• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that Hillary has been fighting for healthcare reform for a long long time.

That title is super click baity. She was talking about not gutting Obamacare as she didn't think single payer could pass in the political climate. She has talked and supported single payer in the past.

It's almost as if she went through a hideously protracted and painful process trying to reform health care once...

Lmao, just because people our general age don't listen to radio (though I still do in the car, but music only- any talk and I change the station) doesn't mean it's dead. Do you know who still listens to the radio? Boomers.

These right wing fuckwits know what they are doing. Radio is the perfect audience for their bullshit.

One thing that absolutely fuels progressive disillusion is an inability to actually understand the opponent. Republicans, at least at higher levels, are really smart about understanding liberal rhetoric, tactics, and venues and twisting them to sell the stereotype downstream. Assuming that radio isn't a huge source of conservative rhetoric and ideology is misunderstanding and underestimating the reach of conservative tactics.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck?

Is she trying to 1-up the other candidates or drive the conversation? This is an example of "the highest bid" being a detractor, imo.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

PPP North Carolina poll from August 12-13 from 508 NC voters, 40% Dem, 40% GOP, 20% Independent

Trump approval rating: 45-52 (46-49 from PPP poll from June 20th), 36-59 among Independents (43-51 from June 20th poll)
Cooper approval rating: 48-33 (40-41 from June 20th poll), 29-55 from Repub voters (11-75 from June 20th poll), 43-26 among Independents (36-36 from June 20th poll)

Rest of poll

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that absolutely fuels progressive disillusion is an inability to actually understand the opponent. Republicans, at least at higher levels, are really smart about understanding liberal rhetoric, tactics, and venues and twisting them to sell the stereotype downstream. Assuming that radio isn't a huge source of conservative rhetoric and ideology is misunderstanding and underestimating the reach of conservative tactics.
I'm not misunderstanding the tactics or the venue. I'm a child of the 80's and I saw first hand the idea take hold. I'm arguing that it's not as effective as it was previously because they're now preaching to the choir. Moving forward if they want to convince the more liberal gen x, millennial, z electorate, radio won't be as effective. The tactics you're speaking to filter down, to people who aren't as engaged, through social media and the state tv far more effectively than Rush Limbaugh

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Jeff Jackson will not run against Tillis in 2020, I think the plan is getting back the majority with redistricting with Common Cause v. Lewis, get some stuff done i.e. Medicaid Expansion to shore up support, then he'll run in 2022 when Burr retires.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not misunderstanding the tactics or the venue. I'm a child of the 80's and I saw first hand the idea take hold. I'm arguing that it's not as effective as it was previously because they're now preaching to the choir. Moving forward if they want to convince the more liberal gen x, millennial, z electorate, radio won't be as effective. The tactics you're speaking to filter down, to people who aren't as engaged, through social media and the state tv far more effectively than Rush Limbaugh

That I can see as a fair point.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Jeff Jackson will not run against Tillis in 2020, I think the plan is getting back the majority with redistricting with Common Cause v. Lewis, get some stuff done i.e. Medicaid Expansion to shore up support, then he'll run in 2022 when Burr retires.

Probably for the best - Cal Cunningham is looking like our best recruit here unless Janet Cowell decides to jump in.

Seems as though Cooper is going to waltz to re-election as well, which is excellent. If our presidential nominee wins the state, I think it's very likely we'll win a majority in the state legislature, especially if the Supreme Court (now 6-1 Democratic partly thanks to the Republican supermajority's antics) rules in our favor on the redistricting case moving through the courts.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Probably for the best - Cal Cunningham is looking like our best recruit here unless Janet Cowell decides to jump in.

Seems as though Cooper is going to waltz to re-election as well, which is excellent. If our presidential nominee wins the state, I think it's very likely we'll win a majority in the state legislature, especially if the Supreme Court (now 6-1 Democratic partly thanks to the Republican supermajority's antics) rules in our favor on the redistricting case moving through the courts.
the only silver lining to SCOTUS' decision on gerrymandering is that, at least in a case like this, Republicans have nowhere to appeal to if the NC Supreme Court rules in favor on the redistricting case.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
When/If a recession hits, Trump will literally have nothing to say in 2020.

"I'm the least racist person you'll ever meet!! Just look at the unempl.....nothing."

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
well criminal prosecution is what you threaten when you want to do a mandatory buyback but you don't actually want to go door to door

I've always sort of assumed that's what banning guns would look like in a country with so many

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
.Seems as though Cooper is going to waltz to re-election as well, which is excellent. If our presidential nominee wins the state, I think it's very likely we'll win a majority in the state legislature, especially if the Supreme Court (now 6-1 Democratic partly thanks to the Republican supermajority's antics) rules in our favor on the redistricting case moving through the courts.

Case in point from conservative think tank pollster Civitas

Civitas/Harper Polling from 500 likely voters from August 1st-4th, MoE 4.3%

Cooper: 48
Forest: 36
Undecided: 15

Cooper: 47
McCrory:38
Undecided: 14

Cooper: 48
Grange: 30
Undecided: 22

Rest of poll

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder of where the Democrats were at before Bernie came along

f9mesl01veg31.jpg
And she was 100% correct.

