• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
What does the contempt of court vote mean? Also how is it that trump and his group can just stiff arm every actual attempt to hold them accountable?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like irrationally angry about the brow beating in the sports media about our girls scoring too many goals against Thailand today because civility

Cunts would be less angry if Trump threatened to literally nuke Thailand on twitter tomorrow

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

This transcript almost reads Trumpian, lol.

If there's one thing clear from Biden's comments the last day or two, it's that he's incapable of seeing a difference between Republicans' statements and their actions. He thinks getting some of them to say Garland was mistreated or that pre-existing conditions should be protected are actual wins, but these might as well be thoughts and prayers. He can't cite any substantive bipartisan action on the part of Republicans without going back a full decade to when a tiny minority of Republicans helped bail out the country from an epic recession. He's living in a fantasy.

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't care about anything but dismantling the national security machine that's suffocating the world rn

Anything less then either dismantling it or cutting off funding for it, is not what I will hear of.

Oct 27, 2017
Any democrat not willing to call republican fascist is not a anyone I will vote for

Honestly, the democrats in Missouri have just been so toothless and spineless, it makes cynical about the future of Missouri

I genuinely want out of this state ASAP. There's so much spinelessness I can take before I want to leave for a state that'll treat me like a real human and not a second rate citizen because Im not fucking abled bodied and abled minded.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any democrat not willing to call republican fascist is not a anyone I will vote for

Honestly, the democrats in Missouri have just been so toothless and spineless, it makes cynical about the future of Missouri

I genuinely want out of this state ASAP. There's so much spinelessness I can take before I want to leave for a state that'll treat me like a real human and not a second rate citizen because Im not fucking abled bodied and abled minded.
Your state has a weak Democratic party because the Democrats are outnumbered. Your shitty neighbors are the problem.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The democrats in Missouri are mostly powerless. Them not being able to do anything because Missouri sucks doesn't make them spineless.
And you might be interested in knowing the edit button on posts works surprisingly well.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Not just Liz Cheney but also Mark Walker and Gary Palmer as well

According to sources, Emmer specifically took issue with three members of GOP leadership, all of whom are reportedly mulling Senate bids: House Republican Conference Chairwoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), House Republican Conference Vice Chair Mark Walker (R-N.C.) and Republican Policy Committee Chairman Gary Palmer (R-Ala.).

During the meeting, tensions arose between Emmer and Walker over the NRCC opting not to provide funding for Walker's legal expenses after he voiced interest in launching a primary challenge against Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) during the next election cycle, according to two sources.

The legal fees pertain to an indictment that mentions the North Carolina Republican. Though unnamed in the filing, Walker was identified by Politico, using Federal Election Commission (FEC) records, as "Public Official A" in a case concerning the state GOP chairman's indictment on bribery charges in April. Walker has been adamant that there was no wrongdoing on his part and that he is not a target in the investigation. The Club for Growth, a conservative political action group that has courted Walker to run against Tillis, has repeatedly come out in his defense.

One source with knowledge of Tuesday's conversation told The Hill that Walker "proactively said he was not going to pay his dues because the NRCC reneged on a deal to cover $50,000 in legal bills after he made it known that he was considering a primary against a sitting Republican senator."

"He felt the NRCC didn't do what they said they were going to do," a source in the room told The Hill.

Another person with knowledge of the discussion said Emmer's "kind of anger" was directed more so "toward two members who haven't paid up, which are Liz Cheney and Gary Palmer," adding some lawmakers have voiced concerns their potential bids for the upper chamber could be interfering with their dedication to the NRCC.

"There were other members of leadership [other than Walker] that were challenged about their commitments to NRCC and pushed back pretty aggressively," one source in the meeting told The Hill.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Also, keep in mind that Biden's shortcomings (loose lips, foot-in-mouth) are also Trump's weaknesses.

Might hurt in the primary, but in the general it doesn't really matter.

Reminded of Perlstein's book on the '64 election with Goldwater. Basically, LBJ was campaigning so much that by the end of the election season he was uttering utter nonsense, but compared to Goldwater he sounded downright erudite, to the extent that no one in the media noted it.

