• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Issue is getting the press to write about bills they know will never pass the Senate in a million years when there's actual stuff happening every day that affects people's lives. No one is going to spend money or column space on a bill that will never be a thing.
Should dems be surprised by this? Should that not have been predicted and factored into their strategy?

Again, the criticism in those tweets is not that kitchen table issues are necessarily bad -- it's that, if your strategy is to side table Trump corruption and impeachment in favor of kitchen table issues, you better execute your kitchen table strategy well.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Should dems be surprised by this? Should that not have been predicted and factored into their strategy?
Hell, I was saying a year ago to everyone on here saying they should go this route that this would happen. These are the kinds of bills that lack impact (because they'll never pass into law during this congress) so they don't get written about.

I just think there's a certain amount of humor in the situation being flipped from what it was a year ago.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It's already begun!
This is from the court filings in 2016 when that woman claimed that Trump and Epstien raped her when she was 14.
Fucking YIKES!

ME3Qq6f.jpg

Fuck fuck fuck. As if I couldn't loathe these cretinous dirtbags any more.

And yea, they didn't even circle the worst of it.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Saikat isn't really wrong with those tweets. The fact we keep getting reporting on how frustrated Pelosi is that the media isn't covering her bills doomed to never be brought up in the Senate is just hilarious.

Why would you ever expect the media to focus on doomed bills, especially in the age of Trump?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance Acosta, full confidence means you're much fired and that press conference was not Brett enough to justify his job and standing

Pat Pizzella is an old Reagan/Bush toad who used to work with Jack Abramoff, He'll probably get Scott Walker for the job

Firing Coats would be cause massive problems in the intel community

Firing Ross would be hilarious

man, I really wish we had the Senate instead of the House

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saikat isn't really wrong with those tweets. The fact we keep getting reporting on how frustrated Pelosi is that the media isn't covering her bills doomed to never be brought up in the Senate is just hilarious.

Why would you ever expect the media to focus on doomed bills, especially in the age of Trump?

to be fair, they did for Paul Ryan

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, I was saying a year ago to everyone on here saying they should go this route that this would happen. These are the kinds of bills that lack impact (because they'll never pass into law during this congress) so they don't get written about.

I just think there's a certain amount of humor in the situation being flipped from what it was a year ago.
Personally I feel like the kitchen table vs trump impeachment debate is a little weird on both sides -- on a practical level, I feel like they are probably not mutually exclusive -- Trump is unpopular and liberal policies are popular... so just do both. It feels like the debate is more a proxy for other factional arguments. Which might be why it can flip like that.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I feel like the kitchen table vs trump impeachment debate is a little weird on both sides -- on a practical level, I feel like they are probably not mutually exclusive -- Trump is unpopular and liberal policies are popular... so just do both. It feels like the debate is more a proxy for other factional arguments. Which might be why it can flip like that.
Yeah, that's kinda my point. It shows that it's not really about that, it's about the other thing.

But yeah, do both. They should honestly be starting impeachment proceedings already. If they're waiting for Mueller to testify then whatever, but they better do it after.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

focus on our doomed bills, we can't start impeachment because it would fail in the senate

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
That lawsuit was the one that came up during the campaign but was dropped when the woman got death threats. Will be interesting to see if it goes forward now and if the woman has enough credible evidence.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
His criticism is actually less about passing bills and more about dems failing to make the bills they've passed something people know about and can get excited about. If the strategy is to focus on kitchen table issues, what does it say about the kitchen table strategy if voters can't name anything dems have done for their kitchen table issues? If the conclusion is that the scandals make it too difficult to execute your kitchen table strategy, then the kitchen table strategy was a mistake -- or at least, hasn't been executed well.
Yeah I think this is definitely true. I'm pretty tapped into the general party discourse, but I have absolutely no clue what the larger narrative of the agenda is for House Democrats. It seems wholly in disarray from the outside in. I feel like with the big 2018 election. I SHOULD know some big legislation that they are working towards, but it seems like there is a lot of mixed messaging.

