• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'd be shocked if there are voters out there that wouldn't have voted Trump but decided to because of those darn Democrats impeaching him. They were going to vote anyway. Democrats, on the other hand, risk dampening their base -- and independents -- by not impeaching. There isn't a downside electorally here. The people that would vote Trump are already going to vote Trump. As for Garland, there was nothing Democrats could do -- but not letting it slide because 2016 was in the bag would've been a good start. Republicans won that round, and they are winning this round. Do we really want to leave 2020 to chance?

Prepare to be shocked. The Left aren't the base, and they're at risk regardless of which choice Pelosi makes, either will be seen as weak. Sure there is. There was nothing they could to not "let it slide" with Garland, with him it's over. There's no going back, including had Hillary won. The GOP are good at winning because they have many advantages, which many people forget the Dems don't have. Hence, not impeaching Trump.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that do we waste energy on this when, materially, it will accomplish nothing. Is the signalling value translateable to material gains?

The thing that demoralizes us is that Democrats don't act like Republicans, just come out swinging and plow everything over in their way, or try to (often failing due only to their own shortsighted greed or how they're rapidly becoming a kakistocracy of sorts where only the objectively-worst among them seem to prosper). It's the emotional trap that the GOP uses to keep their base coming back for more. Their base wants politics to be the WWE, cheering on the guy swinging the chair into his foe's head, except that they also wish the chair would be real and that real damage would be done (and often the GOP goes along with that wish too).

Part of being better than them is focusing on outcomes. The GOP is too far gone to be reasoned with. This isn't fine but it is what it is. The end goal should be to vote them out at every level and in every fashion. Your energy, then, shouldn't be focused on flashy gotcha moments or even necessarily on moral-victories like impeachment unless you feel that those can legitimately serve that end goal.

Most of the Democratic base isn't us or the very-online people (not just talking rose twitter here, but all of left-poli-twitter in the US context) who see every little outrage every day and want someone to pay for it. Most of the base just wants a government that works for them and helps instead of hurts. That's what motivates them. To that end impeachment could potentially be a bad thing, because to people of conscience a vanity impeachment just looks like more Washington mudslinging.

If removal from office was an actual option here, that calculus would be way different, but as it stands it would just be more Hill drama which is not what Dem-leaning voters care about.

I would call tens of millions of dollars worth of free air time in the middle of an election cycle a concrete material gain.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The issue is that do we waste energy on this when, materially, it will accomplish nothing. Is the signalling value translateable to material gains?

The thing that demoralizes us is that Democrats don't act like Republicans, just come out swinging and plow everything over in their way, or try to (often failing due only to their own shortsighted greed or how they're rapidly becoming a kakistocracy of sorts where only the objectively-worst among them seem to prosper). It's the emotional trap that the GOP uses to keep their base coming back for more. Their base wants politics to be the WWE, cheering on the guy swinging the chair into his foe's head, except that they also wish the chair would be real and that real damage would be done (and often the GOP goes along with that wish too).

Part of being better than them is focusing on outcomes. The GOP is too far gone to be reasoned with. This isn't fine but it is what it is. The end goal should be to vote them out at every level and in every fashion. Your energy, then, shouldn't be focused on flashy gotcha moments or even necessarily on moral-victories like impeachment unless you feel that those can legitimately serve that end goal.

Most of the Democratic base isn't us or the very-online people (not just talking rose twitter here, but all of left-poli-twitter in the US context) who see every little outrage every day and want someone to pay for it. Most of the base just wants a government that works for them and helps instead of hurts. That's what motivates them. To that end impeachment could potentially be a bad thing, because to people of conscience a vanity impeachment just looks like more Washington mudslinging.

If removal from office was an actual option here, that calculus would be way different, but as it stands it would just be more Hill drama which is not what Dem-leaning voters care about.

For now, yes. But the aftermath of the Mueller report merely simmers since its true reveal; the desperate stonewalling the other half of why that is happening.

We get this front and center, that changes. It's not a vanity impeachment and once it and the stonewalling and lying is shown, it'll be easier.

The question is: when does the Big Guns of fines, garnished wages, and getting thrown into the pokey start? After the courts repeat Watergate timeline?

"Most effective and ethical lawyer of the year award" omg

Wagon-circling has gotten more brazen lately...

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For all the concern over imaginary people who might see it as unnecessary mudslinging, what about all the people you completely turn off by not doing anything?

I'm getting there myself. It's getting closer to the realization I'm better off just not giving a fuck.

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why they'd do this after a Fox News town hall and not a CNN town hall.
Because they have the audience in front of them already. Half the point of these is to legitimize themselves, the other half is to paint the candidates as liars afterward.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

People shout "Bernie" as @SenSanders walks into the church.

