• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People don't like their insurance, they like their doctors. Their insurance can change if they get a new job or if their job decides to pick a new provider. Curiously enough, what you posted is reminiscent of what Biden said in that tweet.

Yes, I know this is the new argument among M4A propopnents to deal with the meh poll numbers - "they don't know what they're talking about. They just like their doctors, not their insurance." Somehow, I think insurance-splaining to people that politicians know better than they do about their own health care isn't likely to go well.

Also, the people who like their insurance, if they change jobs, are going to go to jobs where they also have good insurance, under most circumstances. There's a reason why many unions are ambivalent at best about Medicare for All. Yes, you'll never hear from these people on Left Twitter or this forum, because there probably aren't a ton of 40-something middle to upper middle class office workers at a multinational in the Midwest or West Coast, who post on here.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Why means test it? Why add the extra unnecessary step? Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?
Because the rich need better healthcare and it's easier to dismantle when administrations change. It also keeps the leeches on the system, health insurance companies, in business.

Health insurance, an idea and system, meant to provide efficiency has prove time and time again to produce the more expensive, inferior care than other world powers.

Keeping health insurance companies happy and giving them a voice to shape the future of healthcare will not solve the issue no matter how much the free market proponents will continue to push market-based solutions to life or death situations.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I know this is the new argument among M4A propopnents to deal with the meh poll numbers - "they don't know what they're talking about. They just like their doctors, not their insurance." Somehow, I think insurance-splaining to people that politicians know better than they do about their own health care isn't likely to go well.

Also, the people who like their insurance, if they change jobs, are going to go to jobs where they also have good insurance, under most circumstances. There's a reason why many unions are ambivalent at best about Medicare for All. Yes, you'll never hear from these people on Left Twitter or this forum, because there probably aren't a ton of 40-something middle to upper middle class office workers at a multinational in the Midwest or West Coast, who post on here.
Do you actually believe people enjoy dealing with their insurance company? Brushing it off as a mere talking point just seems weird.

Last edited:

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I also feel like people who are starting the debate at a point where the healthcare industry is not greatly diminished are fighting a losing battle.

Fight the fight for healthcare as a human right. Not a fight for good healthcare for some with greatly inferior healthcare for others.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I also feel like people who are starting the debate at a point where the healthcare industry is not greatly diminished are fighting a losing battle.

Fight the fight for healthcare as a human right. Not a fight for good healthcare for some with greatly inferior healthcare for others.
True. Where do you stand on free healthcare for illegals? I think Sanders came out and said yes for that. If the others haven't been asked, I expect they will be, and the answer will probably be polarizing for a lot of people.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Unions were an active force against universal coverage in the 50s/60s/70s. It wasn't till they lost so much power over the 70s/80s that they really bought in across the board.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Biden is cynically trying to position things as a "Are you For or Against Obamacare?" question and trying to scare seniors into thinking their healthcare is going away entirely if he isn't the candidate. This is only going to help Trump in the general if (hopefully when) Biden is finally ousted from the race.

Oct 27, 2017
Because we got the ACA passed under Obama, relying heavily on those conservative swing districts. Pelosi is deferential to those areas because they're the hardest areas for us to win election is and our majority is specifically dependent on them. Not as much as in '06/'08 in the House thankfully, but they're still there (see: Conor Lamb) but it's now overwhelmingly so in the Senate. If we get a President Warren/Harris/etc. and the Senate, our 50th Senator might be Joe Manchin because we lost so many seats that we can no longer win back over the past decade due to the nationalization of politics.

The Union is going to have issues because the Senate is going to break it eventually. The principle here is not "fundraising" it is winning elections because they're what gives you power. Pragmatism gets shit done. AOC leveraging a half-hispanic district and specifically targeting Hispanic voters rather than just a lefty ideological econ message was "pragmatism." AOC could not win an election in all 435 house districts, nor could she win an election in every House district the Dems currently hold. Yes, politics IS a game, in the sense that we hold an electoral competition to decide who to give power to. And because it's a game, you need to play that fucking game.

