• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Thursday release huh. I guess we should all hope for a.....good Friday.

tenor.gif

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Not saying it will happen, but I would not be completely surprised if we get a sequence of events like:

1. Barr releases the report with minor redactions because he is feeling pressure from Mueller and others and does not want to come off as too much of a lackey.

2. Report shows damning information regarding obstruction and other offenses.

3. Trump loses his shit over Barr not supporting him by redacting literally anything threatening to him, fires Barr.

9QaE.gif
Except for #4 (which we are kinda in the midst of), I doubt any of the above is going to really happen, especially #3.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
The report will certainly not be an exoneration, but I don't think it'll go as far as people like. This report will be specifically on the investigation itself, not on the other ones that spawned and were farmed out.

Oct 26, 2017
Not saying it will happen, but I would not be completely surprised if we get a sequence of events like:

1. Barr releases the report with minor redactions because he is feeling pressure from Mueller and others and does not want to come off as too much of a lackey.

2. Report shows damning information regarding obstruction and other offenses.

3. Trump loses his shit over Barr not supporting him by redacting literally anything threatening to him, fires Barr.

9QaE.gif

Releasing the Mueller Report on Thursday is so shady. Literally right before Good Friday and Easter Weekend in attempt to reduce the ability for Congress/Media to respond quickly.

As for your sequence, I only see #3 happening if Barr doesn't try to minimize the damaging material released. So far Barr has done his best to throw as many flares and distraction tactics as possible. Going as far as saying, "Spying did occur" with no evidence. I could easily see Barr trying to discredit any unredacted material that was released in the Mueller report to appease Trump. Barr is already beginning a campaign of investigating the investigators. He basically said so last week. This will keep his job safe even if the Report has damaging information on Trump..

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@mkraju
After the Barr letter came out, Trump was asked if Mueller acted honorably. "Yes, he did," Trump said. https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/25/politics/donald-trump-robert-mueller-acted-honorably/index.html … Before the redacted report comes out, Trump now says —->
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The Mueller Report, which was written by 18 Angry Democrats who also happen to be Trump Haters (and Clinton Supporters), should have focused on the people who SPIED on my 2016 Campaign, and others who fabricated the whole Russia Hoax. That is, never forget, the crime.....

12:26 - 15 Apr 2019

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gee, I wonder what changed?

My read on this is that they had hoped/planned for Barr's "letter" to bury the report which, at a cursory glance at the original news bites, it had done. But then people did a double-take and the news didn't keep running with Barr's narrative and now you're actually stuck in a catch-22.

So, a monkey's paw.

No doubt, Barr has informed Trump and his legal team on the upcoming damages and there's a counter-narrative already building and being given several days to roll out before Barr releases the redacted report.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is normal. Everyone always says "OMG, his tweets mean [something]", and then nothing.
This is how it's always been.

Except that we've had a major scandal or revelation or cabinet disaster almost every week for two years so how are you able to untangle what's panic (which he most certainly does) from normal outrageous incoherent trash?

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017

This is the one thing that I wish every reporter would hammer Trump and every one of his mouthpieces on. Fundamentally, his entire argument, if you can call shit flung against a wall an argument, hinges on a contradiction. Either Mueller and his "angry Democrats" are a hit job designed to take down Trump and thus completely untrustworthy, or the investigation is completely above-board and exonerates him. He has hammered Mueller and his team for months and now he wants to claim that he has been "COMPLETELY EXONERATED" by an investigation that he has been calling a "WITCH HUNT". This makes no damn sense and I wish that journalists would work harder against letting him try to get away with it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barr needs to be grilled in front of congress on the following:

1. Did you communicate directly or through a proxy to tell the president to go silent between Friday and the Sunday press release?

2. Have you assisted, advised or cautioned anyone connected to the whitehouse on legal, political or messaging strategy for responding to the report?

3. Has Robert Mueller agreed with your two personal conclusions on his report? Has Robert Mueller or his team communicated any concerns to you or your office regarding your conclusions or actions since the report?

4. Did you read the entire report and supporting evidence before crafting your letter? Were your conclusions based on a complete understanding of the underlying evidence and the content of the report?

5. Is your legal opinion that a sitting president cannot by logic or law be prosecuted or indicted for obstruction of justice?

6. Can you explain therefore what is to prevent a sitting president from destroying evidence of any crime , high crime or misdemeanor and how you square that with the underlying constitution or rule of law and frankly, common sense? And do you understand that a president controls far more levers of evidentiary and legal machinery than any private citizen or elected official?

7. Can an attorney general be indicted for obstruction of justice?

8. Have you been in communication with unelected private citizens organizations, think tanks or other political organizations on either your highly unusual and unsolicited legal opinion essay or the strategy to deliver it to the whitehouse or the nature of your strategy since taking over the ag office and subsequent delivery of your four page issuance?

