• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

So Biden's favorability actually went up, but 9% said now they wouldn't consider voting for him. I'm curious to know demographics.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure I read that this always happens seasonally and the prediction was that the admin would take credit for it. The article even alludes to this, although they say it was "bigger than expected".

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Harris, Warren and Pete are easily the best candidates. Biden is way out of his league here, he fucked up by not running in 2016.
This is my take as well, though Pete did not do as well as I thought. Then again he was more reserved and respectful than the others.

Weirdly, I thought Tulsi seemed composed and Yang got more airtime than I thought he would. And Booker and DeBlasio were too aggressive and trying to get themselves noticed, to their detriment.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the perfect form of messaging going into heated 2020 where the Rust Belt is already slipping away from Trump: "Fuck you."

Oh please, while he does this tax cut he'll also start talking about one caravan or another. They'll be too distracted by "scary brown people" to notice their wallets are being picked.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
wqSckeV-XXxgOYoxtY6MgctG5JRVMCq9C_qJ54RS-NQ.jpg

Well... at least he doesn't discriminate based on gender when he's being touchy I guess.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

"There's no doubt that the Russians did interfere in the election, and I think the interference, although not yet quantified, if fully investigated would show that Trump didn't actually win the election in 2016," Carter said. "He lost the election, and he was put into office because the Russians interfered on his behalf."
Pressed by historian Jon Meacham, who moderated the discussion, on whether he considers Trump to be "an illegitimate president," Carter replied: "Based on what I just said, which I can't retract."
Holding back no punches.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What is really bizarre about Biden's citing of James Eastland as an example of working across the aisle is that he was not even a Republican! If he wanted to make a point about civility and having bipartisan bona fides that no one else has, he could talk about actual Republicans he's dealt with. The whole thing has just been a giant self-own.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't watch either debate, haven't seen a single clip, but I do read the internet after the fact. Here are the facts!

[ ] Biden had a terrible night, which might have been his goal to show how he isn't some super lefty, but did look really old

[ ] Bernie bombed because he looked old and cranky

[ ] Warren is going to gain the most from everyone else's fuckups, didn't really stand out

[ ] Kamala DESTROYED Biden and ENDED HIS CAREER, but is also a 'not black' cop which might be the way she unifies a leftish coalition (??)

[ ] Andrew Yang lied about economics

[ ] Pete seemed smart

[ ] A white guy told Biden to pass the torch

[ ] Marianne Williamson's new agey bullshit is equally bad as Trump's fascist efforts to recreate another holocaust

[ ] Nobody else matters, including Klobuchar

[ ] Oh yeah, Booker something something.

[ ] Praxiiiissssssssssssssss

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm perplexed with this primary candidate selection.

Based on my key issues; student loan debt forgiveness, nuclear power expansion, Green New Deal, universal health care, free college, ending the electoral college, abolishing the filibuster, DC and PR statehood, DACA, Supreme Court reform, wealth tax, campaign finance, net neutrality, minimum wage, gun control, legalizing pot, and ending private prisons; it seems like Mayor Pete matches everything the best.

Which is disappointing. Harris has the better stage presence but she doesn't have a position on student debt relief (as far as I can find) and doesn't support nuclear power. Bernie and Warren are both down the board good, except for nuclear power. I think Bernie is too stubborn and too old though.

If Harris supports student loan forgiveness I can overlook the nuclear power issue, in which case Pete, Harris, and Warren would be my frontrunners.

With DeBlasio being a wildcard only because I think he can easily out-New Yorker Trump in any debate.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Sitting here at a Michigan hospital in a very rural, red area and a story about Trump came on the local news. I was bracing myself for the praise and was shocked when several of the elderly people started blasting him, saying his stupid tariffs were going to send us into a recession. Very pleased to hear. Even if these people just simply stay home in 2020, that could go a long way.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Good, now do the fuckin president
House ethics doesn't apply to the president.

Well, I suppose he could resign and run for Congress somewhere, but he won't.

Well... at least he doesn't discriminate based on gender when he's being touchy I guess.
The dynamics are different between genders, but he does this to everyone.

Sort of like how Bill Clinton would corner you and talk to you until you fall asleep, Joe will put his hands on you and stand ever so close.

When you can't spin your candidate's debate performance so you throw the goal posts as far as possible.
It's the same old shit. Blah, blah, corporate interests, blah, blah, rigged, blah, blah, "some people say I'm the best I'm not saying it but that's what they say so there are people who say that".

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In honor of debate season, we should replace "let's not pretend" with "let's dispel the fiction..."

OP
OP
Aaron

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sitting here at a Michigan hospital in a very rural, red area and a story about Trump came on the local news. I was bracing myself for the praise and was shocked when several of the elderly people started blasting him, saying his stupid tariffs were going to send us into a recession. Very pleased to hear. Even if these people just simply stay home in 2020, that could go a long way.
Good to hear!

