• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
So what's been going on the past 4 days?
Barr is an evil, ugly-and-annoying-glasses-wearing sack of shit who flexed his muscles even more today by being a smug asshole in regard to the Mueller report and Trump's latest effort to destroy the ACA. It's like watching the mafia destroy the country.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
We all know that trump doesn't give a fuck that government isn't supposed to operate like a corporation. And that a president is not at all similar to a president of a company. But FUCK, I wish the GOP senate at leased cared for these institutions and how they're supposed to run!

I mean, trump is gonna trump, but the senate? I'm now far more pissed at the GOP senate for enabling him and letting run roughshod over our government and procedures, not unlike parents who take their shitty toddler to a nice restaurant and let him have the run of the place with no thought given to the employees or other customers.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any St. Louisians keep tracking of this "Better Together" project were city and county are trying to reunite

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/stl...i-rep-has-a-way-to-do-it/Content?oid=31289507

It's very confusing and I'm not bright and so it's also really fucking confusing

so can anyone here in the STL comment
This is a very, very, very good thing if it happens. It will ensure tax revenues are shared regionwide instead of being hoarded by well-off segregated neighborhoods. Which is why a Republican is leading the charge to oppose it. If I were local I'd want to help push the vote on this hard.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
So is it safe to assume at this point that Barr forced the Mueller probe to conclude prematurely? Because I doubted it at first but it feels a sure thing now.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
We all know that trump doesn't give a fuck that government isn't supposed to operate like a corporation. And that a president is not at all similar to a president of a company. But FUCK, I wish the GOP senate at leased cared for these institutions and how they're supposed to run!

I mean, trump is gonna trump, but the senate? I'm now far more pissed at the GOP senate for enabling him and letting run roughshod over our government and procedures, not unlike parents who take their shitty toddler to a nice restaurant and let him have the run of the place with no thought given to the employees or other customers.
Most of the GOP doesn't give a damn. They never had the guts to really show their true colors and fully lead or communicate in the vein of Trump's balls to the wall authoritarian leadership style so they are doing it by proxy and by the people (be it cabinet level or a judge), policies, and bills they support. They have concerns and say they don't know what he's doing or don't understand or wish he'd tone it down on that gosh darn twitter but the entire time they've basically just been riding on his coattails while looking at the public in the eye and saying "gosh, I just don't know what's going on here" or stay quiet.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
So Camden NJ nuked its police force along with the union 5-6 years ago, and has since seen a big increase in clearance rates and a big decrease in crime rates- https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2019/04/better-police-less-crime-in-camden-nj.html

Seriously. Ban. Police. Unions.

It's why i'm not totally against curtailing public sector unions.
But, Teacher unions have done a lot of good in recent years, and i'm not sure government lobbying would have been enough to get some of the changes they have pushed for.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
UGH. Here we are in 2019 (I can't believe it's already 2019). 2016 feels like eons ago. Does anyone realize how much this feels like being sucked into a vortex? It's exhausting. Trump has to be defeated next year. If he's not, I really think that's about it for the US. He has already done irreversible damage but a second term would be absolutely crushing, not sure how the country would ever bounce back.

Silly as it may sound, I still can't believe he was elected sometimes.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
If it was not clear, that trump 2020 video was just reposted from Reddit or somewhere similar.

Oct 27, 2017
So far it seems the "coordinated" strategy the admin is using to defend against investigations, etc. is to "wing it".

They've already likely broken laws via coordinating/contacting government agencies in order to "negotiate" release or non-release of information, and we get Barr round 2 tomorrow in front of the Senate. I expect lots of interrupting of the ranking member and minority members, yielding of time to the chairman, and lots of "mr. chairman, mr. chairman" time-wasting callouts.

Happo

Jul 5, 2018
7pb5.jpg

Are fucking kidding me Ted?

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
The retweet still contains Owen's original message about Hitler, though. Ted is smarter than that to reach across the aisle to grifters.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I did which is why I'm disappointed.
Yeah, I don't think your take is correct. Notice he didn't reply to Rubin's offer to facilitate a sitdown.

The retweet still contains Owen's original message about Hitler, though. Ted is smarter than that to reach across the aisle to grifters.
This. Ted is one of the sharpest Congressmen and well aware of grifters like Rubin. He knew what he was doing with that retweet for sure.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I wish that the next Dem President is willing to go scorched earth on the entire GOP.
Some very serious measures need to be taken. We can't just try to go back to normal. This cancer needs to be cut out and eradicated so it can't come back so easily next time. We can't let everyone off the hook to only enable these people to return to the game or the next generation to do the same.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
It's why i'm not totally against curtailing public sector unions.
But, Teacher unions have done a lot of good in recent years, and i'm not sure government lobbying would have been enough to get some of the changes they have pushed for.

I have mixed opinions on teacher unions. It's good they fight for more resources, better pay, and better benefits. It's not so good that they defend awful teachers and at times seem more dedicated to "a teachers a teacher is a teacher" than recognizing exceptional teachers. Obviously mileage will vary, but they often tend to get good publicity one month and then do bafflingly silly things shortly after to squander it.

Oct 27, 2017
Some very serious measures need to be taken. We can't just try to go back to normal. This cancer needs to be cut out and eradicated so it can't come back so easily next time. We can't let everyone off the hook to only enable these people to return to the game or the next generation to do the same.