9. Have you communicated with senator Lindsay graham (or Kid fucking Rock) on his non senate activities with the president ?

10. Is your intention to remain AG for the entire duration of this presidency and beyond and would you remain in this role should the winner of the next General election request you do so?

12. Do you agree with rule "C2" that the IRS "shall furnish " the tax records of any American and that precedent has included a sitting president and one whose taxes were under audit and that the original law was crafted in direct response to a concern about a sitting president committing financial misdeeds and that by logic that concern raises potential policy concerns or questions for the congress including the possibility of the need to enact further protections for the American people?

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Fox News does not like Means TV. They did AOC's campaign video and are starting a cooperatively owner streaming service.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Lizzie Fletcher raised $582k in Q1, $545k cash on hand

Pretty solid. Dems everywhere doing good fundraising numbers.

Have to wonder how much that dries up once Trump is out of office, though. Hopefully this activated a number of lifetime voters and activists, as opposed to people who will just go back to happily ignoring everything.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
My read on this is that they had hoped/planned for Barr's "letter" to bury the report which, at a cursory glance at the original news bites, it had done. But then people did a double-take and the news didn't keep running with Barr's narrative and now you're actually stuck in a catch-22.

So, a monkey's paw.

No doubt, Barr has informed Trump and his legal team on the upcoming damages and there's a counter-narrative already building and being given several days to roll out before Barr releases the redacted report.
I was being sarcastic. The only thing that changed is now they actually know whats in the report.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far Bootyjudge is my guy. Strong on policy and a less angry Bernie/less wonkish Warren (I mean in how they're portrayed in the media narrative) - he's religious enough to do Jesus judo on Pence but otherwise his own private business, he's an Afghan veteran, he's a White guy but with a twist. His "gay agenda" is already settled law in some important ways so he doesn't seem "activist " - he can add any straight person to his ticket as a foil (Bernie or warren for experience, Harris for Extra diversity and to troll the right into knots) and so far no scandals.

The other Dems can go after him on inexperienced outsiderness but it's harder for Fox and his opponents without creating constant gaffes and hypocritical comparisons that even chuck todd might "challenge " and he's millennial in the good way.

He's 38 so there's a Kennedy aspect and he's from a flyover state. Launching himself AS mayor Pete defangs it as a slight.

He's my guy for now but I am not delusional about his chances especially with everyone from Bernie to Biden about to turn on him either gently or ferociously. I also think the right might underestimate him and start too late but that's an area where they're typically a bit smarter than I give them credit for. They're also patient and are playing the democratic primary lineup almost literally like a deck of cards.

They will prop up Bernie to create maximum infighting during the primary and have a decades of unused oppo powder they kept dry during Hillary. They likely have tons On booker and Harris and especially Biden. Mayor Pete's weaknesses are on his sleeve and the Rove "attack his strengths " will be challenging with such short tenure. They know how to attack veterans and war heroes and are not shy about it.

Oh and if Trump quits or gets shafted then Romney is going to have extreme discomfort fighting a gay opponent.

This is all likely moot unless the DNC thinks Biden is a liability.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Please proceed mr Nunes...

Btw every now and then even Punished Lindsay will do or say something genuinely bipartisan and patriotic if it doesn't upset his blackmailers, but Nunes is full bore tank citizen. He either knows what's in it and thinks he has a way to spin it- or he has no clue and is about to try and Peter Strzok-out again.

Btw Nunes Twitter account has achieved ratio horseshoe theory- by first going bad ratio with hot takes and crimes but has since become a giant gathering place for cow memes thanks to his ridiculous Streisand effect twitter lawsuit.

Last edited:

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
Stephen Miller's turn in front of a hot mic. I hope someone asks him about Richard Spencer.

"We don't see Stephen Miller as an expert," Thompson said. "He's a young man who has some novel ideas that most Democrats disagree with."

Some are already in effect, such as Trump's recent national emergency declaration or the practice of "metering" asylum claims at border stations — leaving migrants to either wait weeks for entry or instead seek apprehension by entering the United States illegally between official ports of entry.
Others are under consideration, such as a plan called "binary choice" that would give migrant families the option of remaining detained together or agreeing to a separation that would allow children to remain free from custody.

"Every single one of those policies, I believe, is driven by Stephen Miller and proudly embraced by Trump, and they're illegal on some level, and yet they're still trying to do it," Rice said. "We can do what we're meant to do, and we can have oversight."
Nadler on Sunday conceded that Miller is likely to invoke executive privilege to avoid testimony, but he said that would be a "misuse" of the claim. "He seems to be making the decisions — not the Cabinet secretaries who come and go," Nadler said.