Hope the hospital visit isn't anything serious, though.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Heard clips of the Harris Biden exchange from last night, and its striking that until the very, very end the exchange is rather cordial in that neither candidate interrupted the other

Oct 25, 2017
Biden may not be racist himself

Some people will obviously push back against what I'm going to type, but Biden argued to keep a status quo in place which kept a specific race of people in inferior school districts based on nothing more than the color of their skin. That, by its very definition, is racist.

And that he then defended his own arguments on that policy in 2019 means that he is, in fact, racist.

People don't want to hear that (not that I'm implicating you, but just talking generally), but it is what it is. He is a racist, full-stop. And one who is very proud of working with other racists.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Getting whiplash here

I love Bernie's system

For Profit insurance should only be allowed in the realm of that which is unneccessary for the life and well being of patients

Though some could argue certain cosmetic procedures are crucial but we already separate those within current insurance structures

I stand with the sentiment that tying Profit Driven incentives to Human Health and survival is an untenable and unethical situation

At the very least all private health companies should function as non profits or Benefit Corporations but some may even say thats not enough

Whats more centrist that would play well? Harsher regulations in medicine/health care? Could be a stepping stone but its not permanent or strong enough to be protected from lobbyist influence or the next shitty president/congress

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Daily reminder that the NYT sucks shit

Screenshot_20190628-140327_Instagram.jpg

"No 'occupied' gaza strip" 🤔🤔🤔

Oh well surely they'll address concerns in their comment section

Screenshot_20190628-140701_Instagram.jpg

🤔🤔🤔

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Some people will obviously push back against what I'm going to type, but Biden argued to keep a status quo in place which kept a specific race of people in inferior school districts based on nothing more than the color of their skin. That, by its very definition, is racist.

And that he then defended his own arguments on that policy in 2019 means that he is, in fact, racist.
Yep

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@mkraju
Biden, in Chicago at Jesse Jackson conference, defends record after debate debacle. "We all know 30 seconds to 60 seconds ... don't do justice .. to a lifetime" on civil rights. Says he never opposed "voluntary" busing, and details his civil rights record over his long career
14:08 - 28 Jun 2019

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Biden's speech. Obama really is plot armor, he's the Konami code of Democratic politics lol

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, he is saying that as a negative. He's a hardcore conservative.

As a parent one of my pet peeves is people pumping out kids they have no intention of properly caring for

We need to get away from this mentality of procreating for the sake of doing it

Its fucking sick and unnecessary. Also asinine as we torture and abuse the children we already have around us. I'm fucking tired of people pushing this shit

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Man, Biden is obsessed with plastering himself over other people's work. Obama this, "my city" that.

*edit* "I'm known as Joe Biden's husband, and I'm not ashamed of that"... uhhh lol

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Gravis poll of ME-SEN:
Finally, Senator Susan Collins will have a competitive election for 2020. Currently her job approval in Maine stands at even with 48% approving of her job and 48% disapproving of her job. However, when you put Sen. Collins and her current opponent, Maine Speaker of the House Sara Gideon, against one another Sen. Collins would win 52%-36%. The results show that the undecided voters include more Independent and Republican voters than Democrats at this time. However, Gravis Marketing also tested a RCV election as well and added the independent candidate that has announced in the Maine Senate election. In the first round Senator Collins leads with 44% of the vote, followed by Gideon with 30% and the independent candidate VanHelsing with 7%. When voters are asked for whom would be their second choice both Collins and VanHelsing are tied with 26% of the vote with Gideon taking 16%, many voters were undecided with whom their second choice for a candidate would be. "These results show that Senator Collins will be a tough Senator to beat in 2020, she has high name recognition in the state," Doug Kaplan added.
Sue's approval down to 48-48. She leads Gideon 52-36 in head-to-head, compared to 51-29 to a poll conducted in March. Gideon still has lots of room to grow, and Sue still has room to fall. The poll also shows that ranked-choice would deny Collins a majority in the first round if there's an independent in the first round; we'd then go to the second round, where it looks to be pretty up in the air depending on how undecideds break (I assume Gideon will have increased her numbers by November 2020). So it's actually a fairly promising result, especially re:her approval.

However, Gravis is not a very good pollster, and I typically shy away from them. This poll has Trump at 45% approval in ME. Even Morning Consult, which tends to be friendlier to incumbents, has him at 42% there. Many other polls have him below 40%.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Biden is obsessed with plastering himself over other people's work. Obama this, "my city" that.

*edit* "I'm known as Joe Biden's husband, and I'm not ashamed of that"... uhhh lol
An awful lot of "I'm that guy that _____ (some act or vote)!". But Bennett swatted down one of those boasts by pointing out it was no victory for Dems at all, it only helped Mitch and his trash caucus. I think Biden's banking on the majority of voters not actually knowing what any of the stuff he's referencing is, and just taking his word for it that not only was he solely responsible, but that they were all great.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
An awful lot of "I'm that guy that _____ (some act or vote)!". But Bennett swatted down one of those boasts by pointing out it was no victory for Dems at all, it only helped Mitch and his trash caucus. I think Biden's banking on the majority of voters not actually knowing what any of the stuff he's referencing is, and just taking his word for it that not only was he solely responsible, but that they were all great.
I mean. Can't really fault him for thinking it would be a good strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.