• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The current news cycle has been terrible for Trump.

120k troops just to posture to Iran and threaten a ground invasion, for reasons, receiving poor reviews
Dow heading towards 25000, the other way.
China tariffs a mess.
European auto tariffs a mess (though they just announced they would "delay" this, heh).
His son front-and-center in front of the "friendly" Senate, which is something they've been desperate to avoid.
Media clips of farmers giving Trump's economic policies and performance poor grades.
"Impeachment" has found its way to the top headlines and polls, even though there is no actual impeachment currently.
Blocking the tax returns has only led to disclosure of his massive losses.
Blocking everything else has led to "collusion" disappearing from the news cycle, but by bringing it back it would make him look even worse.
State-level abortion bills basically pissing everyone off, no matter what side they're on.
Trump's properties continue to decline in favorability - Doral property "on fire" according to Eric.
Courts telling Trump's lawyers that their defense of "whitewater and watergate investigations weren't legitimate" is ridiculous.
Rick Gates continuing to cooperate with no end in sight.
NRA on life support, with internal corruption.
Likely that Mueller didn't even do a counter-intelligence investigation, that it happened separately in FBI, and is on-going.

It'd be nice to see this keep eroding his margins in winnable states cuz maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan this last week has me on edge despite this.

Just making the court case even more solid for Dems

Speaking of which, they're on their last Robeast here. I guess?

Again, all active in politics GOP 40yo or younger from here on out are either alt-right dickbags or the 10-toothed rubes they sucker.

So facebook and twitter are gone too?

They want to farm data to that Neo Cambridge Analytica, PsyGroup, or Rankwave, then have Putin's Chef direct the results. Again.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think Harris adds much to Biden

Biden will badly need to throw young leftists some sort of bone. Biden/Warren would be better. I think Harris would be sort of like a Tim Kaine like pick that doesn't really address the things certain parts of the party don't like about the nominee

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Straight up shameful and really just dereliction of duty as a coequal branch if they just give up on impeachment. Letting this president and every future president know that colluding with a hostile government and obstructing justice is fine. Putting it squarely on the voters to bail them out.

Our last hope of any serious punishment occuring at this point seems to be Mueller dropping bombs at his testimony. And most experts agree that he wouldn't do that because he's such a fucking boy scout.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Biden will badly need to throw young leftists some sort of bone. Biden/Warren would be better. I think Harris would be sort of like a Tim Kaine like pick that doesn't really address the things certain parts of the party don't like about the nominee

There is the small matter of the massive group of black voters who want diversity in the ticket, whether or not leftists see that as filthy identity politics.

Warren as VP would be pointless, unless she's given specifically given power over regulation, like Gore was basically given the environment, etc.

Biden/Harris, with an agreement that Warren takes over as Senate Majority Leader is probably best.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't he saying that they are risking backlash and need to do it in smaller steps so no one notices?
Honestly I feel like if you see any R backlash, its cause if they actually do the thing they've been threatening to do, they can't use it as a perennial talking point. Republicans with actual power don't actually want this cause of how effective a political tool it is for their base.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Pat Robertson saying the abortion ban goes too far is some ironic shit for a senile man
If they actually do it then they lose one of the biggest things that drives GOP turnout. It's like how the NRA looses money when the GOP is in office, it's better for them politically if they don't get what they want here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If they actually do it then they lose one of the biggest things that drives GOP turnout. It's like how the NRA looses money when the GOP is in office, it's better for them politically if they don't get what they want here.
It really seems like some of the new tea partiers in the party don't realize that it was a long con all along.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FsTaiiF.png

Brave new world. Context:

Oct 25, 2017

But they're also zealots who like the cheap black and brown flow of prison labor that comes from higher birthrates and who think that white people aren't having enough babies to save white culture or whatever, so I wouldn't expect them to be this calculating.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
But they're also zealots who like the cheap black and brown flow of prison labor that comes from higher birthrates and who think that white people aren't having enough babies to save white culture or whatever, so I wouldn't expect them to be this calculating.
Also true. That said, we do know this is how the people who originally linked the GOP and anti-abortion movement looked at it. They saw it as an issue that could be used to drive turnout in elections.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could say that I could resist spamming that WH report "Censorship" form - but I can't.

Fun fact - the "tell us you're not a bot" asks you to say when the Declaration of Independence was signed. Which, all in all, was a more pleasant experience than picking all the pictures with stop signs.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could say that I could resist spamming that WH report "Censorship" form - but I can't.

Fun fact - the "tell us you're not a bot" asks you to say when the Declaration of Independence was signed. Which, all in all, was a more pleasant experience than picking all the pictures with stop signs.

But the DoI was signed over many years by different people.

