• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Stock market is wack. It'll be back at record numbers tomorrow after the shorting.

Also I'm sure right before closing today Trump or Mnuchin will make some vague statement about "on-going" discussions and the market will buy it hook line and sinker.

I swear, sometimes it feels like Trump purposely tanks the stock market in the morning, so he and his cronies can buy low and then he manipulates the market again right before closing to recover the majority of the losses as if nothing happened.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm sure right before closing today Trump or Mnuchin will make some vague statement about "on-going" discussions and the market will buy it hook line and sinker.

I swear, sometimes it feels like Trump purposely tanks the stock market in the morning, so he and his cronies can buy low and then he manipulates the market again right before closing to recover the majority of the losses as if nothing happened.
That's exactly what's happening

less

Oct 25, 2017

Pete's definitely got a lot of work to do with black voters. But....I think we might need to start questioning some assumptions about how Biden is viewed by the electorate.

Do we? I don't see anything that is surprising there. Obama cred plus pragmatism explains the numbers there.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto is going on Maddow tonight. Hope he stays on a good 30 minutes at least. Really interested in seeing the dynamic between these 2.

Oct 27, 2017

Pete's definitely got a lot of work to do with black voters. But....I think we might need to start questioning some assumptions about how Biden is viewed by the electorate.

Sander's doesn't have a race problem. It is that minorities in the south specifically prefer perceived front-runners.

Buttigieg however does have a race problem. I mean that part is obvious.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Trump tweet in response to this comment by Tlaib.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/13/politics/rashida-tlaib-holocaust-comments/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/&rm=1

Speaking on an episode of Yahoo News' "Skullduggery" podcast that was released Friday, Tlaib was asked about her support for a one-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. She began by noting the recent observance of Holocaust Remembrance Day before veering into the historic position of the state of Israel.
"There's kind of a calming feeling I always tell folks when I think of the Holocaust, and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors, Palestinians, who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people's passports," Tlaib said.
She continued, "I mean, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time, and I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right, in many ways. But they did it in a way that took their human dignity away, right, and it was forced on them. And so when I think about a one-state, I think about the fact that, why couldn't we do it in a better way?"

When asked whether advocating for a one-state solution could be seen as reckless, Tlaib replied, "No, I'm coming from a place of love, for equality and justice, I truly am."

At this point, anyone not white and Christian on the Democratic side speaking about Israel-Palestine is going to get dog piled.[/quote]

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Wow...

Apple suffered a significant defeat at the Supreme Court on Monday, when the justices ruled that consumers could forge ahead with a lawsuit against the iPhone giant over the way it manages its App Store.

The 5-4 decision could spell serious repercussions for one of Apple's most lucrative lines of business, and open the door for similar legal action targeting other tech giants in Silicon Valley.

Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh joined the liberal justices in the majority.

Oct 27, 2017

Uh, Trump lost 100 million a year for 10 years. He could have put his initial 1 Million from his dad into the S&P and done nothing else for the rest of his life, and be a billionaire. He is no stock market maven, even in the face of exercising the most simple of volatility strategies.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, Trump lost 100 million a year for 10 years. He could have put his initial 1 Million from his dad into the S&P and done nothing else for the rest of his life, and be a billionaire. He is no stock market maven, even in the face of exercising the most simple of volatility strategies.

Except he's kind of done this thing before. In the 80s he used to buy up a bunch of stock in a company, announce a hostile takeover he never could have actually pulled off, and then sold high. It worked pretty well until it didn't and he took a huge loss, so I can see him trying it again.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017

Someone smarter than me know what this is about?

Haven't been able to see the breakdown yet.

Quick glance, if you sue a state that is not part of the state your are suing in (ie, suing Nevada in a California court), the sued state does not have to accept any judgement from the state the suit began in. Someone can correct me but that's the jist.

Edit: To be more accurate, a monetary judgement cannot be greater than the state that is sued would judge for.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Quick glance, if you sue a state that is not part of the state your are suing in (ie, suing Nevada in a California court), the sued state does not have to accept any judgement from the state the suit began in. Someone can correct me but that's the jist.
Huh.

