• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie Sanders foreign policy interview by NYT will go over really well with independents and will give no fodder to spin for republicans

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1129771139029504000?s=21

Bernie is 100% right in that interview but it's also hilarious how grouchy he got since he could tell the reporter was trying to maneuver him into saying something embarassing. "Did you know they were chanting anti-American things?" "Of course they were, we were trying to overthrow them!" lol

Good on Bernie for flat out calling American foreign policy evil.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
I'm slowly coming to accept the conclusion that it is highly likely that Biden will end up the nominee with how his support actually seems to be consolidating. Definitely not voting for him in the primary but god I'm not looking forward to peope saying they arent voting because he is not better than Trump

I've already encountered people who said they'll vote third party if Biden becomes the nominee.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Bernie Sanders foreign policy interview by NYT will go over really well with independents and will give no fodder to spin for republicans

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1129771139029504000?s=21

I'm not always a fan of Bernie's foreign policy but some of these questions lol

Q. In the top of our story, we talk about the rally you attended in Managua and a wire report at the time said that there were anti-American chants from the crowd.

A:The United States at that time — I don't know how much you know about this — was actively supporting the Contras to overthrow the government. So that there's anti-American sentiment? I remember that, I remember that event very clearly.

Q: You do recall hearing those chants? I think the wire report has them saying, "Here, there, everywhere, the Yankee will die."

A: They were fighting against American —— Huh huh —— yes, what is your point?

Q: I wanted to ——

A: Are you shocked to learn that there was anti-American sentiment?

ZOMG They said mean things about the US while they were trying to overthrow their government! :'(

If Bernie were still backing Ortega that would be something worth discussing.

Oct 25, 2017
If there's anything that actually gets me riled up still (rather than somewhat pessimistically expectant) in politics, its our messing about in Central America that has led directly to the refugee crisis that we caused for ourselves and the GOP's total lack of taking responsibility for it, and further than that, their separating of families whose lives they have already destroyed via their shit foreign policy.

So one thing that I will give Bernie (and Beto) credit for is at least speaking to those things right now because someone needs to get out there and spotlight this shit. I know that no one, casual-voter-wise, cares about foreign policy when we are not in a declared war, but still, we need to draw a line between foreign policy in Central America and our current immigration policies right now in a better way than we have.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
"I did everything that I could as a mayor of a small city to stop the United States from getting involved in another war in Central America," though I don't doubt is sincere, is a fairly hilarious statement at face value. I mean, I, too, as a child at the time, did everything I could to make sure the US didn't get involved in any wars back then.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
If there's anything that actually gets me riled up still (rather than somewhat pessimistically expectant) in politics, its our messing about in Central America that has led directly to the refugee crisis that we caused for ourselves and the GOP's total lack of taking responsibility for it, and further than that, their separating of families whose lives they have already destroyed via their shit foreign policy.

So one thing that I will give Bernie (and Beto) credit for is at least speaking to those things right now because someone needs to get out there and spotlight this shit. I know that no one, casual-voter-wise, cares about foreign policy when we are not in a declared war, but still, we need to draw a line between foreign policy in Central America and our current immigration policies right now in a better way than we have.

Does this mean we should prop up autocratic regimes like Ortega's or Maduro's for the sake of stability, though? How far should we go? We could easily funnel money to the asshole running Guatemala and ensure he rules with impunity for stability's sake.

I always wrestle with the question. Removing the drug kingpin (that the US put there) running Panama in '89 was probably the right move for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean we should prop up autocratic regimes like Ortega's or Maduro's for the sake of stability, though? How far should we go? We could easily funnel money to the asshole running Guatemala and ensure he rules with impunity for stability's sake.

I always wrestle with the question. Removing the drug kingpin (that the US put there) running Panama in '89 was probably the right move.

I think we're probably on slightly different wavelengths right now because I'm specifically thinking about how our foreign policy choices post WWII have caused the current immigration needs for that area rather than about what we should do now having already meddled too much in the region.

When I made that post, I was specifically thinking that:

a) We need to be honest with the voters that we fucked up the region with our meddling because of the Domino Theory and to support American corporations like the United Fruit Company and that therefore...

b)...we have caused the immigration from those areas of thousands of people who are good people whose homes that we have destroyed via our meddling, and that any immigration policy that we pursue must include, as a moral necessity, an understanding of this situation and of the desire of these Central American immigrants to live in a stable society.

What that means for how we help bring stability to the region, other than lots of material and financial aid that this country owes the region, you would know the answer to that better than me.

I'm just tired of the framing of these Central American immigrants as some sort of unholy horde who aren't coming here because of what we directly did to their homelands.

Last edited:

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
I think we're probably on slightly different wavelengths right now because I'm specifically thinking about how our foreign policy choices post WWII have caused the current immigration needs for that area rather than about what we should do now having already meddled too much in the region.

When I made that post, I was specifically thinking that:

a) We need to be honest with the voters that we fucked up the region with our meddling because of the Domino Theory and to support American corporations like the United Fruit Company and that therefore...

b)...we have caused the immigration from those areas of thousands of people who are good people whose homes that we have destroyed via our meddling, and that any immigration policy that we pursue must include, as a moral necessity, an understanding of this situation and of the desire of these Central American immigrants to live in a stable society.

What that means for how we help bring stability to the region, other than lots of material and financial aid that this country owes the region, you would know the answer to that better than me.

I'm just tired of the framing of these Central American immigrants as some sort of unholy horde who aren't coming here because of what we directly did to their homelands.

Fair enough. It's indeed disgusting that few people are willing to acknowledge what was done to their countries.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
remember when people thought Bernie attending a event where people were chanting "Death to the yankees" would hurt him in a GE

judging by his response, lol. he's botched a lot of interviews recently but I'm glad he stood his ground without giving the media any sound bites

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You could probably stack a cabinet pretty well just with presidential candidates, really. Inslee to EPA, Bullock to Interior, O'Rourke to DHS.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Inslee is great. He said he was a 55k donations last week, so hopefully he can hit 65k to meet both metrics before the debates.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They see a no-name climate kook. I'm sure if this climate policy gets continued press coverage, people will pay attention more. But he isn't very charismatic from what I saw today on MSNBC, so the fact that he's running for President may distract from his message and only appeal to people playing inside baseball.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Inslee is at below 30% name recognition in some polls.

Nobody knows who the hell he is.

Also in Monmouth's last NH poll, climate change and the environment was the #2 listed top issue after health care.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Inslee is at below 30% name recognition in some polls.

Nobody knows who the hell he is.

Also in Monmouth's last NH poll, climate change and the environment was the #2 listed top issue after health care.
Exactly.

I feel like he's someone to watch after the debates. There's sort of been a huge movement towards green politics worldwide -- I wouldn't be surprised if Inslee caught on. Not saying he will or it's likely, but if he did, you know, it would line up well with issue polling.

Status
Not open for further replies.