/pedant

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

It also ensures that none of the dipshits who think they're getting censored can say so.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how people thought all these rando dudes would eat into Diamond Joe's votes but just seem to be making him stronger. For some god forsaken reason

Bills announcement will probably just boost Joes polling another 1.5%

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how people thought all these rando dudes would eat into Diamond Joe's votes but just seem to be making him stronger. For some god forsaken reason

It's simply self-preservation. When you look at what demo says what, you get a sense that PoC and 40+ want someone who can beat Trump. Full stop. I don't think at this point people care who, just that someone who looks like they know what they're doing take over. Strong White Daddy to the rescue.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, we found it, the worst tweet ever

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It turns out that the Party Loyalist/Beat Trump No Matter the Cost group all three their weight behind Biden while the Policy First voters ended up getting split among the various other candidates.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how Biden's (and Bernie's) age isn't a bigger deal to people. Like, they'd both be pushing 90 fucking years old by the end of a second term. The risks of mental degradation at that age are just way to high for comfort for an office like the presidency. Reagan and Trump both show signs of mental slowdown. Warren is already pushing the limit of age acceptability for me.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Biden's (and Bernie's) age isn't a bigger deal to people. Like, they'd both be pushing 90 fucking years old by the end of a second term. The risks of mental degradation at that age are just way to high for comfort for an office like the presidency. Reagan and Trump both show signs of mental slowdown. Warren is already pushing the limit of age acceptability for me.
strong white granddaddy syndrome

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though old people are dying, the birthrate decline means that the electorate is actually AGING because there are fewer younger voters replacing them.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
What's with Alabama's fixation with endlessly perpetuating the stereotype of their being a third world country in the middle of the US? Does the infinite misery sexually arouse them or something? They can't actually enjoy being a global punchline, right?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Straight up shameful and really just dereliction of duty as a coequal branch if they just give up on impeachment. Letting this president and every future president know that colluding with a hostile government and obstructing justice is fine. Putting it squarely on the voters to bail them out.

Our last hope of any serious punishment occuring at this point seems to be Mueller dropping bombs at his testimony. And most experts agree that he wouldn't do that because he's such a fucking boy scout.

All we could have hoped for with impeachment was Trump getting shamed, he wasn't going to get impeached in the senate with Mitch McConnell.

It turns out that the Party Loyalist/Beat Trump No Matter the Cost group all three their weight behind Biden while the Policy First voters ended up getting split among the various other candidates.

How many Policy First voters do you think there are?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I think maximizing black voter turnout is probably more electorally important than maximizing young leftist turnout. Biden and Warren are kind of not that friendly with each other, and while I think Warren would very like accept running mate if offered I don't think Biden would offer it. Biden and Harris have a better relationship I think and ultimately I think you want a president and vice president who like each other than not.

Tim Kaine was a weak choice because the only thing he really brought to the ticket was his Spanish fluency which he almost never even used! Robby Mook running fake-out outreach efforts in AZ, GA and TX while neglecting the blue wall states was his biggest sin as campaign manager, but not throwing Kaine on Spanish television and radio every fucking week was a close runner-up.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

He's being pragmatic and is also senile, but wow.

Some are sensible enough to realize that the first story of a woman forced to carry her rapist's baby to term is going to be a nightmare for the pro-life cause.

What's with Alabama's fixation with endlessly perpetuating the stereotype of their being a third world country in the middle of the US? Does the infinite misery sexually arouse them or something? They can't actually enjoy being a global punchline, right?

Alabama has no real history of democracy. For them, as for most of the GOP but especially in a place where conservatives have changed parties but have *never* been seriously challenged in 200 years, it's about having and exercising power. Why does any tinpot dictator do things like make all doctors swear personal loyalty to him or rename days of the week after their dog? You do it because you can, because you're born to power and its exercise is your destiny.

Edit: to speak more directly to your point, it's better for them to be king of the ashes, and burning the place down increases their relative power within it. It puts lie to the myth of the dictator who just wants to make their country strong. No, they want to make *themselves* strong and any benefit to the country is incidental to their increase of their own power, like Putin's efforts at Russian revanchism while he lines his own pockets.

Last edited:

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

This is Beto's last chance to fix one of the worst mistakes he made last year. He should absolutely help Gina Ortiz as much as possible in order to make up for abandoning her in 2018. This was one of those things that really soured me on him. Otherwise I would have been pretty happy to cast a vote for him in 2020. Also, I'd like to donate to him and this just sticks in my craw.

Oct 26, 2017
I've changed my mind again, thinking Warren over Beto now.
That's about where I am now, Beto showed a lot of potential in the beginning but it seems he has not lived up to it at all. Warren is great on policy and a good person, but my only concern with her is that many people's assumption or impression that she is unelectable has led to an actual issue of electability I think. If she is able to get the nomination, hopefully that will be resolved.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Another incredible official Presidential statement... the idea that Trump looks like anything more than a sack of wet potatoes is beyond laughable.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Doesn't Harris's sarcastic comments about how she'd be open to running with Biden being HER VP kind of tell you how she thinks about being HIS?

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Biden's high poll numbers are really a mirror of why Trump did so well in 2016: He's whatever ideal people want him to be at the time. Or in this case, he's whatever the good things were during Obama's time in office and a return to the "normalcy" that was 2008-16.

Doesn't mean that can't shatter if Biden makes some gaffes, though.

And holy shit, that farmers thread in the OT forum is such a shitshow. People literally happy that the ag sector might collapse so they can dunk on Trump voters from their ivory towers. I actually live out in a semi-rural area, and while I don't know if they're pissed enough to hold the line on not voting for Trump in 2020, there is anger about the government handouts and tariffs (most of them take them because they're still incurring costs, and the tariffs lasting this long are delivering real pain to their ability to sell goods to markets they've long sold to) and they're reachable with the right talk and policy, even by supposed "boogeymen/women" like Bernie and Warren.

But nah, let's own them. That'll make us feel great again.

Status
Not open for further replies.