• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Only problem I see with Biden is that 2022 backlash is going to be massive. For some reason I don't see it with Bernie or Warren.

I don't know; if Bernie were to win it, I think at least some of his supporters would be disappointed at his inability to completely dismantle and replace our political and economic systems.

I bet it still really pisses him off that Obama has forty million followers on him.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Further proof Beto just isn't a good fit for the rust belt.

I5A0vkd.png

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Of course as more people announce that they are running and are given more exposure, any single demographic is going to become more fractured and divided among those candidates.

Bernie is still in the lead way ahead everyone else with that demo except for Biden and even then, he's still almost 10 points ahead of him.

Yet Jack Package is trying to frame it like Bernie's support is literally running out. That's simply not the case.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Framing that graph as "Bernie losing support among millennials" is a pretty disingenuous way of looking at that data. It might be literally true, but even on that decline his approval among younger votes is way ahead of everyone else, and only Biden is making noticeable gains there.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
That just seems so strange to me.
Rust belt likes candidates that says words like Jobs, Economy, Unions, and Trade. And that just isn't Beto's focus.

I guess the south likes hearing words like Immigration, Veterans, Drugs, and Farms. And that is Beto's focus.

I also think the rust belt prefers you to have a villain you're fighting against, while the south prefers talk about putting differences aside to come together.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I mean if you're going to make the electability argument you might as well just start supporting Biden.
Mostly just poll nerd talk at this point. I don't have much desire to politically attack anyone but Biden at this point, thanks to both him being significantly worse than everyone else, and him having a significantly higher chance to win the primary than anyone else.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Lordy...

I hope to god the left's voting power is real. This guy is pissing me off.

tbf I seem to recall my Bernie or Bust friends using very similar talking points to explain why it was okay that Sanders supported the crime bill, but not Clinton of course.

That all white crowd though.

Didn't know the crime bill included the assault weapons ban, TIL. Glad he's also for restricting ownership, guess we'll see how that develops.
It also included VAWA. Definitely a mixed bag of a bill.

Oct 27, 2017

Lordy...

I hope to god the left's voting power is real. This guy is pissing me off.

Yes, bring up your legislative record during the spearheading of the "tough on crime" era of the past 25 years, ugh.

But that notwithstanding, you "beat the NRA"? Basically they got funded by Russia afterwards and beat everyone a bunch of times since. That doesn't bode well for someone who believes they can beat someone who has the support of Russia.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
tbf I seem to recall my Bernie or Bust friends using very similar talking points to explain why it was okay that Sanders supported the crime bill, but not Clinton of course.

Sanders voted for the Crime Bill?

Lol.

Edit: huh, didn't know it included VAWA as well. Pity it led to mass incarceration.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Bernie or Bust, I hope those people who couldn't be bothered to vote Clinton feel real fucking smart about Roe likely getting the boot.

Thanks a million.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Yes, he even campaigned on that vote prior to running for President.

His supporters either don't know or don't care. Only Bernie gets to evolve.
He didn't need to evolve because even in 1994 he was saying the bill was too harsh on crime. He voted for it just for the Violence Against Women Act. And now in 2019, everyone's saying what he said in 1994. Crime bill sucked but for the Violence Against Women Act

https://www.vox.com/2016/2/26/11116412/bernie-sanders-mass-incarceration

But it is also my view that through the neglect of our government and through a grossly irrational set of priorities, we are dooming today tens of millions of young people to a future of bitterness, misery, hopelessness, drugs, crime, and violence. And, Mr. Speaker, all the jails in the world — and we already imprison more people per capita than any other country — and all of the executions … in the world will not make that situation right.
We can either educate or electrocute. We can create meaningful jobs, rebuilding our society, or we can build more jails. Mr. Speaker, let us create a society of hope and compassion, not one of hate and vengeance.
I have a number of serious problems with the crime bill, but one part of it that I vigorously support is the Violence Against Women Act. We urgently need the $1.8 billion in this bill to combat the epidemic of violence against women on the streets and in the homes of America.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay sure Biden is the front-runner now, but there's also like 20 candidates the overall support is being split among. Once the weaker candidates start dropping out like flies and maybe 2 second tier candidates drop out, I could easily see a good chunk of that support going toward Biden's competitor. Instead of Biden steam-rolling the polls, it may look something more like this: Biden 35, Harris 27, Sanders 20, and Warren 15 by the end of the fall. Biden would still have the lead, but the race would still very much up for grabs once people start actually voting in various states.

