• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto playing guitar and singing at campaign events with rock stars is something the media won't be able to pass up. He's going to look cool af and be the guy you can have a beer with. That's all that matters to alot of the voters in the USA. He's going to help Dems retake the Senate and regain a foothold for Dems in the Midwest.
At his inauguration he will have his kids play piano while he rocks out. USA goes *awwwwwwwwww*

less

Oct 25, 2017
Beto has charisma and substance. I can see him being elected, but at this stage it's still very hard for me to visualize what exactly his Presidency would look like.

Pelosi is going to be the power behind the throne so imagine a Pelosi Presidency but way more cool.

/joke

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This tells me that you think of votes and donations as rewards, rather than strategic choices to get the best choices into office.

Nobody is going to give away half their net worth (which is 5M is, for Beto) to have a shot at office. And if our choices were limited to people who were able/willing to spend that much of their own money, I don't think we'd like the choices available very much. Unless you are a Schultz fan.

I remember the Obama thing now, I recalled the specifics incorrectly.

For the record, I am 100% for mandatory public financing of campaigns, limited campaign windows, and overturning CU. 100%. Have been for the first two parts of that since before CU even happened.

But until that happens, I don't see how self-sabotage does anything to make things better.
I am telling you what I think, it's not like a riddle, I think that small donations is what made the Democrats move away from even exploring the idea of public finance.
Also, I think it's pretty telling that someone with a negative net worth giving money they can't afford to not have is not only a-okay but something to be celebrated, but for a rich person to go from "more money than you could ever spend" to "still more money you could ever spend" is something so crazy we are refusing to even consider it.
And again, the fact that so many people think like that is why we're gonna have this massive upward wealth transfer this election.

Just out of curiosity, were you this affronted when those same poor college kids gave their money to Bernie? Or did you just save it for Beto?
FFS, not everything is about Bernie (and for real, I post a lot here, why on earth would anyone think I'm a bernie stan is beyond me, but like, I learned I can't talk about Sanders without people losing their shit, but now I can't talk about anyone without this happening?).

But if you must make it about Bernie, I think Sanders is worst than Beto on some aspects of that since he actively campaigned on public finance, and like Obama, he made a 180 when he saw how much money he can get from kids online he moved away from that. On the other hand, he's not nearly as rich as Beto, so it's less egregious on that front.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I like Bernie and still am leaning on voting for him but some of the reactions from people I even know today are just

It's like the rick & morty fandom of politics

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie fans attacking Beto for saying he will release his taxes soon🤣

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Not that there is the slightest chance of it happening but could you imagine how Putin would be feeling in a Tulsi vs Trump matchup?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I worry with all these candidates in the running, that we're going to get even more people disinterested in voting if their guy/girl isn't the nominee like we got due to Hillary beating Bernie. Most of these people have some robust fan clubs!

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I worry with all these candidates in the running, that we're going to get even more people disinterested in voting if their guy/girl isn't the nominee like we got due to Hillary beating Bernie. Most of these people have some robust fan clubs!
Bernie is the only one with the cult fanbase that attacks everyone that joins the race

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
It would probably be bad if Obama didn't have like a 90% approval from Democrats so the "he's like Obama" while funny also probably not actually detrimental

That's the other part. I think the joke will do much more good than harm. I didn't know much about Beto, but after reading the Vanity Fair article, he isn't what I had heard from others. Will be interesting to see how his campaign develops.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Beto playing guitar and singing at campaign events with rock stars is something the media won't be able to pass up. He's going to look cool af and be the guy you can have a beer with. That's all that matters to alot of the voters in the USA. He's going to help Dems retake the Senate and regain a foothold for Dems in the Midwest.
giphy.gif

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.

I'm ready for more of Onion's Diamond Joe Biden...

- Biden Kicked Out Of Laundromat After Shag Rug Floods Washing Machine

- Biden Hands Out Loose GT Cola Can To Unexpected Trick-Or-Treater

- DNC Chair Tracks Down Biden In Everglades Tossing Whole Chickens To Gators

- Tearful Biden Carefully Takes Down Blacklight Poster Of Topless Barbarian Chick From Office Wall

- Biden Donates Collection Of Classic Skin Mags To Those In Need During Holidays

- Secret Service Shuts Down Biden's Unofficial White House Tour Operation

- Biden Urges Paul Ryan To Check Out Nude Scene From 'Porky's' On Phone

- Biden Receives Lifetime Ban From Dave & Buster's

- Shirtless Biden Washes Trans Am In White House Driveway

- Biden To Honor Fallen Soldiers By Jumping Motorcycle Over Vietnam Memorial
'There's no better way to pay homage to our fallen brothers than by letting it rip, hitting that ramp at full fucking blast, and flying through the sky high above the Vietnam Memorial,' said Biden, noting that he also plans to execute a midair salute by placing his fingers around his mouth in a V shape and rapidly flicking his tongue. 'If I grease the landing and ragdoll across the Constitution Gardens, so be it. I've had my share of spills.'"

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
AOC just destroyed Wilbur Ross FWIW.

Good. Drag his ass.

Hard to get over the fuckery of that Ben Sasse statement. "I believe the president is overstepping his constitutional authority, but I'm going to let it slide because I don't want him to look bad in front of the Dems, and I want Dems to pass legislation to make sure that the precedent I'm setting doesn't stick."

I am glad there's no winning hand for them and having 12 of them fall on their sword with honor but 41 die cowards deaths both have upsides.

"Hey besides the virulent homophobia why are you guys so down on Tulsi" - a literal thread in OT.

So goddamn transparent with the ulterior motives. They're stans and can't even contain it.

Cummings requesting docs from the Fox News reporter that uncovered the Stormy Daniels stuff (via MSNBC)

"Did you think Ted was blowing smoke out of his ass or something?!?"

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lbh he's pretty much a combo of Bill and Obama.
This is true. He lacks the country accent of Bill, but otherwise he's a pretty good mix of them.

Also Cummings requesting docs.from the Fox reporter seems kind of pointless? What will it accomplish? Still waiting on those subpoenas.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is true. He lacks the country accent of Bill, but otherwise he's a pretty good mix of them.

Also Cummings requesting docs.from the Fox reporter seems kind of pointless? What will it accomplish? Still waiting on those subpoenas.

The reporter *wants* to tell the story but is tied up by NDA.

Governmental investigations (no subpoena required) are exempt from NDA so now the reporter will be able to talk.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Trump is hyped about a veto for obvious reasons, but I'm simultaneously amused/depressed that he has absolutely no understanding that this as about as close to a vote of no confidence that you can get in the US system. It's immediately notable, from a historical perspective.

I'm actually impressed at the number of R defectors. Obviously it's not enough to matter in the end, but it shows at least some of them are thinking ahead about what this means in a future D administration.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I just realized, if you want to tour this beautiful country of ours, just announce that you are running for president. The donations will fly in, and you can do it for free!

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017

Josh Dawsey@jdawsey1

Ronna Romney McDaniel joins John Hogan Gidley in calling the newest candidate Robert O'Francis O'Rourke.

7:20 PM - Mar 14, 2019

Ronna McDaniel @GOPChairwoman

What has Beto done?

His only legislative accomplishment was to rename a courthouse and he lost a Senate race.

At least Robert Francis O'Rourke announced at an opportune time – right before St. Patrick's Day.

7:18 PM - Mar 14, 2019

And what was trumps legetsative accomplishments before 2016?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Beto was able to get the networks do a splitscreen coverage when Trump was in El Paso. That's how you beat Trump at his own game.

Status
Not open for further replies.