• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
The Supreme Court doesn't have any apparatus to enforce their rulings right? Fuck 'em then. Liberal states will rightly ignore any rulings against progressive legislation, and the quality of life in those states will improve so much.
And your response to PoC and minorities who can't afford to leave red states that do enforce those draconian rulings?

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a time when I didn't think about the President every fucking day.

Truth. I think this is an underappreciated factor for 2020. Other than his 30% of die-hard cultists, people are exhausted by this shit. Not even political junkies want to spend every day thinking about what the president is doing, but Trump is such a narcissist that he cannot help grasping at attention with every opportunity. This shit takes a real mental toll. During the Obama administration I went weeks at at time not even thinking about what he was up to. Man how I long for those days.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Y'all are really going to make me do this again, huh?

You have until 9 PM Eastern to get someone to come up with a new OP.

(although I'll be merciful and go with "May God Ruin Him.")

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
We are so numb to the daily crazy that it's easy to forget that earlier today Trump called the Fed Chairman, whom he nominated for the post, an enemy of the State. This is batshit crazy insanity. It's not normal. At all.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Truth. I think this is an underappreciated factor for 2020. Other than his 30% of die-hard cultists, people are exhausted. Not even political junkies want to spend every day thinking about what the president is doing, but Trump is such a narcissist that he cannot help grasping at attention with every opportunity. This shit takes a real mental toll. During the Obama administration I went weeks at at time not even thinking about what he was up to. Man how I long for those days.

I couldn't agree more. I know a lot of people, mostly internet leftists, made fun of that protest rally sign that said "I should be at brunch now" because "lol dumb lib" but I understand the sentiment. Yeah we should have been paying more day to day attention to politics than we did but we shouldn't have to feel 100% fucking outraged about literally fucking everything all the time. It's not fair to anyone.

At this point I don't give a fuck about 2022 or 2028 I just want this ride to fucking STOP give me senile Biden I'll take it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Y'all are really going to make me do this again, huh?

You have until 9 PM Eastern to get someone to come up with a new OP.

(although I'll be merciful and go with "May God Ruin Him.")
That's a great title, even better with "hereby ordered" added somewhere. Please no Tami whatsername in the title, as I saw at least one rec for earlier.

Oct 27, 2017
Going to extremely own as whole entireties of small midwesterns town go on foodstamps

yah economic acclerationism gross no matter whose president

e: like I get it that's trump is bad and the economy is terrible for everyone but I genuinely can't think of any towns in Missouri or wherever in the midwest that isn't in the midst of recovering from 2008 and still shows effects of it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Well alrighty then..

Dementia is fun.
But that one about Moulton is okay because...actually I don't know why it's okay to blame one's economic havoc on a withdrawing Presidential candidate.
It's stupid as hell considering it's actually something he did. I think it's the total absurdity of it that I think it almost horseshoes into him being almost self-aware that he's to blame. ALMOST. But the brain worms stop him from thinking that even though the tweet alludes to it, which is why I found it amusing.

Oct 25, 2017
And your response to PoC and minorities who can't afford to leave red states that do enforce those draconian rulings?

This is why I'd rather just stack the courts and change the federal court make-up using as many constitutionally-provided levers as possible.

But again, blue states and cities are not just going to go along with a right-wing court shutting down their legislation, so something's got to give. Even threatening to withhold federal funding won't change that. The GOP is really asking for a break-up of the country here with what they're doing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blue states are so complacent that they vote for Democrats in every national election!

What a fucking stupid insipid theory of politics that again tries to take the blame off of shitty electorates and pin it off evil urban liberals.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'd rather just stack the courts and change the federal court make-up using as many constitutionally-provided levers as possible.

But again, blue states and cities are not just going to go along with a right-wing court shutting down their legislation, so something's got to give. Even threatening to withhold federal funding won't change that. The GOP is really asking for a break-up of the country here with what they're doing.
This.

I can't stress enough this country cannot continue on it's current path. It will either be outright civil war or secession.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
But again, states are not just going to go along with a right-wing court shutting down their legislation, so something's got to give. Even threatening to withhold federal funding won't change that. The GOP is really asking for a break-up of the country here with what they're doing.
Ruling the Civil Rights Act not applying to LGBT people isn't shutting down anything. States are still free to pass whatever nondiscrimination protections the Constitution will permit.

States still have tremendous latitude. The problems come with federally backed or mandated programs, which doesn't really involve the Supreme Court that frequently.

Oct 25, 2017
Ruling the Civil Rights Act not applying to LGBT people isn't shutting down anything. States are still free to pass whatever nondiscrimination protections the Constitution will permit.