It makes me want to vomit a bit hearing reports that Biden is trying to effectively wrap-up the primary election before the first debate. What's worse is the media is trying to facilitate it. The democratic field is insanely big but the debates will naturally filter out the scrubs and from there we should just let the rest of the candidates prove themselves without anointing presumptive nominees before the first votes. I swear it's like we never learn anything.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
He didn't need to evolve because even in 1994 he was saying the bill was too harsh on crime. He voted for it just for the Violence Against Women Act. And now in 2019, everyone's saying what he said in 1994. Crime bill sucked but for the Violence Against Women Act

https://www.vox.com/2016/2/26/11116412/bernie-sanders-mass-incarceration

But it is also my view that through the neglect of our government and through a grossly irrational set of priorities, we are dooming today tens of millions of young people to a future of bitterness, misery, hopelessness, drugs, crime, and violence. And, Mr. Speaker, all the jails in the world — and we already imprison more people per capita than any other country — and all of the executions … in the world will not make that situation right.
We can either educate or electrocute. We can create meaningful jobs, rebuilding our society, or we can build more jails. Mr. Speaker, let us create a society of hope and compassion, not one of hate and vengeance.
I have a number of serious problems with the crime bill, but one part of it that I vigorously support is the Violence Against Women Act. We urgently need the $1.8 billion in this bill to combat the epidemic of violence against women on the streets and in the homes of America.

Good speech.

Oct 27, 2017
Facebook is a joke. They've been making cash for nearly a decade off online propaganda, and now that their collective wrists might be slapped, these fucking cretins decide to throw the public a bone by doing shit they should have done a long time ago. The AP site won't let me copy and paste text on mobile for some reason

Facebook busts Israel-based campaign to disrupt elections

https://apnews.com/7d334cb8793f49889be1bbf89f47ae5c

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Speaking of Bernie or Bust, I hope those people who couldn't be bothered to vote Clinton feel real fucking smart about Roe likely getting the boot.

Thanks a million.
I'll just quote my Facebook post on that

(warning political post)

Love seeing liberals advocate for Roe v. Wade getting overturned because "things will get so bad that everyone will vote for Democrats in droves in the next election"

The same ones who said we should vote third-party and let Trump win because "things will get so bad that everyone will vote for Democrats in droves in the next election"

p.s. RvW would be in zero danger if Clinton had won and appointed a Supreme Court judge in Scalia's place, unless you want to tell me she was secretly pro-life too in addition to being Satan

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
That all white crowd though.

Didn't know the crime bill included the assault weapons ban, TIL. Glad he's also for restricting ownership, guess we'll see how that develops.

It's New Hampshire, so anyone's going to have an predominantly white crowd just due to demographics (same thing with Iowa).

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Nice words from Bernie but he also had no problem running on his support for the bill overall in 2006 when he credited it for reducing crime.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I wish more people were willing to give people that are mostly on the same side more benefit of the doubt. I think Biden is a creep and Bernie is inadequate as a leader, but despite those flaws I would be overjoyed to have either of them as president right now.

For example Biden's vote for the Iraq was has some nuance to it. He tried, unsuccessfully, to limit the scope of the war to removing WMDs and to require UN authorization for it to proceed but was blocked by Dick Gephardt. Biden is still on the hook for ultimately voting for authorization, but it's disingenuous to paint him as a warhawk.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

W H Y
I wish more people were willing to give people that are mostly on the same side more benefit of the doubt. I think Biden is a creep and Bernie is inadequate as a leader, but despite those flaws I would be overjoyed to have either of them as president right now.

For example Biden's vote for the Iraq was has some nuance to it. He tried, unsuccessfully, to limit the scope of the war to removing WMDs and to require UN authorization for it to proceed but was blocked by Dick Gephardt. Biden is still on the hook for ultimately voting for authorization, but it's disingenuous to paint him a warhawk.

I'm pretty sure most people do. This website isn't representative of the populace as a whole, not by a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.