Why the fuck is Cornell West chilling with Milo?

To hell with Cornell West. It was very depressing that during grad school he visited my alma mater and for weeks afterward everyone I knew had to have positive views over every vacuous statement he uttered. What a waste of a good mind.

It's always fun trying to defend the lofty goal of making strides in defeating a near undefeatable disease because it came from the wrong person. Politics is stressful

The whole topic is a dumpster fire of "I don't like this man so fuck everything he says!" I am not a Biden supporter, but good lord are the comments in there just spiteful for no reason.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Did Biden really say "Let's make America AMERICA again" today?
Jesus... That's awful.

I mean, maybe it's my Arts degree background, but I know what he means by that. It's riffing off the whole "This is not what America is" thing. Which, okay, there's a good argument to say that this is what America is, but Joe's not going to go down that route, given his target demographics.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, maybe it's my Arts degree background, but I know what he means by that. It's riffing off the whole "This is not what America is" thing. Which, okay, there's a good argument to say that this is what America is, but Joe's not going to go down that route, given his target demographics.
It was the same thing with Hillary. Once you hate someone, everything they say sounds ridiculous and awful.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I think Biden's message will work for the majority of leftish voters.
The only part of his message that's working for leftish voters is him saying that he'll beat trump, which is silly since the last thing that caused the 2016 loss was hillary being too focused on her leftish base.

Also the assumption that he'd be the closest to a third obama term given his role as VP, which is dumb because Harris, Beto, Buttigieg, Booker, and Castro all would functionally be much closer to a third obama term. Or Bernie and Warren being the next step after the step forward Obama took on the leftward policy line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aaron

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Nothing Biden is saying is going to play poorly to the Democratic base outside of the Twitter bubble.

Charlie Baker (R) has a +64 favorability rating among Democrats in blue-ass Massachusetts.

I'm not saying they're right at all to want Biden or cooperation with figurative (and quite possibly literally) Satan but the notion that the base will revolt against Biden for saying "let's work with Republicans" is nonsense.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Nothing Biden is saying is going to play poorly to the Democratic base outside of the Twitter bubble.

Charlie Baker (R) has a +64 favorability rating among Democrats in blue-ass Massachusetts.

I'm not saying they're right at all to want Biden or cooperation with figurative (and quite possibly literally) Satan but the notion that the base will revolt against Biden for saying "let's work with Republicans" is nonsense.
Well, something's causing his numbers to drop. It might be somewhat linked to that part of his message.

But in any case, I'm definitely confident in saying that part of his message isn't what's giving him this level of support in the primaries, beyond what people think that can do for "electabilty".

I guess it could just be a non-issue in the polls despite being a huge issue to anyone paying enough attention.

Last edited:

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the horribly long primary season will have a good effect. If it was shorter, as it usually ought to be, Biden could swoop in, say "Think about it, folks: America," and win the nomination with ease.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Why would I want to watch lobotomy snuff videos?
"Trump tells the truth no matter how rough or expletive filled it is!"

"We knew we elected a rich man who needs a supermodel by his arm!"

"His lies don't bother me!"

How Illinois is saved despite being surrounded by Trump friendly states, I'll never understand.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
So long as he doesn't agree with them on those views, I'm not going to cancel someone.
The only two reasons to voluntarily be around Nazis are (1) you're dumping a milkshake on them or (2) you agree with them.

