US PoliERA 2019 |OT5| She's got a plan for that, now sashay away

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Oct 25, 2017
Isn’t like most of Gravels appeal his criticism of US foreign policy though? That’s at least what caught my attention.
Primarily. People wanted him to get on the stage to try to push everyone even further left in an anti-imperial direction, plus they remembered his weird ad from 2008. I don't think most realized he was a Truther initially.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is that a good point? The claim is trump will declare victory because Dems did not impeach. But he’s going to claim victory on an even larger basis if and when he’s impeached by the House but acquitted by the Senate.

Idk, I get the impeachment thing is frustrating and he deserves it, but when it reaches the Senate its going to get turned into a joke. All that effort only for McConnell to shit on it with zero relevant consequences. The ultimate and only power a Dem House has to get shit on and owned in the end leading up to an election. A DoJ that will ignore any request from the House with a population what doesn’t even care to appreciate the significance of such a thing. At best the House can hope for an impeachment that results in Trumps pic being next to Clinton and Jackson’s in impeachment lore that nobody will actually give a flying fuck about 5 years later.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Primarily. People wanted him to get on the stage to try to push everyone even further left in an anti-imperial direction, plus they remembered his weird ad from 2008. I don't think most realized he was a Truther initially.
Didn't his puppeteers say if he gets on stage they want him to make a mockery of it all before endorsing Gabbard.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
So Lindsey Graham blamed the media for U.K. ambassador resigning. What he meant is that the media only reported on the insults and not the flattery lol:

I just realized most people probably didn't look in the spoiler because they expected the tweet text to be copy pasted there, but I used it for the punchline:

Oct 26, 2017
Barr saying they're going to use citizenship data anyway to determine apportionment is ominous as fuck.
Anybody notice Barr had a long awkward pause saying this, similar to the awkward pause he had when he said the FBI was "spying" on the Trump campaign. That's basically his tell that he's going into full Trump Stooge mood.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Is that a good point? The claim is trump will declare victory because Dems did not impeach. But he’s going to claim victory on an even larger basis if and when he’s impeached by the House but acquitted by the Senate.

Idk, I get the impeachment thing is frustrating and he deserves it, but when it reaches the Senate its going to get turned into a joke. All that effort only for McConnell to shit on it with zero relevant consequences. The ultimate and only power a Dem House has to get shit on and owned in the end leading up to an election. A DoJ that will ignore any request from the House with a population what doesn’t even care to appreciate the significance of such a thing. At best the House can hope for an impeachment that results in Trumps pic being next to Clinton and Jackson’s in impeachment lore that nobody will actually give a flying fuck about 5 years later.
I mean he is already parading around the country doing rallies, going off on social media and using his network propaganda machines to declare he won. Mueller didnt find anything illegal and that Democrats are sore losers. If they try to impeach and fail, how do you envision it looking any different from right now? He is already using his victim persecution complex to the highest degree. If they dont at least make an attempt then it will fail to sow further seeds of doubt within the American public. People will write it off as the equivalent of birtherism if they dont even make an attempt. The American public have been gaslit for the past 8 years by conspiracies leveled against Obama and HRC. They have become jaded and dont care about these congressional investigations that go nowhere. However, if they triggered impeachment people would be able to recognize that this is different than the conspiracy theories against Obama and Clinton.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it will work or not. I don't know if its the right strategy. Is there a possibility The Speaker is deliberately keeping the base mad as hell? Anger and fear are big voting motivators, and I could see not wanting to open a release valve for that.

More likely just bad decision making.

Ayahuasca

Nov 6, 2017
It's gonna be Warren Harris. ARR. A Realm Reborn.

The only thing that will save Bernie (who is leading the 18-49 Demo in the NBC/WSJ poll) is if Biden and/or Butti drop out and their supporters go over to Bernie.

NBC/WSJ

18-49
SANDERS 26%
WARREN 23%
BIDEN 11%
BUTTI 10%
HARRIS 9%

50+
BIDEN 50%
HARRIS 17%
WARREN 15%
BUTTI 5%
SANDERS 3%

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The Florida governor’s office created two versions of a June proclamation marking the three-year remembrance of the Pulse night club shooting, according to documents obtained this week by the Tampa Bay Times. One proclamation acknowledged the tragedy’s LGBTQ and Hispanic victims. The other did not.
Gov. Ron DeSantis ultimately signed the one that did not.
DeSantis later said that was a mistake and he issued a corrected proclamation recognizing the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities. His office blamed staff error. But the previously unreported documents indicate that someone inside the governor’s office had created two drastically different options for DeSantis to send out.
The one draft version declared: “The State of Florida will not tolerate hatred towards the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities and we will stand boldly with Orlando and the Central Florida community against terrorism and hate."
That one initially did not make it out of the governor’s office. Instead, DeSantis signed one that omitted the reference to the the victims’ sexuality and ethnicity. It also removed the word “hate.”
That proclamation stated: "The entire state of Florida has come together to stand boldly with Orlando and the Central Florida community against terrorism.”
The records don’t make clear why two versions were written or who authored them. DeSantis spokeswoman Helen Aguirre Ferré blamed confusion, saying "the process was circumvented by a staff member” who shouldn’t have been involved. A month before the proclamation was issued, emails showed uncertainty between the governor’s advance team and his legal staff over who would oversee the remembrance.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

lmcfigs

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get not wanting to impeach because you don’t have the senate. But why not start an inquiry into impeachment, lay out the case publicly, and then say you’d go through with it if not for the fact that it wouldn’t be picked up in the senate. It might even put republicans like Susan Collins under pressure. What’s all this about self-impeachment, and arresting him after he leaves office. Why is that pragmatic and not looking into impeachment now, while there’s still over a year left in his presidency.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jonathan Swan @jonathanvswan

