• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
One reason we got to where we are today is via the media not doing it's job, so expecting them to magically start doing it now is kinda a big ask.

RIP Perry, the only dude left that's remotely competent, based on the lack of scandals coming out of the department if nothing else. Negotiating the Saudi nukes thing is being done waaaay over his head.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Before this presidency, I would have been happy for Rick Perry to leave politics and the public eye forever. Now I don't want him to leave and be replaced. That's how bad things are.

Oct 26, 2017
Before this presidency, I would have been happy for Rick Perry to leave politics and the public eye forever. Now I don't want him to leave and be replaced. That's how bad things are.

We're living in a time where Rick f'ing Perry is one of the last remaining "adults" in the room.

Excuse me while I curl up into a fetal position.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We're living in a time where Rick f'ing Perry is one of the last remaining "adults" in the room.

Excuse me while I curl up into a fetal position.
No kidding, I half expected some sort of nuclear meltdown within a year of him taking over Energy.

He's still a total fucking dipshit, but the fact he's even taken the job seriously, at least it looks like he has anyway, reflects well on him.

If Trump replaces him with some dumb-ass sycophant we're all in it deep...

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know why Trump didnt have to answer Muller's questions directly, and got away with just writing his answers (with his lawyers of corse)? Didnt Clinton have to answer questions in person?

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
that was, in fact, the joke :p
maxresdefault.jpg

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know why Trump didnt have to answer Muller's questions directly, and got away with just writing his answers (with his lawyers of corse)? Didnt Clinton have to answer questions in person?

Because trump would never agree to an interview. Mueller didn't think the fight to subpoena the president was a winning strategy, so what he got was trump answering a limited number of questions in writing.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think y'all are prepared for how badly the media is built to handle a day like tomorrow. Whatever your lowest expectations are, it is time to lower them. This thing is fully cooked.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
When I say y'all I mean me. I mean I am not prepared for how badly this will go and I will *still* be in disbelief when the NYT credulously reports what Barr says as fact.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've seen a lot of this on twitter. Not that Butti isn't above of criticism (I'm skeptical he's going to be a hit with voters of color) and he's no Warren when it comes to policy but takes like what is described above are dumb >_<

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think y'all are prepared for how badly the media is built to handle a day like tomorrow. Whatever your lowest expectations are, it is time to lower them. This thing is fully cooked.

It's going to be a shitshow. With the Sunday morning shows falling over themselves to get as many Trump Republicans on deck as possi le.

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed.

Right now they're all outraged that Barr is holding a press conference before releasing the report and after it's been revealed the DoJ gave the WH a head start. Yet come tomorrow morning, the media will still send push notifications and Breaking News cryons to millions of people spreading Barr's FUD on "spying" or other non-sense. The media won't be able to restrain themselves, especially since it'll take the media probably at least 12-24 hours to digest the Mueller Report, so they'll lean on Barr's narrative to fill air-time. They may lambast what Barr is doing but cable TV will be filled with talking heads debating a narrative that Barr & Trump want them to.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

Right now they're all outraged that Barr is holding a press conference before releasing the report and after it's been revealed the DoJ gave the WH a head start. Yet come tomorrow morning, the media will still send push notifications and Breaking News cryons to millions of people spreading Barr's FUD on "spying" or other non-sense. The media won't be able to restrain themselves, especially since it'll take the media probably at least 12-24 hours to digest the Mueller Report, so they'll lean on Barr's narrative to fill air-time. They may lambast what Barr is doing but cable TV will be filled with talking heads debating a narrative that Barr & Trump want them to.

Half the headlines will just be "Barr says..." without any qualification. They do it every time.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah I've seen a lot of this on twitter. Not that Butti isn't above of criticism (I'm skeptical he's going to be a hit with voters of color) and he's no Warren when it comes to policy but takes like what is described above are dumb >_<

Warren's policy is such a draw for me. She really knows what she's talking about - not just parroting ideas. I'm an ideas/policy guy above all else, and she was my early choice who I would happily vote for. But Pete has grabbed my attention. (Agree with the potential POC problem. If he were any whiter, he'd be a polar bear in a snowstorm.)

But I think he's so impressive. Every time I actually listen to him - podcasts, interviews, news clips, viral videos, I am ALWAYS impressed. First heard him on Pod Save I think, and I was like, who is THIS guy? Was transfixed. Maybe it's just the juxtaposition of his calm intellectual thoughtful approach in a sea of screaming chaos, but he earned my first donation of the cycle. I'll cool on him, and then I'll hear him speak again and am reminded of how smart and thoughtful he is. Plus so human. And that was before I found out he was gay. As an older gay man who still has some issues from the scars of growing up gay in a GOP community during the AIDS-ravaged 80's, I cannot even tell you how inspiring that is.

