• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I think that making this argument ignores that white people are becoming a minority in the country and that black and brown people, women, and the LGBT community are willing to loudly voice their desire for certain human rights in a way that they never have before in our history, and that is the context which makes this moment in our history a bit different than the past 200.
There's no evidence any country could ever be infinitely sustainable. However, on a global scale, America is far from some shrinking empire, and it's far from the only country struggling with changing demographics.

No, the current situation cannot persist indefinitely. But I don't see any reasonable indication that's even possible (as you note, the shifting makeup of the country has already put a clock on minority rule). Change will come as it always has: slowly.

Splitting the country isn't a rational course of action, and I don't believe that there exists the will or the means to actually make it happen (most states are not self-sufficient and don't really have much choice, and those that could do it have so much to lose that it's just not worth it).

Last edited:

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Today's market action in convenient chart form. Who is the real enemy again?

ES%20summary%208.23.jpg
I need more alcohol

If you saw this chart a few years ago you'd think it was from The Onion

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
People live until they're 91! Not unheard of. I seriously doubt we see any ideological shifts on the court for the next decade.

Which means we'll be feeling the ramification of 2016 for years.
Yeah, but when you get to that age, you think he'd want to retire when's there a GOP President as opposed to risking it.

At any rate, I do agree that I don't see him retiring at this point.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I sold my father's stocks and IRA a few days ago instead of waiting.

Me thinks it's gonna all go down from here (relatively speaking)

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I sold my father's stocks and IRA a few days ago instead of waiting.

Me thinks it's gonna all go down from here (relatively speaking)
My dad plans to retire in a little over a year.

I wonder how that's gonna go down. I doubt he's converted his retirement funds into safer investments and he's not the type to let me manage for him.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
He's going to create 20 million new union jobs. (No he's not, unless he also creates 20 million new human beings.) He's going to eliminate fossil fuels by 2030 at the latest. (I don't think even the most optimistic environmentalist thinks we can build out solar and wind that fast.) Electricity will be "virtually free" by 2035. (Oh please.)

And there's the spending. Two trillion dollars to weatherize homes. Another two trillion to allow people to trade in their old gas burners for electric vehicles. Half a trillion to replace school buses. A trillion dollars for public transit and high-speed rail. I'm open to expert opinion on this, but everything I know about climate change tells me that this is an enormous amount to spend on things that will have only modest impacts.

But at least Sanders will also dedicate huge amounts to R&D, right? He says right at the top that he'll make "massive investments" in new research. But down in the details, R&D appears to get $800 billion, only a little more than he'd spend on school buses. This is a wild mismatch. Sanders appears to be more interested in creating a huge federal jobs program than he is in seriously taking on climate change.
lmao

I'm guessing the brigade goes after Mother Jones now.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dad plans to retire in a little over a year.

I wonder how that's gonna go down. I doubt he's converted his retirement funds into safer investments and he's not the type to let me manage for him.

Yikes is all I'll say.

Hopefully he did convert to bonds or he's in for some hurt.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I wonder why Onion hasn't had a single "Diamond Joe" Biden story for more than a year, not even a single one since he started running.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes is all I'll say.

Hopefully he did convert to bonds or he's in for some hurt.
He never listens to me and has easily wasted 7 figures on constantly buying new cars and trading them in- delaying his retirement by likely over a decade- so I fail to care tbh. They've lived 700 miles away from us for 8 years because he refused to take a job at a lower pay (still well over $100k) so he could pay for his cars instead of seeing me and the rest of the family. Then they gave me agita when I was trying to get my aunt into assisted living earlier this year. They've also refused to update their will- last one was 30 years ago and gave everything to my grandpa, who has been dead for 15 years. Me and other family members have told them to update it for years, but they won't listen. Not gonna help my parents out if they fucked themselves.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He never listens to me and has easily wasted 7 figures on constantly buying new cars and trading them in- delaying his retirement by likely over a decade- so I fail to care tbh. They've lived 700 miles away from us for 8 years because he refused to take a job at a lower pay (still well over $100k) so he could pay for his cars instead of seeing me and the rest of the family. Then they gave me agita when I was trying to get my aunt into assisted living earlier this year. Not gonna help my parents out if they fucked themselves.
This hurts the investment man and financial smart man in me. My father also traded in cars constantly and was well off (hello no debts at all for myself now).

He had 7,000 left on his car and almost 5x that amount in cash alone. Terrible at finance; thank god he had someone else to manage his stock portfolio.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've also refused to update their will- last one was 30 years ago and gave everything to my grandpa, who has been dead for 15 years. Me and other family members have told them to update it for years, but they won't listen. Not gonna help my parents out if they fucked themselves.
As someone dealing with that now, I'm so sorry to hear that.

