• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to derail that other thread so I'll drop this here instead:

TheLostBigBoss

It was actually due to WW2:

original.jpg

https://www.demos.org/blog/5/25/14/piketty-has-two-separate-income-inequality-theories

The greatest wealth distribution scheme of the last century was, in fact, an apocalyptic world war. We are actually headed towards a repeat of those economic conditions that appeared in the early 20th century, except this time it's driven by global socio-economic chaos (as a consequence of climate change and decades of austerity) instead of imperialist Germany.

An apocalyptic war... which never reached the borders of the US

Your chart is US wealth share, yet you're talking about the economic factors of Europe.

WWII was definitely a major reason the middle class had such an insane boom, but your thesis seems to be off if your arguing absolute destruction was the prime cause of wealth distribution in the US.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your chart is US wealth share, yet you're talking about the economic factors of Europe.

WWII was definitely a major reason the middle class had such an insane boom, but your thesis seems to be off if your arguing absolute destruction was the prime cause of wealth distribution in the US.
Europe parallels the US, because we did overhaul our economy for the war effort, including 90%+ tax brackets for corporations.

1*dFKBDEWH1Zcte8ojyDbgZA.jpeg

https://medium.com/@AshleyMJasso/wh...equality-are-wrong-and-what-does-8568abeb90cf

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly wonder how much this Omar story is penetrating the non chronically online demographic. Because I don't think it's making headlines anywhere.

Anecdotally I work with 200 people and topics like Kavanaugh and the caravan/border and Comey and the Barr summary and even Assange this week get brought up but I have not once heard anyone talking about Omar. Most people just view it as noise. Generally people are quick to dismiss something if they find out words are being taken out of context. It trashes credibility quickly. Which is why the Barr summary fell so flat as well.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think for most Americans their thoughts on the Omar controversy are "oh she shouldn't have said that" and it ends there.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
As we get closer to 2020, I hope Dems figure out how to respond to this kind of stunt without wasting energy or giving it more steam. It's an obvious bait and seems like there's little to gain here and a lot to lose. It's another purity test and takes the pressure off of issues that drive voters to the polls and best case scenario, what, they look kinda sorta unified?

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wish we could just ignore Trumps islamophobic nonsense but he is putting someone life at risk and that cant go ignored.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

This is a more robust response than what I've seen from, say, Corbyn but Guaidó is hardly "some politician (...) who never won any election". He was elected to the Venezuelan parliament, which elected him as president of the parliament, and he has vowed to hold new 'free and fair' elections once Maduro has stepped down. If that's Bernie's goal too, as he says it is, dunking on the dude seems a bit counter-productive.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
He must have diarrhea tonight. Lots of Twitter shitting.

Fuck.

Them.

All.

Republicans deserve nothing but to be voted out of existence.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Since nothing is going to happen to these hateful people running this government, everyone needs to stop letting them stress you out or piss you off. Get your friends out to vote next year.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I think for most Americans their thoughts on the Omar controversy are "oh she shouldn't have said that" and it ends there.
It's not an unreasonable viewpoint. I had to actually spend some time hearing about the background story this afternoon to get a better picture. If you don't, or just hear snippets, or see just Trump's tweet or the NYP headline, it's hard to understand.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's not an unreasonable viewpoint. I had to actually spend some time hearing about the background story this afternoon to get a better picture. If you don't, or just hear snippets, or see just Trump's tweet or the NYP headline, it's hard to understand.
It's fucking tragic is what it is.

The evil evil thread was locked...

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
who's everyone favorite electoral loser? I'm a little more partial to Dino Rossi than Martha Coakley or Karen Handel. His wikipedia page is amazing.

Originally from Seattle, Washington, Rossi graduated from Seattle University and later pursued a career in commercial real estate. He ran for Governor of Washington in 2004, losing to Democrat Christine Gregoire by 129 votes in the closest gubernatorial election in the history of the United States. Four years later, in 2008, he unsuccessfully contested the office a second time, losing to Gregoire by more than six points. He was the Republican nominee for the United States Senate in 2010, losing to incumbent Senator Patty Murray. This marked Rossi's third straight loss in public elections.

Rossi returned to the Washington State Senate, being appointed in 2012, and again from 2016 to 2017. He was a candidate for the United States House of Representatives for the eighth congressional district in 2018. Rossi lost that race to Democrat Kim Schrier, his fourth consecutive defeat for public office since 2004.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
who's everyone favorite electoral loser? I'm a little more partial to Dino Rossi than Martha Coakley or Karen Handel. His wikipedia page is amazing.
Danny Tarkanian.
Please win the R nom for nv02 or SOS. Please. You can do it.

edit: reading his wikipedia page, what the hell do Republicans see in this guy? Literally just losses or withdrawls. Or withdrawls so he can lose a different election.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Danny Tarkanian.
Please win the R nom for nv02 or SOS. Please. You can do it.

