• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Once the sparks die down a bit, this has a chance of biting him in the ass.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Castro's probably more paper thin in terms of character than even Tulsi. The direct attacks on Beto and his attack on 1325 feel... short-sighted zingers. Tulsi's tear-down on Ryan was actually a proper tear-down but the Castro slice into Beto was honestly just preying on a man stunned in the spotlight and arguably bad policy.

Oct 27, 2017
O'donnell just went in on the Bush 04 campaign attacks on Kerry (swiftboating) and Wallace (who was a part of that subsequent admin) backed away from it hard.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but like Beto said, it's a small thing. It's up to presidential discretion. This isn't the linchpin of immigration reform. You're not going to beat Trump advocating open borders.

"[Beto]'s can actually become law."

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Claire "those crazy democrats" Mc isn't exactly some shining beacon of knowledge.
That's fair, but she said stuff like Beto's has actually passed. Ultimately, go with what you feel is best, but I think Beto's position is far more defensible than Castro's. Just don't be surprised if Texas is still 2% for Castro come Super Tuesday.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The issue isn't 1325, its how Castro used it as a cudgel and it really felt hollow. its a zinger of a thing to beat Beto with because it wasn't part of his immigration policy to be specifically repealed, but repealing 1325 isn't a policy either. At least not much of one but it was used as a very 'big tool' by Castro on Beto. If you have a good, new immigration policy to break the broken system of today, 1325 can be removed naturally.

When Tulsi tore down Ryan, its because (a.) Ryan is a moron spouting incorrect garbage, and (b.) she offers goals/objectives/targets on a broader scale.

Castro's "score" can completely evaporate under closer inspection, Tulsi's got more to worry about if people actually pay attention to the shit she's said and her defense of murdering children with gas.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, Lee Fang going after the next breakout person who might pose a threat to Bernie. Shocking.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the interest in Tulsi. Outside of humiliating Tim Ryan, she wasn't remarkable.

Fuck. I'll take Biden over her pls. kthx.

Chart was during the debates, that was one of the biggest moments for her. I don't know why people on the right like her so much(I'm mostly referring to the ones that don't know her. I think most that do, they know that she is the most conservative out of the bunch), once debates start getting smaller, more specific policy questions start to get pointed towards her, and assuming she is still in the race she will either show how conservative or liberal she actually is, none of which will actually benefit her. Mainly because there are much better candidates out there regardless which way she goes. Basically, she doesn't stand out outside her calling back to her military service.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Warren was solid as a rock and did what she needed to do.

Beto's done and THANK GOD. Castro should've run for TX Senate.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just be a parliamentary system and have the party pick someone and get this over with in a week. After all this nonsense they'll probably get who they want anyway

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Castro's probably more paper thin in terms of character than even Tulsi. The direct attacks on Beto and his attack on 1325 feel... short-sighted zingers. Tulsi's tear-down on Ryan was actually a proper tear-down but the Castro slice into Beto was honestly just preying on a man stunned in the spotlight and arguably bad policy.
Yeah I see Castro and Booker as good show people but you look at their record and it looks much worse.
Can we just be a parliamentary system and have the party pick someone and get this over with in a week. After all this nonsense they'll probably get who they want anyway
Ummm what?... hard pass.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
My general thoughts -

Horse race stuff: Warren, Castro/Booker as general winners.

Okay, done with that.

More substantive stuff: this debate was really good at getting 10 people to mostly just push a lot of Democratic policy into the public's face. Most of our most pressing issues got a light shone on them with most candidates giving as substantive an answer as they could given the time constraints and a couple odd moments of also-rans jockeying to be seen. I don't think anyone is really changing their lanes regarding polling (I expect Castro and Booker to see minor bumps depending on tomorrow's second round), but at the risk of many answers seeming similar or with minor variations this is a chance for a lot of people who haven't been paying attention to get an idea of where the party is at and where it wants to head with climate change, immigration, healthcare, etc.

I'll consider that a plus any time.

Oct 25, 2017
Every election my grandmother laments that the parties don't do backroom deals to pick the nominee. I can't think of the exact quote (or the candidate from the 40s or 50s) where someone gave a speech after the nominee was selected that was basically "You led us down the wrong path with [this person] and you're doing it again".

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I don't expect this debate to be a real mover. Tomorrow's (tonight's) debate has more chance to be a shitshow that moves the needle but the one tonight (yesterday) was more of a unified message on policy in different shades, Delaney ignored.

Heck, this first debate more just sets the footing for everyone but any windfall will come long-term and further policy positions/elaborations may prove far more of a boon or bane than this debate ever did or would.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every election my grandmother laments that the parties don't do backroom deals to pick the nominee. I can't think of the exact quote (or the candidate from the 40s or 50s) where someone gave a speech after the nominee was selected that was basically "You led us down the wrong path with [this person] and you're doing it again".
If the field were to stay fractured with no one over 30% you'd get Survivor-type dealmaking.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Tomorrow is gonna be a gigantic contrast with 2 obscenely old dudes in the center of the stage.
Booker - Gohan
Castro - Goku
Warren - Vegeta
De Blasio - Android 18
Inslee - Goten
Beto - Yamcha
Tulsi - Chi Chi
Klobuchar - Bulma
Ryan - Chiaotzu
Delaney - Mr. Satan
How is no one Krillin? I suppose no one is THAT that that awful. Also, don't insult Bulma like that. Otherwise this is fine. Warren being Vegeta for the entire campaign works pretty much perfectly, now that I think about it. A Big Bad is even perpetually racist against her!

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Beto is more like Gohan because he doesn't like bloodsport and because he doesn't do his homework, and because he seemed like he might end up the main character and won't be. I really did enjoy Booker's performance tonight. He's a very polished debater, but I would have liked to see more breakout moments.

Last edited:

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
The real winner:

D-C4I5zXYAA8bs1.jpg:large

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI

Is your grandmother David Plotz?

Status
Not open for further replies.