We'd be up shit creek without me being the beneficiary on everything; hell we're still getting shit from the banks!

Oct 25, 2017
There's no evidence any country could ever be infinitely sustainable. However, on a global scale, America is far from some shrinking empire, and it's far from the only country struggling with changing demographics.

No, the current situation cannot persist indefinitely. But I don't see any reasonable indication that's even possible (as you note, the shifting makeup of the country has already put a clock on minority rule). Change will come as it always has: slowly.

Splitting the country isn't a rational course of action, and I don't believe that there exists the will or the means to actually make it happen (most states are not self-sufficient and don't really have much choice, and those that could do it have so much to lose that it's just not worth it).

Well, I don't think anyone was making the argument that the U.S. is infinitely sustainable.

I do think that migration pressures and the browning of America are going to be changes that happen too quickly for a large, soon-to-be minority in the country, and I don't think that this is too comparable to past shifts in society in the U.S., that's all.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This hurts the investment man and financial smart man in me. My father also traded in cars constantly and was well off (hello no debts at all for myself now).

He had 7,000 left on his car and almost 5x that amount in cash alone. Terrible at finance; thank god he had someone else to manage his stock portfolio.
My dad has been in banking his whole career too and is a very smart guy. Unfortunately it seems to all stem from family shit; his dad and his uncle were/are huge car guys- they love/d to work on and show off antique cars. My uncle had a career in auto body but already retired because he saved like a maniac and is the opposite of dad in that regard. But his dad refused to teach my dad how to work on cars because he was supposed to be the "smart one." So he just buys new cars all the time due to his insecurities. The family has pointed this out billions of times but he refuses to own up to it or get therapy for it.

After seeing this growing up I am basically the total opposite finance-wise. No debt, max out retirement, very frugal. Car is over 8 years old; my husband's car is almost 12.

As someone dealing with that now, I'm so sorry to hear that.

We'd be up shit creek without me being the beneficiary on everything; hell we're still getting shit from the banks!
I'm driving them to a fucking lawyer as soon as they move back here. As long as one of them is still alive, I can deal with it. I don't care if I get a penny, and I've told them this; I just don't want a fiasco when they die.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall reading that Thomas has vowed to stay on the court as long as possible as revenge for the Anita Hill hearings. I'd have to look up where I read that, tho.

Yeah
When asked some years ago how long he'd stay on the court, he reportedly said that he'd stay there for next 43 years of his life. He was 43 at the time. In a more revealing aside, he supposedly quipped to friends that it would take him that long to get even. Whether that is hyperbole or an apocryphal tale, it hasn't taken him 43 years to wreak his revenge.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
JEFF BEZOS PROPOGANDA RAG: Trump's wall is child's play compared to Bernie Sanders's climate plan
Sanders will replace or scrap all aircraft, the vast majority of cars and trucks, most buses, trains and ships; hundreds of power plants; and much of the electrical grid...
He will spend $16.3 trillion on this project, but he promises to recoup a fair chunk of that money by suing companies for doing things that aren't illegal ...
Let me be clear: I support concerted action to mitigate climate change. I'm just not sure make-believe is the best way to do it. Sanders was on the right track four years ago, when he put a carbon tax at the center of his climate plan. It's a bold step with bipartisan support. And a president who worked extremely hard and effectively for three or four years might be able to pass it. Asked by reporters why he no longer supports the tax, Sanders replied that it doesn't go far enough.

In other words, he hasn't delivered on the first idea, so he's moving on to something much bigger and far more difficult.
Sanders fans approve of his fantasy even though they know it won't really happen. "I see these proposals as both markers and mobilizing tools," climate policy expert Jody Freeman told Hailey Fuchs and Michael Scherer of The Post. "They are a marker that says, 'We care about climate change. We really, really do.' "

The implication here is that realism equals apathy. The true measure of a candidate's convictions is the hyperbole of the promises. By this logic, former vice president Joe Biden or Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) should now promise to replace all vehicles and power plants in five years. Then Sen. Kamala D. Harris or former housing secretary Julián Castro can promise to do it in the first 100 days. Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) should promise to spend eleventy-jillion. Don't they really, really, really care?
Freeman is onto something important about this political season. Voters appear to want grand gestures more than they want achievable policies. They'd rather be bathed in agreeable hogwash than be tasked with achievable goals.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Biden cannot be the nominee.

Surely people will start seeing the light soon
I believe there are couple of things. 1, Biden still has immense name recognition. Election is still 1+ year away. It should start to fluctuate before Iowa caucuses. Also keep in mind early performance in states like Iowa and NH upend a lot of things.