edit: reading his wikipedia page, what the hell do Republicans see in this guy? Literally just losses or withdrawls. Or withdrawls so he can lose a different election.
Ugh Tark! I knew I forgot one.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Anne Northup, lost to Yarmuth 53-47 in 2006 despite trying to distance herself from Bush who was unpopular in the state, ran for Kentucky governor in 2007 believing she can primary an already unpopular Ernie Fletcher and having endorsements from Bunning and Steve Pence, loses badly by 14 points, and ran again for her old seat in 2008 against Yarmuth, loses 59-41.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
So this border EMERGENCY that is solved by.... letting everyone in....?
Another brilliant move by Dear Leader. Trump objective is stop refugees from coming in( and immigration as a whole), so to do that is by releasing them to be taking care of by California? However, we all know he thinks that the refugees are inherently violent and once released they will murder and consume Americans. Somehow, he thinks this all will work.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Stop pretending you're the trump whisperer, Maggie. He's just a shitty person that says shitty things.

This is god-tier irony in the making.

Trump and Co. have been screaming about Sanctuary Cities and now they stand to legitimize those cities as actual sanctuaries for undocumented immigrants and asylum seekers by intentionally moving them all there instead of deporting them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As usual, this makes no sense.

President declaring war on a state. K everything is fine. Gg Mitch.

Oh and I think the NYT tweet from Trump is written by Miller. He has a slightly better grasp of high school english and always goes to weirdly grandiose but arbitrary hyperbole. "Gone in six years" sounds like part of his Kwik-E-Mart Kristalnacht scheme.

Last edited:

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard to show 🌈 C i v i l i t y 🌈 when one side are literal shit heads.

Saying this because of an NPR story.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California and other Blue States should send a letter to trump welcoming the immigrants and in the same letter state that until time the Federal Government ends its war on Blue states that there will be 0 Tax Dollars going to the Federal Government. Starve those red motherfuckers

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
California and other Blue States should send a letter to trump welcoming the immigrants and in the same letter state that until time the Federal Government ends its war on Blue states that there will be 0 Tax Dollars going to the Federal Government. Starve those red motherfuckers
That would hit minorities in those red states the hardest.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Trump's NOAA nominee, Barry Myers, fostered a culture ripe for sexual harassment when he was at AccuWeather in a previously unreported investigation in 2018 by Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and obtained by The Washington Post

A federal workplace investigation found rampant sexual harassment and retaliation at AccuWeather, a federal contractor, including groping, touching and kissing of subordinates without consent. AccuWeather's chief executive at the time of the allegations and investigation, Barry Myers, was tapped by President Trump to lead the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The detailed results of the investigation, not previously reported, were compiled last year by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and obtained by The Washington Post. It determined that AccuWeather, under Myers, fostered a culture ripe for sexual harassment, turned a blind eye to allegations of egregious conduct and retaliated against those who complained.

According to the report, the investigation was prompted by a complaint filed Sept. 6, 2016, alleging a "hostile work environment and termination based on sexual orientation and sex." Many other complaints from AccuWeather employees followed.

"Over two dozen witnesses spanning many different departments and in positions ranging from administrative support to senior management described unlawful sexual harassment that occurred at the company," the report says. "This sexual harassment was so severe and pervasive, that some female employees resigned."

The investigation, which began in March 2017, also found that AccuWeather was "aware" of the sexual harassment but took no action to correct it, despite the company's claims that it was not privy to any harassing activity.

The report lists numerous, alarming examples of the alleged harassing behavior.

Multiple witnesses claimed a "high-profile male employee" in the Digital Media Content and Operations department hugged, touched and kissed female employees on the mouth without their consent. AccuWeather's vice president for human resources expressed shock to the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs at the allegations and claimed to have no knowledge, despite several witnesses' telling investigators they had reported the misconduct to that executive.

Investigators found the claims of "no knowledge" by the vice president for human resources to be incredible, citing the volume of contradicting witness statements and documentary evidence. When one of the complaints against the male employee was investigated by human resources, no action was taken, according to the report.

Moreover, "several" senior male managers, including at least one executive, participated in sexual relationships with subordinate employees. Women in these relationships received career opportunities and job perks not made available to those who did not engage in them, investigators found. A woman was overheard by the vice president for human resources complaining about these relationships, then was fired days later, according to the report.

One woman alleged that an AccuWeather executive used "profane and sexually explicit name-calling" and "obscene references" to sexual orientation in communication with employees.

The investigation also found AccuWeather "did not take reasonable action to prevent and remedy harassing conduct." The report cites a policy manual that directs concerned employees to file a complaint with the company's "Ombudsman Committee" — which the investigation determined "did not exist and had not been active for over two years."

"When employees did complain to their supervisors or HR, no remedial action was taken," the report said. "Some employees . . . were subjected to retaliation based on their complaints. Multiple witnesses described being fearful that they would be terminated and blacklisted if they complained about sexual harassment."

Link to report

Status
Not open for further replies.