• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The average person makes well under $561k in income.
And his income bracket, donates that much to charity that they write off on their tax sheets. And Bernie Sanders has been vocal in that he does not believe that charitable donations are a solution to any problem, he believes that they are a failure of the system.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I kind of wonder what would happen to Trump's "policies" if Miller were somehow removed. It's obvious he's the one doing most of the planning. I imagine Trump's administration would basically be done at that point and enter true lame duck territory. He's not going to listen to any of his other advisers and he sure as hell won't think up policies on his own.

It'd be hate-watching CNN and grifting only, really.

The threat to Trump isn't Weld himself but Weld gaining even a little traction, because that could open the floodgates for nevertrump Republican candidates.

LBJ

Ford

Carter

HW Bush

It's not a clean kill but a wound that softens them up for a killing blow later.

So thank you, Mr. Weld, and good luck at getting 30%+ in the early states. :D

I guess the Fox News town hall is on?

"The Horseshoe now demands that Fox News is now a Progressive news network. We thank you for your understanding."

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha Bernie on Fox is worth it for this:

Who the fuck is going to be like "Yeah, let me keep my shitty insurance with my company that goes away if I lose my job."

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for your attempts to elevate us. I regret only that we are wretches unwilling to hear the good word.
I literally posted a couple statistics and a chart. I get that "snark" is what plays here for e-points, but all I was doing is dismissing a bad faith argument before it even could begin.

I'm sorry that offends you, oh almighty arbiter of what is and is not allowable discourse. You can all go back to posting twitter feeds and talking about the very important issues of the day like... Bill Weld running for President.

If you're signaling that you put someone on ignore, you're doing it to grandstand btw, it's the rhetorical version of having a tantrum and going "I don't want to play with you anymore". If you're going to do it, just do it.

Anyway, enjoy your bubble.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
So, seems like Bernie's tax returns are pretty standard. Looks about like what everyone was expecting. Glad he finally got that out of the way so we can move on.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Did you look at the chart?
No I didn't, but I just did. Apparently he is in the range for his income for 2018 (and only 2018), but I still think it's quite stingy considering his beliefs. Especially considering 70% of his 2017 charitable contributions were a shady pass-through to pay his stepson, and without that, he only contributed 1% of his income to charity on income of over 1 mil. Same in 2016- only 1% on 1 mil. The 3.5% of 2018 is actually high for him!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Only $1k to charity? How stingy! /s
You think I'm not going to bring it up or something? It's an absolutely pathetic amount.

For some reason you and some other posters seem to think charities are a scam. But only because it helps with your narrative. Even if your candidate is the one whose family ran a scam charity.

Bye.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
This video is extremely relevant to this discussion

Not stressed enough in that video, but the point is, charities do nothing to solve wealth inequality. Instead of giving to charities, they should no longer lobby, and they should pay their fair share of taxes. Philanthropy is a con when these same people are doing all the bad things that maintain wealth inequality.

Last edited:

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
— the "fuck pelosi" brigade from earlier today is stupid and insincere.

— they are only a half degree different than the "fuck Biden" brigade which creates dissonance for me because:

— Beto and Pete are only getting the remotest time of day because they are not women.

— notre dame burning is a historic disaster (and it's extremely ok to wonder if it was an attack).

— it's not what's in Bernie's taxes, it's what's not. There's a reason he waited 4 years to release 10 years. What's hiding back there?

— the Berniebros are so fuckin predictable. Showing your ass in every thread.

— expect more shenanigans when the report is released on thurs.

— y'all pay your taxes? I did. :(

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
— it's not what's in Bernie's taxes, it's what's not. There's a reason he waited 4 years to release 10 years. What's hiding back there?
Yeah I don't understand why it took him a billion years to release them. Despite me hemming and hawing about him being a cheapass, there really isn't much to see there. It's a little suspect that it took so long when they aren't any more complicated than the average person with his income- hell probably even less complicated tbh. We do know $25k of his 2017 charitable contributions were to the scam though.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think I'm not going to bring it up or something? It's an absolutely pathetic amount.

For some reason you and some other posters seem to think charities are a scam. But only because it helps with your narrative. Even if your candidate is the one whose family ran a scam charity.

Bye.
Nothing says "I'm interested in any form of debate" like blocking people who you don't like and pretending they don't exist.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
— the Berniebros are so fuckin predictable. Showing your ass in every thread.

(
We posted because the arguments are poor. The argument has never been about him giving to charity. It's like calling all of us who ride in fossil fueled cars hypocrites for wanting climate change tackled. Philanthropy is not a substitute for tackling wealth inequality through government just like an individual making their carbon foot print smaller a substitute for the government tackling climate change.

It's a non point.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
We posted because the arguments are poor. The argument has never been about him giving to charity. It's like calling all of us who ride in fossil fueled cars hypocrites for wanting climate change tackled. Philanthropy is not a substitute for tackling wealth inequality through government just like an individual making their carbon foot print smaller a substitute for the government tackling climate change.

It's a non point.
Yeah I don't even disagree with that, and the "fuck oooofffff" stuff isn't useful.

It's just both predictable and suspect that the only (*only*) time Bernie types want to engage on anything is either to attack other candidates with similar positions or to defend him from correct and serious questioning.

Edit: the "we posted" turn of phrase is interesting since it suggests coordination, which would be darkly hilarious.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
And his income bracket, donates that much to charity that they write off on their tax sheets. And Bernie Sanders has been vocal in that he does not believe that charitable donations are a solution to any problem, he believes that they are a failure of the system.

Now that Republicans have removed the tax incentive for most Americans to donate, he doesn't have to worry about that, I guess.

I don't know, justifying not donating to charity because the system is broken reminds me of Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs. No idea if Bernie justifies it that way, but it sounds like you do.

(nsfw language)

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
— notre dame burning is a historic disaster (and it's extremely ok to wonder if it was an attack).
It's tragic, but "historic" disasters are the untold places of the world that have been completely lost to history.

We've had hundreds of years to document and preserve Notre Dame, and the structure itself remains intact, if damaged. We know exactly how it was made, and how it can be restored.

It's always unfortunate when natural events destroy sites of historical significance, but we're a lot better equipped than our ancestors to make sure their existence is never truly lost.

A dark day for sure, but not the end for this historic structure.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't even disagree with that, and the "fuck oooofffff" stuff isn't useful.

It's just both predictable and suspect that the only (*only*) time Bernie types want to engage on anything is either to attack other candidates with similar positions or to defend him from correct and serious questioning.

Edit: the "we posted" turn of phrase is interesting since it suggests coordination, which would be darkly hilarious.
Y'all really love that conspiracy theory shit.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether the audience of 50 year old skidoo dealership owners is filling the actual audience or not is irrelevant if he is clearly getting engagement and making salient, incredibly easy to understand points.

The town hall is just to introduce him to a wider base of people. And none of the questions had Sanders skipping a beat. It was a good town hall for him.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Y'all really love that conspiracy theory shit.

I don't understand why someone posting a response that pointed out there's absolutely nothing exceptional in any sense about Bernie's charitable contributions and further explained why from Bernie's ideological position charities shouldn't even be that important, of all things, is what provokes what I can only describe as paranoia. Some people seriously treat posting on a message board like it's cloak-and-dagger espionage. It's just someone's opinion getting a completely sober, measured, calm and informed rebuttal. Literally it.

Status
Not open for further replies.