• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Biden getting a good start as some mix between a fighter and a bridge. A fighter for both black and white communities.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems to be getting ordained by media, big money donors, and now former officials.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the black community is totally lost to Booty, but if he continues to have Buttmentum, he really needs to make that a focus in the coming months before the voting begins.

ImTheresaMay

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Him being gay will 100% be a problem with minority voters but he's also like made 0 appeals to the black or Latino community (despite having a sketchy record on talking about black activists). So it's on him.

I don't think him being gay is an issue with POC voters, it's him being absolute ass on racial issues and doing nothing to help POC during his time as mayor.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Him being gay probably isn't quite as big an issue as some make it seem, but him being gay combined with not exactly being great talking about racial issues so far is 100% a problem.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real: being gay is not as big of an issue as it might be because he's not effeminate. If he were, it would be a problem for a lot of people, even progressive ones.

I know from experience.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
True. Pete hasn't really done outreach to black communities yet though.
If you're a complete nobody with limited resources you usually focus on early states you expect to do reasonably well in, which are Iowa and New Hampshire for him. Now that he's taken off and made some bank I'd presume he'll look to quickly broaden his campaign. Because it's absolutely true he hasn't done enough yet to reach out to communities of color.

I think the National Action Network speech was probably the most notable yet?

Buttigieg used Thursday's address to the civil rights organization, which is helmed by Al Sharpton, to lay out his agenda for promoting racial justice as president.

"It should enhance, not diminish, the value of a good police department when we assert what should go without saying, but in these times must be said clearly and again and again. That black lives matter," Buttigieg said during the address.

He proposed specific action that would address racial disparities in five key areas, including homeownership, business, education, health and criminal justice. He called for the abolition of the death penalty, the right to vote for ex-felons, and "steps toward expungement and reversal of ridiculously long sentences" for drug crimes like possession.

After Buttigieg finished, Sharpton, once an advisor to President Barack Obama, praised him for dealing in "substance, not soundbites."

In response to a question from Sharpton, Buttigieg joined some of his Democratic rivals in endorsing legislation calling for a study on the issue of reparations.

"The conversation about reparations is also one about justice between generations," Buttigieg said, noting that a rising tide does not lift all boats. "You can't tie that boat down, and then wonder why it's getting flooded when the tide is rising," he said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/04/pete-buttigieg-addresses-all-lives-matter-controversy.html

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be. Not with our generation, but with older voters. the fight for gay marriage should be a good indicator as to how people still feel about stuff like that. Im not saying its right, but I do think it will be a bigger deal that you think come time.
Yeah. He's already getting protestors because he's gay. Imagine if he becomes a bigger name it's only going to get worse. The USA is not ready for a gay President. Recent polling has about 70% of people being ok with a gay man running for president so he's already at a disadvantage.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Charlottesville makes a good starting point, and Biden is well-positioned to lean into racial issues without alienating white moderates.

Smart start.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real: being gay is not as big of an issue as it might be because he's not effeminate. If he were, it would be a problem for a lot of people, even progressive ones.
If he ever starts behaving with his husband like straight politicians behave with their spouses, the problems will come on real quick.

The majority's "support" for gay people is an illusion.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
hey yeah this post is late but

They've literally been calling all and sundry an attempted coup for the last 2 1/2 years already so why should I give a shit?

They are going to do this anyway. This is the plan they came up with to counter the report, to use Barr to side with their conspiracy theories and have him turn the tables on the investigators by investigating them for "treason" and a "coup". Barr's 4 page bs was the setup for the plan to roll out followed by Lindsey and others to start echoing the talking point on twitter and on FOX news except the actual report is so damaging that even Barr's preemptive press conference has disapated. We haven't even seen the whole report, the evidence and the counter intelligence report that Mueller prepared with the FBI for congress plus the 12 other investigations that have been handed off to other jurisdictions with the possibility that some might still be about Trump himself commuting other crimes. This is why impeachment has to happen, it's mandated by the constitution other wise why have a congress and its how you squash their counter report plan. Look at Trumps tweets today he's still going forward with this plan, he's out of control and needs to have his brakes cut with a full on open impeachment proceedings, hang the votes around the republicans let them own their decision and also make sure Trump and the GOP know that however they vote Trump will be prosecuted one way or another either now while in office or after he's out of office.

