• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Firmly in the Beto, Harris, and Warren camp here and would be thrilled to vote for any of them.

Here's a great clip of Harris being fun:

Pure joy.

Yup those are the current 3 I'd be the most excited to vote for. And frankly it helps that Harris is my senator and I've met her.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I hope Dems don't show up and he gets destroyed in his re-election attempt.

Louisiana's a lost cause either way realistically. You got Bel Edwards in as a genuine blue dog and his thing has mostly been to keep the state from burning down budget-wise. In terms of social preferences, he's very conservative between abortion and mass incarceration/blue lives matter shit (and Louisiana's one of the worst states in terms of how deeply embedded their incarceral system is).

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Here's a truncated outline of Bernie's education plan:

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Bernie's education plan addresses the serious crisis in our education system by reducing racial and economic segregation in our public school system, attracting the best and the brightest educational professionals to teach in our classrooms, and reestablishing a positive learning environment for students in our K-12 schools. This plan calls for a transformative investment in our children, our teachers and our schools and a fundamental re-thinking of the unjust and inequitable funding of our public education system.

1. Combating Racial Discrimination and School Segregation

Due to implicit racial bias, Black students, even in preschool, are nearly four times as likely to be suspended as Whites, putting them at greater risk of falling behind and getting caught up in the juvenile justice system. Black students and students with disabilities are more likely to be subjected to exclusionary discipline measures than their same age peers. When a child is pushed out of school they lose instructional time and are more likely to become involved with the juvenile and adult justice systems. We must end the school-to-prison pipeline.

As president, Bernie Sanders will:
  • Build on the Strength in Diversity Act to increase, not cut, federal funding for community-driven strategies to desegregate schools.
  • Triple Title I funding to ensure at-risk schools get the funding they need and end funding penalties for schools that attempt to desegregate.
  • Execute desegregation orders and appoint federal judges who will enforce the 1964 Civil Rights Act in school systems.
  • Address disciplinary practices in schools that disproportionately affect Black children.
  • Establish a dedicated fund to create and expand teacher-training programs at HBCUs, minority-serving institutions (MSIs) and tribal colleges and universities to increase educator diversity.
  • Fully fund the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights and remove current protocols that allow for arbitrary dismissal of complaints.
  • Fund school transportation to help integration, ending the absurd prohibitions in place.
  • Increase funding for public magnet schools to $1 billion annually to help integrate our schools.
  • Increase access to English as a Second Language instruction.
2. End the Unaccountable Profit-Motive of Charter Schools

The damage to communities caused by unregulated charter school growth must be stopped and reversed.

As president, Bernie Sanders will fight to:
  • Ban for-profit charter schools and support the NAACP's moratorium on public funds for charter school expansion until a national audit has been completed to determine the impact of charter growth in each state. That means halting the use of public funds to underwrite new charter schools.
  • We do not need two schools systems; we need to invest in our public schools system. That said, existing charter schools must be made accountable by:
    • Mandating that charter schools comply with the same oversight requirements as public schools.
    • Mandating that at least half of all charter school boards are teachers and parents.
    • Disclosing student attrition rates, non-public funding sources, financial interests and other relevant data.
    • Matching employment practices at charters with neighboring district schools, including standards set by collective bargaining agreements and restrictions on exorbitant CEO pay.
    • Supporting the efforts of charter school teachers to unionize and bringing charter schools to the negotiating table.
3. Equitable Funding for Public Schools
In America today, most school districts are funded out of local property tax revenue, resulting in unconscionable inequalities. The federal government, by conditioning funding on standardized test scores, has worsened the disparities between school districts and among states. Since school districts are funded out of local property taxes, less is invested in the education of children from low-income families compared with their more affluent peers. In America, the quality of a child's education should not and cannot depend on their zip code.

As president, Bernie Sanders will fight to equitably fund our schools. He will:
  • Rethink the link between property taxes and education funding.
  • Establish a national per-pupil spending floor.
  • Eliminate barriers to college-readiness exams by ensuring states cover fees for the ACT, SAT and other college preparatory exams for all students.
  • Triple Title I funding to ensure at-risk schools get the funding they need and end funding penalties for schools that attempt to desegregate.
  • Provide schools with the resources needed to shrink class sizes.
  • Provide $5 billion annually for career and technical education to give our students the skills they need to thrive once they graduate.
  • Ensure schools in rural communities, indigenous communities, Puerto Rico and other U.S. Territories receive equitable funding.
  • Give schools the funding needed to support arts, foreign language and music education to provide all students with important learning opportunities.
4. Strengthen the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

Special Education is an expensive proposition and because of inadequate federal funding, property taxes around the country are increasing while kids with disabilities are not getting the attention they deserve. The IDEA helps about 6.5 million children with disabilities, but because of a chronic lack of funding there is a shortage of special education teachers and physical and speech therapists, and the turnover rate among them is incredibly high.

