• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you are just talking about the House blocking Trump's agenda, I'm fully prepared for executive action.
Barr is probably helping him cook up something totally fucked up for the months and perhaps even weeks leading up to the election.
Trumps racism didn't seem to help during the midterms. Hard to imagine a legally questionable executive racism would work well for him.

Oct 27, 2017

That's reassuring, I guess. Something positive.

That's scary as shit. It's nice that professionals ignore a fascist bigot, but what happens when they decide Bernie or Warren are also not worth listening to?

This is the problem with nuking norms: eventually everyone works towards their own priorities, with little oversight.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
That's scary as shit. It's nice that professionals ignore a fascist bigot, but what happens when they decide Bernie or Warren are also not worth listening to?

This is the problem with nuking norms: eventually everyone works towards their own priorities, with little oversight.

Agreed. Just because it's happening when there is an unstable and dangerous moron in the White House does not mean that it is a good thing that people in the intelligence community are feeling like they can just ignore the president.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Is there even a challenger on the Democratic side yet? I know Eastman is running again for Bacon's seat, but I haven't heard anything on the Senate side.

Regardless I would eat a hat if there was a Democratic Senator from my state anytime soon.

I think the only person running for Senate right now is Chris Janicek who ran in the primary in 2018. It'd be nice to see someone halfway decent at least attempt to run. Raybould was blown out of the water in 2018, but at least she was credible and out-raised Fischer in small dollar donations.

I don't have high hopes for a good challenger to Bacon tbh. I liked Eastman in 2018, but if she couldn't pull off a win in 2018, I just don't see her being able to make it in 2020 either. Former Rep. Brad Ashford's wife, Ann Ashford is also running, but fundraising for both her and Eastman has been anemic. There's a few other nobodies who have entered the race as well.

State Sen. Sara Howard would be the perfect candidate imo. She's term limited out of the Unicameral, so she'd have nothing to lose in running. State Sen. Tony Vargas would be another great choice, but there's been chatter about him running for Omaha mayor in 2021.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

Agreed. Just because it's happening when there is an unstable and dangerous moron in the White House does not mean that it is a good thing that people in the intelligence community are feeling like they can just ignore the president.

But they're ignoring him because they have a defined job to do. Any other president would want them to do their defined job.

Oct 30, 2017

Keep in mind that a lot of these agencies also don't have any real leadership enforcing rules or norms right now, either. If a Dem president comes in, they're also basically guaranteed to clean house of Trump loyalists and get the various agencies back up into working order again. You won't have this kind of situation at all.

Oct 27, 2017
But they're ignoring him because they have a defined job to do. Any other president would want them to do their defined job.

True, but the point of the Executive and his sphere of power is that you execute legal orders in the manner they are instructed to you by your chain of command, of which POTUS sits singly atop of. The purpose is that we can't have line people questioning decisions in emergencies. There was a saying when I worked with the Feds: "This office is a democracy-free zone"

What's even scarier is that this government official is just saying this shit so freely to Tapper like he was giving his opinion on the NBA playoffs. The federal government is damn near feral at this point

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Havard Post-debate

More like Havarti. Pee yew! C+ rank pollster.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I generally agree, and I've been against this whole deep state thing since the inauguration but... I don't see anything to be concerrned about here? Ignoring the President's rambling is fine as long as they listen when the President is specifically talking to them

Midterm title
OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Everybody, have you Hurd?

If you're in the game, then Serving Your Country by Taking a Rich Job in the Tech Sector's the word!

(best rock song, prove me wrong).

To add actual informational content:

Will Hurd, the last black member of the GOP House Caucus went by the wayside, being the 6th in two weeks to declare this.

Some analysis from 538 about that:

The takeaway is that it's not about purging minorities and women from the party per se, but about purging minorities and women who lean into their identity. Like how Liz Cheney will cruise along fine for deciding that she has a better stake to life in Wyoming than the Cheyenne nation.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What's kind of weird, and maybe refreshing, is that these two debates have actually had some substance in them, unlike the rodeo from this time in 2015. Usually after two debates with substance you feel maybe ready to call a winner, but for this cycle it's just getting started.

I also find it funny that the media were expecting to see Biden get attacked, but weren't expecting any scrutiny of Obama-era anything - and were thus caught flat-footed and wouldn't join in the criticism (even though they never felt anything stop them before).

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
What's kind of weird, and maybe refreshing, is that these two debates have actually had some substance in them, unlike the rodeo from this time in 2015. Usually after two debates with substance you feel maybe ready to call a winner, but for this cycle it's just getting started.

I also find it funny that the media were expecting to see Biden get attacked, but weren't expecting any scrutiny of Obama-era anything - and were thus caught flat-footed and wouldn't join in the criticism (even though they never felt anything stop them before).

Dick size debate wasnt substantive?

Oct 28, 2017

The thing is, every law is always just a norm, especially if the people tasked with upholding and making laws are accountable to the public. The only way that laws would actually be binding if you would have a system like the current supreme court, but with incredibly wide-ranging enforcement powers (which of course would be highly undemocratic). Otherwise (i.e. as it always has been) laws only mean something if the majority of the public agrees with them, so laws are basically nothing else than the currently accepted norms of the mass public. The sooner people realize that, in a democracy the people are solely responsible with upholding the law, the better.

Edit:
As long as we think representatives (who write laws and enforce them) should be accountable to the public, how can laws not be viewed as norms (assuming laws cannot be instantaneously and continuously changed)? Otherwise do you think it would be better to enforce a law that, for example, 95 percent of the public disagrees with? Now, of course that would be a valid viewpoint, but you would have to accept that you then are a republican (small R) and not a democrat (small D).

Last edited:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when daily press briefings were a thing? Not just Trump's fat ass lumbering in front of a helicopter to drown out all noise?

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
For so long as politics exists so too must the weekly clarification that yes Fox News is a good pollster

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

People really thought Ratcliffe would be confirmed DNI? Lol his withdrawal was pretty obvious

And no way is Nunes confirmed either fyi

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow, Fox News is A pollster on 538, WTF?
As people s aid, fix news runs a functional polling operation.The pollster that behaves like you'd expect fox to is called Rasmussen.it exists to push conservative narratives and sometimes returns to normal numbers at election time only for the plausible deniability.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The most surprising thing in that 538 analysis was finding out some in the GOP see Liz Cheney as a future presidential candidate.

Please.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

I think you're reading too much into it. They're just saying they don't base their priorities on whatever the fuck Trump spits out in unofficial channels.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
It's almost like Biden and his terrible, no good, horrible moderateness is popular with the Democratic electorate. 🤔

(Obviously things can shift and good quality polls are needed, etc). I hate to say it, but bad Nate was right.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
This is so garbage.
Divine light only work on bacteria, flu is a virus, it doesn't have a cell walls.
You need orbs for viral infections ffs.

You mean someone who believes in the healing power of divine light might not have even an elementary school student's understanding of microorganisms? The hell you say.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I should have filled my body with divine light when I had the swine flu

Instead of having a fever that caused me to hallucinate of a zombie outbreak, such that it took me half an hour to get out of bed and crawl on the floor to my computer to check CNN to confirm in that I was having hallucinations and there was indeed, no zombie outbreak.

As others have said, one of the most legit polling firms out there. Which is just confounding. Don't know why Roger Ailes did not just drop them and go with Rasmussen's ass polls instead.

In order to craft good disinformation, you must have proper information.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Who cares about bacteria, viruses and all this other nonsense when the much larger threat of WiFi signals are slowly melting our brains every single day?!

Status
Not open for further replies.