• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The Florida governor's office created two versions of a June proclamation marking the three-year remembrance of the Pulse night club shooting, according to documents obtained this week by the Tampa Bay Times. One proclamation acknowledged the tragedy's LGBTQ and Hispanic victims. The other did not.
Gov. Ron DeSantis ultimately signed the one that did not.
DeSantis later said that was a mistake and he issued a corrected proclamation recognizing the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities. His office blamed staff error. But the previously unreported documents indicate that someone inside the governor's office had created two drastically different options for DeSantis to send out.
The one draft version declared: "The State of Florida will not tolerate hatred towards the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities and we will stand boldly with Orlando and the Central Florida community against terrorism and hate."
That one initially did not make it out of the governor's office. Instead, DeSantis signed one that omitted the reference to the the victims' sexuality and ethnicity. It also removed the word "hate."
That proclamation stated: "The entire state of Florida has come together to stand boldly with Orlando and the Central Florida community against terrorism."
The records don't make clear why two versions were written or who authored them. DeSantis spokeswoman Helen Aguirre Ferré blamed confusion, saying "the process was circumvented by a staff member" who shouldn't have been involved. A month before the proclamation was issued, emails showed uncertainty between the governor's advance team and his legal staff over who would oversee the remembrance.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
YO6TwNS.jpg

Ali Breland @alibreland

amazing shot of gorka yelling at @BrianKarem in the white house garden over an event on memes bc that's the type of thing our government does now

6:31 PM - Jul 11, 2019

David Frum @davidfrum

Social media summit convened supposedly to protect free speech rights ends with calls for violence against reporters https://twitter.com/katierogers/status/1149438438996942849 …

6:59 AM - Jul 12, 2019

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get not wanting to impeach because you don't have the senate. But why not start an inquiry into impeachment, lay out the case publicly, and then say you'd go through with it if not for the fact that it wouldn't be picked up in the senate. It might even put republicans like Susan Collins under pressure. What's all this about self-impeachment, and arresting him after he leaves office. Why is that pragmatic and not looking into impeachment now, while there's still over a year left in his presidency.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jonathan Swan @jonathanvswan

Sources familiar with the situation say the president's Supreme Court adviser Leonard Leo and other Federalist Society stalwarts were shocked and floored by how "weak" the decision was. https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-census-citizenship-question-conservative-reaction-5a2d3a27-ed8e-4a75-96ca-c89f68379a82.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic …

7:34 AM - Jul 12, 2019

WaPo bit about Leo from last week:

Lawrence Hurley @lawrencehurley

"But conservative legal figures — including Leonard Leo, head of the Federalist Society — have been especially vocal in urging Trump not to stop fighting for the citizenship question, according to advisers close to Trump" https://wapo.st/2Nzjz4h?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.17de69e20885 …

Leonard Leo helps pick the judges and also seems to have increasing influence on the policies that end up being litigated in front of those judges

8:34 PM - Jul 4, 2019

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jonathan Swan @jonathanvswan

Sources familiar with the situation say the president's Supreme Court adviser Leonard Leo and other Federalist Society stalwarts were shocked and floored by how "weak" the decision was. https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-census-citizenship-question-conservative-reaction-5a2d3a27-ed8e-4a75-96ca-c89f68379a82.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic …

7:34 AM - Jul 12, 2019

WaPo bit about Leo from last week:

Lawrence Hurley @lawrencehurley

"But conservative legal figures — including Leonard Leo, head of the Federalist Society — have been especially vocal in urging Trump not to stop fighting for the citizenship question, according to advisers close to Trump" https://wapo.st/2Nzjz4h?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.17de69e20885 …

Leonard Leo helps pick the judges and also seems to have increasing influence on the policies that end up being litigated in front of those judges

8:34 PM - Jul 4, 2019

Of course the federalist society is unhappy he didn't defy the Supreme Court. Of course they are.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a good point? The claim is trump will declare victory because Dems did not impeach. But he's going to claim victory on an even larger basis if and when he's impeached by the House but acquitted by the Senate.
That's covered in the article:
Asserting that a Senate acquittal would allow Trump to claim vindication elides the fact Trump has already claimed vindication, a falsehood which the Democrats' failure to pursue impeachment would only strengthen. It also overlooks how a Senate trial always reinforces either the severity of the alleged crimes and the persuasiveness of the evidence, or the lack thereof. Nixon resigned only when Senate Republicans told him that his case would not survive a trial. Trump's domination of the G.O.P. does make it all but impossible that the Senate would vote to remove him. But evidence presented by the House impeachment managers would enrage independents as well as Democrats, on the eve of the election, putting pressure on vulnerable Senate Republicans as well as on Trump. The electorate would, in effect, do the job that the Senate refused to do.