Sources familiar with the situation say the president’s Supreme Court adviser Leonard Leo and other Federalist Society stalwarts were shocked and floored by how “weak” the decision was. https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-census-citizenship-question-conservative-reaction-5a2d3a27-ed8e-4a75-96ca-c89f68379a82.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic …

7:34 AM - Jul 12, 2019

WaPo bit about Leo from last week:

Lawrence Hurley @lawrencehurley

"But conservative legal figures — including Leonard Leo, head of the Federalist Society — have been especially vocal in urging Trump not to stop fighting for the citizenship question, according to advisers close to Trump" https://wapo.st/2Nzjz4h?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.17de69e20885 …

Leonard Leo helps pick the judges and also seems to have increasing influence on the policies that end up being litigated in front of those judges

8:34 PM - Jul 4, 2019

lmcfigs

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Jonathan Swan @jonathanvswan

Sources familiar with the situation say the president’s Supreme Court adviser Leonard Leo and other Federalist Society stalwarts were shocked and floored by how “weak” the decision was. https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-census-citizenship-question-conservative-reaction-5a2d3a27-ed8e-4a75-96ca-c89f68379a82.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic …

7:34 AM - Jul 12, 2019

WaPo bit about Leo from last week:

Lawrence Hurley @lawrencehurley

"But conservative legal figures — including Leonard Leo, head of the Federalist Society — have been especially vocal in urging Trump not to stop fighting for the citizenship question, according to advisers close to Trump" https://wapo.st/2Nzjz4h?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.17de69e20885 …

Leonard Leo helps pick the judges and also seems to have increasing influence on the policies that end up being litigated in front of those judges

8:34 PM - Jul 4, 2019
Of course the federalist society is unhappy he didn’t defy the Supreme Court. Of course they are.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
That’s covered in the article:
Asserting that a Senate acquittal would allow Trump to claim vindication elides the fact Trump has already claimed vindication, a falsehood which the Democrats’ failure to pursue impeachment would only strengthen. It also overlooks how a Senate trial always reinforces either the severity of the alleged crimes and the persuasiveness of the evidence, or the lack thereof. Nixon resigned only when Senate Republicans told him that his case would not survive a trial. Trump’s domination of the G.O.P. does make it all but impossible that the Senate would vote to remove him. But evidence presented by the House impeachment managers would enrage independents as well as Democrats, on the eve of the election, putting pressure on vulnerable Senate Republicans as well as on Trump. The electorate would, in effect, do the job that the Senate refused to do.

Last edited:

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Acquittal by the senate isn’t the real danger IMO. It’s that one of the moderate Ds (MANCHIN) votes to acquit.

Thorn

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, looking at a poll on MSNBC, Biden has AA Voters and Voters Over 50+ in the bag, so unless young people really get out the vote (they wont) he's a shoo-in.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not grumpy all the time"
Ended up going to the protest at my local USCIS office today. There weren't that many people, but I felt like I had to do something.

The Florida governor’s office created two versions of a June proclamation marking the three-year remembrance of the Pulse night club shooting, according to documents obtained this week by the Tampa Bay Times. One proclamation acknowledged the tragedy’s LGBTQ and Hispanic victims. The other did not.
Gov. Ron DeSantis ultimately signed the one that did not.
DeSantis later said that was a mistake and he issued a corrected proclamation recognizing the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities. His office blamed staff error. But the previously unreported documents indicate that someone inside the governor’s office had created two drastically different options for DeSantis to send out.
The one draft version declared: “The State of Florida will not tolerate hatred towards the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities and we will stand boldly with Orlando and the Central Florida community against terrorism and hate."
That one initially did not make it out of the governor’s office. Instead, DeSantis signed one that omitted the reference to the the victims’ sexuality and ethnicity. It also removed the word “hate.”
That proclamation stated: "The entire state of Florida has come together to stand boldly with Orlando and the Central Florida community against terrorism.”
The records don’t make clear why two versions were written or who authored them. DeSantis spokeswoman Helen Aguirre Ferré blamed confusion, saying "the process was circumvented by a staff member” who shouldn’t have been involved. A month before the proclamation was issued, emails showed uncertainty between the governor’s advance team and his legal staff over who would oversee the remembrance.
DeRacist living up to his name again. #GillumWasRight

But his Moderate Darling schtick means he will be re-elected. But in this case I can't specifically blame Florida. It's happened here in MA with Baker. Of course in FL at least they have term limits....

Manmademan

Aug 6, 2018
yeah this is something I hear conservatives say a lot. but as far as I know, emergency rooms will still bill you for their services. They just won't turn you away for not having insurance. which obviously has nothing to do with medicare for all.
Kind of.

Emergency rooms have to take everyone, whether or not you can pay. In the case of people who OBVIOUSLY have no ability to pay like the homeless or the undocumented who don't speak the language they don't get billed, the expense is just written off.

Even those who can technically pay, but are uninsured or destitute can usually have their medical bills negotiated down or written off entirely, if they're persistent about it.

edit: notably, the homeless/destitute/completely undocumented/uninsured tend to use the ER *for everything* including non emergencies because of this, which aggravates the issue. I frequently have to have conversations with new employees that aren't used to having insurance that if they have an issue going to a primary care doctor or even an urgent care is FAR less expensive than running to the emergency room when you have an earache or other minor health issue.

Obviously this raises the costs for those who use the ER who *DO* have the ability to pay, which is less than ideal. Those with insurance are subsidizing those without.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.