• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
There really hasn't been the far right march many were expecting. They marginally improved in a couple of places and in some did worse (Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark).

Greens doing well across the board was the real surprise.

It really seems like it's going to be their turn in Europe next, although the far-right's "turn" was largely skipped over outside of Italy and Austria, somewhat Denmark and Norway.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hello all

4 years ago I made a game on the other site on who would become the 2016 Republican Nominee for President of the United States. Some of you guys might remember it and participated in it. It was played exactly 6 months from the primary. This year I am doing it again but instead of the Republicans its the Democrats turn.

The game is simple. Guess who will ultimately become the 2020 Democratic Nominee for President of the United States. In other words when the delegates are all counted in July 2020 who will be on that podium accepting the nomination?

This year there will be an added Vice Presidential slot you will also be voting on. You will also have a Bonus option of who you want to become the nominee.

Voting will open June 1st 2019 and last till August 1 2019 6 months before the Iowa Caucuses. You have an extra month this year and it starts earlier since the debates start earlier this year than last cycle.

I will have the link available this Friday.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The more I've been noodling over it the more I like it, really. I don't think Biden would make a good president, but he did great as Obama's VP. If he wants to spend the next 4-8 years canoodling with senators (especially those of the opposite party), that's the perfect job for him.

If Biden is the head of the ticket I'd rather he choose Abrams as VP though.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden/Harris.

Biden serves 4 years. Then Harris takes the top of the ticket, and she gets some young gun.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
"I may dislike large corporations, but they are the only place I can find in all of South Burlington that still sells those 'D-V-Ds' of I Love Lucy."

I just refreshed this page and saw this. Just gotta say, SB now has a Target and has had a lot of commercial space. Our Walmart is in Williston (we also have one in Saint Albans but that's 45 minutes away via i89) and looks like the set of a Mad Max movie 11/12 months of the year.

Biden/Harris.

Biden serves 4 years. Then Harris takes the top of the ticket, and she gets some young gun.

Yuck...

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Shalala will have been in the Senate two years after beating Rubio by then, so she'll be ready.
Symbolically, I think the first female president of the US should have a male subordinate.

Second term should just be all women (it'll never happen, but lord am I over straight white men being in charge of anything).

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the Lawfare lawyers were saying that it is well established in constitutional law that the inherent contempt avenue of contempt proceedings is a power of Congress that is not subject to judicial review. Under that power, yes, the House would send the sergeant at arms to arrest, say, Hope Hicks. That is what they did to that Hoover official back in the 20s. Granted, he was only held for a few days in the Willard Hotel instead of in a proper jail. I'm more interested in the process for how they might fine people using inherent contempt, though. If anyone knows anything about that, please post it.
Democrats certainly have the constitutional and jurisprudence arguments in their favour, but jailing or fining anyone who worked in the administration would be challenged all the way up to the Supreme Court. I cannot envision compliance until the Supreme Court has the final say and jailing people, while morally correct, is politically very complicated (given that multiple people have failed to comply, are you going to jail some over others? If you jail one and others continue to not comply, what makes you think they'll comply given that this administration will push the case all the way to the Supreme Court?).

Starting impeachment proceedings (inquiry) makes far more sense and this issue of ignoring subpoenas should definitely be one of the articles of impeachment, given the systematic behaviour of stonewalling Congress

Regarding fines, I believe the responsibility of enforcement belongs to the DOJ after referral from Congress

Reading this might help: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45653.pdf

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I will be voting for her in the primary, most likely. I think Harris will land somewhere on the ticket and will support her enthusiastically, but Warren has been killing it with the policy, the empathy, and the passion.

Warren has my vote. She's got Hillary's level of detailed policy with Bernie's pro-working class values. She's gonna be at least Top 3 and I think once the debates start happening she's going to pull ahead.

Oct 26, 2017
I just refreshed this page and saw this. Just gotta say, SB now has a Target and has had a lot of commercial space. Our Walmart is in Williston (we also have one in Saint Albans but that's 45 minutes away via i89) and looks like the set of a Mad Max movie 11/12 months of the year.
Oh was that in Williston? Never went there when I was at UVM, always figured it was in SB.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Warren has my vote. She's got Hillary's level of detailed policy with Bernie's pro-working class values. She's gonna be at least Top 3 and I think once the debates start happening she's going to pull ahead.
I like Warren. I care too much about this election though to pretend that the country is not sexist to vote for Trump again.
Beto is my hope, Harris is my ideal and Biden is my pragmatic choices.

I find Warren incredibly impressive.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Dude just keeps revealing more and more deplorable facets, dont he?

Well enforcement of Congressional subpoenas is contingent on the judicial branch and based on what we've seen it'll 1) take a while before the SC decides and 2) depend on specifics on the subpoena (Executive privilege, some privacy issue, Founding Fathers thought process, etc).
So no I don't think Dems have been soft simply because it'll be the judicial branch that'll enforce any punishment for not complying with a subpoena and Dems do have to let things play out. No matter how one sided the legal arguments may be this fight was always going to the Supreme Court.

None of this justifies what the NYT (and Maggie Haberman) did (and you pointed it out) which is pretend some loyalty is legally or morally enough to break the law and why she decided to frame it like that shows we're getting a repeat of 2016.

The belief I had that liberal people like her in newsmedia are dullard useful idiots has been tested incredibly hard in the wake of the Mueller Report dropping.

Weird they didn't have this for Obama

Obama wasn't a fellow vassal.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm not going to make a call until I see how perception shifts around Biden after the debates. Those poll numbers are commanding and are giving me pause from my long-confident belief that he and Bernie will flame out (although other numbers reinforce my belief that Bernie *will* flame out. He's not as commanding over the rest of the pack that Warren or Harris can't steal his heat).