Not where I live. My area's been grinding and chipping away for a quarter century at the GOP and we're about to go full blue state.

And we started losing elections the moment Obama got elected nationally. You know, the same damn thing that happens to every goddamn President's party the moment they take office, because Negative Enthusiasm really does rule all for the same reason clickbait works. But of course you and others are going to keep pretending this phenomenon isn't a thing, because blaming it on a person or leadership allows you to pretend that it's something that could possibly be changed if WE ONLY DID *thing that aligns with pre-existing political views* instead of acknowledging its a structural pattern in US politics.

And your wording is telling. You say "opposition." The goal is not to be a permanent opposition party!

So is yours. Many people have lived their entire lives without any victory on progress in freedom and equality. Should they have lived with even less dignity to satisfy some definition of "actual progress"? You're coming dangerously close to saying that others' life experience in society, and how they choose to live in response to societal pressures and prejudices, are acts of "pretending".

Pragmatism gets people elected locally, on this I agree. But when you're talking actual "actual progress" on a national basis, "doing it and being legends" is what has worked. Even Trump's brand of pragmatism (the original travel ban, the Wilbur Ross census crap, the wall and subsequent shutdown, trying to start something with Iran, Barr spearheading the Mueller results) hasn't worked. But the admin's "do it and be legends"-level stuff like kids in cages, "tax relief", tariff threats, deport-first-ask-questions-later, halt investigations, prohibit people from testifying to Congress, and rallies, have been more effective.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unions were an active force against universal coverage in the 50s/60s/70s. It wasn't till they lost so much power over the 70s/80s that they really bought in across the board.
Strikes me as odd. Imagine wanting to rely on your employer for health insurance. How backwards is that in terms of bargaining power? I'm guessing cost of healthcare was significantly cheaper then?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is yours. Many people have lived their entire lives without any victory on progress in freedom and equality. Should they have lived with even less dignity to satisfy some definition of "actual progress"? You're coming dangerously close to saying that others' life experience in society, and how they choose to live in response to societal pressures and prejudices, are acts of "pretending".

Pragmatism gets people elected locally, on this I agree. But when you're talking actual "actual progress" on a national basis, "doing it and being legends" is what has worked. Even Trump's brand of pragmatism (the original travel ban, the Wilbur Ross census crap, the wall and subsequent shutdown, trying to start something with Iran, Barr spearheading the Mueller results) hasn't worked. But the admin's "do it and be legends"-level stuff like kids in cages, "tax relief", tariff threats, deport-first-ask-questions-later, halt investigations, prohibit people from testifying to Congress, and rallies, have been more effective.
Who in the USA isn't benefited by the ACA passing? I'm not talking about life experience here, I'm talking about how in places that are going R->D, we've been making slow incremental gains and progress because that's how making progress works.

And yes, refusing to actually use the power you had was a huge issue with the Senate in 2009 that led to so much stuff not getting done that should have. They didn't understand the nature of the realignment that was happening despite political scientists, economists, stats people, etc all warning them.
Strikes me as odd. Imagine wanting to rely on your employer for health insurance. How backwards is that in terms of bargaining power? I'm guessing cost of healthcare was significantly cheaper then?
It's because they viewed a hypothetical universal system as something that would result in less benefits for their workers, and also as a result of that make it harder to convince people they should be unionized since the marginal benefits would be reduced. Union activity benefitting people outside the union is generally a spillover side effect of influence on the labor market as a whole, not a direct result of their negotiations. Unions are not altruistic actors.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who in the USA isn't benefited by the ACA passing? I'm not talking about life experience here, I'm talking about how in places that are going R->D, we've been making slow incremental gains and progress because that's how making progress works.