As president, Bernie Sanders will:

• Provide mandatory funding to ensure that the federal government provides at least 50 percent of the funding for special education.
  • Guarantee children with disabilities an equal right to high-quality education by enforcing the Americans with Disabilities Act.
  • Increase educational opportunities for persons with disabilities, including an expansion in career and technical education opportunities to prepare students for good-paying community employment.
  • Address the shortage in special education teacher recruitment, training opportunities, and pay for special education teachers.
  • Triple Title I funding to ensure students with disabilities are able to get quality education regardless of the zip code they live in.
5. Give Teachers a Much-Deserved Raise and Empower them to Teach
The historic teacher strikes of the past few years has brought national attention to the fact that teachers are paid totally inadequate wages. As a result of low pay and other inequities, 20 percent of teachers now leave the profession within five years – a 40 percent increase from the historical average. This high rate of turnover is more pronounced in low-income communities of color.

• Significantly increase teacher pay by working with states to set a starting salary for teachers at no less than $60,000 tied to cost of living, years of service, and other qualifications; and allowing states to go beyond that floor based on geographic cost of living.
  • End racial and gender disparities in teacher pay.
  • Ensure professional development for all teachers, including continuing education and mentorship programs.
  • Protect and expand collective bargaining rights and teacher tenure.
  • Triple the above-the-line tax deduction for educator expenses and index it to inflation to reimburse teachers for the nearly $500 on average they spend on out of pocket classroom expenses each year.
  • Create a grant program to provide teachers with funds explicitly meant for classroom materials.
  • Empower teachers to provide a teacher-supported curriculum that gives students the best possible education.
6. Expand After-School/Summer Education Programs

After-school/summer programs also alleviate a major burden on working families. These programs work for children, families and communities. Disgracefully, the Trump Administration has proposed eliminating $2 billion in funding for after-school and summer learning programs, which would devastate some 1.7 million children and families. We should expand the number of programs in order to meet the need. For every child now in an after-school program, two more are waiting to get in.

Bernie has a better idea. As president, he will:
  • Spend $5 billion annually to substantially expand access to summer and after-school programs, teen centers and tutoring.
7. Universal School Meals
In America today, one in every six kids goes hungry. Instead of addressing this crisis, students with lunch debt are sometimes denied meals, have debt collectors sent after their families, and are even denied their diplomas. Unacceptable. It is not a radical idea that no child in this country should go hungry. We must ensure that all students have access to healthy school meals.

• Provide year-round, free universal school meals; breakfast, lunch and snacks through our school meals programs, and offer incentives for sourcing food from local sources.
  • Expand Summer EBT across the country to ensure no student goes hungry during the summer.
8. Community Schools
Our public schools can and should be more than just places where children learn – they can be community centers that build the health and well-being of students. We must act to transform our education system into a high-quality public good that connects education, health, and social-services to young people. A strong investment in community school programs can help us achieve that. President Trump has proposed eliminating funding for community school programs. We have a better idea.

• Provide $5 billion in annual funding for community schools to provide a holistic, full-service approach to learning and the wellbeing of our young people.
  • Our schools are a public good. By transforming them into community schools, we can provide:
    • Health and support services including dental care, mental health care, and substance abuse prevention.
    • Community and youth organizing.
    • Community goods and services such as job training classes, art spaces, GED, and ESL classes.
9. School Infrastructure
Schools across urban and rural America are crumbling. A 2014 study found that at least 53 percent of the nation's schools need immediate repair. At least 2.3 million students, mostly in rural communities, attend schools without high-speed internet access. Teachers are paid starvation wages and schools across underserved urban and rural parts of our country are crumbling. Stories abound about heating systems giving out in the winter, ceilings leaking during storms and mold accumulating in plain sight. That is unacceptable and has got to change.