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I will be voting for her in the primary, most likely. I think Harris will land somewhere on the ticket and will support her enthusiastically, but Warren has been killing it with the policy, the empathy, and the passion.

She's my #1 for sure right now. My only concern is how she does that the debates. I want to see a strong showing from her.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hillary literally said in plain English what Trump would do in office during the debates but no one cared.
Here was his claim btw, in 2016. And I see Klobachar was saying she sat next to McCain at the inauguration and he was reciting names of dictators.

DT: We're a debtor nation. We've got to get rid of — I talked about bubble. We've got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt.

BW: How long would that take?

DT: I think I could do it fairly quickly, because of the fact the numbers . . . .

BW: What's fairly quickly?

DT: Well, I would say over a period of eight years. And I'll tell you why.

BW: Would you ever be open to tax increases as part of that, to solve the problem?

DT: I don't think I'll need to. The power is trade. Our deals are so bad.

BW: That would be $2 trillion a year.

DT: No, but I'm renegotiating all of our deals, Bob. The big trade deals that we're doing so badly on. With China, $505 billion this year in trade. We're losing with everybody.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hillary literally said in plain English what Trump would do in office during the debates but no one cared.
Delusion is a powerful drug.

Here you had Donald Trump, that funny TV guy telling us we could gorge ourselves on cold McDonald's, pizza and ice cream (three scoops!) and suddenly all the coal jobs would come back, the national debt would be gone, healthcare would be better and cheaper than ever and we'd finally be rid of all them pesky Muslins and immeygants.

On the opposite side was shrill bitch Hillary Clinton telling us improving things was going to take a lot of work and to shut up and eat your damn vegetables.

Further harming her cause was that in her own primary she was up against a guy who was basically doing the same thing as Trump - political revolution is easy! Don't worry kids, we'll have free healthcare, college and weed, once I get elected we'll just march on McConnell's office and he'll be forced to pass it all. And if the Supreme Court rules any of it unconstitutional, who cares? We'll call the Supreme Court hotline. Easy peasy, also I am going to endorse like three candidates for House and pretend that's good enough to win a majority.

Ironically, despite the countless accusations that the contests were rigged by the establishment for Hillary Clinton, her victory over Bernie Sanders seemed less impressive due to his overperformance in caucus states (because the most democratic way of electing our representatives is by huddling in a room so college bros can yell at the middle-aged party activists for half an hour), and her victory over Donald Trump... well, you all know that story.

Remember though, it's Hillary's fault she lost and no one else's, but it's also Hillary's fault Bernie lost.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Further harming her cause was that in her own primary she was up against a guy who was basically doing the same thing as Trump - political revolution is easy! Don't worry kids, we'll have free healthcare, college and weed, once I get elected we'll just march on McConnell's office and he'll be forced to pass it all. And if the Supreme Court rules any of it unconstitutional, who cares? We'll call the Supreme Court hotline. Easy peasy, also I am going to endorse like three candidates for House and pretend that's good enough to win a majority.

Is there anything concrete to show that Bernie is aware of how naive he used to be, and has changed his ways? Because if not, it seems like Bernie and Biden are flip-sides of the same coin - Bernie thinks a left-wing revolution will be piss-easy when he takes office, and Biden thinks the GOP will be fine crossing the aisle for Dem legislation of any sort.

Edit: Also, Hillary's loss still makes me so fucking god damn mad. :(

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Delusion is a powerful drug.

Here you had Donald Trump, that funny TV guy telling us we could gorge ourselves on cold McDonald's, pizza and ice cream (three scoops!) and suddenly all the coal jobs would come back, the national debt would be gone, healthcare would be better and cheaper than ever and we'd finally be rid of all them pesky Muslins and immeygants.

On the opposite side was shrill bitch Hillary Clinton telling us improving things was going to take a lot of work and to shut up and eat your damn vegetables.

Ironically, despite the countless accusations that the contests were rigged by the establishment for Hillary Clinton, her victory over Bernie Sanders seemed less impressive due to his overperformance in caucus states (because the most democratic way of electing our representatives is by huddling in a room so college bros can yell at the middle-aged party activists for half an hour), and her victory over Donald Trump... well, you all know that story.

Remember though, it's Hillary's fault she lost and no one else's, but it's also Hillary's fault Bernie lost.
Pls print and give to the undemocratic superdelegates who interfered and made 4 million fewer people vote for a certain someone.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Benny Boy is actually throwing a fit currently because another one of his followers attacked a synagogue.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Is there anything concrete to show that Bernie is aware of how naive he used to be, and has changed his ways? Because if not, it seems like Bernie and Biden are flip-sides of the same coin - Bernie thinks a left-wing revolution will be piss-easy when he takes office, and Biden thinks the GOP will be fine crossing the aisle for Dem legislation of any sort.

Edit: Also, Hillary's loss still makes me so fucking god damn mad. :(
Nothing Sanders has done or said this round has made me think his way of thinking has meaningfully changed.

The problem of course is that even the more pragmatic approach that Clinton or say, Biden would take will work with the GOP, who will refuse to pass anything that makes them look like they're working with the devil. Obama put Social Security cuts on the table and they didn't bite. The only way to even start getting things done is winning the presidency, winning enough Senate seats to tie (better is preferable), and nuke that filibuster.

And yes, I will take my pettiness over 2016 to the fucking grave, especially considering how many of my friends supported Bernie Sanders and decided to put their ass on full display because of it. Funny how quickly you go from the one guy in your circle who actually gives a shit about politics or even votes to just being a pessimistic, centrist party hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.