• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's a new tax on 200k+ (non military family) taxpayers. This is definitely completely different than what has been described by the media. I know twitter folks just superficially take the headline, so it was really irresponsible for journalists to make it about a 'tax' on everyone.

Eh, I think he's being sneakier than that.

• This modest tax would be implemented on a progressive basis, with taxpayers who make over $200,000 per year (adjusted gross income) paying $1,000 in a new tax for each war.
That tells me that the top is $1000. It's for everyone, just lower on lower incomes.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
tbh the only real whiff is Bullock if he doesn't run in Montana. For all the belly-aching over Beto and Abrams, while I do think they'd be upgrades we already have decent candidates running in Texas and Georgia.

Hegar is not a great candidate.

The Beto effect was felt big in all the Texas suburbs that flipped blue in 2018 thanks to downballot voting. Beto is a fool for running for President. He had a real shot at the senate and more importantly had a real shot of making Texas blue. Selfish.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you think he can win a statewide TX election during a Trump year, you're basically saying he can win TX during a presidential election. So I don't get the logic, because the latter would pull the senate and 38 electoral votes.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So it's a new tax on 200k+ (non military family) taxpayers. This is definitely completely different than what has been described by the media. I know twitter folks just superficially take the headline, so it was really irresponsible for journalists to make it about a 'tax' on everyone.

Still no thanks.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

• This modest tax would be implemented on a progressive basis, with taxpayers who make over $200,000 per year (adjusted gross income) paying $1,000 in a new tax for each war.
That tells me that the top is $1000. It's for everyone, just lower on lower incomes.

Hm.
Having a cap doesn't seem very progessive to me.

So nevermind, everyone continue to make fun of the plan.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Because he is not going to win the primaries.
Trump, Carter, Kennedy, and Clinton were polling at these numbers or lower in June, so this kind of shot-calling doesn't make sense to me (altho to be fair they didn't suggest a 'war tax' either...); besides that, none of the other candidates have a better shot at beating Trump in TX, so Beto would lose senate anyway. I'm not sure where the morality play comes from in a lost cause.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
His site says the tax will be implemented on a progressive basis. If the only bracket paying the tax was the >$200K one, no need to call it progressive. So he's hiding some details on that page. The media are all reporting the same thing, that people earning under $30K would pay $25.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I think it boils down to "they have national aspirations, and also think they'd lose." It's probably why Beto isn't running. He's definitely DOA if he loses two senate races.
I don't get why losing two senate races is worse than losing a senate race then a presidential race

He isn't going to win the primary. So, what's his future after. He had a better chance of winning the senate running again than winning a dem primary

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

I can't believe how bad of an idea this is goddamn.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why losing two senate races is worse than losing a senate race then a presidential race

He isn't going to win the primary. So, what's his future after. He had a better chance of winning the senate running again than winning a dem primary

Losing a primary or two isn't a death sentence. Look at the current leader of the Dem Primary and his record :)

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
I would expect this to be bigger news and have more attention, but apparently people don't care.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect this to be bigger news and have more attention, but apparently people don't care.

No because we knew he did this with other women before he was elected, and he still got elected.

Americans in general don't give a shit about women and their rights as long as they got theirs.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the student loan debate, and the concept of how it only makes sense if you completely reform how college is approached from a cost/spending viewpoint. It really does seem that large, structural reforms in the US are pretty much stunted by our delegation of so much infrastructure and power to the states.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No because we knew he did this with other women before he was elected, and he still got elected.

Americans in general don't give a shit about women and their rights as long as they got theirs.

Let me go a step further and agree that his followers love the idea of women being raped and they also want brown people murdered at the boarder. They are sick in the head. 35% of America is totally evil. They call themselves Christians too.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

He won after being caught on tape boasting about sexually assaulting women., another accusation is nothing to his base. In fact I've already seen these clowns saying stuff like "election season is upon us" and "democrats didn't learn from Kavanaugh" etc. in defense of these allegations. It really is quite unreal the mental gymnastics these people do to support this piece of garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

The only people who care are the ones who are not shocked by the fact that the President is a rapist, so it's not getting much traction compared to, say, children being put in concentration camps (which also is not getting the media coverage it deserves). The media is pushing the primary debates and warmongering for Iran over everything else right now.

