• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
latest
This is an uncanny comparison to point that I feel that someone (either Rowling, Columbus or Branagh) was channeling some Trump here.
OMG The Onion stays amazing:

"It's unconscionable to think that this so-called American would use a vile term like 'place' to describe the shining city upon a hill without so much as mentioning its spacious skies or amber waves of grain."

This is just one of those cases where The Onion beat the GOP to the punch.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Scott Walker saying dumb shit on a conservative talk show about the GOP congressmen who opposed the national emergency declaration got him thrown out of a GOP event , here's a fun one

One prominent Republican said the situation shows just how much things have changed for Walker since he lost in November to Democratic challenger Tony Evers in his bid for a third term.

"He desperately wants to stay relevant, stay the head of the party, the conservative movement," said the Republican, who has to work with both Sensenbrenner and Walker. "And now that he is no longer the governor, with no power base, others can ignore him or take moves to show their disapproval."
Back in February, Walker agreed to fill in for a couple of days on WISN-AM (1130) for conservative talk show host Mark Belling, who had suffered a stroke.
In one 25-minute segment, Walker took up the House's resolution on Trump's emergency declaration on Feb. 26, the same day as the vote.
The former governor was sharply critical of a letter published in the Washington Post by U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis, a North Carolina Republican, explaining why he opposed the president on this issue.
Tillis said he supported building a wall along the southern border but that he couldn't go along with the emergency declaration. He said members of Congress should not go along with an effort to reduce their own power.
"I'm actually shocked," Walker said on the afternoon radio show. "I might have expected this from some of the more liberal, or seemingly liberal, members of the Republican conference out here. But to me, not just that he's against the president on this, but that argument is so fundamentally wrong."
Walker went on to say presidents have issued dozens of emergency declarations over the past four decades and many of them are still in place. He said there was no comparison between what Trump was doing and what President Barack Obama did when he issued an executive order that created a path to citizenship for young undocumented immigrants.

Nowhere in the segment did Walker mention Sensenbrenner by name.
But that didn't matter.
"It was obvious to people in the audience," Sensenbrenner said. He added, "He was criticizing my vote on a very controversial issue."
Walker repeated some of his talking points on the border wall declaration at a "Pints and Politics" event sponsored by the Milwaukee County Republican Party on March 15.
Not long after, Kathy Kiernan, chairwoman of the Republican Party's 5th Congressional District Caucus, called Walker's folks to let them know that he was no longer welcome at their annual meeting at the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel in Milwaukee. She declined to comment when asked about the matter.
Walker responded to the slight by calling Sensenbrenner directly. Walker has been making the rounds at the caucus meetings to thank them for their past support, having already spoken at five of these.
Neither Sensenbrenner nor Walker's spokesman would repeat what was said in their private conversation.
But the tête-à-tête did not ease the tensions.
It didn't help, a source close to the situation said, that Sensenbrenner's GOP caucus has invited Walker to attend its annual meeting each year since 2011, but he never made it. This year, however, Walker invited himself to the event.
Sensenbrenner said the gatherings serve a specific purpose.
"The caucuses in the five districts of the Republican congressmen are basically for the Republican congressmen to end up securing the base that supports them in their election," Sensenbrenner said. "And we all won."
Unlike Walker, it went without saying.
Sensenbrenner said he has made it clear why he opposed the Republican president on the emergency declaration. He said he has voted for every effort to build a physical barrier along the Mexican border, including a 2005 immigration bill that passed the House but not the Senate.
But the national emergency declaration was unnecessary, he said. Trump eventually vetoed the congressional resolution.
"Emergency declarations have been used by presidents since (Jimmy) Carter basically to deal with issues that Congress could not legislate quickly enough to make sure the issue was properly handled," Sensenbrenner said. "This is not one of those."
Many have learned over the years not to get on the wrong side of Sensenbrenner.
Who can forget the time he decided he had heard enough during a House Judiciary Committee hearing on reauthorizing the Patriot Act in 2005? While witnesses shared stories of abuses at Guantánamo Bay, he got up in the middle of the meeting, killed the lights, turned off the microphones, shut down the C-Span feed and marched his fellow Republicans out of the room.
And there were the times he repeatedly banged a gavel and admonished his political opponents to "be respectful" during town hall meetings near Milwaukee in 2017.
"This whole thing is just incredibly petty," said a Walker ally of the decision to keep the ex-governor from speaking at the caucus meeting.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious that Mayor Booty has stolen all of Beto's Young White Male momentum at the moment.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious that Mayor Booty has stolen all of Beto's Young White Male momentum at the moment.
Doesn't really seem to be true. Beto still is getting large turnout at his events. He's also avoiding media and Pete is relishing in it getting booked on every show under the sun because the media is having a love affair with him. In fact he will be on Maddow tonight.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really seem to be true. Beto still is getting large turnout at his events. He's also avoiding media and Pete is relishing in it getting booked on every show under the sun because the media is having a love affair with him. In fact he will be on Maddow tonight.