And yes, refusing to actually use the power you had was a huge issue with the Senate in 2009 that led to so much stuff not getting done that should have. They didn't understand the nature of the realignment that was happening despite political scientists, economists, stats people, etc all warning them.

It's because they viewed a hypothetical universal system as something that would result in less benefits for their workers, and also as a result of that make it harder to convince people they should be unionized since the marginal benefits would be reduced. Union activity benefitting people outside the union is generally a spillover side effect of influence on the labor market as a whole, not a direct result of their negotiations.
Very interesting.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Because if you're the leadership of the International Pipefitters Union, it's much better to have health care be something you fight for so you can tell your members you got them a better deal, as opposed to something everybody just gets for existing. Also, in theory, M4A could be less generous than many current union health insurance plans.

Do you actually believe people enjoy dealing with their insurance company? Brushing it off as a mere talking point just seems weird.

I realize for people stuck w/ shitty insurance or in a terrible financial condition, this can be hard to imagine, but for millions of people, they go through life not having any bad encounters w/ their insurance company for decades. Now, I realize the counter-argument is, "they haven't actually had a situation with their insurance where they'd get denied," which may be true, but the, "well, you may like your insurance now, but just wait 'til you really need it," isn't a loquiacious argument as you may think it is.

Again - throw a dart at Western Europe. Copy whichever country we hit - whatever that system is will be incredibly better. If it's the UK, sure. If it's Norway, great. I it's Switzerland, cool.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
True. Where do you stand on free healthcare for illegals? I think Sanders came out and said yes for that. If the others haven't been asked, I expect they will be, and the answer will probably be polarizing for a lot of people.
I am for healthcare for illegal immigrants. No one should die in this country who can receive preventative and/or emergency healthcare.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
St Bernard is rapidly fading. Fighting Copmala for 3rd/4th. Eventually fighting Booty for 4th/5th. Maybe he'll still get like Commerce or something.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
v
St Bernard is rapidly fading. Fighting Copmala for 3rd/4th. Eventually fighting Booty for 4th/5th. Maybe he'll still get like Commerce or something.
LMAO

Fuck this guy for trying to profit off of our queens' good work.

Yeah, this is not a good look, especially when Tlaib likely is the only one who actually needs donations.
Yeah, I live close to Pressley's district. She's fine.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear. You can choose how much to donate to each person when you click Bernie's link, including giving Bernie 0 dollars. Pretty great show of solidarity from Sanders.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
As someone who has had to deal with Medicare and my private insurance? Lemme fight it out with my private insurance every day of the week. I have a child with chronic, life threatening illness. Not one of his disease modifying medications is on the Medicare or Medicaid formulary. People can fall back on that "people love their doctors hate their insurance" all you want, but it's simply just not true. You have a lot of folks like me who are not about to rip up our private health insurance with a vague promise that everything we currently get is going to be covered. It's not an abstract concept for me. It's the difference between my oldest son growing up or ending up in a wheelchair before he's 25.

Also, you cannot mandate that a doctor will take medicare. Doctors are not required to accept medicare or medicaid now. So, unless you really plan on nationalizing all health care providers (LOL good luck with that).....

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cruz:

Haley Byrd @byrdinator

Ted Cruz pointedly ignores questions from reporters and says he doesn't comment on Trump's tweets.

6:13 PM - Jul 15, 2019

Steven Dennis @StevenTDennis

Paul Kane made the point that Trump made public, televised remarks to no avail. The elevator doors closed. https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1150891062522785792 …

7:12 PM - Jul 15, 2019

Rubio:

Jake Tapper @jaketapper

.@marcorubio: "The president shouldn't have written that. I think it damages him. It damages the country, and none of us should be participants in identity politics," he told reporters, per @byrdinator

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1150891971789164546
2/ "I don't read into people's intentions," Rubio said when asked if the remarks were racist. "That's actually part of the problem, is we throw these terms around today."

"I can only tell you when presidents speak it has an impact," he added.

3/ Rubio said growing up in Miami he heard similar comments.

