• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Attempted Saturday night massacre.

The report also gives so much information regarding the high turnover at the White House. Almost all of the people in the report are no longer there.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
This report is a package with a bow on it for Congress to begin impeachment proceedings. It's actually insane how much Barr mischaracterized it.

The Senate GOP is completely bankrupt though. I dunno, I don't understand why we have the mechanism if we don't use it this circumstance.

I honestly don't necessarily trust the electorate or that trump won't somehow rig this in his favor given the lengths he went to in 2016.

And I don't think continued investigations and impeachment in the house help trump. His base isn't large enough to win and I think he's completely lost most of the independents and will continue to lose what's left of them he had before.
Same here. Putting him and the various players on the stand will sink him. He won't resist lying to make himself look good and he will be furious at people throwing him and his family under the bus left and right.

Separately, as I understand it once impeachment proceedings are initiated, there won't be be any of this waffling on subpoenas and requests for records as it is a clear constitutional right of Congress.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. Putting him and the various players on the stand will sink him. He won't resist lying to make himself look good and he will be furious at people throwing him and his family under the bus left and right.

Separately, as I understand it once impeachment proceedings are initiated, there won't be be any of this waffling on subpoenas and requests for records as it is a clear constitutional right of Congress.

Yeah, it's a trial. You can be jailed for ignoring lawful subpoenas there, no different than ignoring them from any criminal proceeding.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Does the report go into how George Papadopoulos knew about the Russian hacking prior to the release of the emails?

(I forget if we know this already...)

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing preventing Barr from blocking SDNY investigations, since they are federal.

Barr blocking a SDNY investigation would cause a riot, plus I don't think Barr's going to remain for long after his recent behaviour.
Also, a SDNY indictment would add additional legitimacy to any impeachment proceedings given the timing of the impeachment. Obviously the SDNY isn't on the Dems political timeline so it becomes a matter of convenience

I guess what I'm trying to say is do Dems want an avalanche of things to impeach or they want to focus on one specific issue.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So, about the Barr press conference not being an attempt to spin the report. Guess my gut feeling was on the money there.

This won't move the needle but it's good to see the hard evidence of Trump's obstruction of justice in black and white.

He broke the law in office. Multiple. Times.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D4dCPnXW0AAEKMv.jpg

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was a massive own-goal to have Barr put out that summary. The report still got had to come out anyway, and now Barr (who had actually gone into his hearings with the same ~bipartisan~ branding that a lot of AGs hope for) is just perma-branded a stooge. Trump only got like, what, a month out of him before he lost all credibility with the media?
Just the press conference this morning was an own-goal. It makes him look so much worse than if he had let his summary last month stand as his final statement on the report. The press conference reeks of desperation now.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Based on responses to the Mueller report, I expect the trump approval rating will remain basically unchanged.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I used to find Glenn admirable as well, but I haven't for several years now. I'm not sure what happened, but he is morally compromised at this point and isn't worth paying attention to.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
The Democrats have to impeach, threat of failure be damned. The Republic cannot go on without Congress exercising this check on flagrant criminality. 2020 will literally not matter if they abdicate that power, because the future is a President above the law; the result is the same if they fail to convict or if it doesn't happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Shocked to hear Chris Mathews saying the courts will uphold congressional subpoena requests. And Andrea Mitchell saying we won't get certain information (like the erik prince info) unless Congress really dives into this. This report has even convinced the old guard, perhaps the people most sensitive to "partisan politics", that this is the way to go.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to find Glenn admirable as well, but I haven't for several years now. I'm not sure what happened, but he is morally compromised at this point and isn't worth paying attention to.
When your worldview is "I HATE THE UNITED STATES" without much more intellectual backing than that, becoming a Russian lapdog seems to be the obvious end result.

He's also just straight up racist, which is why him, Tracey, Snowden all get along so well with Tucker.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The Democrats have to impeach, threat of failure be damned. The Republic cannot go on without Congress exercising this check on flagrant criminality. 2020 will literally not matter if they abdicate that power, because the future is a President above the law; the result is the same if they fail to convict or if it doesn't happen.

This from the damn rooftops

Status
Not open for further replies.