• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

US PoliERA 2019 |OT4| Folded like a DOG

Also true. That said, we do know this is how the people who originally linked the GOP and anti-abortion movement looked at it. They saw it as an issue that could be used to drive turnout in elections.
Sure. Those folks ain't running the party anymore though.

Plus, they can always harp on something else to goose turnout. Too many women reading books, too many black folks not saluting the flag, too many gay folks shacking up, too many trans folks using the "wrong" restroom, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
A guest on maddow, a writer for slate, thinks Alabama fucked up by going in so hard and so cruel. She doesn't think Roberts will go for this in an election year.
This was my thoughts yesterday evening. Roberts won’t be overturning Roe vs. Wade to the extent that a law can criminalize almost all forms of abortion and stay valid. He wouldn’t mind putting some dents into it that could give way in time. But a full out ban like Alabama? Hell no.

Something like an entirely arbitrary and unscientific abortion ban based on time feels like a thing that could be upheld under the normal guise of judicial vagueness and bullshitting adaptive precedent, but yeah an outright ban that would entirely overturn every last word of what's on the record is a much harder sell.

TLDR, they should have passed one that did have rape and incest exemptions and it would be easier to get away with.

Oct 27, 2017
TLDR, they should have passed one that did have rape and incest exemptions and it would be easier to get away with
They've primed the base so much with promises of full repeal, that anything less would be seen as weak tea when they have shiny new SCOTUS toys. Conservatives have to turn the sadism up to 11, or the dogs get confused and start barking at them, and we all know the only thing these assholes fear is a primary from the right.

I was expecting Betsy DeVos go full blown Super Ultra Margaret Spellings vs Postcards from Buster and Arthur II: Turbo HD Champion Mega Aardvark Fighters EX Plus Alpha Arcade Edition Mix
It's funny how controversial that allusion to lesbianism in Postcards from Buster was, while Mr. Ratburn coming out and getting married is hardly a blink on anyone's radar, and all from the same show, 23 years running (granting that Postcards from Buster is a spinoff)

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I think they went full-on with the bill, as they don't actually care if it lasts.

They want the courts to overturn it. The end goal is to always get the courts back, and if they can point at that mean ol' liberal John Roberts....well, that's another wave of donations coming through.

I remembered Conrad Black when his company owned the Chicago Sun-Times until all of the lawsuits propped and was forced to sell and then getting indicted by Patrick Fitzgerald then got convicted for mail fraud which led him to go all the way up to the SC for Black vs. United States.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that come 2021 when a Democrat sits in the White House, Democrats control the house, McConnell -might- still control the Senate, and McConnell will come out and spout some nonsense about returning to normalcy and normal government practices and working to move past the last 4 years for a more prosperous America.

Then President Warren should promptly punch him in his turtle throat.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...989555e7766_story.html?utm_term=.dfee301dd9f1

"“It depends on what comes out,” Nadler said. “It depends where the American people are, whether they want to go that way or not. I don’t want to make it sound as if we’re heading for impeachment. Probably we’re not.”"

Does Nadler not understand that his words have an effect on where the American people want to go...?

Nadler: Being passive isn't winning you respect from allies or fear from these jackholes.

What's with Alabama's fixation with endlessly perpetuating the stereotype of their being a third world country in the middle of the US? Does the infinite misery sexually arouse them or something? They can't actually enjoy being a global punchline, right?
“I’ll tell you what’s at the bottom of it. If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”

Welcome to the resistance, Arthur.
YOU MEAN THE DRAGON OF BUDAPEST? THE SCOURGE OF THE DANUBE?

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a polls specifically of Arizona on reddit in head to head matchups

Biden leads Trump by 5. Bernie behind by almost 10 points. But pretty much every dem other than Biden does poorly there

....man.
A big part of it is still name recognition.

Biden is also the most inoffensive option though and I could actually see him racking up a pretty big EC margin just from white people not wanting to fight about it at Thanksgiving.

Oct 25, 2017
And what, you think we're going to get all weepy here over Trump voters?
No, not suggesting that at all, and they have to live with the consequences of their choice, lest I be misunderstood. It also doesn't mean Dems need to chase after them. I guess I don't know what we do with these rural places that Era seems content to burn to the ground and leave barren as revenge for years of GOP fuckery a la some modern day Sherman's March to the Sea.