A church in the south, predominately filled with people of color chanting "Bernie!" is not something you see very often.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Frankly, I think impeachment is necessary to assure total victory in 2020.

What we're looking at now is something like Biden cruising to an easy, feel-good win over Trump in some key swing states that gives certain, less politically inclined voters to wipe their forehead and stop paying attention once things are back to "normal."

The fact that Trump is president is anything but normal. So is the reckless degree to which he's cheated the law to get there, is currently doing so now, and that the Republican Party seems to be operating solely to give him cover.

What Democrats need to do is convince the country that his actions demand impeachment. And when McConnell and co. let him off the hook, drive that narrative hard - they failed to do their jobs. They are part of the problem. They should be removed from office by the most convenient means necessary. Hey, isn't there an election right around the corner?

I could very well be wrong, of course.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

What we're looking at now is something like Biden cruising to an easy, feel-good win over Trump in some key swing states that gives certain, less politically inclined voters to wipe their forehead and stop paying attention once things are back to "normal."

The fact that Trump is president is anything but normal. So is the reckless degree to which he's cheated the law to get there, is currently doing so now, and that the Republican Party seems to be operating solely to give him cover.

What Democrats need to do is convince the country that his actions demand impeachment. And when McConnell and co. let him off the hook, drive that narrative hard - they failed to do their jobs. They are part of the problem. They should be removed from office by the most convenient means necessary. Hey, isn't there an election right around the corner?

The thing is, if you're wrong, we're screwed anyway because it basically means the country is un-savable.

I don't really understand why they'd do this after a Fox News town hall and not a CNN town hall.
I think it makes a difference when the clips they play are from their own network. Legitimizes them, reinforces idea that they're the only channel their viewers need, etc.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, if you're wrong, we're screwed anyway because it basically means the country is un-savable.

I think it makes a difference when the clips they play are from their own network. Legitimizes them, reinforces idea that they're the only channel their viewers need, etc.
The country on it';s current course IS unsavable.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

I have a dark feeling that they're gonna do that no matter what. As if once Trump is gone, unicorns are gonna start appearing and good times will continue to happen. Then complacency rears its ugly head once again...

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I have a dark feeling that they're gonna do that no matter what. As if once Trump is gone, unicorns are gonna start appearing and good times will continue to happen. Then complacency rears its ugly head once again...
Yup. It is absolutely my biggest fear after 2020, no matter what happens. And damned if I'm not going to shut up about it if it comes to that. 2018 needs to be the norm.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This will always happen so long as the Democratic Party isn't interested in radicalizing its supporters.

(vote for Bernie)

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really shouldn't need to be said at this point. I don't think anybody participating in this discussion is under any delusion that a Republican Senate would ever impeach Donald Trump. I don't understand why this keeps coming back to that. The people who want to see Trump impeached know that this will die in the Senate. This is news to absolutely nobody. What we want is the 2020 energy that would come not just from the desire to see Trump voted out of office, but from the real gut feeling that we're fighting on the behalf of the party that will stick its neck out to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. That will prove their rhetoric on the sanctity of American institutions and governance. Not cowards, pitiless number crunchers and reactionaries who we have to prop up because the alternative is worse. I want to go out on the field and say STAND FOR DEMOCRATS BECAUSE WE'LL STAND FOR YOU. Not STAND FOR DEMOCRATS BECAUSE...hold on, let me check the latest polls.

The even bigger irony here is that Democratic leadership is refusing to pursue Impeachment because it won't survive the Senate in favor of...pursuing legislation that also won't survive the Senate. If they won't do this then all of that is meaningless. Might as well just sit back, block bills, eat more fried chicken, and pray 2020 goes our way.

This... is a really good take. I like it! Not everything is political expediency. Trump has done ghastly things for which he should be impeached. So even if it'll die in the Senate, impeach him! Force the issue.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The idea that the USA, and hence the world, can be saved by allowing a Mad King via deserting oversight in lieu of political strategizing to win the 2020 POTUS election will be possibly considered the hottest take in Western Civilization someday.

And it's not just Nancy that believes this. It's every stan.

Everyone get their fiddles out.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The idea that the USA, and hence the world, can be saved by allowing a Mad King via deserting oversight in lieu of political strategizing to win the 2020 POTUS election will be possibly considered the hottest take in Western Civilization someday.

And it's not just Nancy that believes this. It's every stan.

Everyone get their fiddles out.

This implied had they tried to impeach Trump they'd have gotten him thrown out.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017

I agree. We're not just fighting over who has control in 2020 - though that's important - we're also fighting over what the Trump legacy is. I think in order for the Republic to be safe, the Trump presidency has to turn into an "anti-precedent."