Oct 27, 2017

Because the issues are important enough, they're not supposed to be "doomed" bils, and they're supposed to be "our" bills, not necessarily just hers. The 9/11 victims fund is being voted on today. That the media would only want to focus on winners and losers much of the time, is frustrating.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

NBC News @NBCNews

Arizona Gov. Ducey has change of heart for Nike following Fourth of July shoe controversy, now says, "Arizona is open for business, and we welcome Nike to our state." https://nbcnews.to/2jG8vEn

12:38 PM - Jul 12, 2019

Doug Ducey @dougducey

This is good news for Arizona and for @GoodyearAZGov. 500 plus jobs. Over $184 million in capital investment. Arizona is open for business, and we welcome @Nike to our state. https://twitter.com/azcommerce/status/1149413333910482944 …

4:22 PM - Jul 11, 2019

Last week:

Doug Ducey @dougducey

Nike has made its decision, and now we're making ours. I've ordered the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw all financial incentive dollars under their discretion that the State was providing for the company to locate here. 7/

Arizona's economy is doing just fine without Nike. We don't need to suck up to companies that consciously denigrate our nation's history. 8/

5:05 AM - Jul 2, 2019

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
"Trump and Epstein had a falling out. You should look at his connection to Clinton!"

Meanwhile...

D_ReA5AU0AApAiL.jpg

Epstein's phone directory from his computer contains 14 phone numbers for Donald Trump, including emergency numbers, car numbers, and numbers to Trump's security guard and houseman," the affidavit reportedly claims.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018

Please, please let some professionals ask the questions. Nothing gets done otherwise in these 5 minutes rounds, and lets be honest most house members on both sides of the aisle struggle to ask anything intelligent in a reasonable amount of time. Let some pros ask sustained questions and then actually follow up and continue after the trash fire that is the 5 minutes from the idiot republicans attacking Mueller.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Natural law is a philosophical thought that says that certain rights are inherent to being human, usually endowed by God, insisting that universal moral truths can be arrived at by examining religious texts or an imagined "state of nature." Natural law as a concept is often used by the right to argue against women's and LGBTQ people's rights.

Senator Robert Menendez (D) noted that Pompeo didn't pick State Department employees who work on human rights to staff the commission, instead picking former U.S. Ambassador to the Vatican Mary Ann Glendon to head it.

Glendon is a conservative law professor who "writes forcefully against the expansion of abortion rights." She called marriage equality "a bid for special preferences" that will suggest that "alternative family forms are just as good as a husband and wife raising kids together."

This is the least surprising thing I heard all week.

This is what happens when hardcore Christian fundamentalists are able to take over a "democracy".

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
"Trump and Epstein had a falling out. You should look at his connection to Clinton!"

Meanwhile...

D_ReA5AU0AApAiL.jpg

It may be a total out there conspiracy theory, but I am hearing a lot of questions about where Epstein got his money from. Some say it is from blackmailing rich folks after they visited his "parties" with pay up or these photos of you and this underage girl come out. My guess is Trump and Epstein were best buds until Epstein asked Trump to pay up 15 years ago and they had that falling out Trump talks about.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYT

NEW: Falling in Iowa & outraised by @ewarren, @BernieSanders allies + advisers want him to lean more into his bio, train his fire on....@JoeBiden

"I do think he's going to have to draw a contrast with the vice president," sez @RoKhanna

w @melbournecoal https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/us/politics/bernie-sanders-2020-campaign.html …

Bernie's longtime adviser JEFF WEAVER >

"If you want somebody who's going to talk about their cooking, their dog, their wardrobe, travel habits, or favorite books, Bernie Sanders is not your candidate."

"This is not a popularity contest or a find-a-friend contest"

10:06 AM - Jul 12, 2019

Is there another sound available besides woofwoofwoof when it's this kind of dogwhistling?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

What I've been preaching for months. Part of the chew gum and walk at the same time kind of thing.

Also, a kitchen table issue in particular that is very very very tied in with impeachment is election security. We can't fix shit without first confronting all of what happened in 2016, and we're nowhere close to doing that. McConnel has been allowed by Pelosi and Dems to frame that entire shit in his own way, and that's a massive mistake. Impeachment will help with putting the entire GOP, not just Trump, on the defensive once we revisit how Fox News is an arm of Russian counterintelligence, how the NRA used dark money to influence politicians and elections, and how the GOP as a whole were completely fine with all of the election interference that was happening via Russia, China, and Israel, and Saudi Arabia.

This article from May sums up my feelings:
[...]
None of this is news to Nancy Pelosi, but unfortunately, putting one's faith in the elections system makes even less sense today than it did in 2016. As Jamelle Bouie observes, we are now in the epicenter of an all-out vote suppression crisis that has become an all-out democracy crisis.

It's easy to forget this, but it bears repeating: The reason former FBI Director James Comey didn't take the Russian threat against the elections system seriously enough in 2016 is because he believed Hillary Clinton would win by large margins. The reason President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder and others who knew about the threats before we did failed to respond with utmost urgency and seriousness is because they too believed that Hillary Clinton would win. By large margins. Time and time again, people who had access to both information and power opted to take the less draconian path because they believed that there would still be a free and fair election and that Trump would not win it. We know how that turned out.