Sanders will:
  • Fully close the gap in school infrastructure funding to renovate, modernize, and green the nation's schools.
10. Make Schools a Safe and Inclusive Place for All
Our schools must be safe for all students. Period. It is disgusting that our children must face the terrifying reality of being at risk of being killed in their own schools, and that school districts must resort to measures like this to try to keep kids safe. We must ensure LGBTQ students can attend school without fear of bullying, and work to substantially reduce suicides.

• Pass the Safe Schools Improvement Act and the Student Non-Discrimination Act into law to protect the rights of LGBTQ students.
  • Protect students from harassment, discrimination, and violence in educational institutions by protecting and enforcing Title IX.
  • Enact comprehensive gun violence prevention laws to end the epidemic of gun violence in this country and in our schools.
  • Ensure that immigrant children and their parents are free from harassment and surveillance at school, regardless of their immigration status.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

More details at the link:

https://berniesanders.com/a-thurgood-marshall-plan-for-public-education/

Just like his Rural America plan, this seems to be pretty comprehensive. Normally I'd make a thread for this, but the last one devolved into petty nonsense and I'd rather not go down that road again.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Public education for all of our children? Another pie in the sky dream that'll never happen, (((Bernard))) Sanders!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It really doesn't help that Al Sharpton is on live TV pushing the idea to white liberals that black people don't like Pete because of inherent homophobia. I don't think that's going to help anything - least of all, Pete's campaign. I hope there's more push-back to that idea before the narrative gains steam.

Sharpton is recognizing that the fact that 90% of black voters vote Dem means that you have a significant chunk of socially conservative voters (basically, the gap between black and Hispanic voting patterns that emerged post civil rights) who are going to be an issue on things like this. They make up a greater % of the demographic relative to other groups because they're voting Dem despite the social conservatism, which just doesn't happen for say, white voters, who vote for the GOP.

There's not need for pushback because he isn't talking about the group as a whole being homophobic, he's recognizing that this is a speedbump within an important Dem demographic because of that asymmetry in party membership patterns. That tweet from that second random guy you linked is both completely missing the point and also not-very-subtly insinuating that Pete is a secret right winger because he's a white guy, which, fucking hell. But the bad take makes more sense once I saw the bow tie in the profile picture. No good political opinions ever come from people who wear bow ties.

Speaking of racial demographic asymmetries - there's very much one on charters.

edit: this clearly got covered a few pages back. I suspect this is primarily boiling down to issues of funding/poverty/racialized class where white people are generally happy with their kid's schools while that's not so much the case for non-white people, who are willing to try bigger structural measures to address systemic issues. (but the biggest problem is of course, the need for more money.)
You can file this under "all young people are idealistic morons about political realities"

2003 was politically toxic in ways we're unlikely to see again in our lifetimes. It is very hard to explain to the kiddies just how awful it was.

Last edited:

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pete was blind to how realpolitik works. He was a young fool. But now he knows. Everyone falls in line eventually.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Mayor Pete Buttigieg speaks in Chicago: "We need to change the channel from the show that we've all been watching. And that's my response to this presidency."

Now this was great.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sharpton is recognizing that the fact that 90% of black voters vote Dem means that you have a significant chunk of socially conservative voters (basically, the gap between black and Hispanic voting patterns that emerged post civil rights) who are going to be an issue on things like this. They make up a greater % of the demographic relative to other groups because they're voting Dem despite the social conservatism, which just doesn't happen for say, white voters, who vote for the GOP.

There's not need for pushback because he isn't talking about the group as a whole being homophobic, he's recognizing that this is a speedbump within an important Dem demographic because of that asymmetry in party membership patterns. That tweet from that second random guy you linked is both completely missing the point and also not-very-subtly insinuating that Pete is a secret right winger because he's a white guy, which, fucking hell. But the bad take makes more sense once I saw the bow tie in the profile picture. No good political opinions ever come from people who wear bow ties.

Speaking of racial demographic asymmetries - there's very much one on charters.

edit: this clearly got covered a few pages back. I suspect this is primarily boiling down to issues of funding/poverty/racialized class where white people are generally happy with their kid's schools while that's not so much the case for non-white people, who are willing to try bigger structural measures to address systemic issues. (but the biggest problem is of course, the need for more money.)

Thanks for this.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Not as much, but you still see it occasionally. I don't much care for the ironic use of it either.

