• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Director of Communications for noted conservative activist group TPUSA, key speaker at CPAC, her own youtube has a headlining video where the title is literally 'I'm a conservative'

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
OK so if we look at what Roberts said in regard to the individual mandate:

Fast forward to 2017, the mandate is nullified because of the tax law passed in that year. What I'm trying to figure out is how does eliminating the mandate justify throwing out the entire law? It was merely a question of if the federal government can force people to buy health insurance, and Roberts already said no they cannot but the law continued on. How did the mandate surviving for a time as a tax then justify holding up the entire law? Is that even what Roberts was saying? To me it seemed like a narrow question. The rest of the law can survive with our without the mandate.
That's why most people don't really think SCOTUS will get chucked out. The five members who upheld the law's constitutionality before are still there. Even the later ruling with Kennedy siding with the liberals was 6-3 with Roberts.

Oct 27, 2017
Trump just said to reporters "Obama separated the children. I stopped it. But you see what happens when you stop it, they just keep coming over. Obama separated the children, I changed it."

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
That's why most people don't really think SCOTUS will get chucked out. The five members who upheld the law's constitutionality before are still there. Even the later ruling with Kennedy siding with the liberals was 6-3 with Roberts.
Right. As for King v. Burwell it was an entirely different question though... one asking if the federal marketplace is even valid when a State refuses to set up its own. Meaning if it wasn't, then every state relying on the federal marketplace wouldn't be able to and people couldn't shop for ACA plans there nor could they get an ACA plan. The mandate was still in effect at that time of course. But they didn't really speak to that one way or another from what I can remember, because it didn't really go after the mandate as it was partially upheld with the tax in place at the time, so it was merely a question of the validity of HHS setting up the federal marketplace when the State won't do so. That is, if I am remembering right. Anyway it seems like Trump and his DOJ are honing in on revisiting NFIB v. Sebelius now that some things (well, one thing) has changed.

I do think what's happening now is the Trump administration basically throwing Roberts' 2012 ruling right back in his face and challenging him to justify a continuation of upholding the law now that the mandate is gone. If 5000A was unconstitutional on the question of forcing individuals to buy health insurance alone, and with what he referred to as a tax now being null, what does this mean in a broader context? 5000A is basically repealed between judicial and congressional actions taken between 2012 and 2017.

Last edited:

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
Speaking in the Oval Office, Trump said he would not restart child separation at the border and blamed Obama for the policy

"Just so you understand, President Obama separated the children. Those cages that were shown--I think they were very inappropriate--were by President Obama's administration not by Trump. President Obama had child separation," said the president said.

"Take a look. The press knows it. You know it. We all know it. I'm the one who stopped it. President Obama had child separation."

This gaslighting fucker is at it again.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Trump just said to reporters "Obama separated the children. I stopped it. But you see what happens when you stop it, they just keep coming over. Obama separated the children, I changed it."
"Obama did it! But also you should do it! But Obama did it and it's bad! But also it's the only way to do it!"

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Hitler fanboys/girls are really something.

One of them told me it wasn't really Hitler's fault that people were tortured and murdered en mass at concentration camps, it was the people under him, he was just trying to manage all of it and it was too much for one man to deal with!

Like, are you really that stupid? Or are you just too shy/embarrassed to admit that you're comfortably evil and thought the Holocaust was a good idea?

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

One of them told me it wasn't really Hitler's fault that people were tortured and murdered en mass at concentration camps, it was the people under him, he was just trying to manage all of it and it was too much for one man to deal with!

Like, are you really that stupid? Or are you just too shy/embarrassed to admit that you're comfortably evil and thought the Holocaust was a good idea?
It's an analogue to the Mueller investigation for sure.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/axios
NEW: The FBI's former general counsel told the House Judiciary Committee it's his understanding Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein said there were 2 members of Trump's cabinet who were willing to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office https://www.axios.com/fbi-james-baker-25th-amendment-trump-cabinet-rosenstein-91b4c848-01d5-49c9-a802-da4a5a2615f1.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100 …

13:13 - 9 Apr 2019
Twitter Ads information and privacy
https://t.co/U410hlBFwy
Why is Candace Owens a thing? Why is she in front of Congress?
Because Kanye

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

"I was just giving orders!" is certainly a fresh spin.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans attacking Omar are trying to distract from the fact Miller is a white supremacist.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
David Shor is a really good twitter follow out of the data science crew on twitter btw- some discussion piggybacking on a Noah Smith tweet on how much "bottom up" vs "top down" actually works in today's hyper-polarized world as well as w/ the history of party coalitions in the US/Europe.

On the middle point- that alliance crashed and burned with Civil Rights in the US, but that type of realignment/sorting event never actually occurred in Europe, so even though both are showing the "Left is becoming the domain of the college educated while bleeding majority non-college voters" trend, they have very different party coalitions as starting points.

Status
Not open for further replies.