A lot of people in the comments have already begun fretting about the implications of this decision vis-a-vis abortion and same-sex marriage, but if your explanation is right, those things would still be safe in blue states. If Roe were overturned and AL sued NY for still having legal abortion, NY wouldn't have to accept a negative judgment from AL state courts.

But I haven't read it, either. It sounds like one of those cases where you need to read the full opinion and see the breakdown. I probably misunderstood something, though.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

lol, 0 percent is pretty dire! I mean there's still a lot of months left in the primary calendar, but not quite sure how you go from 0 percent to anything close to Biden's numbers.

I think the debates are the big chance for the others to ding Biden's numbers. If he comes out of those still hovering at majority or plurality support like this, he'll pick up the nomination, and probably do so fairly easily.

Oct 27, 2017
Older outflowing/waste pipes in NYC buildings, which already have scale build-ups from many decades of use, cannot handle the influx of sludge produced by garbage disposals without bursting.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Older outflowing/waste pipes in NYC buildings, which already have scale build-ups from many decades of use, cannot handle the influx of sludge produced by garbage disposals without bursting.

I'm not terribly handy around the house beyond basics, but if you ever need a garbage disposal replaced, repaired or removed, I'm your man. The first one I did took about two hours of me lying under a sink screaming at god and getting a face full of rancid bacon fat for my blasphemy. The second one about half that time and now I can install, with air gap and j-bend, in about 25 minutes IF there's existing power and IF there is at least a counter mounted air gap. I could probably install one of those but ain't no way I am cutting holes in quartz or marble. I can also open any jar in history, including the Gordian Pickle Jar that brought down Alexander the Great. The trick is to keep doing it until it opens even if it costs you a lot of skin and don't stop the initial torque-turning move or the blood will make it slick.

Also at Avengers this weekend my daughter pointed out that I had the same body as Thor. But not as muscular.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So taxpayers pay the price for his trade war and then we get to pay for his bailout of farmers due to his trade war so they'll vote for him again.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017

So taxpayers pay the price for his trade war and then we get to pay for his bailout of farmers due to his trade war so they'll vote for him again.

GOVERMENT HANDOUT!!

all it will do it make these farmers lazy and entitled.. leaching off the American tax payer.!!

they gotta pull them selves up with their bootstraps

Oct 25, 2017
The day the House shot down the original TARP bill, the Dow dropped 6.98% (777 points). The equivalent today would be over 1,800 points.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope the economy crashes soon. I know it's coming and it's better if it happens under Trump than the next dem.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Farm subsidies are actually a great example of the hypocrisy over government power and intervention in US history. You would be hard-pressed to find a group that has benefited more directly from government action than American farmers. This goes at least as far back as the Homestead Act, and then in the 1870s with Granger legislation leading to the creation of the ICC in the 1880s, and then building into the Populist movement in the 1890s. Then in the 1920s you get the beginnings of attempts at government price supports which culminated in the agricultural legislation during the New Deal which basically began the subsidy system that still exists. Yet the myth of the yeomen farmer living by the sweat of his brow and nothing else still persists, and the same people who are likely to rail against welfare programs when it pays for things like food stamps, which are assumed to be only benefiting minorities, are themselves the beneficiaries of one of the largest and longest-running welfare programs in the country's existence.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Trump job approval in states where there are Senate races in 2020, highlighting the key ones (some of the differences because of rounding):

ME: 38/59 (-21)
NC: 44/53 (-9)
GA: 46/50 (-4)
AL: 59/39 (+20)
TX: 50/47 (+3)
CO: 40/58 (-18)
AZ: 47/50 (-3)
AK: 51/46 (+5)

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Trump job approval in states where there are Senate races in 2020, highlighting the key ones (some of the differences because of rounding):

ME: 38/59 (-21)
NC: 44/53 (-9)
GA: 46/50 (-4)
AL: 59/39 (+20)
TX: 50/47 (+3)
CO: 40/58 (-18)
AZ: 47/50 (-3)
AK: 51/46 (+5)

Susan better hope her "Moderate Darling" persona will continue to work because those are some really poor numbers for Trump in Maine.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the 3 million that the guy raised for Collins opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.