Just sitting around shooting the shit with them legitimizes them, implies you find their company tolerable. Haven't we spent the last three years saying not to give them a platform or share one with them? Why does Cornel West get to be special Sally who can associate with Nazis yet not get rebuked for it? He's not going to change their minds, he's not going to make them look bad to the people inclined to like them, and if it's about ~~~free speech~~~ or ~~~The Discourse~~~, congratulations, you've just furthered their goal of using and deliberately misunderstanding that principle to launder their hateful ideas into the mainstream.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
So we're actually at the point where objecting to someone sharing a table with Milo and Gavin "Proud Boy in Chief" McInnes - you know, actual fascists - on an alt-right program, thereby going on their turf and legitimizing them, means you're just an imperialist shitlib who can't handle criticism of Obama.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pete's only concrete policy is a court packing method which is, in its particular design, reviewed as absurd, excessive, and even terrible. Yet that gets no mainstream coverage while he gets all of this fawning press for an hour-long foreign policy speech that he had "100+ volunteer FP expert aids" helping him write, and yet it's still mostly vague. This is insulting and I'm not sure why people are going along with it. I was starstruck at first with this guy, and I've donated to him, but this is frustrating and disillusioning to see. I don't know how people keep up with politics so regularly. Seems like you'd have to keep the particulars of it at a cool distance. He's extremely eloquent and I'd like to be excited by him, but all I've seen is waffling, buzzwords, and weird stunts. Wake me up when jackass antics like this are met with the scrutiny of Warren drinking a beer or Beto getting a haircut:

D82ISA6UwAABZWN.jpg:large

The idea of the AA community being more inclined to be homophobic gets more press than this. Could you imagine if another candidate did this? Is there a money trail to follow to help this make more sense? Or is this just par for the course for the early-cycle circus?

Last edited:

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
So we're actually at the point where objecting to someone sharing a table with Milo and Gavin "Proud Boy in Chief" McInnes - you know, actual fascists - on an alt-right program, thereby going on their turf and legitimizing them, means you're just an imperialist shitlib who can't handle criticism of Obama.
The fact that you even had to say this is insane. What a fucking trash take by Kid. Sometimes I'm so grateful for your snark

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
The only two reasons to voluntarily be around Nazis are (1) you're dumping a milkshake on them or (2) you agree with them.

Just sitting around shooting the shit with them legitimizes them, implies you find their company tolerable. Haven't we spent the last three years saying not to give them a platform or share one with them? Why does Cornel West get to be special Sally who can associate with Nazis yet not get rebuked for it? He's not going to change their minds, he's not going to make them look bad to the people inclined to like them, and if it's about ~~~free speech~~~ or ~~~The Discourse~~~, congratulations, you've just furthered their goal of using and deliberately misunderstanding that principle to launder their hateful ideas into the mainstream.
This is the same reason why Pete, and Bernie had town halls there. You think they can't change minds. I disagree and so do they. I'm sure Cornell West disagrees too. I'm not going to act like they're going to make a majority change their stances. Come on, I'm not that naive. That's not the point. They already have a large audience and appearing or rather not appearing on there isn't going to somehow change that.

You don't think it's a good idea to do that for the reason you stated. I stand by the idea that I won't cancel somebody over appearing on there so long as they don't share the same hateful views of them. Calling them a shitbird over it sounds like you guys more or less are done with those particular people, rather than you just disagreeing with their single action(s).

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any likelihood that we'll see a Fiorina style bump from a relatively unknown candidate during the debates?

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any likelihood that we'll see a Fiorina style bump from a relatively unknown candidate during the debates?
Man, the Fiorina and Ben Carson bumps were whack. I don't know, maybe Booker can solidify 6th place with a good performance, or Gillibrand gets a very mini bump, but it's probably going to be tough with so many candidates over two days.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
You don't think it's a good idea to do that for the reason you stated. I stand by the idea that I won't cancel somebody over appearing on there so long as they don't share the same hateful views of them. Calling them a shitbird over it sounds like you guys more or less are done with those particular people, rather than you just disagreeing with their single action(s).
There's a huge different between going on Fox and making the case their policies versus basically making Tucker Carlson's point that the "left" (Read: Liberals) are too damn PC and want to take away your free speech.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
I know its probably anecdotal, tho I think it may represent how people are feeling out there, but Warren snatched back a lot of ground to take a good lead the latest DK Strawpoll. I think it's her first lead since the first one months ago. A lot of comments of Bernie supporters coming her way based on my skimming.

ScreenShot2019-06-11at5.00.17PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.