Even though it's mostly used by Jews now as a way of taking it back?

Not looking to argue the point but I'm interested in things like this, where memes are co-opted and then what happens after the campaign to co-opt them fades away. Like, will the OK symbol ever come back once alt-right shitheads get bored and pass on to corrupting something else?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Public education for all of our children? Another pie in the sky dream that'll never happen, (((Bernard))) Sanders!
Insinuating that anyone in this thread calls him Bernard as an expression of anti-Semitism rather than just plain shade is... something. It's kind of like calling the people who jokingly call Ted Cruz "Raphael" anti-Hispanic. I use it because it makes him sound like a goofy, grumpy old man, which he is.

Of course there are people who hate him for being Jewish, but they ain't here.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys have this very interesting tic of ignoring an entire post in favor of zeroing in on small details that allow you to argue about semantics forever. Fascinating.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Even though it's mostly used by Jews now as a way of taking it back?

Not looking to argue the point but I'm interested in things like this, where memes are co-opted and then what happens after the campaign to co-opt them fades away. Like, will the OK symbol ever come back once alt-right shitheads get bored and pass on to corrupting something else?
Yeah, it's fine I suppose, but it's just one of those things where it makes me feel personally icky. Just a hangup I have I guess.

I'm all for taking back awful shit, but it's one of those things where the midpoint between something being taken back completely and being used sincerely is a bit murky, I guess! I'm not trying to silence anyone, though! Keep pushing, I just don't feel comfortable using it personally.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Insinuating that anyone in this thread calls him Bernard as an expression of anti-Semitism rather than just plain shade is... something. It's kind of like calling the people who jokingly call Ted Cruz "Raphael" anti-Hispanic. I use it because it makes him sound like a goofy, grumpy old man, which he is.

Of course there are people who hate him for being Jewish, but they ain't here.

The only appropriate use of those parentheses regarding a Jewish person should be satire/critique of its use. There are many ways to throw shade but an antisemitic symbol isn't one of them.

Jewish people taking the symbol back is a different story.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's fine I suppose, but it's just one of those things where it makes me feel personally icky. Just a hangup I have I guess.

I'm all for taking back awful shit, but it's one of those things where the midpoint between something being taken back completely and being used sincerely is a bit murky, I guess! I'm not trying to silence anyone, though! Keep pushing, I just don't feel comfortable using it personally.
I actually feel the same way about the word "queer." I remember it being used as a slur growing up; I've heard it pejoratively more times than I care to remember.

Other people can use it, but I've never been comfortable.
The only appropriate use of those parentheses regarding a Jewish person should be satire/critique of its use. There are many ways to throw shade but an antisemitic symbol isn't one of them.
You misunderstood. I don't use the parentheses (though I have no issue with Jewish people reclaiming it). A lot of us in this thread call Sanders "Bernard" for the reasons I expressed in my post. His writing an ironically critical post about Sanders - which seems to be mocking the over-the-top way he thinks we talk about him - and putting the name in parentheses implied to me he thinks we're using it anti-Semitically.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about Bronx. I was responding to the poster who said it could be used to throw shade.
...That's not what I said. I said we throw shade at Bernard by calling him Bernard, and it isn't anti-Semitic in nature. Bronx's putting the name in parentheses while mocking the way he thinks we criticize Sanders is implying that we use it anti-Semtically.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You misunderstood. I don't use the parentheses (though I have no issue with Jewish people reclaiming it). A lot of us in this thread call Sanders "Bernard" for the reasons I expressed in my post. His writing a faux-critical post about Sanders - which seems to be mocking the over-the-top way he thinks we talk about him - and putting the name in parentheses implied to me he thinks we're using it anti-Semitically.

Ah, ok, yeah, I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about Bronx. I was responding to the poster who said it could be used to throw shade.
(((Bernard))) reads as insinuating that people who call Bernie "Bernard" are anti-Semitic. I'm not sure it's the actual intent though because the first part of that sentence is going after right-wing talking points and it may be unintentional.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(((Bernard))) reads as insinuating that people who call Bernie "Bernard" are anti-Semitic. I'm not sure it's the actual intent though because the first part of that sentence is going after right-wing talking points and it may be unintentional.
Nah, it's definitely me mocking liberal talking points.

Almost like one can't tell the difference.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Yeah, my problem wasn't with Bronx's post but with auto's response, but now I realize I misunderstood what auto was saying.