I agree with you so much

The reasonability of this quote

take me by the hand and let us frolic near the pond and the tall grass with the golden retriever barking nonsensically at us

There is some strength in this above post, it is quite a handsome quote

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

Hate to paraphrase the tyrant Daenerys, but this revolving wheel of shit we're on has to be broken asunder.

We can't do what we did after Nixon. We can't do what we did after Reagan+Bush. We can't do what we did after Dubya. We're long past a crossroads and the point of no return on many things, notably climate change. We don't have the time and innocent families and innocents in general will continue to die and have their lives destroyed.
There needs to be a massive societal 180, and if Dems have to force that by being extra mean to their "friends across the aisle" by bringing up and going after every misdeed, crime, and evil - then they should've been doing that before I was born. Fuck a light, shine the damn sun on these assholes.

Thank god for Maxine Waters and Letitia James though. I don't see them going "let bygones be bygones" or "that's the way of the world *shrug*". That's the important thing about making sure diverse, powerful women and men of color of all different backgrounds are given more opportunities to show some power and shape the narrative.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie waited 6 years to release 10 years of tax returns. Almost makes me wonder what 10 years would've looked like when he should've first released them.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Did someone say Medicare fraud?

https://www.wistv.com/2019/04/09/fe...fraud-scheme-dubbed-operation-brace-yourself/

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - The largest Medicare fraud scheme in the history of the Federal Bureau of Investigation originated in South Carolina and involves telemarketers peddling medical braces, international call centers, and kickbacks for those who participated in the United States to the tune of nearly $1 billion, U.S. Attorney in South Carolina Sherri Lydon said.

The scheme, entitled "Operation Brace Yourself," has more than 80 search warrants in 17 federal districts and originated in Charleston.

"The same spoon who feeds the drug defendants, the felons in possession of firearms, and corrupt officials will also serve those companies and individuals who dare to commit Medicare fraud," Lydon said. "Medicare fraud is not a victimless crime. Ultimately, it is the taxpayer who will be left with paying higher healthcare premiums and out-of-pocket cost that will result because of fraud in the Medicare system."

The uncovered scheme went as follows: Medicare customers would be targeted in ads for Medicare premiums. The customer would call a call center in the Phillippines and the victim would be up-sold "free to low-cost durable medical braces" for ailments in knees, necks, and other joints. The call centers paid illegal medical kickbacks and bribes to managers and operators of tele-medical companies and others who participated in exchange for "DME (durable medical equipment) orders for those Medicare beneficaries."

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Bernie waited 6 years to release 10 years of tax returns. Almost makes me wonder what 10 years would've looked like when he should've first released them.
Wait, he's actually doing it?

Ah... on Monday I see. 10 years is good enough for me.

That's good news. Tear off that band aid and ensure we don't lose the 'release your taxes you fucking crook' angle towards Trump should Sanders win the nomination. (Yes that means I'm presuming we won't have Trump's tax returns by November next year).

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Any St. Louisians keep tracking of this "Better Together" project were city and county are trying to reunite

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/stl...i-rep-has-a-way-to-do-it/Content?oid=31289507

It's very confusing and I'm not bright and so it's also really fucking confusing

so can anyone here in the STL comment

Generally, I think making city and county unite is a good idea on sound governance grounds, and favored by progressives.

I think the soccer stadium was a good example of how city/county divides are making it impossible for St. Louis to become a world class city again. For the people who don't know, St. Louis city voters narrowly turned down a bond to fund a stadium for an MLS team in downtown St. Louis. Bracketing the question as to whether municipal funds should ever be spent on sports team or stadiums, the project was doomed by the fact that not all the people using the amenities could be taxed to pay for the amenities. Realistically, MLS was asking the poorer and blacker city to pay for infrastructure more likely to be used by richer and whiter people in the suburbs. Why should they, if the county isn't even going to pay its fair share?

And that's true of almost all the public works spending you'd want to do in STL. St. Charles attracts all the Republican douchebags with low taxes , but they still make monthly trips to the symphony and yearly trips to the zoo, all partially paid for by STL city taxpayers. The city is centrally located and has the infrastructure to support public events that are attractive to the entire metropolitan area. But it's also the poorest part of the city and the one whose tax dollars are badly needed elsewhere.

But this applies to almost all infrastructure projects, too. Even the roads in STL city proper are often more used by commuters from the county than residents. You can't do much with the water, sewer, power, or internet infrastructure without buy-in from the city. The bottom line is, there's just way too many things that affect all St. Louisians to leave policymaking to a million little squabbling fiefdoms. We participate in the same institutions, often drive on the same roads, benefit from the same public amenities, rely on the same infrastructure. We should decide what to build, and pay for it, together. The rich have managed to avoid paying their fair share of the services they use through this divide and conquer strategy, and she shouldn't be allowed to do it anymore.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, he's actually doing it?

Ah... on Monday I see. 10 years is good enough for me.

That's good news. Tear off that band aid and ensure we don't lose the 'release your taxes you fucking crook' angle towards Trump should Sanders win the nomination. (Yes that means I'm presuming we won't have Trump's tax returns by November next year).
Right. The bigger point is that politicians need to be able to argue for more equitable outcomes even when they occupy the position they're arguing against. It's kinda bullshit that he's pulled this for so long without owning up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.