• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017

Beto doesn't have a position on Brexit?? Calves rapidly uncramping.

* A guy that is this malleable has a good chance to win the presidency. We just don't know what we'll get afterward.

I don't know about malleable, maybe just not prepared. I don't think he had any intention of running for President during the Senate campaign and I think he really believed he could beat Ted Cruz. So I think he just hasn't yet fully formed his positions on the slew of national issues or internationals issues.

I'm not saying that's a good thing. But I get the vibe, he doesn't really want to run for President and he would have preferred to be a Texas Senator. Whereas Mayor Pete was clearly planning to run for President for many many months before anyone in the national media even knew his name. So he's prepared on the issues and he does have that "it" factor. Mayor Booty is still my number one choice but I am concerned that he hasn't cracked even in 1% in any of the polls or straw polls. Other no-name people hickledooper or whatever is ranking higher despite Buttigieg doing national media for the past 2 months. Everybody says they like Booty but it's not showing up in the polls thus far and that's a bit concerning to me. I hope he's not facing an unspoken negative bias because he's gay similar to what black politicians have to face.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about malleable, maybe just not prepared. I don't think he had any intention of running for President during the Senate campaign and I think he really believed he could beat Ted Cruz. So I think he just hasn't yet fully formed his positions on the slew of national issues or internationals issues.

I'm not saying that's a good thing. But I get the vibe, he doesn't really want to run for President and he would have preferred to be a Texas Senator. Whereas Mayor Pete was clearly planning to run for President for many many months before anyone in the national media even knew his name. So he's prepared on the issues and he does have that "it" factor. Mayor Booty is still my number one choice but I am concerned that he hasn't cracked even in 1% in any of the polls or straw polls. Other no-name people hickledooper or whatever is ranking higher despite Buttigieg doing national media for the past 2 months. Everybody says they like Booty but it's not showing up in the polls thus far and that's a bit concerning to me. I hope he's not facing an unspoken negative bias because he's gay similar to what black politicians have to face.
PoliERA and Politwitter love Mayor Pete. No one else knows who he is. If he's able to get more general recognition (such as in the debates), he could be more formidable.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but this is going to go nowhere.

Trump is bad at almost everything, but he's a good carny and knows how to work a room full of rubes. Trump Jr., however, completely lacks charisma, even his father's revolting, lowbrow, dumb-shit-for-dumb-fucks version. There's a reason why nobody knew the first thing about him until his father ran for president.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is bad at almost everything, but he's a good carny and knows how to work a room full of rubes. Trump Jr., however, completely lacks charisma, even his father's revolting, lowbrow, dumb-shit-for-dumb-fucks version. There's a reason why nobody knew the first thing about him until his father ran for president.
Yeah. I feel if Don Jr. ran, everyone's question would be asking why it isn't Ivanka. Even Trump only ever seems to praise her while barely ever mentioning his other kids.

Oct 27, 2017
Trump jr did a whole lot of campaigning for his dad in the South, so some there may go for him.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As expected, EPA SIGNIFICANTLY scales back Obama-era plan to ban most uses of a very toxic paint stripper called Methylene Chloride, which has killed dozens of people. Decides only to ban consumer sales, via retail and online. Will still allow commercial uses by contractors.
FYI, most deaths attributed to the use of Methylene Chloride have been via use by contractors/commercial users. This rule will not stop that.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I feel if Don Jr. ran, everyone's question would be asking why it isn't Ivanka. Even Trump only ever seems to praise her while barely ever mentioning his other kids.
I don't think Republican primary voters would be asking that. They'd go for the raging hate that Jr delivers over Ivanka's pseudo-sophisticated blandness.

Last edited:

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Trump does have a weird magnetic charisma that none of his kids have at all. It's hard to see any of them doing anything, but the GOP might anoint them simply for coming from his seed for all we know.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
At the least, whoever comes off most like Trump is certainly going to win the next Republican primary (after Trump). Actual businessmen will have an advantage over any politician and Don Jr. though.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I would assume something like that would just be a way of selling it to the public without opening oneself up to accusations of blatant partisanship, while also avoiding setting a shitty precedent.