"I think the implication by anyone that you're not as American as someone else because your parents were born somewhere else is...directly counter to what makes America unique," he told reporters.

6:16 PM - Jul 15, 2019

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Cruz:

Haley Byrd @byrdinator

Ted Cruz pointedly ignores questions from reporters and says he doesn't comment on Trump's tweets.

Paul Kane made the point that Trump made public, televised remarks to no avail. The elevator doors closed. https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1150891062522785792 …

Rubio:

Jake Tapper @jaketapper

.@marcorubio: "The president shouldn't have written that. I think it damages him. It damages the country, and none of us should be participants in identity politics," he told reporters, per @byrdinator

2/ "I don't read into people's intentions," Rubio said when asked if the remarks were racist. "That's actually part of the problem, is we throw these terms around today."

"I think the implication by anyone that you're not as American as someone else because your parents were born somewhere else is...directly counter to what makes America unique," he told reporters.

Cool cool, good job guys. Fucking spineless cowards.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
www.realclearpolitics.com

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

Bernie/Kamala/Warren are basically tied for second. I dont think that Bernie is going to win but im not really seeing wheres hes "fading" at the moment.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Cruz doesn't comment on Trumps tweets, but he took the time to attack Beto over tweeting his ancestors were slave holders.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Cruz:

Haley Byrd @byrdinator

Rubio:

Jake Tapper @jaketapper

Actually Cruz should go back to where he came from.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
So are there any actual repurcussions for defying subpeonas besides strongly worded tweets? People need to start going to jail.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are there any actual repurcussions for defying subpeonas besides strongly worded tweets? People need to start going to jail.
Yeah I think it's been established that dems don't actually have the power to enforce subpoenas, or if they do, it's untested in modern times from a legal standpoint. Everything up to now has been threatening to hold people in contempt for ignoring subpoenas, but not actually doing it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Who in the USA isn't benefited by the ACA passing?

Me and my family. Four times this decade alone, yes we have not benefited - too many and too large premium hikes and less coverage each time. And that's all while being employed in large corporations, and laid off. It was scary at one point browsing our state's exchange, knowing that for literally just a few dollars less, we'd have much less coverage than what COBRA would provide should the exchange be our only option. That's not a benefit, but a bitter bargain struck by people who won't feel it. Some people can only get access to the exchange, and maybe that covers them if they are currently well, but it's expensive and not enough over the long term. We live in a "blue" state that is home to several insurance companies as well. It's likely worse in other states.

I'd gladly pay a bit more to support an ACA that actually had an insurance backstop and had non-ridiculous options available to people, but not like this. The Obama admin both fucked up and let it get fucked up out of the gate on both these areas.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I realize for people stuck w/ shitty insurance or in a terrible financial condition, this can be hard to imagine, but for millions of people, they go through life not having any bad encounters w/ their insurance company for decades. Now, I realize the counter-argument is, "they haven't actually had a situation with their insurance where they'd get denied," which may be true, but the, "well, you may like your insurance now, but just wait 'til you really need it," isn't a loquiacious argument as you may think it is.

Again - throw a dart at Western Europe. Copy whichever country we hit - whatever that system is will be incredibly better. If it's the UK, sure. If it's Norway, great. I it's Switzerland, cool.
What does it mean to have great insurance? It means you get a great doctor, a nearby ER, coverage for things like dental and eyecare, etc...

That's not changing with medicare for all. Nobody gives a shit about their insurance beyond that. Actually, when you start getting into crappy medical situations, your crappy insurance starts to show itself for what it really is. Most people won't experience that, and sure, it's weak to say to those people "it may cause problems in the future", but it's also fair to say that under medicare for all, whatever you liked about your insurance isn't really going to change.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
god damn it, the new twitter design is disgusting. can't even see two tweets at once in my timeline. and no way to switch back. guess I'm done with them for good.

appreciate everyone that's been c&p the tweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.