• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Reading these live tweets of the Paul Ryan interview are incredible. He's still completely frightened to criticize trump.

Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate on this imprisoning thing? I have not really heard about it.

I'm talking about Bernie's support for the Crime Bill of 1994 that came up quite a bit the last time we did this primaries thing because of Clinton support for it (and I mean Bill and Hillary both).

We've gone around and around on it, but my stance is that though people are right that black communities were asking for something to be done about community violence, they did not say, "Oh, just throw a bunch of black folks in jail and make laws more draconian to target black folks, and it'll be all good."

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Probably referring to the fact he voted for the 1994 crime bill much like Biden did.
I'm talking about Bernie's support for the Crime Bill of 1994 that came up quite a bit the last time we did this primaries thing because of Clinton support for it (and I mean Bill and Hillary both).

We've gone around and around on it, but my stance is that though people are right that black communities were asking for something to be done about community violence, they did not say, "Oh, just throw a bunch of black folks in jail and make laws more draconian to target black folks, and it'll be all good."

Right, but Bernie is absolutely against locking people (of all colors) up.

Vox has a great article explaining it in 2016. He explains at the time that
I have a number of serious problems with the crime bill, but one part of it that I vigorously support is the Violence Against Women Act. We urgently need the $1.8 billion in this bill to combat the epidemic of violence against women on the streets and in the homes of America.

And he's had multiple impassioned speeches against retributive punishment leading to mass incarceration, so I'm confused how someone can say "Bernie definitely doesn't have disdain for imprisoning as many black folks as possible, though. That's for damn sure. "

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Who's to say Warren isn't experiencing a momentary bump that will dissipate if she has a poor debate showing? We're all just assuming that Biden will hopefully bomb but seem to think that Warren couldn't possibly flub it.
I stopped myself from making a snide remark when the first poll showed Warren ahead of Bernie that she was peaking to early. Mostly because the first primary is far fucking out I have no idea wth happens from here

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
She's already tainted.
Yes, but she'll claim to have been an ~~~adult in the room~~~, and she's also fortunate that she had a job that didn't require much daily interaction with the rest of the administration or get that much attention. She can play the "I just kept my head down and tried to help the American people blah blah blah" card. Though it might not work, she'll play it.

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but Bernie is absolutely against locking people (of all colors) up.

Vox has a great article explaining it in 2016. He explains at the time that

And he's had multiple impassioned speeches against retributive punishment leading to mass incarceration, so I'm confused how someone can say "Bernie definitely doesn't have disdain for imprisoning as many black folks as possible, though. That's for damn sure. "

Right, but I'm confused by how you can be confused. After all, he did vote for 10B in more prison construction to hold all those black folks that he voted to put in prison - and he did vote to put them in prison just as Joe Biden did. He talks the talk - sometimes, I mean, as other times he indicates that it's the urbans who use guns wrong and not the fine, largely white people of Vermont - but when has he ever backed it up? And try to pull out something post-Civil Rights Era to use here in your response.

I don't think that Sanders's inability to talk about racial justice divorced from his same economic pabulum about how reducing income inequality is the answer to issues of racial justice, combined with his vote on the Crime Bill and his constant inability to talk about race intelligently, are countered at all by a Vox article that tries to soften criticism of Sanders and a few speeches that do nothing to change the fact that he voted for that same massive incaraceration bill and also voted to build more prisons to house the mostly-black-and-brown incarcerated within.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Warrens electability among Independents scares the hell out of me. How does she improve there? Seriously someone give me a path to how the legions of stupid as shit milquetoast Independents scared of a strong confident women under siege by Trumpian propaganda can get swayed her way?

Because the youth vote isn't going to save her any more than it will save Bernie, but at least Bernie has inroads with Independents.
What's funny is all the reasons Bernie has inroads with Independents are the same reasons I most frequently hear about how bad Bernie is around here. The more you attach your identity to the Democratic Party, the harder it's going to be to get anyone who doesn't identify themselves as a Democrat.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. The impact would be immediate and significant. Paying the absolute minimum every month costs me nearly 1/4 of my pay. It would be fucking huge for me not to have to pay that.