Like sure, the next Dem president could just add two justices. But then there's nothing stopping the next GOP president from adding two more once they assume power, and then just continually one-upping one another.

I'm of the mind that court reform should be more about divorcing the judiciary from the executive branch. "Gotta vote the party so we win SCOTUS" is a pretty lousy spot to be in.

That being said, you're probably right that a scheme like this would need a Constitutional amendment to work, and I don't know how you'd account for third parties. I certainly wouldn't expect it to just say flat out "Democrats get 5, Republicans get 5" because either party could easily die off.

I think the easier thing is to tie the judiciary *explicitly* to presidential election outcomes. Reduce the number of justices to 7, and every time you win a presidential election, you get to pick a justice. Pocket 28-year term limits. Interim justices are either appointed by the retiring justice (if retiring), or by 4/6 of the remaining justices (in case of sudden death on the bench), but only to serve out the rest of the 28 year term. Sudden death makes the court more moderate and over time the party winning more presidential elections is guaranteed more seats.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If Cernovich is actually worried that children are in any sort of danger from James Gunn being reinstated, then he is a fucking idiot. In fact, I'm pretty damn certain he doesn't actually believe that and that he is just being disingenuous to own the libs.

Wait, you pretty much said as much yourself. Oh well.
He doesn't believe a word of it. At no point did he ever think Gunn wasn't just making edgy jokes. It's always been a deliberate fake narrative, pretending to take them literally.
I recall in their original "exposé", they posted a youtube link Gunn had posted along one of his shitty jokes, but obscured the actual link so you couldn't click it, and added a caption portraying like it was some scummy video of children. What was the video Gunn had posted? A friggin Rick Roll.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
julian was the one aspiring to the presidency. Joaquin is one who doesn't think he's too cool for congress.

Yup, Joaquin's the good one so this is a good get.

Trump does have a weird magnetic charisma that none of his kids have at all. It's hard to see any of them doing anything, but the GOP might anoint them simply for coming from his seed for all we know.

GOP's going to drop-kick the Trumps so fast if he loses next year. 72 hours after the election is called he'll be un-personed on Fox News. He doesn't have the real money that would be needed to effectively take over the GOP.

The problem is that Trump exposed where the base is, and so when the plutocrat overlords try to move the GOP on into a post-Trump age it's going to be a hard sell. The base isn't going to want to go back to Romneyism and a lack of enthusiasm will tell.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
A charisma-free douche son with nothing to his name, not even fake accomplishments and fame like Trump had, carrying all the baggage of his crook father (and his own participation)? No, it's delusion.
Eh. I think he could still beat other Republican primary contenders, but I don't think Trumpism will be a good general election strategy in the future. Even Trump won more based on Hillary getting slandered rather than on Trump himself.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I have to wonder if the next presidential primary for the GOP is an inverse of 2016 where there are too many candidates trying to be the next Trump that split the vote and allow the donor class-backed candidate claim a plurality.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I think he could still beat other Republican primary contenders, but I don't think Trumpism will be a good general election strategy in the future. Even Trump won more based on Hillary getting slandered rather than on Trump himself.
Trump had massive built-in advantages that his children don't have. Don Jr is just a slimy moron no one likes, including his own father. I don't see him winning even a primary.

Oct 27, 2017
This maddow show...trump admin tracked individual girls' pregnancies of asylum seekers and detainees, including how far along and whether it was consensual, assault, etc. And whether abortion was requested.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Rachael Got them recipts Y'all. Trumps disgusting government is tracking girls so they can get rid of them so they don't have to be citizens and also block them from getting Abortions.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This maddow show...trump admin tracked individual girls' pregnancies of asylum seekers and detainees, including how far along and whether it was consensual, assault, etc. And whether abortion was requested.
Rachael Got them recipts Y'all. Trumps disgusting government is tracking girls so they can get rid of them so they don't have to be citizens and also block them from getting Abortions.
YdA9PZt.gif

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

America imprisons asylum seekers and forces them to bear children, but doesn't allow those children to become citizens and deports them to dangerous living conditions with unwilling parents.

What the fuck is even the logic behind this, some sort of perverse inverted utilitarian argument where they're seeking to maximize human misery?

Status
Not open for further replies.