• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, making shit up certainly helps. Keep up your Samaritan work.
https://amp.businessinsider.com/steny-hoyer-freshman-democrats-ilhan-omar-israel-aipac-2019-3
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-hits-out-at-everyone-who-called-his-tweets-racist

I just imagined this, right?

Ok, y'all, I understand that people are trying to thread a pattern here, but can we focus on the bigger picture.

My own views on Omar are complicated and nuanced. As they are with most politicians. I personally have criticized her before in the past and stand by those criticisms, just as I stand by the moments where I have defended her.

I just don't know what some of you are getting at here. If you've ever had a criticism of Omar...then what? You're not allowed to defend her here? Is that the "gotcha" some of you are looking for?

It's just really superficial and petty.
"It was wrong to give Trump an easy layup." I promise you, it will not hurt to type that.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Put a video of that alongside a video of Pelosi and then take a poll who Democrats prefer. I guarantee it isn't close.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Pelosi isn't going to suddenly support impeachment now and it's going to make people mad again. So don't get your hopes up.

But please please Pelosi don't fucking say something to make it worse.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi not being on camera or being unwilling to offer a full-throated attack on that shit head should be getting roasted by the national media.

Coward as always. More willing to attack Omar than she is Donald Trump. Absolutely gutless.

The progressives are right. It's going to take ousting pathetic people like Pelosi and members of the GOP to bring about real change in this country.

There will always be a moderate standing in the way or running interference for horrible people who share the same class and race as them.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
This political landscape is setting up perfectly for a minority woman to go up against Trump in 2020.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Mitten's third attempt:

Mitt Romney @MittRomney

The president's comments were destructive, demeaning, and disunifying. The President of the United States has a unique and noble calling to unite the American people – of all different races, colors, and national origins. In that respect, the president failed badly.

People can disagree over politics and policy, but telling American citizens to go back to where they came from is over the line.

5:41 PM - Jul 15, 2019

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi not being on camera or being unwilling to offer a full-throated attack on that shit head should be getting roasted by the national media.

Coward as always. More willing to attack Omar than she is Donald Trump. Absolutely gutless.

The progressives are right. It's going to take ousting pathetic people like Pelosi and members of the GOP to bring about real change in this country.

There will always be a moderate standing in the way or running interference for horrible people who share the same class and race as them.
Purity and Power are mutually exclusive in politics.

I will never understand people for whom losing every battle is preferable to actual progress.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Mitten's third attempt:

Mitt Romney @MittRomney

The president's comments were destructive, demeaning, and disunifying. The President of the United States has a unique and noble calling to unite the American people – of all different races, colors, and national origins. In that respect, the president failed badly.

People can disagree over politics and policy, but telling American citizens to go back to where they came from is over the line.

5:41 PM - Jul 15, 2019

What happens if you cross the line?

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's predictable to see the red-baiting and McCarthyism over the last few weeks. It's the oldest play in the book. Everyone you disagree with is a commie.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like making the election about racism will benefit Democrats now far more than it did Trump in 2016.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Purity and Power are mutually exclusive in politics.

I will never understand people for whom losing every battle is preferable to actual progress.
I'm not sure where you are seeing progress over the old ways of doing things. This is what compromise has wrought on this country.

You call it purity tests to obtain power. I see the powerful doing nothing to protect the union. If you have no principles but outside of fundraising we are well beyond a functioning opposition party. The rightward, racist movement of this country is no coincidence. The pragmatism and third-way movement has moved the polarity of this country to a point where the current state has become acceptable to you.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The moderates have been complacent and either need to be spurred to take action or voted the fuck out.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Donald Trump said Omar praised Al Qaeda and hates Jews today.

Yet Pelosi is at war with Omar and wants to work with Trump.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
In polling on the electorates list of priorities they value for voting for a Presidential candidate I wonder where fucking Israel ranks on that list.

I mean it's a trick question because unless it's a push poll Israel won't be on the list at all.

This is probably attributing too much thinking to Trump but it would square with the reports that he's trying to juice evangelical turnout.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure where you are seeing progress over the old ways of doing things. This is what compromise has wrought on this country.