... how?

What kind of repayment plan did you pick?

Student Loans need two changes:

1.) Interest Rate should be 0%.
2.) Income Based Repayment should be the default, and sunset earlier for specific jobs like school teacher.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
What's funny is all the reasons Bernie has inroads with Independents are the same reasons I most frequently hear about how bad Bernie is around here. The more you attach your identity to the Democratic Party, the harder it's going to be to get anyone who doesn't identify themselves as a Democrat.

Nominees need both to win elections, where this comes as hinderance to Bernie is that many in his prime base are unreliable voters and make it harder for him to get genuine Dems on board. He's no Barack Obama.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
God I'm very worried about how the scotus will rule about the consensus question
Don't worry about it.

There's an infinitesimal chance that they'll delay a ruling because of new evidence; otherwise, it will come down soon as a 5-4 decision affirming the right of the administration to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

"Worry" implies that there may still be hope. There is not.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Warning: Long Post

Looking over those documents by the transition team for 4 hours, they use legitimate news sources with the exception of KT McFarland's which uses NY Post from her 2006 Senate run, Washington TImes for David Clarke, and Laura Ingraham, you what it is

I've compiled all the good bits from there

• Rudy's a walking red flag with the shit from Bernard Kerik
  • Trump team thinks Dan Coats working for King & Spalding is a red flag, his social media, and his rumored white supremacy is a "political vulnerability"
  • Team thinks Robert Lighthizer donating to Levin, Hollings, and Cardin are red flags alongside his lobbyist ties with Skadden's PAC
  • Team thinks KT McFarland's senate run and her work with Kissinger and Reagan admin being disputed are red flags, her recording with Petraeus was "general controversy"
  • Don McGahn's effort to neuter the FEC is a red flag, that's fucking weird, Team was also concerned about his work Tom DeLay's ARMPAC that led to DeLay's indictment and resignation. There was the time when he was NRCC's general counsel during the NRCC's accounting scandal broke out in 2008.
  • Linda McMahon is the most interesting since she has a lot of red flags mostly stemming from Vince screwing around in WWF/E including the steroids trial and Benoit incident, her 2010 senate run and donating to Rahm Emanuel. It's clear that the vetting team were clearly marks in the wrestling business.
  • Mnuchin's red flags was OneWest and his investment in Relativity before they went bankrupt
  • Mulvaney's red flag was him shitting on Donald during the primary
  • Sonny Perdue's red flags was his business and family conflicts of interest when he was governor
  • Rick Perry has a lot of shit but no red flags not even his 2014 indictment, his immigration reform, his effort for the Trans-Texas Corridor, or him shitting on Trump was a red flag
  • Petraeus opposing torture is a red flag is some Bush level hilarity alongside his work at KKR
  • Team was concerned about Tom Price's ethics investigation and his leadership at House Budget with fiscal and defense hawks
  • Pruitt's relationship with Devon Energy and his lawsuits against the EPA when he was Oklahoma AG was a red flag
  • Wilbur Ross' conflicts of interest with foreign governments, his past business with Donald, SEC fines, and his coal company during the Sago mine explosion are all red flags. Taxing the wealthy is a "controversial policy stance"
  • Tillerson's Russian ties, banning gay scouts when he was Boy Scouts president, and refusing to add sexual orientation to Exxon's EEOC statement are red flags
  • Team was concerned about Seema Verma's consulting firm receiving $3.5 million in contracts from Indiana while she was working on Pence's medicaid expansion at the same time but not a red flag.
  • They definitely didn't vet Zinke's work with the Whitefish land deal that was going on before being appointed that led to his resignation. Zinke saying Trump shouldn't attack the Khan family and not making the Taiwan phone call is a red flag.
  • David Clarke's Twitter feed and work in Milwaukee are red flags. His response to Axios is some Trump level garbage
  • Team was concerned about Tulsi's gun control legislation, this was before her mess with Assad
  • Toby Cosgrove (Cleveland Clinic CEO until 2017) was considered for VA Director (he was offered the spot back in 2014), defending Medicaid Expansion and supporting Theranos was a red flag
  • Pete Hegseth calling post election protesters anti-Semitic and Communists on Twitter and calls BLM violence "real violence" is a red flag when he was considered for VA director.
  • Pat McCrory was considered for Energy Secretary which would've been a fucking disaster considering his conflicts of interest and his scandal with Duke Energy. His work with HB2, 72 hour waiting period for an abortion, his soap to mouth on Trump comment, and his refusal to concede to Roy Cooper were red flags.
  • Marsha Blackburn was also considered for Energy Secretary, but also Labor Secretary, her support for Trump's Muslim ban was a red flag (huh?), climate denial and not believing the theory of evolution was also red flags. They were also concerned about the 2008 FEC complaint that Blackburn violated campaign finance laws would rise back up and when she led the Planned Parenthood investigative panel when Boehner appointed her in 2015.
  • Ingraham was considered for Press Secretary, a walking red flag. They were also concerned about the Nazi Salute back at the RNC convention
  • Team thought that Kris Kobach's association with white supremacy was a "political vulnerability" and not a fucking red flag!
  • Team also thought the same for Chris Christie this time Bridgegate was a "political vulnerability" including his lavish taxpayer spending and lobbying ties. He was even considered for Secretary of State which he has no experience in! He said to Axios that Kushner pushed him out of transition chair most likely due to Christie prosecuted Charles Kushner when he was U.S. Attorney for New Jersey for Bush admin. He claimed that Steve Bannon told him that.

