• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans aren't going to have the first ever president in our country's history that is removed forcibly from office be part of the Republican party. We simply will never get that 66 vote threshold, dont dive into extreme fantasy.

No, they would probably force him to resign first.

Classic "I don't have a solution, so I'll just hope one shows up before I need it."

No, just literally following the process. You impeachment is [investigation -> vote]. If you had to whip votes in the senate before starting proceedings, you would never do anything

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@rebeccaballhaus
Sean Hannity to Trump in tonight's interview, on Michael Cohen and the hush-money payments: "I can tell you personally, he said to me at least a dozen times, that he made the decision on the payments and he didn't tell you."

21:12 - 28 Feb 2019

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
The thing is he can't be charged with a crime while president
No, there is no such "thing". Because there's fuck all in the books about whether or not a president can or cannot be charged with a crime.
All they're going on is that it's never happened before, so it shouldn't happen ever... which is asinine, as trump wrote the book on presidential shit that's never been done before.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, they would probably force him to resign first.

No, just literally following the process. You impeachment is [investigation -> vote]. If you had to whip votes in the senate before starting proceedings, you would never do anything

To be clear, are you just talking about the House impeaching him? Because I agree with that, however, Trump isnt going to resign and Republicans wont vote to remove him from office.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
How do the democrats get 18 republicans to vote to convict trump?
Why is that the bar AT THIS POINT?

Literally you have evidence the president committed crimes while in office. The house has a constitutional duty to investigate in impeachment proceedings. Impeachment is the equivalent of an indictment. If every prosecutor had to decide whether a jury would convict before starting to gather proof, nobody would ever go to jail.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that the president can't be indicted is purely premised on two justice dept opinions from 1973 and 2000. And those opinions stated it would be too disruptive to the country. Its actual constitutionality has not been tested.

I wonder if Kelly did anything to prevent his memo from being destroyed.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do the democrats get 18 republicans to vote to convict trump?

Mueller needs to indict or it's gonna depend on polling I think. He drops sub 30 their 2020 chances might be better with someone else. This all has to happen pretty quickly though or there's no time for primaries unless they just roll with Pence or just kind of appoint someone else as the defacto nominee.

I've kind of just resigned to worst case he's gone in less than 2 years unless there's major election fuckery, and honestly I don't see how we can't really just expect that. Russians are going to play this full force again.

If he "wins" again I don't really know what we do. The republic is over at that point. GOP will have successfully found a winning formula to subvert democracy with Russian help, over and over again. At that point we actually probably need military intervention, but I doubt that happens. People will probably say I'm catastrophising but we're dangerously close to an irreversible tipping point. Massive peaceful protests aren't going to stop a bunch of rich old white men with the military behind them.

He's purging and then installing the IC with loyalists. Why do you think that is? He wins again with Russian help there's no one left to take him down.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
CNN Just reported that White House sources tell them regulations protect Trump from negative information to come out if he's not charged with a crime.

Which of course they are saying that, but I'm giddy at wondering *why* they're saying that on background
It's nonsense, obviously. It's not going to stop them going for it, but again, you can't have it both ways.

Because then impeachment is impossible.

Fortunately leaks are going to leak, and the house are going to continue their good work.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017

Mike DeBonis ✔
@mikedebonis

Inside Thursday's tense House Dems meeting: an exasperated Pelosi demanding moderates stiffen their spines, AOC threatening to put them on "a list" and mods begging for forbearance.
GOP floor mischief paying off in spades...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...d163fe-3b87-11e9-a06c-3ec8ed509d15_story.html

AiJ6Pz2.gif

Anything more detailed in this article than the one that came down earlier today? I'm getting paywall'd.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

Technically, Kushner (now) only has top secret clearance, not sensitive compartmented information like the presidential daily brief. So he doesn't have access to America's most sensitive information, as Cummings says he does. On the other hand, I believe Kushner had an interim clearance at the beginning and he could see the PDB. On the gripping hand, I'll bet Trump wouldn't think twice about revealing PDB information to Kushner, but not in detail since Trump doesn't actually read or absorb the PDB.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Literally you have evidence the president committed crimes while in office. The house has a constitutional duty to investigate in impeachment proceedings. Impeachment is the equivalent of an indictment. If every prosecutor had to decide whether a jury would convict before starting to gather proof, nobody would ever go to jail.

Removing a president is a political process, judge, jury, and all has nothing on this.

The jury is majority comprised of Trump's party who are hardline and definitely wont vote him. The jury also suffers no consequences from ignoring literally all evidence. Dont you get it?

If proceedings start, then impeachment is a certainty. Removal from office is highly unlikely, at least with the information we currently have.