Oct 26, 2017
I like Elizabeth Warren, but to the average mildly informed voter at the moment they see her as "Hilary 2.0" or that woman with a "fake" Indian heritage. It seems like she's been able to successfully shake off those misconceptions in the early states she's been campaigning in, but nationally those impressions are still there. If she can't essentially rebrand herself on a national level, I'm worried she could have electability issues on the margins that could be very problematic.

Whereas Harris just seems like she has a higher ceiling once she gets known. She doesn't give any Hilary vibes, she can appeal to African Americans (once they believe she can win), and she's a difficult target for the GOP. There's a reason why Trump doesn't know how to land a punch on Kamala. The best he could come up with was an off-hand "nasty" woman remark in an interview. Her only major weakness at this point is experience and criminal justice past, and it's not like the GOP can attack her on those two things.

My dream ticket is still Harris / Beto or Beto / Harris. It would be an election route and set us up strong going forward into 2022 and 2024 because of the energy. Biden is like Luke Skywalker in the Last Jedi. Biden is just here to win 2020 and once he does, his life force will be used up.

Also 12 months is a looooong time. I doubt Biden will get through 4-5 debates and a billion news cycles without taking a few hits or one of the other candidates having a "moment". Right now, Warren, Harris, Beto, and Sanders have to get in or remain in striking distance, so when the "moment" happens, they can take full advantage.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like Elizabeth Warren, but to the average mildly informed voter at the moment they see her as "Hilary 2.0" or that woman with a "fake" Indian heritage. It seems like she's been able to successfully shake off those misconceptions in the early states she's been campaigning in, but nationally those impressions are still there. If she can't essentially rebrand herself on a national level, I'm worried she could have electability issues on the margins that could be very problematic.

Whereas Harris just seems like she has a higher ceiling once she gets known. She doesn't give any Hilary vibes, she can appeal to African Americans (once they believe she can win), and she's a difficult target for the GOP. There's a reason why Trump doesn't know how to land a punch on Kamala. The best he could come up with was an off-hand "nasty" woman remark in an interview. Her only major weakness at this point is experience and criminal justice past, and it's not like the GOP can attack her on those two things.

My dream ticket is still Harris / Beto or Beto / Harris. It would be an election route and set us up strong going forward into 2022 and 2024 because of the energy. Biden is like Luke Skywalker in the Last Jedi. Biden is just here to win 2020 and once he does, his life force will be used up.

Also 12 months is a looooong time. I doubt Biden will get through 4-5 debates and a billion news cycles without taking a few hits or one of the other candidates having a "moment". Right now, Warren, Harris, Beto, and Sanders have to get in or remain in striking distance, so when the "moment" happens, they can take full advantage.
I like Harris a lot and it must be so disheartening that like 90% of the time she's brought up its in the context of using her as a vice president, sorta like how Warren all ways has fine print that says (too bad she can't win) next to everything she does

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
It's because this is the clique-iest thread on Resetera
If it's that unpleasant, why post? Sure, you could give some glib "because I can" answer, but if we're that inhospitable, that nasty, that antithetical to some people's beliefs... I don't see why you and some of these other yahoos want to come in here. I think you'd want to avoid us. I mean, unless you just actively want to start shit.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's that unpleasant, why post? Sure, you could give some glib "because I can" answer, but if we're that inhospitable, that nasty, that antithetical to some people's beliefs... I don't see why you and some of these other yahoos want to come in here. I think you'd want to avoid us. I mean, unless you just actively want to start shit.

I'm not a yahoo - that's the exact attitude I'm talking about. I don't troll. I come here for the information - which is often great, but responses like this don't engender new participants with a welcoming environment. I just wanted to acknowledge Bronx Man's post.

Anyways, this is a derail and I apologize. I should have kept it to myself.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a yahoo - that's the exact attitude I'm talking about. I don't troll. I come here for the information - which is often great, but responses like this don't engender new participants with a welcoming environment. I just wanted to acknowledge Bronx Man's post.
What kind of response do new participants expect when they don't post about the information or news but instead complain that the thread is a clique?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason some of you feel posts get irgnored is because Poli__ has been going on for ages across 2 forums and a lot of what you bring in has already been discussed before. We aren't ignoring you, some of you are just late to the party. Sorry you feel left out maybe your're better off on the OT?

Status
Not open for further replies.