• They were concerned about Mike Rogers' leadership at NSA and carried him over anyways

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
This Axios article is why I mention MeK, Purdue Pharma, Ukrainian Oligarchs, and the NY FBI Field Office every time Giuliani's name comes up and people are like "HE SO DUMB". There's a reason he acts dumb.

Still going to be raided for lawyer money to get flunkies to not flip, plus Parscale's involved and MAGATs buy the shitty gear anyways.

Nikki Haley has a future as the face of the "new young and hip" GOP that will attempt to emerge from the wreckage of Trump. Basically another attempt at what they tried to do with Rubio except more likely to work this time. Basically she wouldn't touch the current administration again with a 12 foot poll.

On Earth-3, yah. Here, she's another loser touched by Individual-1 and drained of all dignity, respect, and her soul.

Reading these live tweets of the Paul Ryan interview are incredible. He's still completely frightened to criticize trump.

"This is how we know we're a real family here."

Albert

Oct 25, 2017

T6GJy93.gif

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but I'm confused by how you can be confused. After all, he did vote for 10B in more prison construction to hold all those black folks that he voted to put in prison - and he did vote to put them in prison just as Joe Biden did. He talks the talk - sometimes, I mean, as other times he indicates that it's the urbans who use guns wrong and not the fine, largely white people of Vermont - but when has he ever backed it up? And try to pull out something post-Civil Rights Era to use here in your response.

I don't think that Sanders's inability to talk about racial justice divorced from his same economic pabulum about how reducing income inequality is the answer to issues of racial justice, combined with his vote on the Crime Bill and his constant inability to talk about race intelligently, are countered at all by a Vox article that tries to soften criticism of Sanders and a few speeches that do nothing to change the fact that he voted for that same massive incaraceration bill and also voted to build more prisons to house the mostly-black-and-brown incarcerated within.
Somehow I don't think having overcrowded prisons is the right thing. The answer to that should be to reduce prison populations but by 1994 incarceration rates were already exteremely high. If there has to be prisoners then they definitely should be adequately funded and have humane conditions. Voting for the amendment is not as negative as you imply.

I'm not really interested in moving the goal post from your original quote to defending Bernie's sometimes tone-deaf ignorant responses. He's capable of learning and that's a good thing.

"Bernie definitely doesn't have disdain for imprisoning as many black folks as possible, though. That's for damn sure."
I just don't know how 'for damn sure' he 'definitely doesn't have disdain.'
Your wording implies that he secretly wanted to imprison black folks and that's something I can't reconcile.
I was confused because I thought there something egregious that I had missed.

His explanation for the 1994 crime bill is something people can either take him at his word, or not.