Last edited:

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Is that a good point? The claim is trump will declare victory because Dems did not impeach. But he's going to claim victory on an even larger basis if and when he's impeached by the House but acquitted by the Senate.

Idk, I get the impeachment thing is frustrating and he deserves it, but when it reaches the Senate its going to get turned into a joke. All that effort only for McConnell to shit on it with zero relevant consequences. The ultimate and only power a Dem House has to get shit on and owned in the end leading up to an election. A DoJ that will ignore any request from the House with a population what doesn't even care to appreciate the significance of such a thing. At best the House can hope for an impeachment that results in Trumps pic being next to Clinton and Jackson's in impeachment lore that nobody will actually give a flying fuck about 5 years later.

Acquittal by the senate isn't the real danger IMO. It's that one of the moderate Ds (MANCHIN) votes to acquit.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, looking at a poll on MSNBC, Biden has AA Voters and Voters Over 50+ in the bag, so unless young people really get out the vote (they wont) he's a shoo-in.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not grumpy all the time"

Ended up going to the protest at my local USCIS office today. There weren't that many people, but I felt like I had to do something.
giphy.gif

The Florida governor's office created two versions of a June proclamation marking the three-year remembrance of the Pulse night club shooting, according to documents obtained this week by the Tampa Bay Times. One proclamation acknowledged the tragedy's LGBTQ and Hispanic victims. The other did not.
Gov. Ron DeSantis ultimately signed the one that did not.
DeSantis later said that was a mistake and he issued a corrected proclamation recognizing the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities. His office blamed staff error. But the previously unreported documents indicate that someone inside the governor's office had created two drastically different options for DeSantis to send out.
The one draft version declared: "The State of Florida will not tolerate hatred towards the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities and we will stand boldly with Orlando and the Central Florida community against terrorism and hate."
That one initially did not make it out of the governor's office. Instead, DeSantis signed one that omitted the reference to the the victims' sexuality and ethnicity. It also removed the word "hate."
That proclamation stated: "The entire state of Florida has come together to stand boldly with Orlando and the Central Florida community against terrorism."
The records don't make clear why two versions were written or who authored them. DeSantis spokeswoman Helen Aguirre Ferré blamed confusion, saying "the process was circumvented by a staff member" who shouldn't have been involved. A month before the proclamation was issued, emails showed uncertainty between the governor's advance team and his legal staff over who would oversee the remembrance.

DeRacist living up to his name again. #GillumWasRight

But his Moderate Darling schtick means he will be re-elected. But in this case I can't specifically blame Florida. It's happened here in MA with Baker. Of course in FL at least they have term limits....

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
yeah this is something I hear conservatives say a lot. but as far as I know, emergency rooms will still bill you for their services. They just won't turn you away for not having insurance. which obviously has nothing to do with medicare for all.

Kind of.

Emergency rooms have to take everyone, whether or not you can pay. In the case of people who OBVIOUSLY have no ability to pay like the homeless or the undocumented who don't speak the language they don't get billed, the expense is just written off.

Even those who can technically pay, but are uninsured or destitute can usually have their medical bills negotiated down or written off entirely, if they're persistent about it.

edit: notably, the homeless/destitute/completely undocumented/uninsured tend to use the ER *for everything* including non emergencies because of this, which aggravates the issue. I frequently have to have conversations with new employees that aren't used to having insurance that if they have an issue going to a primary care doctor or even an urgent care is FAR less expensive than running to the emergency room when you have an earache or other minor health issue.

Obviously this raises the costs for those who use the ER who *DO* have the ability to pay, which is less than ideal. Those with insurance are subsidizing those without.

Last edited:

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really get the point of impeachment? It's July 2019. 15 months to an election?

The entire process is going to drag. You still will have to deal with the courts, even if they're expedited. And there's A LOT of stuff they will be dealing with and I want them to get as much nailed down as they can before the excuse of "it's too close to the elections" becomes an excuse that not even I can ignore.

The Trump administrations crimes are LEGION. Watergate and Slick Willy and Andrew Johnson don't even compare to the mountain trail of shit that we're dealing with today. And we're talking a process that will stretch on for a year minimum in just the House.

I seriously don't think people here appreciate yet just how criminal this administration is, and if that's the case here among what I consider the well-informed, then the general public knows literally nothing. Which is why daily hearings and evidence into the vast array of crimes continuing for over a year is needed.