States still have tremendous latitude. The problems come with federally backed or mandated programs, which doesn't really involve the Supreme Court that frequently.

Did you mean to respond to me? I didn't assert that such a ruling on the CRA would apply to state legislation, so I'm not sure where that came from.

But to your point, even in these cases where a standard baseline for the rights of individuals is lessened, I still don't think that it's sustainable to have a unified country in which women, black and brown people, LGBT+ people, etc., functionally cannot live and work peacefully in various parts of said country.

Which is why I say go ahead and fight the civil war.

The result will be the same. Just don't show them any mercy this time.

I don't think war or secession are optimal solutions or even realistic solutions.

I foresee two possibilities:

1. The states essentially weaken the federal government over the next few decades by ignoring it as the power of the presidency/Congress shifts back and forth between the two major parties. With little power or authority imbued within it by the states, it acts essentially as a unified military forces and re-distributor of funding to different states, but the state governments are where the power ultimately comes to lie.

2. Demographics really do win out, the GOP goes extinct, and something less shitty replaces it.

EDIT: Well, there is a 3. Rising sea levels ravage the coasts, city dwellers move into the interior of the country, and we get a sharp uptick in right-wing terrorism as Democratic voters fill the formerly red flyover states. The GOP can't win the Senate, much less the Presidency, but the country sees some violent-ass times before we have a massive die-off because we fucked up our planet.

Last edited:

spx54

Mar 21, 2019

so when are one of Trump's campaign people going to change their twitter profile picture to Pepe the frog

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Which is why I say go ahead and fight the civil war.

The result will be the same. Just don't show them any mercy this time.
Lincoln should have finished the fight. Too bad his successors completely botchfucked the whole Civil War by making racists and segregationists happy and fat with reconstruction.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Once people see how good it is in blue states, if they can't leave, they will revolt.
This is absolutely absurd. If you are a marginalized person, if you are treated like a second class citizen, if you are poor, if you are struggling to make ends meet...you don't get the luxury of leaving or revolting. You get taken advantage of because that's how it works. It shows a fundamental lack of empathy or knowledge for what it is to be a member of an oppressed group. Your precious blue state won't save you from the Supremacy Clause. Meanwhile, millions of folks can just get fucked in red states for being too poor, too isolated, or uninterested in moving.

Okay.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
But to your point, even in these cases where a standard baseline for the rights of individuals is lessened, I still don't think that it's sustainable to have a unified country in which women, black and brown people, LGBT+ people, etc., functionally cannot live and work peacefully in various parts of said country.
Except that's always been the case, and we're still here over 200 years later.

Oct 25, 2017
Except that's always been the case, and we're still here over 200 years later.

I think that making this argument ignores that white people are becoming a minority in the country and that black and brown people, women, and the LGBT community are willing to loudly voice their desire for certain human rights in a way that they never have before in our history, and that is the context which makes this moment in our history a bit different than the past 200.

I would argue that we are at a time that is as volatile as the 1850s in terms of social upheaval and that is in some ways more volatile than then or the 1960s or the 1920s.

And I would argue that this changes the way we should discuss the effects of any differences in rights and laws between the states.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you mean to respond to me? I didn't assert that such a ruling on the CRA would apply to state legislation, so I'm not sure where that came from.

I don't think war or secession are optimal solutions or even realistic solutions.

I foresee two possibilities:

1. The states essentially weaken the federal government over the next few decades by ignoring it as the power of the presidency/Congress shifts back and forth between the two major parties. With little power or authority imbued within it by the states, it acts essentially as a unified military forces and re-distributor of funding to different states, but the state governments are where the power ultimately comes to lie.

2. Demographics really do win out, the GOP goes extinct, and something less shitty replaces it.

EDIT: Well, there is a 3. Rising sea levels ravage the coasts, city dwellers move into the interior of the country, and we get a sharp uptick in right-wing terrorism as Democratic voters fill the formerly red flyover states. The GOP can't win the Senate, much less the Presidency, but the country sees some violent-ass times before we have a massive die-off because we fucked up our planet.

Optimal? No.

Realistic, yes. Climate change will ensure violence and war are the only real option.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear god Biden just go away.

We need a progressive candidate who understands the GOP is the enemy, not a let's come together and hug white old boomer.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is federal funding can be awarded/witithheld based on federal law.

This is always and under known situation when people assume any sort of unilateral move by states. Sure, might work under a Dem House but once control switches back the option of withholding funds by law can be enforced.

Remember folks, there's nothing stating that any state has to set the drinking age at 21, except no state wants to give up transportation funds by lowering it.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Corey Booker said beating Donald Trump is the floor and not the ceiling? LOL not for the current state of the DNC, gimme what he's smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.