• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I really don't understand the people who say "A war with Iran will guarantee Trump 2020"

Like, the global economy at best would enter into a recession, at worst it would cause an oil crisis as prices spike to catastrophic levels if Iran decides to scorch Earth the region and make oil production grind to a halt and make it impossible to export.

That's not even going into the actual war part that would have zero credible back up to why we invaded Iran with US sailors floating in the ocean and body bags coming home by the hundreds within the first month or so.

I can't think of a more catastrophic blunder than a war with Iran, both for Trump and the US at large.

I know some people really enjoy wallowing in defeatism, but maybe use that critical thinking thing you constantly laugh at republicans/conservatives for not having?

It's simple, the people who claim that are dumb.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
My very amateur prediction for 2020 is that Trump is going to maintain most, if not all of his voters, he'll get 62ish million votes again (I'm basing this off their fairly high voter turnout in the mid terms, which was overshadowed by democrats insane turnout), it will come down to how effectively republicans can suppress votes in the key swing states.

But again, the mid terms were very promising and give good reason for optimism.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It is until it isn't. That's the problem with nuclear proliferation or "law-abiding gun owners." Maybe Kim Jong-un has a really bad day, one day. Maybe Trump finds out he's boned from NY state charges that he can't lean on to get rid of and decides to take everything else with him.
The reason North Korea has nuclear weapons is the same reason they won't use them: self-preservation.

The danger comes if the government was ever deposed. Then who knows where those weapons would end up.

Trump is far more dangerous in this regard.

It's simple, the people who claim that are dumb.
There are ways it could bolster support of the current administration.

It just seems really unlikely (though I think it's even more unlikely there would be a war at all—if it's not in Putin's interests, it's not going to happen).

Last edited:

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Beto O'Rourke refuses to apologize for opposing war with Iran:

It's a good thing Bernie's outspoken; I'm just not sure who asked Sanders to apologize for something so obvious.

Is it just me, or is that interview camera/angle really weird? There was some strange shadows going on in the background that made the shot feel weird.

Here's a video of an alt right douche getting humiliated I found

How did he get a hold of the sign? I need more backstory.

Also if Swamp man Joe catches on, Biden should just wear this for Halloween...

swamp-thing-derek-mears-2.jpg

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The alt-right has discovered the scene in Captain Marvel where she steals a guy's motorcycle and they are OUTRAGED.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Can someone explain this he-tries-to-make-it-sound-dramatic-but-it-sounds-like-no-big-deal-at-all Sanders foreign policy thing lately? Like, opposing hostile foreign overthrowings and needless wars isn't a particularly bold stance. It fits into the common sense category, unless he was somehow the only person in the field making a specific statement. The bit about fighting to oppose government takeovers while a small town mayor was exceptionally weird.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain this he-tries-to-make-it-sound-dramatic-but-it-sounds-like-no-big-deal-at-all Sanders foreign policy thing lately? Like, opposing hostile foreign overthrowings and needless wars isn't a particularly bold stance. It fits into the common sense category, unless he was somehow the only person in the field making a specific statement. The bit about fighting to oppose government takeovers while a small town mayor was exceptionally weird.

It's pretty much in response to a.) the 80s videos showing him in the USSR b.) that interviewer who kept trying to get him to apologize for being at a Sandinista rally. Bernie's playing up that he's been right all along about American foreign policy and he won't bow to pressure.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or is that interview camera/angle really weird? There was some strange shadows going on in the background that made the shot feel weird.

How did he get a hold of the sign? I need more backstory.

Also if Swamp man Joe catches on, Biden should just wear this for Halloween...

swamp-thing-derek-mears-2.jpg
A Swampman costume + a Bidan mask would be a good Halloween costume.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It is 100% not a mainstream political view in the United States power circles.

Clinton and Biden supported for the Iraq War. Opposition to the Vietnam War was a fringe cause up until the draft and even then opposition to the war was a leftist protest out of step with the silent majority. It was a bi-partisan scar on this country. And the coup in Chile which Bernie is being grouped in with the opposition and supporters of Allende was a national disgrace which was not scorned in this country outside of folk musicians and underground anti-war activists like Jerry Rubin and Phil Ochs.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Sanders has a long history of being in staunch opposition to war even when everyone else disagreed; he is now using the evidence of his foresight to tell people that they should listen to him this time.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I don't think "normal means" will work.

But the idea that we need authoritarianism to save us from our slide into authoritarianism is somewhere between incoherent and naive. There are no benevolent dictators. Our problems are societal / cultural. Replacing our government with a quasi-fascist state that performs forced relocations won't save us from fascism or fix our issues.
Hell, his reasoning is exactly the same as the crazy conservatives that want Authoritarianism. Remember, Conservatives believe that they're right, just as you do. If you come to the same Authoritarian conclusions as Right-Wingers, you're the same as them.; you just have a different set of cultural norms. Otherwise, it's all the same though process. I wonder if this guy is a troll?

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I totally get it, it just gets frustrating when people act like there's no point and that Trump is always going to win etc etc

Like yeah, it's a fucked up situation, but it also discounts the very real facts that his first win required several flukes to even happen, his party has done nothing but lose seats since and his approval ratings are in the toilet. We've got a real shot at beating him next year with really any of our major candidates.

I have a buddy who every once in a while will fall into one of these funks when we're talking about politics and suddenly turn to "who cares, the Russians will hack the election results anyway," and it's like... Ok? So what's the game plan in response to that? Same with the people who are like "Trump won't leave when he loses, he'll stick around and there's nothing we can do about it," like motherfucker I will be taking up arms and taking it to the streets if something like that happened. Don't sit here and act like you are powerless.
It's because they legitimately don't care and are lazy at best, or at worst kinda like it. It's just weak, off-the-hip, rationalization so they don't have to say or think: "I really don't care."

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's pretty much in response to a.) the 80s videos showing him in the USSR b.) that interviewer who kept trying to get him to apologize for being at a Sandinista rally. Bernie's playing up that he's been right all along about American foreign policy and he won't bow to pressure.

It's not good to stan for murderous dictatorships, Bolshevik or not. That said, his lack of apologies for opposing unjust American wars is definitely appealing to me right now. We need a radical rethink of our foreign policy to stop catering almost exclusively to the wealthy and powerful outside of a few things (like nuclear non-proliferation and humanitarian interventions).

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not good to stan for murderous dictatorships, Bolshevik or not. That said, his lack of apologies for opposing unjust American wars is definitely appealing to me right now. We need a radical rethink of our foreign policy to stop catering almost exclusively to the wealthy and powerful outside of a few things (like nuclear non-proliferation and humanitarian interventions).

He was in the USSR on a diplomatic trip, it's not like he came back wearing a Stalin shirt.

Oct 26, 2017
I think he might finally be having that stroke.

What did this say? It's been deleted.

I also don't understand who would think it would be a good idea to try to rally the public around Kim Jong Un, a totalitarian despot, over a mainstream American politician. And this is literally as Kim is violating UN security resolutions on missile tests not to mention all the heinous actions he's committed. I'm curious if GOP Senators will fall in line with this Trumpian attack as well.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
What did this say? It's been deleted.

I also don't understand who would think it would be a good idea to try to rally the public around Kim Jong Un, a totalitarian despot, over a mainstream American politician. And this is literally as Kim is violating UN security resolutions on missile tests not to mention all the heinous actions he's committed. I'm curious if GOP Senators will fall in line with this Trumpian attack as well.

Kim Jung Un loves his people unlike CreepyJoe who left Pennsylvania.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I love how he only deletes stuff when he misspells something, although the mispellings always occur in the absolute worst of his tweets, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.