Miller has "no legal or rational basis for him not to show up" before Congress, Rice said. "You cannot have the architect for these illegal policies act with complete impunity and no accountability."
Saying he has "novel ideas" pisses me off more than anything.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DROP A GIANT ICE CUBE ON IT

"Perhaps weak-handed French President Emmanuelle Macarena should have more thoroughly raked the pews after the big game."

I like how he ALMOST made a good sensitive tweet but had to idiotically add a ridiculously dangerous and destructive firefighting method as if he knew how to fix it.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Spoiler Alert: He lies through his fucking teeth.

First, Barr started out by saying that the history of internal Justice Department rules was a basis for not handing over the full opinion to Congress. "Chairman. Since its inception, the Office of Legal Counsel's opinions have been treated as confidential," Barr said.

That statement was misleading or false, and Chairman Edwards knew it.

Edwards quickly pointed out that the Department had released a compendium of opinions for the general public, including the 1980 one that Barr's secret opinion reversed. "Up until 1985 you published them, and I have it in front of me—'Opinions of the Office of Legal Counsel'—the previous opinion."

Barr retreated. "It has been the long established policy of OLC that except in very exceptional circumstances, the opinions must remain confidential," Barr replied. The reference to "very exceptional circumstances" backtracked from what Barr had just said and what the letter sent to Rep. Edwards by the assistant attorney general had claimed.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Ah, so it's really really obviously one of those days where he's not even pretending that he's doing any work.

"Sir, there's an important building on fire somewhere."
"SHOW IT TO ME NOW!"

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

Spoiler Alert: He lies through his fucking teeth.

This is fascinating.
When the OLC opinion was finally made public long after Barr left office, it was clear that Barr's summary had failed to fully disclose the opinion's principal conclusions. It is better to think of Barr's summary as a redacted version of the full OLC opinion. That's because the "summary" took the form of 13 pages of written testimony. The document was replete with quotations from court cases, legal citations, and the language of the OLC opinion itself. Despite its highly detailed analysis, this 13-page version omitted some of the most consequential and incendiary conclusions from the actual opinion. And there was evidently no justifiable reason for having withheld those parts from Congress or the public.
The Chair of the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee on civil and constitutional rights, Rep. Don Edwards, then wrote to the Attorney General requesting the opinion, but he was rebuffed. An assistant attorney general wrote back. "We are unable to provide you with a copy of the 1989 opinion because it is the established view of the Department of Justice that current legal advice by the Office of Legal Counsel is confidential," she stated. But there was no categorical prohibition, as Barr himself would later admit in testifying before Congress. The assistant attorney general's letter itself included one glaring counterexample. "I am enclosing a copy of the 1980 opinion," she wrote, and she noted that the Department had released the 1980 opinion to the public in 1985.
Barr then pointed out his willingness to provide Congress with "our conclusions and our reasoning." This was the 13-page written testimony which contained a detail recounting of the views expressed in the OLC opinion. Chairman Edwards complained that Barr had violated the rules of the House by submitting his written testimony only that same morning of the hearing, rather than 48 hours in advance. Barr's timing meant that members of the committee and their staff were not well equipped to analyze or question the OLC's analysis. But at least they had the OLC's views in writing. Or did they?
Without the benefit of the OLC opinion, Professor Koh explained how Barr could be hiding important matters by asking Congress and the public to trust just the 13-page version. Koh wrote:

"Barr's continuing refusal to release the 1989 opinion left outsiders with no way to tell whether it rested on factual assumptions that did not apply to the earlier situation, which part of the earlier opinion had not been overruled, or whether the overruling opinion contained nuances, subtleties, or exceptions that Barr's summary in testimony simply omitted."

Koh's words proved prescient.
That proposition is a very difficult one to sustain, and as Brian Finucane and Marty Lederman have explained, Barr was wrong. The 1989 opinion ignored the President's constitutional duty to "take care" that US laws, including ratified treaties, be faithfully executed. And the opinion conflated the so-called political question doctrine, which is about whether courts can review an executive branch action, with the question whether an executive branch action is authorized or legal.

What's more important for our purposes is not whether the 1989 opinion was wrong on this central point, but the fact that Barr failed to disclose this "principal conclusion" to Congress.
Barr's opinion not only failed to apply the Charming Betsy presumption in favor of international law; the opinion applied what might be called a "reverse Charming Betsy." Barr had reasoned that "in the absence of an explicit restriction" concerning international law, the congressional statute should be read to authorize the executive branch to violate international law. "Because, as part of his law enforcement powers, the President has the inherent authority to override customary international law, it must be presumed that Congress intended to grant the President's instrumentality the authority to act in contravention of international law when directed to do so," the opinion stated (emphasis added).
Déjà vu.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am OK with the MIller "novel ideas" phrasing because it's condescending and dismissive which is what he derserves in public rhetoric, as long as they address his presence officially and professionally as a serious concern. What they can't do is villainize him properly and give him a platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.