Anti-precedential cases come from Supreme Court decisions that are so widely considered to have been decided incorrectly that citing the case as precedent actually makes people less likely to believe that it should be the law of the land. The Dred Scott Decision is one example; many others are actually technically good law. Koremasu, the case that allowed for the interment of Japanese Americans, is one such case, despite never having been formally overturned by the court, as is Buck V. Bell, the case that legalized eugenics programs with Oliver Wendell Holmes writing "Three Generations of Imbeciles are enough."

I think this kind of applies to presidencies, too. There's presidents where when someone says a president did such and such a thing, it's taken to mean "well, things didn't go to shit that time, so it can't be too crazy a policy." And there are some presidents where a tactic simply being associated with the president makes everyone's hairs stand on end. W. Bush was widely loathed in the last terms of his office, facing lower approval ratings than even Nixon did, but he never got tarred with the "absolute failure" brush hard enough for "Bush did X thing" to mean "you absolutely can't do that," as opposed to "How bad could it be?" Nixon is the most obvious anti-precedential president, where "Nixonian" is a term of abuse and where "well, Nixon did X" is taken as a good reason not to do X.

We need Trump's legacy to be Nixon's, not Bush's.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
We need Trump's legacy to be Nixon's, not Bush's.

Agreed. However, the political atmosphere is more akin to Bush's than Nixon's. This is by design, it's why Fox News was made and why the GOP have spent so much time and money with their propaganda efforts and indoctrination methods. With Nixon the GOP were about to throw him out of office, it's much harder to get in that position today.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm assuming we're not gunna see McGahn show up tomorrow
Its going to be interesting. Nadler's response to the statement that he would not be there was complete and thorough on how wrong the DOJ was and that his compliance was not optional. How long McGahn wants to hold out is the question. DOJ basically quoted itself as a defense for their position even though Courts have already said the DOJ was wrong and had no basis

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. It is absolutely my biggest fear after 2020, no matter what happens. And damned if I'm not going to shut up about it if it comes to that. 2018 needs to be the norm.

Oh, I would love if 2018's momentum was constantly activated.

This will always happen so long as the Democratic Party isn't interested in radicalizing its supporters.

(vote for Bernie)

If he becomes the nominee, maybe. ^_^

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Today I met Pamela Rush in Tyler, Alabama. Her daughter has trouble breathing at night because of mold in their home and there is sewage runoff in her backyard. Pamela is not alone. This is the reality for millions of Americans, but you don't hear that in Congress or on TV.

I really appreciate him using his platform to highlight important issues affecting distressed communities that the media clearly has no interest in covering. This is something he has been doing since he was elected Mayor of Burlington and it's great to see that he still hasn't lost that perspective.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

(vote for Bernie)

What's radicalisation here? Because there's a million different interest groups under the Democratic banner and you can't unite them on singular cultural issues quite like the Republicans can with abortion, which certainly helps with the radicalization part.

Tom Cotton 2028

:'(

Oct 26, 2017
It really shouldn't need to be said at this point. I don't think anybody participating in this discussion is under any delusion that a Republican Senate would ever impeach Donald Trump. I don't understand why this keeps coming back to that. The people who want to see Trump impeached know that this will die in the Senate. This is news to absolutely nobody. What we want is the 2020 energy that would come not just from the desire to see Trump voted out of office, but from the real gut feeling that we're fighting on the behalf of the party that will stick its neck out to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. That will prove their rhetoric on the sanctity of American institutions and governance. Not cowards, pitiless number crunchers and reactionaries who we have to prop up because the alternative is worse. I want to go out on the field and say STAND FOR DEMOCRATS BECAUSE WE'LL STAND FOR YOU. Not STAND FOR DEMOCRATS BECAUSE...hold on, let me check the latest polls.

The even bigger irony here is that Democratic leadership is refusing to pursue Impeachment because it won't survive the Senate in favor of...pursuing legislation that also won't survive the Senate. If they won't do this then all of that is meaningless. Might as well just sit back, block bills, eat more fried chicken, and pray 2020 goes our way.

giphy.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

A month or so ago, I was for the cautious approach. But after reading the Mueller Report and then the complete stone-walling of information and witnesses by the WH/DoJ, and the latest revelations from Michael Flynn filings and Michael Cohen testimony on Obstruction of Justice, Democrats have to AT LEAST start an impeachment inquiry. There is strong evidence of clear crimes and the WH is acting completely lawless right now. This isn't the time for DEMs to make decisions based on 538 polls. It's now about exercising real oversight and accountability even if the public isn't there yet. As you said, if Democrats can't take a stand when it's tough even though they have the moral and legal high ground, how are we suppose to trust them to institute bold climate change or healthcare policies???