Who says Bernie and Beto don't have things in common?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I should have clarified, the media momentum is what I meant. But he's got buttmentum in the polls too, getting higher than Beto in several recently.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should have clarified, the media momentum is what I meant. But he's got buttmentum in the polls too, getting higher than Beto in several recently.
The polls are basically name recognition at this point so when 1 candidate is getting all the media attention that's going to happen. It will be interesting to see if that media love he's getting now turns into long term success in the primaries. I think he has a real shot of out raising Beto and Bernie this quarter if he keeps getting attention. His $1 million raised in a few hours after announcing yesterday was a strong statement

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Here we fucking gooooooooooooo y'all

Edit: Only $18k to charity in 2018 on $561k in income FUCK YOU

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Did any state actually pass a law requiring disclosing tax returns in order to appear on a primary ballot? Wondering if Weld might actually chalk up a few wins that way.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its me but I will give candidates props for giving to charities but I'm not going to dock them points for not giving a lot as long as they've been fighting for the poor, working class, underprivileged people, etc. That obviously describes Bernie so...shrug?

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In 2018, the Sanders donated 3.4 percent of their adjusted gross income to charity. Overall, their charitable giving does not account for additional charitable proceeds from one of Sanders' books, The Speech, which are donated directly to charity. The Sanders do not take a tax deduction for those contributions, so they do not show up on their tax returns. The Sanders' donations have gone primarily to senior centers, low-income organizations, educational entities, and environmental and housing advocacy groups.

Some of the charity isn't on his tax returns

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its me but I will give candidates props for giving to charities but I'm not going to dock them points for not giving a lot as long as they've been fighting for the poor, working class, underprivileged people, etc. That obviously describes Bernie so...shrug?
Nonsense, doing things doesn't matter, donating a nebulous sum of capital towards an organization that likely isn't making any real substantive difference compared to direct action is clearly more important.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Charity is also not a substitute for actual structural change to address things like poverty, hunger, and so on. I agree, I would much rather have a candidate who had the right policy stances but wasn't charitable personally versus someone who gave freely to charity but didn't have those same stances.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, and the "Notre Dame fire seems awfully suspicious, I'm just asking questions" takes by prominent "conservatives" begin, right on schedule.

Oct 28, 2017
Charity is also not a substitute for actual structural change to address things like poverty, hunger, and so on. I agree, I would much rather have a candidate who had the right policy stances but wasn't charitable personally versus someone who gave freely to charity but didn't have those same stances.

There was a statement I read somewhere that wealthy charity donors only do so as an effort to absolve the sins of their exploits.

Now, I can't note the motive of all charity donors and workers but its also undeniably true that the obscenely wealthy didn't get where they are without stepping on some toes.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the Fox News town hall is on?

Seems legit.

Nonsense, doing things doesn't matter, donating a nebulous sum of capital towards an organization that likely isn't making any real substantive difference compared to direct action is clearly more important.
This would only check out if Bernard's wife and stepson weren't part of a sketchy charity themselves in the recent past that spent over 20% of its income on paying Bernard's stepson.

So spare me, Berniebros who don't even post in this thread.

Based on some of the replies here Bill Gates would be the most deserving Presidential Candidate of all time.
I didn't say anything of the sort. Don't put words in my mouth.

Y'all are really trying to get on my ignore list aren't you

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems legit.

This would only check out if Bernard's wife and stepson weren't part of a sketchy charity themselves in the recent past that spent over 20% of its income on paying Bernard's stepson.

So spare me, Berniebros who don't even post in this thread.

I didn't say anything of the sort. Don't put words in my mouth.

Y'all are really trying to get on my ignore list aren't you
I need to post in this thread religiously to have an opinion on something?

Good lord.

The point, is that Bernie Sanders falls perfectly in line with general population charitable income donated.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2016/11/27/the-average-americans-charitable-donations-how-do.aspx

2.5-3% is the average. This is a non-issue. Just something else to harp on because the taxes ended up not being your profound "gotcha" moment.
This is childish.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2016/11/27/the-average-americans-charitable-donations-how-do.aspx

The average charitable donation is 2.5-3%

This is a non-story, I popped in because I had an opinion to share.

This is a political thread, I have a political belief.

Get over it. This is a discussion forum, we discuss things.
The average person makes well under $561k in income.

Putting you on ignore. Will be doing the same to all Bernardbros who want to come in here and only contribute to defend Bernard without providing anything else substantive to this community.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The average person makes well under $561k in income.

Putting you on ignore. Will be doing the same to all Bernardbros who want to come in here and only contribute to defend Bernard without providing anything else substantive to this community.
That's the average donation overall meaning for those with less income they still contribute 2-3%

Status
Not open for further replies.