It boils down to 'can Bernie have disdain for mass incarceration while voting for something that ultimately increases it?'

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Crenshaw will be the next GOP nominee. He'll probably team up with Haley. She didn't quit his admin to rejoin it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Crenshaw is too stupid to go anywhere, and he isn't particularly anything on the microphone.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
On Earth-3, yah. Here, she's another loser touched by Individual-1 and drained of all dignity, respect, and her soul.

Give it 4 to 8 years reworking her image with the party, and she'll be good for the next GOP VP. She's not tied to Trump like someone like Bannon was.

Speaking of Bannon, will he try to run for president down the line, inspired by Trump's success? I cringe at that thought.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Give it 4 to 8 years reworking her image with the party, and she'll be good for the next GOP VP. She's not tied to Trump like someone like Bannon was.

Speaking of Bannon, will he try to run for president down the line, inspired by Trump's success? I cringe at that thought.

Its the moderation and *demographics* that I'd say slam her. On Earth-3 it'd be a clincher, here she's not grunting, white, male, and nihilistic enough to survive a New 20s GOP primary in SC.

Olde Ocelot will do no such thing. He's a manipulator behind the scenes (despite his sugar daddy bailing out due to IRS comin' a knockin' and Italy running him off from his Bond Villian Lair).

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't see this going anywhere:

He's less charismatic than Rubio, Cruz, Carson, Trump, etc. and talking some galaxy brain shit.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
if Stacey doesn't announce for senate in a week I'm driving to Georgia and pulling one of Carters grandchildren off the peanut farm

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sanders knows you can't just... magically cancel debt, right? That's Trump levels of stupid. But hey, at least he's going to pay for it so I can't complain much. This is still really not a winning issue outside of, well, people with student debt, though. It would be seriously divisive and hard to ever pass.

Since almost all student loans are issued by the federal government the debt can be cancelled easier than if it was private debt (less than 10% of student loans are issued by private corporations), the government may still need to pay those who guarantee the loans or 'manage' the loans as was exemplified by a poster earlier, as these are often private corporations. Federal loans can absolutely be unilaterally canceled.

I find it interesting that people think this is outside of the realm of possibility to the extent that the need of magic is invoked, considering the how much in the realm of imagination the bailout of banks was...

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I find it interesting that people think this is outside of the realm of possibility to the extent that the need of magic is invoked, considering the how much in the realm of imagination the bailout of banks was...

Sadly, there is a lot more motivation to get people and corporations to support bailing out banks than college students. :(

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean technically that's all they would do yes. In fact most student loan debt started out owned by the Government anyways. The Government fucks over the Students by then selling the debt to 3rd parties. When I got my loans it was fully from the Government and handled by them when I went into repayment then they sold it to a 3rd party probably for a fraction of what the Government was owed at the time.

That is part of why Student Loan debt is the way it is.

are you in the US? I know this (selling public student debt to private investors) has been done in the UK but was under the impression that this option is only being 'evaluated' here in the US.

or are you talking about the fact that government has outsourced the managing of said debt to private firms, who collect the debt, manage the loans etc - ie they act as 'loan servicer'.

Alternatively your debt might be rolled into student loan asset-backed securities (slabs) which are sold as commodities - but here your loan would still be backed by the state...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry about it.

There's an infinitesimal chance that they'll delay a ruling because of new evidence; otherwise, it will come down soon as a 5-4 decision affirming the right of the administration to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

"Worry" implies that there may still be hope. There is not.

What do we even do?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
  • Ingraham was considered for Press Secretary, a walking red flag. They were also concerned about the Nazi Salute back at the RNC convention

Even they fucking knew it was a Nazi salute.
Bunches of "Liberals": "You all are really reaching. She's just waving."

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I've never seen a Democratic candidate implode this fast before. I just hope Biden drops out soon.
Tulsi Gabbard's campaign when it came out she worked for an anti-gay group that support conversion therapy?

Also arguably Joe Biden in 1988.

Does Howard Dean's 2004 yell count?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Biden imploding!!!!

*biden leads by 12*

He's not Teflon. He just hasn't done anything 85% of his base cares about. I think this son vs boy debate is interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.