I want his crimes to dominate the conversation from today to forever instead of the same status quo for the last 3 years including the '16 election cycle: where a NYT/WaPo/Buzzfeed article comes out and gets people's blood hot for a minute and CNN/MSNBC all feeling tingly before disappearing into the hyperspeed news cycle after a couple of days. People just don't have the ability to process this information, which leads to the incorrect assumption that the people don't care so why bother.

We gotta keep fucking that chicken. Start the Inquiry. If moderate Dems and Repubs still feel like "vindicating" Trump after a year of crime digging, then that's on them and it's up to us to annihilate them all in 2020 and beyond.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The entire process is going to drag. You still will have to deal with the courts, even if they're expedited. And there's A LOT of stuff they will be dealing with and I want them to get as much nailed down as they can before the excuse of "it's too close to the elections" becomes an excuse that not even I can ignore.

The Trump administrations crimes are LEGION. Watergate and Slick Willy and Andrew Johnson don't even compare to the mountain trail of shit that we're dealing with today. And we're talking a process that will stretch on for a year minimum in just the House.

I seriously don't think people here appreciate yet just how criminal this administration is, and if that's the case here among what I consider the well-informed, then the general public knows literally nothing. Which is why daily hearings and evidence into the vast array of crimes continuing for over a year is needed.

I want his crimes to dominate the conversation from today to forever instead of the same status quo for the last 3 years including the '16 election cycle: where a NYT/WaPo/Buzzfeed article comes out and gets people's blood hot for a minute and CNN/MSNBC all feeling tingly before disappearing into the hyperspeed news cycle after a couple of days. People just don't have the ability to process this information, which leads to the incorrect assumption that the people don't care so why bother.

We gotta keep fucking that chicken. Start the Inquiry. If moderate Dems and Repubs still feel like "vindicating" Trump after a year of crime digging, then that's on them and it's up to us to annihilate them all in 2020 and beyond.

They should have started impeachment hearings the second the Mueller Report came out and hammered everything in that report home and out in the open

No one was gonna read it anyways and the longer we stay silent on it the less tolerant the ignorant masses are gonna be of the constant media blitz

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
That's a poor justification for the House to abdicate their Constitutional duties.

And your original argument might as well have come from Mitch McConnell himself.
There isn't even a majority in the House that will initiate articles of impeachment.

If a floor vote is called it will fail.

Is that supposed to be a good look?

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
There isn't even a majority in the House that will initiate articles of impeachment.

If a floor vote is called it will fail.

Is that supposed to be a good look?

This has been a problem for months, and I have no idea why the pro impeachment crowd has not mobilized against this.

There are dems in the house that will not vote for impeachment. If you want it, convince them.

Oct 27, 2017
Miami/etc is unfortunately going to flood before the red areas of Florida like the panhandle that we need to make part of Alabama.

The difference is that there is enough money and goods that come through Miami and the port, that it actually makes fiscal sense to armor-up and elevate a Miami, where doing the same for a Pensacola or a Panama City wouldn't.

I expect coastal NC and the Mid-Atlantic states to succumb before Miami-metro

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Where have you been the last 2 years?
The difference with this was the bullshit bait and switch.
"we are going to announce later. today how we are going to specifically fuck people like Plagiarize."
Time passes.
"lol joking."

This wasn't the usual tell a lie that we all know is a lie thing. This was specifically scaring all non citizens because they're petty assholes that couldn't just take the L on the Supreme Court ruling.

When I said borderline abusive, obviously this admin have done loads of other abusive shit to millions of people. But this was an intentional psychological attack of a different (read that as 'new' not worse or first) kind.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
The difference is that there is enough money and goods that come through Miami and the port, that it actually makes fiscal sense to armor-up and elevate a Miami, where doing the same for a Pensacola or a Panama City wouldn't.

I don't know if that's possible. Sure, they could take efforts to protect key economic centers, but the greater Miami area is a basically a collection of islands, marshes and sandbars. It's just too big a problem to tackle logistically.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Glad Acosta is gone, now hopefully this gains even more media attention and the focus is entirely on Trump's association with Epstein.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if that's possible. Sure, they could take efforts to protect key economic centers, but the greater Miami area is a basically a collection of islands, marshes and sandbars. It's just too big a problem to tackle logistically.
isn't their local water supply about to get contaminated with salt water, too? i was expecting Miami to get wrecked economically by the need to change its water infrastructure way sooner than I was expecting it to go full Atlantis.

Oct 25, 2017

You can't make a seawall to protect the city like New Orleans. Florida has porous bedrock and will flood regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.