• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Aaron

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
He folded on the citizenship question, Acosta resigned, and USCMA looks unlikely to pass

aLl He DoEs Is WiN

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't even a majority in the House that will initiate articles of impeachment.

If a floor vote is called it will fail.

Is that supposed to be a good look?
Yeah this has been my sticking point even as I am increasingly frustrated by Pelosi's lame-ass messaging (or lack thereof). They've got 80 confirmed votes, and while I'm sure there are a number of sideline-sitters who would ultimately vote for impeachment if it came up, it would almost surely fail.

And of course Pelosi has significant sway over the caucus, but I don't think aggressive impeachment talk from her is gonna get them from 80+ to 218 alone.

That doesn't mean I'm satisfied with her being so passive about it, though.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

JM Rieger @RiegerReport

Q: Did you know Buttigieg in college?

MOULTON: "No. I think we hung out w/ different groups of friends. Not at all, I was not hanging out w/ Harvard Dems."

Q: "What was your friend group like?"

M: "Athletes. People who went out and had a good time."https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/11/seth-moulton-trump-biden-debate-1408537 …

9:26 AM - Jul 12, 2019

Translation: "Fuckin' nerds!"

And look at this fresh take on how to apologize:

And I think the second thing that I saw ... the big headline was just Harris vs. Biden. And, you know, like, I don't know why Biden didn't just say — and look I value him as a mentor and a friend, he's a great guy — but why didn't he just say, 'Look, if I offended you, I'm sorry.

Oct 26, 2017
Glad Acosta is gone, now hopefully this gains even more media attention and the focus is entirely on Trump's association with Epstein.

Exaaaactly....

I was worried both the GOP and Pelosi would be content with keeping the attention on Acosta and Epstein, instead of the Trump / Epstein connections.

Now Trump & co. are back on the menu.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah this has been my sticking point even as I am increasingly frustrated by Pelosi's lame-ass messaging (or lack thereof). They've got 80 confirmed votes, and while I'm sure there are a number of sideline-sitters who would ultimately vote for impeachment if it came up, it would almost surely fail.

And of course Pelosi has significant sway over the caucus, but I don't think aggressive impeachment talk from her is gonna get them from 80+ to 218 alone.

Why does how many people would vote to impeach now matter? There is evidence gathering and public testimony before you get to that point. Whether you think of it as making the case to the house members or their constituents doesnt matter.

The case has yet to be presented. It's ass backwards to point out that only 80 people are going to vote to impeach him currently.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure these detention centers had no warning and have not staged everything to look perfect?

Oct 26, 2017
Also this is one of the few (perhaps only?) instance where someone in the Trump administration was fired for behavior/actions they did prior to serving in the Trump admin.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYT

NEW: Falling in Iowa & outraised by @ewarren, @BernieSanders allies + advisers want him to lean more into his bio, train his fire on....@JoeBiden

"I do think he's going to have to draw a contrast with the vice president," sez @RoKhanna

w @melbournecoal https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/us/politics/bernie-sanders-2020-campaign.html …

Bernie's longtime adviser JEFF WEAVER >

"If you want somebody who's going to talk about their cooking, their dog, their wardrobe, travel habits, or favorite books, Bernie Sanders is not your candidate."

"This is not a popularity contest or a find-a-friend contest"

10:06 AM - Jul 12, 2019

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

JM Rieger @RiegerReport

Q: Did you know Buttigieg in college?

MOULTON: "No. I think we hung out w/ different groups of friends. Not at all, I was not hanging out w/ Harvard Dems."

Q: "What was your friend group like?"

M: "Athletes. People who went out and had a good time."https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/11/seth-moulton-trump-biden-debate-1408537 …

9:26 AM - Jul 12, 2019

Lol, that's pretty funny.

Matt Yglesias also just mentioned on the Weeds how his time overlapped with Buttigieg, and they crossed paths a few times. Yglesias didn't know him as well as he knew Jared Kushner, but pretty funny that they all crossed paths.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Credit to Trump. He said he'd drain the swamp and he has been consistently doing that since he got to DC.

Trouble is, he's draining the swamp he brought with him. Another swamp creature added to Maddow's board.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure these detention centers had no warning and have not staged everything to look perfect?

That last sentence...how did she fall for that, I'm really surprised. The agency's own IG report already detailed the conditions. All the other stories had come out. The visits and photos from last week were from congresspeople and activists. Which reporters are invited for this tour-along?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if that's possible. Sure, they could take efforts to protect key economic centers, but the greater Miami area is a basically a collection of islands, marshes and sandbars. It's just too big a problem to tackle logistically.
You can't make a seawall to protect the city like New Orleans. Florida has porous bedrock and will flood regardless

That's why new construction on the coasts are mainly elevated. FEMA ensures that through our NFIP program.

