigned on public finance, and like Obama, he made a 180 when he saw how much money he can get from kids online he moved away from that. On the other hand, he's not nearly as rich as Beto, so it's less egregious on that front.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I like Bernie and still am leaning on voting for him but some of the reactions from people I even know today are just

It’s like the rick & morty fandom of politics

VectorPrime

Apr 4, 2018
Not that there is the slightest chance of it happening but could you imagine how Putin would be feeling in a Tulsi vs Trump matchup?

Status
Not open for further replies.