You mean impossible. Lol

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

BECAUSE NOTHING WILL HAPPEN IF THE SENATE DOESN'T VOTE TO REMOVE HIM FROM OFFICE.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Your mistake is thinking of impeachment as a legal matter. It is a political one.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
BECAUSE NOTHING WILL HAPPEN IF THE SENATE DOESN'T VOTE TO REMOVE HIM FROM OFFICE.
Yup. Way too many GOP senators (even those who would like to impeach) are scared as fuck of the hell they'll receive from their trump-supporting constituents. I'm pretty sure some of these trump-supporters are so fucking insane that they will resort to violence towards anyone who ousts trump.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
CNN Just reported that White House sources tell them regulations protect Trump from negative information to come out if he's not charged with a crime.

Which of course they are saying that, but I'm giddy at wondering *why* they're saying that on background

How many times has "White House sources" been Rudy Giuliani making up straight nonsense?

Oct 27, 2017
Right this minute Maddow is asking this very thing: we know he overvalued a property by 250k and submitted this to a bank. What happens with that, and who does it? So far the answer given by her guest is "hopefully there are enough judicial nodes at work such that justice will be served. In this particular case, bank fraud like this is prosecuted all the time. Bank fraud has counterparts in multiple states such that the attorney general couldn't intercept a referral and prevent prosecution. Still, it's definitely a situation where people will feel better when it's actually happening.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anything more detailed in this article than the one that came down earlier today? I'm getting paywall'd.
Open in incognito mode. Nothing new in this article. The only difference I can even remember is maybe it talked about the timing of MTR and the other didn't. Maybe they both did but you're not missing anything if you skip this one.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
We'll have to agree to disagree, but we're just going around in circles.

You're saying you can never go into this without being certain about the final outcome.

Your disagreeing that there's a political process in congress about impeaching presidents, and that Trump has massive loyalty among congressmen and women there?

edit: It would be stupid to do this without counting the votes before hand. Failure is not an option.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing he could do or be exposed as being that would get enough votes in the Senate to convict.

Maybe that elevator tape of him punching Melania but Cohen seemed pretty sure it wasn't real.

But yeah, it will take something utterly shocking like that, on video. I don't actually think even the piss tape would do it if it's just him sitting in a chair watching some shit (piss).

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it sucks, would be nice if you could just blackmail or bribe the GOP into impeaching trump but if you tried that they'd just scream at the top of their lungs that seeeeee, it's the Dems that are corrupt. Mueller has to indict or the polling has to be sooooo bad the GOP finally pulls their heads out of their own asses. Not gonna happen though. I look at Fox news here and there for a pulse check. It's bizzaro world. Their base is so solid entirely because of that shit.

If the Dems wanted to do something if they ever have power again it would be to put in serious bias checks on the media involving their advertisers. You want to be propaganda? Well cool the FCC will block all your advertising.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Your disagreeing that there's a political process in congress about impeaching presidents, and that Trump has massive loyalty among congressmen and women there?

edit: It would be stupid to do this without counting the votes before hand. Failure is not an option.
I'm disagreeing about the hopelessness of not even beginning the procedures.

It Doesn't mean take a vote now.
It doesn't mean they should vote to impeachment

It means start investigating. There's enough probable cause to do it

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Impeachment is a political process because if you don't convict the public considers you in the wrong.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Lanny Davis on Maddow now: explosive revelations in the closed hearings today. That's why Cohen is coming back next week.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
There is nothing he could do or be exposed as being that would get enough votes in the Senate to convict.

I don't think that's necessarily true. The same could've been said for Nixon, and was true up until the tapes came out after the Supreme Court battle, and the tapes were just absolutely damning and he said some disgusting things. They did not have the votes until his voice was on tape. I think that's what it will take.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'm disagreeing about the hopelessness of not even beginning the procedures.

It Doesn't mean take a vote now.
It doesn't mean they should vote to impeachment

It means start investigating. There's enough probable cause to do it

Why wouldn't people be cynical about this?

Why are you acting like the Dems would't be ok with impeaching him right now? Doing that takes time.

They have, for months. That's part of why Cohen was testifying in congress.

I don't think that's necessarily true. The same could've been said for Nixon, and was true up until the tapes came out after the Supreme Court battle, and the tapes were just absolutely damning and he said some disgusting things. They did not have the votes until his voice was on tape. I think that's what it will take.

Nixon didn't have Fox News and he certainly didn't have a party as corrupt as the current one. They had higher standards for impeaching than right now. Trump's said and done worse on camera, we're still are having difficulty impeaching him.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Impeachment is a political process because if you don't convict the public considers you in the wrong.
Literally the only example we have of this is Clinton, and the GOP was overreaching, and people knew it in real time.

A BJ in the Oval Office isn't the same as the shady shit Trump has pulled.

If the Mueller report comes out and says Trump aided and abetted Russia, but Republicans won't convict in the Senate, nothing should be done either?

Status
Not open for further replies.