We make the same mistake of not acting on the ongoing threats to congressional oversight, to free and fair voting, and to foreign cyberattacks because an election might solve it at our peril. An election may well become the problem. Doing less than absolutely everything possible to reinstate the rule of law in America today in the hopes that there will be less election interference next time, or more benign election interference, or less purposive election interference, is insane.
This isn't a joke. This is a full-fledged crisis of constitutional democracy and the checking function of Congress. It's heartening to think that in a year and a half we can vote our way out of our predicament, but it's a bit like suggesting that we have a good long national think about how things are currently going and tend to it all in 2020, when all the systems that were already broken in 2016 are more broken. If Democrats in the House seriously believe that the attorney general has covered up illegal activity and is refusing to accept congressional oversight, they should model seriousness. Which means that they should do something about it, beyond waiting for the problem to be voted away by large margins.

As Jennifer Rubin noted two weeks ago, Democrats have more than one possible response to Donald Trump's illegal conduct at their disposal. There is no reason why they need to take any single one of them off the table, and there is certainly no reason why they should announce the plan to do so to the New York Times. Banking on an elections system that is being warped before our eyes is a recipe for disaster, and it's a lesson that should have been learned by now.

People are getting too distracted by the gains we had in 2018. Hell, we could've won more if it wasn't for some very very very "curious" election shenanigans we were watching in real-time. Don't just assume that the gravy train will roll on keeping the same status quo as there was in the leadup to 2018 - you know, the one where nothingburger reigns supreme and everything is hidden behind political process and in court documents instead of being air-blasted out to the public on a daily basis.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I like Ike."

But of course someone who's genuinely not very likable on a personal level would be chafed by the fact that elections are a popularity contest.
Kim Spradlin's theory of how to win Survivor also applies to just about any other election: "Just be the person people like the most of the final 2/3 at the end."

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Keep delaying Pelosi all while Trump gets his goons in order and continues to destroy the country. Keep attacking those freshman women, that's what we need right now. No rush... take your time yo.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume that's Lacy Clay's aide until proven otherwise because it's the same line of criticism but more explicit.

If someone in leadership were to have allowed their aide to go say that it'd probably require a resignation.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume that's Lacy Clay's aide until proven otherwise because it's the same line of criticism but more explicit.

If someone in leadership were to have allowed their aide to go say that it'd probably require a resignation.
I saw people speculating it was that Blue Dog spokeswoman Brooke Lillard. Either way, whoever texted it should be fired.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017

She, Brooke Lillard, works for Jim Costa. So a little closer to home for Pelosi.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYT

NEW: Falling in Iowa & outraised by @ewarren, @BernieSanders allies + advisers want him to lean more into his bio, train his fire on....@JoeBiden

"I do think he's going to have to draw a contrast with the vice president," sez @RoKhanna

w @melbournecoal https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/us/politics/bernie-sanders-2020-campaign.html …

Bernie's longtime adviser JEFF WEAVER >

"If you want somebody who's going to talk about their cooking, their dog, their wardrobe, travel habits, or favorite books, Bernie Sanders is not your candidate."

"This is not a popularity contest or a find-a-friend contest"

10:06 AM - Jul 12, 2019

It literally is a find the friend contest

This is explicitly why Joe is winning. Because he's your bro. Bernie would actually benefit from chilling a bit and easy off the doc brown just time traveled back to warn us about the future energy

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017

Axios @axios

NEW: President Trump has told confidants he's eager to remove Dan Coats as director of national intelligence, according to five sources who have discussed the matter directly with the president. https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-remove-dan-coats-director-of-national-intelligence-2ba4275d-7624-4f4b-9026-ee0d0606ce32.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100 …

Coats has rankled Trump more than once with his public comments:

• When he appeared to criticize Trump's relationship with Putin
• When he told a Senate panel that North Korea was unlikely to give up its nuclear weapons, contradicting Trump https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-remove-dan-coats-director-of-national-intelligence-2ba4275d-7624-4f4b-9026-ee0d0606ce32.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100 …

11:38 AM - Jul 12, 2019

Burgess Everett @burgessev

Coats just gave bipartisan briefing on election security to all members of Congress https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1149704180543586304 …

11:37 AM - Jul 12, 2019

So expect an explicit denial from Trump for via tweets [blaming the fake new for spreading a false story] before he actually fires him in a month.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If dems are more worried about getting 5 minutes of tv time for the mueller hearings than they are about getting as much relevant information out to the american people as possible then thats beyond demoralizing.

They're at least suppose to pretend like they're in office to serve, not for their own personal gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.