Just because Bernie's willing to lead people on and pretend that it's possible to get the votes for it doesn't mean that it's actually possible to get the votes for it.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I'm fairly certain that experts say an AR is actually one of the worse choices for home defense. Too unweildy. Shotguns are useful since you don't need to be super accurate.

Definitely could be wrong though.

Right, AR-15s are long and unwieldy in close quarters. They're more suited for target shooting or hunting. If you had to have a gun for home self defense, a handgun would me much more suitable. Or you could just use a bat or a knife, which for 99 percent of people would be more than enough.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

What in the Sam Hill is this shit?

U.S. Rep. Steve King told the Westside Conservative Club Wednesday that humanity might not exist if not for rape and incest throughout human history.

"What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?" he said in Urbandale, Iowa. "Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can't say that I was not a part of a product of that."

The Kiron Republican was discussing his defense of not allowing exceptions for rape and incest in the anti-abortion legislation he tried to pass in Congress. Republican leadership had prevented bills he sponsored on banning abortions from advancing through the House, despite GOP support for the measures, King said.

Just because a conception happened in bad circumstances doesn't mean the result isn't a person, King, who is Catholic, argued.

"It's not the baby's fault for the sin of the father, or of the mother," he said

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to NPR a moment ago... Who fucking needs an AR-15 to protect their home?

30 feral hogs and all.

Truthfully much of it really is just purely gun culture out of control.

That community really loves guns, and the more rounds they can fire more quickly is more fun at the range. Like there actually are lots of responsible gun owners, but they just do not need something that powerful to get their kicks.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Right, AR-15s are long and unwieldy in close quarters. They're more suited for target shooting or hunting. If you had to have a gun for home self defense, a handgun would me much more suitable. Or you could just use a bat or a knife, which for 99 percent of people would be more than enough.
Or a shotgun. The noise alone is deafening in close quarters and can scare off an assailant.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Buyback of assault weapons is an interesting idea

but CRIMINAL PROSECUTION? is Gilli high? Is weed legal in NY?

Owning an AR is eventually going to have to be a prosecutable offense. The only other realistic choice is to do nothing. Anything in between is a half measure.

No, it doesn't mean you break down doors and search homes, but not making ownership a prosecutable offense is just a wink and a nod that everything stays effectively the same. It doesn't matter if we aren't manufacturing new ARs when the existing stock makes them as common as old game consoles. The used market will ensure that every prospective mass shooter has easy, easy access.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ford, Carter & Reagan supported the AR ban. Yes, it's gun culture.

Well right the ban should have never been allowed to expire of course, but now the cat is kind of out of the bag. Regardless it needs to be put back into place and yes there should be a buyback. But criminal prosecution I don't think is gonna fly.

^ actually yeah I think it would be fine as long as you aren't actively serving warrants. If police come across one otherwise sure charge for it like hey, it's not legal to have this and we're taking it and here is a charge and a fine because you didn't do the buyback like you were supposed to.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Jeff Jackson just ruled out running for a US Senate seat next year. He said it would force him to be away from his family too much.

I guess there's always 2022 in what will be an open seat because Burr is retiring. If anyone can win in what will likely be a bounce back election for the GOP it's him.

Edit: I was beaten by like half an hour, lol.

access tv

Oct 25, 2017

Man, Steve and Louie G are masters of 'going out of your way to appear as cognitively dense as possible to make vague, simple points'. Nobody thinks children born out of incest are. . . 'lesser' human beings, Steve. That's you. But with black people.

And to preempt his point with that toxic pro-rape preamble, I—I'm dead.

Last edited:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Right, what's dangerous now is Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson, etc on YouTube.

And even that's saturated at this point. We should have been concerned about that through the 2000's.

Wonder what the next frontier is. VR?

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Was reading about the "doubts" GOP guys are relaying to Trump about the Blago pardon.

One thing that sticks out to me is that I honestly don't see anyone who actually would like this pardon at all. I'm sure we'd have the 38% support it, but that's just because Trump would do it. Beyond that, it seems the guy was just straight scum, and everything wrong with politics. I heard that Jared thought IL Dems would appreciate it but.... a) Would any care that much and b) Why the fuck would Trump care about IL Dems, he ain't winning there!

I dunno, seems weird.
Literally only Trump wants it, and the only reason is that in his mind ilhe is "sticking it" to Comey and Obama.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck?

Is she trying to 1-up the other candidates or drive the conversation? This is an example of "the highest bid" being a detractor, imo.

I like it, but it's too little too late from her. Reeks of desperation.

I don't even know what to say other than stripping him of his committee assignments wasn't enough. He should be in fucking jail.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
FL Man Who Threatened Walmart Attack Had Racist FB Posts, Threatened To Pee In Cruiser

"Your name is Officer Gerardi? That sounds Hispanic," Clayton allegedly said. "They come in and are ruining everything," he added, according to the report.

"While en-route to the jail, Clayton put his handcuffs in the front and began taking his penis out stating, 'Officer I am going to pee in your car!'" Gerardi wrote. Only after the officer told Clayton "I am not Hispanic" did the threats stop.

"Ok well then I guess I won't pee in your car then," Clayton allegedly said.

Status
Not open for further replies.