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of wondering. If trump doesn't fire Comey, does a special counsel get appointed? If trump could just have kept himself from obstructing, he'd probably be sitting pretty right now.

I've thought about this.

Remember there was an active FBI investigation into the Trump campaign. If Trump didn't fire Comey, it's almost guaranteed Trump would have kept trying to obstruct the investigation in other ways. Also in early 2017 the intelligence agencies were leaking like a sieve because they were shocked at what was going on, so word would have gotten out either what they were investigating or Trump's efforts to interfere.

One way or another things would have come to a head within 6-9 months where a special council or independent commission would have been put in place because Trump is a bull in a china shop and eventually he'll break something.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
If he ever starts behaving with his husband like straight politicians behave with their spouses, the problems will come on real quick.

The majority's "support" for gay people is an illusion.
No lies detected, sadly. They basically have to be ~~~courageous, inspiring~~~ Ken Dolls and make the marriage sound like a fairytale.

I'm so happy he's here and gaining traction, but I remain eternally wary of straight people and their ostensible support. For some, as you say, it's only while we act the way they think we should. I'd be so sad to see him get burned that way.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
If Biden doesn't outright mention the "very fine people" bit, he will have completely ruined the potential of the launch location. Not that I intend to support him anyway, but still.

Oct 26, 2017
I also hate Biden's slogan of "Take our country back!"

Sounds waaaay too Trumpian for me. Women, black, brown, and LGBTQ people never had the country in the first place and have always been marginalized, so how can we take it back? Seems like that slogan only applies to white working class or white elites...

ImTheresaMay

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Charlottesville makes a good starting point, and Biden is well-positioned to lean into racial issues without alienating white moderates.

Smart start.

Biden is going to get his record on racial issues ripped apart when the candidates go into attack mode.

The whole "creepy Joe" thing was a shot across the bow from the Obama and Clinton people to get Joe to stay out of the race, I wonder what other attacks they have up their sleeve, and that's not even taking into account what Bernie will throw at him.

I think the same thing will happen to Buttigieg, he seems on a roll now because other candidates haven't turned on him.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was known already. But I guess it's good to have it in an official doc.
Chris Steele reportedly told Mueller:

One subject that Steele is believed to have discussed with Mueller's investigators is a memo that he wrote in late November, 2016, after his contract with Fusion had ended. This memo, which did not surface publicly with the others, is shorter than the rest, and is based on one source, described as "a senior Russian official." The official said that he was merely relaying talk circulating in the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but what he'd heard was astonishing: people were saying that the Kremlin had intervened to block Trump's initial choice for Secretary of State, Mitt Romney. (During Romney's run for the White House in 2012, he was notably hawkish on Russia, calling it the single greatest threat to the U.S.) The memo said that the Kremlin, through unspecified channels, had asked Trump to appoint someone who would be prepared to lift Ukraine-related sanctions, and who would coöperate on security issues of interest to Russia, such as the conflict in Syria. If what the source heard was true, then a foreign power was exercising pivotal influence over U.S. foreign policy—and an incoming President.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/12/christopher-steele-the-man-behind-the-trump-dossier

Oct 25, 2017
I would guess that your churchgoing conservative black folks will have more problems with Buttigieg being gay than they do with Biden being racist, partly because Biden has cover from being Obama's VP.

Actually, you can probably take all the adjectives that I put before "folks" out and that sentence would still be generally true.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, you can probably take all the adjectives that I put before "folks" out and that sentence would still be generally true,
They'll dig up photos and video from his wedding and other domestic events, and Donald Trump will start doing "limp wrist" bullshit at rallies to laughter and cheers of support, and that will be that.

Shit is clear as day even from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.