Half the country probably considers him a better person for raping a woman to boot

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Anything anyone claims the President did is a lie to Trump supporters. It has no value if it has no legal consequence. They've suspended disbelief or are willfully ignorant or are simply enablers.

Anyway, here's Beto trying to sell his War Tax, using continued issues with Agent Orange exposure and Golf War syndrome as examples.

Full interview here.

Last edited:

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Can you even IMAGINE how much news coverage and breathless non-stop commentary about disgracing the office or whatever if Obama had even one credible accusation, let alone 22?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I at least like the sentiment of a war tax creating political costs to go to war, but I worry about it working like that in practice.

Edit: Assuming that is a major reason for Beto to want one. Guess that might be too optimistic.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Can you even IMAGINE how much news coverage and breathless non-stop commentary about disgracing the office or whatever if Obama had even one credible accusation, let alone 22?
Double standards everywhere. Remember when Michelle went sleeveless? Outrage. When Melania worked in the US illegally and posed naked, no problem.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
And LOL at someone like John Bolton being deterred by a politically unpopular tax. He'd eat the cost to go adventuring in the Middle East or say it was worth it to protect freedom or some shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Obama got more flack from the media for dijon mustard than he did for his part in drone strikes and family separations. For shit that actually mattered, they didn't really care. They just wanted to rip on the black president for stuff their viewers care about. Like a fucking beige suit.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@kylegriffin1
The Treasury Department's internal watchdog has agreed to look into why designs of a new $20 bill featuring Harriet Tubman will not be unveiled next year.https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/24/us/politics/Harriet-Tubman-20-bill.html …
15:00 - 24 Jun 2019

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
I at least like the sentiment of a war tax creating political costs to go to war, but I worry about it working like that in practice.

Edit: Assuming that is a major reason for Beto to want one. Guess that might be too optimistic.
In the full interview, he wants it to be a deterrent to war. He says that he's against the blank checks for wars and says that the woman who voted against giving up congressional power to go to war after 9/11 was "prescient," and he'd like to return the power to congress. He also wants to make sure if we do go to war, vets are covered for life, so when medical issues crop up 30-40 years later, they'll be covered. It'll never get passed, especially with that tax chart as is, but knowing where he's coming from has me a bit warmed up to it.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It'd never pass in a billion years.
Maybe I should say I like that Beto might be signaling that he thinks war abroad/butter at home is a problem, but Im not sure how I feel his signaling that the populace at large is who should be on the hook for problems like that, or that flat taxes is the answer for anything in America right now.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should say I like that Beto might be signaling that he thinks war abroad/butter at home is a problem, but Im not sure how I feel his signaling that the populace at large is who should be on the hook through flat taxes.
This wouldn't be read as antiwar by most, but as a "military people deserve more than you" thing. My first thought when seeing it was Starship Troopers. Only citizens have rights, service equals citizenship.

I know he probably doesn't mean it that way, but at a glance that's how it reads.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
In the full interview, he wants it to be a deterrent to war. He says that he's against the blank checks for wars and says that the woman who voted against giving up congressional power to go to war after 9/11 was "prescient," and he'd like to return the power to congress. He also wants to make sure if we do go to war, vets are covered for life, so when medical issues crop up 30-40 years later, they'll be covered. It'll never get passed, especially with that tax chart as is, but knowing where he's coming from has me a bit warmed up to it.

How about we implement universal health care and cover everybody under that instead of requiring you to get hurt in a war.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Yeah, anti war messages seem to be lacking in this field, so it's nice to see someone other than Bernie say something.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm just kinda vaguely dispirited because of the Grundy decision, because it likely means even if Warren or Bernie wins, the Supreme Court will short circuit regulation in general the moment they have a good case and since not all regulation will end, it'll be very difficult to get the idea how terrible it is beyond the usual partisan blinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.