You call it purity tests to obtain power. I see the powerful doing nothing to protect the union. If you have no principles but outside of fundraising we are well beyond a functioning opposition party. The rightward, racist movement of this country is no coincidence. The pragmatism and third-way movement has moved the polarity of this country to a point where the current state has become acceptable to you.
Because we got the ACA passed under Obama, relying heavily on those conservative swing districts. Pelosi is deferential to those areas because they're the hardest areas for us to win election is and our majority is specifically dependent on them. Not as much as in '06/'08 in the House thankfully, but they're still there (see: Conor Lamb) but it's now overwhelmingly so in the Senate. If we get a President Warren/Harris/etc. and the Senate, our 50th Senator might be Joe Manchin because we lost so many seats that we can no longer win back over the past decade due to the nationalization of politics.

The Union is going to have issues because the Senate is going to break it eventually. The principle here is not "fundraising" it is winning elections because they're what gives you power. Pragmatism gets shit done. AOC leveraging a half-hispanic district and specifically targeting Hispanic voters rather than just a lefty ideological econ message was "pragmatism." AOC could not win an election in all 435 house districts, nor could she win an election in every House district the Dems currently hold. Yes, politics IS a game, in the sense that we hold an electoral competition to decide who to give power to. And because it's a game, you need to play that fucking game.
Purity IS power to the opposition.

"Losing"

Kirb, we've been losing nationally and locally for a decade.

Your solution is to just keep doing the same thing.
Not where I live. My area's been grinding and chipping away for a quarter century at the GOP and we're about to go full blue state.

And we started losing elections the moment Obama got elected nationally. You know, the same damn thing that happens to every goddamn President's party the moment they take office, because Negative Enthusiasm really does rule all for the same reason clickbait works. But of course you and others are going to keep pretending this phenomenon isn't a thing, because blaming it on a person or leadership allows you to pretend that it's something that could possibly be changed if WE ONLY DID *thing that aligns with pre-existing political views* instead of acknowledging its a structural pattern in US politics.

And your wording is telling. You say "opposition." The goal is not to be a permanent opposition party!

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017

FUCKING HOLY SHIT

WTF

"The agent asked her who she wanted to go with, mom or dad," her mother, Tania, told NPR through an interpreter. "And the girl, because she is more attached to me, she said mom. But when they started to take [my husband] away, the girl started to cry. The officer said, 'You said [you want to go] with mom.' "

How can anyone read this and stay cool

This is the grossest fucking shit man

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
"It was wrong to give Trump an easy layup." I promise you, it will not hurt to type that.

It wouldn't hurt to type that, but I ain't gonna type that, because it's not me boo boo.

Y'all really need to get this, because we see it play out every other week. Donald Trump and his Butthurt Republican Crew will come down on any side of an argument they perceive as advantageous to them. And you have almost no control over this. We've seen this at work! When it comes to Ilhan Omar suddenly Republicans care about antisemitism? When it comes to AOC suddenly Republicans care about defending Nancy Pelosi's honor? My big, black, supple twerkin ass!

I get being cautious of what you say, but Republicans operate on a level of bad faith so extreme at this point that it's fundamentally useless to even try to put any stock into it. Fuck them. I mean it's that simple at this point.

So if I have a criticism that I feel is valid, or a praise that I feel is valid, I'm going to say it. Because I don't give a shit about what Trump thinks or is going to say about it. Fuck what Trump thinks or says. I said what Isaid. Becaue Trump has demonstrated, on countless occasions, that he's going to do what he wants regardless of whether or you give him an "excuse" or a "layup."

Last edited:

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

David Wright @DavidWright_CNN

John Delaney lent his campaign an additional $7.75 million in Q2 of 2019 -- he has now loaned/contributed a total of just over $24 million to his 2020 bid. His campaign *raised* just under $285,000 in the quarter. https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/2020-election-campaign-fundraising/index.html …
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1150887239334993922
5:57 PM - Jul 15, 2019

Is his campaign a cry for help?

Like...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.