I mean Pelosi can't even give a legitimate reason for not beginning impeachment proceedings. She's basically giving veto power to 538 polls and the GOP on oversight. If the polls don't look great and if the GOP isn't onboard, then "oh well". Just let the administration keep being lawless and systematically defy Congress on every level. Just lie back and Think of England.

I know Pelosi and a lot of the DEM leadership have PTSD of 2010 when GOP razed the DEM majority to the ground in the midterms. Yes the DEM majority is a bit fragile this time, but Trump is extremely unpopular. If they move quickly on impeachment, they can get it off the books before the primaries begin. More importantly this isn't a witch hunt, there are serious issues and so far they've been able to be obscured because the majority of the public hasn't read the Report and they're just going off Barr/Trump spin. If we get to the point of putting articles of impeachment on paper (I nominate Amash to author it), then it will be extremely difficult to spin away especially to 55-60% of the public. If the Senate doesn't want to convict Trump, then that's on them. But at least Trump's legacy will be tarnished, which is extremely important in making sure Trumpism is disgraced and short-circuited. Impeaching Trump even without a conviction is way to prevent having another Trump/Sarah Sanders in 4-8 years from now. We have to make blatant corruption, lying, and lawlessness have consequences, otherwise Republicans will just learn they can just keep doing those things as long as they stonewall. Imagine Child Separation, Hurricane Maria Response, Denial of Asylum and times it by 10. This WH administration is using the DoJ as their own in-house legislative body and just making up their own rules.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I wish this was stressed more. They don't get to sit there and do jack shit in light of what has happened, regardless of the likelihood of conviction. Imagine if we stopped making white cops appear in court after bad shootings because we were convinced that the jury would be too biased to convict them.
Exactly

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Pelosi's hesitation on impeachment is down to the hesitation of her swing district caucus, that seems to be Pelosi's number one priority.

I'm not saying it's right, but the game needs to be played out I'm afraid.

Time is running out though. She can't wait for the SC to decide these cases.

Oct 26, 2017
Morning Joe also on the Anti-Impeachment brigade. Same reasoning, if there's no conviction in the Senate, there's no point.

I don't buy the argument that Trump really wants to be impeached. Otherwise why would he stonewall every single witness and piece of evidence? Trump also often remarks, "Why would you want to Impeach your FAVORITE President??? The economy is so great!" Clearly Trump doesn't want to be impeached. He's just inoculating himself by claiming DEMs are on a witch hunt in case things get real.

I think the distinction is if Trump is going to be impeached, he wants it to be appear as partisan as possible. But that doesn't mean he wants to be impeached. Again, Democrats are so afraid of their own shadow, they can't properly message or strategize.

Oct 26, 2017
Morning Joe also on the Anti-Impeachment brigade. Same reasoning, if there's no conviction in the Senate, there's no point.

I don't buy the argument that Trump really wants to be impeached. Otherwise why would he stonewall every single witness and piece of evidence? Trump also often remarks, "Why would you want to Impeach your FAVORITE President??? The economy is so great!" Clearly Trump doesn't want to be impeached. He's just inoculating himself by claiming DEMs are on a witch hunt in case things get real.

I think the distinction is if Trump is going to be impeached, he wants it to be appear as partisan as possible. But that doesn't mean he wants to be impeached. Again, Democrats are so afraid of their own shadow, they can't properly message or strategize.
Because.

Trump wanted to be the victim, and he'll never giggling shit up about it. Unless he ends up convicted then ended up in prison

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

I don't think that's the argument, or is that Scarborough's? Dem leadership isn't worried about what Trump thinks about impeachment, it's about their constituents and congress itself.

Messaging is a lot easier to do when a party has access to the GOP's network and community system, the Dems don't have anything near it in complexity or depth. This is all about strategy, and they don't want to end up with the worst outcome.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy... ONE republican gets out of line and it is breaking news. Meanwhile democrats couldn't get on the same page if they wanted to. You see it play out at the committee hearings all of the time.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

We are now at the point where we must begin an impeachment inquiry. I don't say that lightly. We've taken every step we can w/subpoenas and witnesses. Trump obstructs everything. A president who thinks he's king, accountable to nobody & ,above the law is absolutely unacceptable.

Glad to see more reps speaking out.

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy... ONE republican gets out of line and it is breaking news. Meanwhile democrats couldn't get on the same page if they wanted to. You see it play out at the committee hearings all of the time.
Because, wherevtyere is one, there is more. And the game of Jenga that is the Republican party, if a certain set of em falls out of line it'll make the party fall in dissarray.

Status
Not open for further replies.