The real pickle is the cost for elevating streets and infrastructure, and how to harden the electrical grid to accommodate the desalination plants the region will need when the aquifers are full of salt water

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
They should have started impeachment hearings the second the Mueller Report came out and hammered everything in that report home and out in the open

No one was gonna read it anyways and the longer we stay silent on it the less tolerant the ignorant masses are gonna be of the constant media blitz

Correct. Honestly I wanted it started day 1 after house takeover, but was willing to wait on Mueller so we can add the crimes discovered there to an already massive scoreboard. I also wanted him subpoenaed the day after Iran Contra's memo, along with the rest of his team and guys like Rick Gates and George Nader.

Impeachment inquiry will be the process to convincing Dems not to be collaborators to Trump and the GOP's massive crimes. We're talking a year before we have to worry about floor votes. Let the committees do their thing with the full power of the House and the media at their call. Nothing less for what is the worst existential situation this country has been in since the Civil War.

Larry called this, not that it wasn't obvious this was going to happen regardless:

It's clear that Alex Acosta lied repeatedly about the sweetheart deal he struck with Epstein. My bet: When Barr invents some fake new theory to defend Acosta's refusal to testify in Congress about those lies, Acosta will resign rather than be torn to shreds in cross-examination.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman

NEWS … ROBERT MUELLER'S testimony is likely to be delayed, and the two sides are talking about a longer appearance on Capitol Hill.

Our sources on Capitol Hill tell us Mueller will come up on 7/24. Situation is fluid.

this with @AndrewDesiderio @BresPolitico and @kyledcheney

10:16 AM - Jul 12, 2019

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney

BREAKING: MUELLER HEARING DELAYED ONE WEEK TO 7/24, according to two lawmakers on the panel.

JUDICIARY COMMITTEE WILL GET THREE HOURS INSTEAD OF TWO

Story with @AndrewDesiderio coming shortly.

10:15 AM - Jul 12, 2019

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute. I just noticed the "journalism at work folks".

Is that sarcasm? Lol. The Vice President will be touring concentration camps that his admin supports. At best, we see the terrible conditions we already know about. At worst, it'll make the detention centers look habitable and sanitary. I'm not sure what she's getting at.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman

NEWS … ROBERT MUELLER'S testimony is likely to be delayed, and the two sides are talking about a longer appearance on Capitol Hill.

Our sources on Capitol Hill tell us Mueller will come up on 7/24. Situation is fluid.

this with @AndrewDesiderio @BresPolitico and @kyledcheney

10:16 AM - Jul 12, 2019

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney

BREAKING: MUELLER HEARING DELAYED ONE WEEK TO 7/24, according to two lawmakers on the panel.

JUDICIARY COMMITTEE WILL GET THREE HOURS INSTEAD OF TWO

Story with @AndrewDesiderio coming shortly.

10:15 AM - Jul 12, 2019

At first I was pissed, but sounds like it's because they have too much ground to cover?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

NEW: Falling in Iowa & outraised by @ewarren, @BernieSanders allies + advisers want him to lean more into his bio, train his fire on....@JoeBiden

"I do think he's going to have to draw a contrast with the vice president," sez @RoKhanna

w @melbournecoal https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/us/politics/bernie-sanders-2020-campaign.html …

"If you want somebody who's going to talk about their cooking, their dog, their wardrobe, travel habits, or favorite books, Bernie Sanders is not your candidate."

Except voters do treat it like a popularity contest.

Why this campaign continues to take cues from people like Jeff Weaver I don't understand.

OP
OP
Aaron

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

You mean the most effective way of winning a primary is by bringing down the frontrunner? Who would have fucking thought!

If Biden wins because the runner-up candidates are too focused on sniping at each other it will be an exact repeat of Trump's primary win in 2016. Trump actually wasn't that strong of a candidate, he just floated to the top of a field of a bunch of Republicans who were too afraid to attack him for fear of upsetting his base (that was going to vote for him no matter what). They all should have dropped out and coalesced around a non-Trump candidate.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Trump looks comical ranting right here. Nose running like a fucking infant, skin an iridescent orange, lying through his teeth.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah no, Weaver. These elections very much are popularity contests. Policies just happen to factor into said popularity.

OP
OP
Aaron

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Will any cabinet position have stayed filled throughout Trump's presidency?

I guess Elaine Chao, Rick Perry and Ben Carson will have been there from the beginning.

State, Defense, Attorney General, Interior, Labor, Health & Human Services, Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security have all had mid-term replacements. Defense and Homeland Security are still acting secretaries.

Mnuchin (Treasury), Perdue (Agriculture), Ross (Commerce RIP), Carson (HUD), Chao (Transportation), Perry (Energy) and DeVos (Uneducation) have all lasted since their initial confirmations.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
BACKED UP

this fuckin guy

I wonder if Trump is so dumb that reverse psychology would work on him? He is so adverse to admitting he was wrong, I wonder if some reporter asked him what was wrong with him and why he wasn't man enough to have sex with underage girls at Epstein's party like all the other cool rich people, would he be like "No, No, I did!"

The only problem with that is you could probably get him to admit he was Obama by asking him questions in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.