He and Maddow discussed coming out Monday or Tuesday this week and it was great and so moving. How I wish that was a thing in about 1986 when I was a closeted brainy nerdy kid - - that I could've watched the Rhodes Scholar lesbian with a doctorate from Oxford and the most popular news show on tv interview the Rhodes Scholar military veteran married gay guy legitimately running for POTUS in a major party. And they talked about their gay experiences in prime time and no one blinked an eye. So inspiring. Literally brought tears.

I'm down with most of the candidates, though. Ironically not the two leading the early polling. But most of the others.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know a federal judge could just demand to see things. I have no doubt the full report will get out soon, so it could really backfire on Barr if his redactions are suspect, or even criminal.

A petty thing that annoys me about Barr is that he'll obviously be played by John Goodman, and I like Goodman too much to want to see him play such a shitheel.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't know a federal judge could just demand to see things. I have no doubt the full report will get out soon, so it could really backfire on Barr if his redactions are suspect, or even criminal.

A petty thing that annoys me about Barr is that he'll obviously be played by John Goodman, and I like Goodman too much to want to see him play such a shitheel.

He's not just a judge demanding to see things, he's handing the FOIA requests so it's relevant.

Agreed on Goodman.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I turned on MSNBC and there was a picture of Barr wearing a fucking shirt that I own and it was infuriating. Unfortunately all of us fat guys have the same limited pool of places to buy shirts.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anybody who thinks Barr didn't force Mueller to wrap it up is high af.

This should have continued past Stone's trial, Flynn and Gates' sentencings, et al.

Things are still happening but they didn't want more discovery in the (now compromised) report.

Also it's very very likely Mueller expected everything to go to Congress given that's their purview in the Constitution; to determine crimes and misdemeanors under their own guidelines, not criminal court guidelines.

This is why Barr is here. To obstruct. That forum trolls and dumb media outlets gobble his shit up is a travesty. His controlling the narrative and evidence is an unconstitutional power grab.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This should have continued past Stone's trial, Flynn and Gates' sentencings, et al.

Things are still happening but they didn't want more discovery in the (now compromised) report.

Also it's very very likely Mueller expected everything to go to Congress given that's their purview in the Constitution; to determine crimes and misdemeanors under their own guidelines, not criminal court guidelines.

This is why Barr is here. To obstruct. That forum trolls and dumb media outlets gobble his shit up is a travesty. His controlling the narrative and evidence is an unconstitutional power grab.

And Mueller is not going to say a single god damn thing if all this did indeed happen.

Oct 26, 2017

I've been thinking about this lately as well.

In January the Mueller investigation felt like it was 7:15pm at a restaurant just finishing up the entrees with the waiter bringing up the desert cart of Roger Stone pie and Flynn Sundae while perusing a wine list of inauguration donor fraud. Then Bill Barr steps onto the scene and suddenly the clock fast-forwards to 9:59pm and the waiter suddenly hands you the check, starts flipping chairs, and vacuuming five feet from the table. They don't tell you to leave, but clearly they want you to GTFO. I'm guessing the same thing happened to Mueller.

But I think Mueller has had exit strategy planned since early 2018. So when Barr essentially shutdown the investigation, Mueller executed order 66 and handed off all the remaining investigations to US State attorneys.

One question I hope gets answered tomorrow is when did Mueller decide not to interview Trump face-to-face? A face-to-face interview or even a written interview would be needed to get an idea of his intent with obstruction of justice. But no interview on obstruction of justice was conducted, so I would assume Mueller would have to explain why such an obvious step wasn't taken. Going by public reports I know Trump's lawyers were still tap-dancing on the idea of doing a sitdown or follow-up written interview early last fall. But as soon as Matt Whitaker got put in place it seems almost immediately Trump's lawyers proclaimed they were done doing interviews for Mueller. Supposedly Mueller was never denied a formal request by the AG during the investigation but it's also possible Mueller could read the tea leafs and knew Whitaker/Barr would never sign off on it.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017

Tbqh it looks a lot like the Herman Cain, Michelle Bachman flavor of the month stuff Republicans were doing in 2012.

leder

Oct 25, 2017

My personal theory is that Mueller's team saw what was coming and spun off everything to state AGs and DAs as fast as they could.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Takes that handwaves away the want for the betterment of democrats is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.