• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can return to some normalcy within the presidency itself, but we need to fight like hell to keep it that way. Especially since the media is going to sorely miss the daily trainwreck that is the Trump presidency and the ratings associated with that, and his crazy ass fan base who loves every minute of this.

I feel like the poison that has seeped into our society will have long lasting and far reaching effects going forward

Removing Trump is important but far from the end of our problems

This will take generations to fix and even then it will be an uphill battle against very powerful and very terrible base of people

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Please don't assume that a dem win is a forgone conclusion. If we do that, we stop fighting, and if we stop fighting, we lose.

There are plenty of reasons to keep fighting. All anyone has to do is glance at the news every day.

I don't think complacency will be a problem this time around. And even when it was a problem in 2016, it affected almost no one who is a current and active member of this forum. It was mostly 'independents.'

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Please don't assume that a dem win is a forgone conclusion. If we do that, we stop fighting, and if we stop fighting, we lose.
Oh no, it definitely isn't a forgone conclusion. I am just basing my guess on the fact that Trump will continue to piss off more and more people over the next two years. If the pressure is kept on him and he keeps lashing out, our chances just get better and better.

People like us posting on this forum will never stop fighting, but I am just thinking of the casual voter who really doesn't follow this stuff day in and day out. At some point Trump will have or has already done something to harm them in some direct or indirect way and his base has to be shrinking. As of right now I like where our chances are, and sure 2020 is a long way away, but I just can't see Trump magically doing something to win over left leaning and women voters.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I feel like the poison that has seeped into our society will have long lasting and far reaching effects going forward

Removing Trump is important but far from the end of our problems

This will take generations to fix and even then it will be an uphill battle against very powerful and very terrible base of people
At the very least, if we win 2020, we need to hold the line in 2022 and (obviously) the Dem needs to win re-election in 2024.

With climate change it's literally getting to the point where it's existential, so we need Democrats fully in charge for the lion's share of the next decade. Beating the three term curse will be important in this respect too, so a Dem president in 2028 can continue implementing the green agenda.

I think 2022 should be somewhat fine because the Senate map is great for us (we actually have quite a few offensive opportunities and very few vulnerable seats) and the House maps will be better. I actually think they could learn a lot from Trump in how to campaign for a midterm, especially compared to Obama's less enthusiastic approach.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
So basically, like with Mulvaney, Barr is pretty much protecting Trump from bullets while Democrats fire blanks at him.

Could you imagine if Janet Reno did this to the Starr Report? Newt would have imploded.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I remember distinctly that there were Congressman on the left willing to give Barr the benefit of the doubt prior to his appointment and said he's a decent, honest guy. There were plenty of pundits and former lawyers on MSNBC who worked with/under him before who said that we should trust him until we see what he does. That we were wrong to simply assume that since Trump appointed him he was automatically a stooge.

Welp, it's crystal fucking clear after reading some of these quotes today that he's 100% a stooge who will do everything in his power to shield anything bad from coming out about the president.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

This is a great development.

There is a distinct possibility that we can gain massively in the Texas elections, but it needs to be coordinated. I know they're already trying to define John Cornyn (who's been fairly anonymous as a senator), which should help (hopefully) Joaquin Castro win his race.

Flip the Senate seat, pick up those six seats, win the State House... Winning the presidential election at that point would just be the cherry on top. The State Senate is close on paper, though I've heard from Democrats there that getting the GOP down to just a one-seat majority (16-15) is about the best we could do. That would still put us in a strong position though if we won the State House with it. Redistricting would be much fairer and we could maybe even pass the Medicaid expansion (assuming Abbott wouldn't veto it).

Oct 27, 2017
I remember distinctly that there were Congressman on the left willing to give Barr the benefit of the doubt prior to his appointment and said he's a decent, honest guy. There were plenty of pundits and former lawyers on MSNBC who worked with/under him before who said that we should trust him until we see what he does. That we were wrong to simply assume that since Trump appointed him he was automatically a stooge.

Welp, it's crystal fucking clear after reading some of these quotes today that he's 100% a stooge who will do everything in his power to shield anything bad from coming out about the president.

Yup. And they were saying this about Barr as late as the end of last week, even.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017

He's literally obstructing justice for Trump, the Mueller Report may have not come to a conclusion but the crime isn't over yet

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

I had a Twitter troll try to convince me that getting votes from Manchin and Sinema meant Barr had bipartisan Senate support.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Well this is not going well for Barr at all. As expected. Plenty for Dems to use in the battle for pubic opinion.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Hahahahhaa Barr thought he finally made a late round comeback, then got shut down... oh man that was rich.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Noted Hitler apologist, Candace Owens equating racism to people getting dunked on for height on tinder or something

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
OK so if we look at what Roberts said in regard to the individual mandate:

The Federal Government does not have the power to order people to buy health insurance. Section 5000A [of the Internal Revenue Code] would therefore be unconstitutional if read as a command. The Federal Government does have the power to impose a tax on those without health insurance. Section 5000A is therefore constitutional, because it can reasonably be read as a tax.

Fast forward to 2017, the mandate is nullified because of the tax law passed in that year. What I'm trying to figure out is how does eliminating the mandate justify throwing out the entire law? It was merely a question of if the federal government can force people to buy health insurance, and Roberts already said no they cannot but the law continued on. How did the mandate surviving for a time as a tax then justify holding up the entire law? Is that even what Roberts was saying? To me it seemed like a narrow question. The rest of the law can survive with our without the mandate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.