Secondly, and this is my guess, that lot of Biden support is coming from shellshocked Democrats from Trump presidency. Biden is a guarantee* that he will get some racist Trump crossovers as well as keep Obama coalition. Bernie, Warren, etc supporters seem to be cognizant of the fact that Trump has nonzero chance of winning 2020. I'm of that group. Being aware of this fact doesn't mean you're OK with it. Far from it. It's more about exciting your base rather than fielding racists in Iowa.

*Nothing is a guarantee. At least in their mind it is.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I believe there are couple of things. 1, Biden still has immense name recognition. Election is still 1+ year away. It should start to fluctuate before Iowa caucuses. Also keep in mind early performance in states like Iowa and NH upend a lot of things.

Secondly, and this is my guess, that lot of Biden support is coming from shellshocked Democrats from Trump presidency. Biden is a guarantee* that he will get some racist Trump crossovers as well as keep Obama coalition. Bernie, Warren, etc supporters seem to be cognizant of the fact that Trump has nonzero chance of winning 2020. I'm of that group. Being aware of this fact doesn't mean you're OK with it. Far from it. It's more about exciting your base rather than fielding racists in Iowa.

*Nothing is a guarantee. At least in their mind it is.
The whole guarantee thing is bullshit considering most people thought Hildawg was guaranteed to win in 2016.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
JEFF BEZOS PROPOGANDA RAG: Trump's wall is child's play compared to Bernie Sanders's climate plan

Oh hey, the thing I said Sanders proposal was is probably exactly what it is

The implication here is that realism equals apathy. The true measure of a candidate's convictions is the hyperbole of the promises. By this logic, former vice president Joe Biden or Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) should now promise to replace all vehicles and power plants in five years. Then Sen. Kamala D. Harris or former housing secretary Julián Castro can promise to do it in the first 100 days. Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) should promise to spend eleventy-jillion. Don't they really, really, really care?

fancy dat

Edit: The fuck is going on with this site tonight

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017

fancy dat

Edit: The fuck is going on with this site tonight
I mean the thing is, I'm not fundamentally opposed to proposals as messaging and rallying cries.

You campaign in poetry and govern in prose.

The problem I have is that, (1) one cannot help but get the sense that (and this is perhaps where I disagree with the author) the candidate and his supporters actually think that the pie-in-the-sky proposal is the best way to do things.

And (2) there's taking things to the point where they're just ridiculous.

And when you combine these it ends up shutting down actual proposals towards tackling issues... because they become... purity tests.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Those articles about Sanders' plans are brutal, and could happen just as easily to Warren. Just not as harsh because Sanders is more aggressive.

But what those articles scratch the surface on is that the left have seen Ryan, McConnell, and Trump get some absolute bullshit go through. Judges, tax cuts, shitty executive orders.

Not only that, but they are dangerously afraid of the future. That works in a populist's favor. Left or right.

Hence Sanders being 2nd/3rd. Well, that and name recognition

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

fancy dat

It's the natural extension of 2016, though - Hillary was the realistic candidate, the "get things done and they might not be the best, but they'll be baby steps towards the best" candidate, the political candidate. But people wanted unrealistic - whether it be Sanders and his "we'll get it done" obliviousness, or Trump and his ability to sell people the past ("more coal jobs in the future, more manufacturing jobs in the future").

A balance does have to be struck between being imaginative enough that you don't hem yourself in because of your realism, and being so unrealistic that you have to spend your first 100 days back at the drawing board because you've sold people dreams and nothing more.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Sure reads like he's joking about how his not knowing the layout of that particular campus will be construed as indicative of his having lost his marbles.

You can explain that by using words. Without having to explain what youre explaining. No need to detail things you dont remember. Just say i was there at x.

Everytime he opens his mouth he has to explain why its opening.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
The issue is Bernie's climate "plan" isn't just unrealistic, it's pure fantasy. It's absurd on every single level. Top to bottom there is no way this is even remotely feasible. It's fanfiction pretending to be policy. That's dangerous, because a lot of his base swallows everything he spits out as pure gospel and the only way to do things.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I am sort of curious, not that I think it will happen, but if Sanders were to become President and fails to:
  • Transition all US electricity use to renewables and create 20 million jobs through entirely public spending
  • Institute a debt jubilee and the poorly thought out plan to make public college free
  • Eliminate private insurance and transition everyone to a heavily expanded Medicare system in 4 years
What happens to his support base. Do they become disillusioned and done with politics?
Do they keep the faith and blame everyone else?

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I am sort of curious, not that I think it will happen, but if Sanders were to become President and fails to:
  • Transition all US electricity use to renewables and create 20 million jobs through entirely public spending
  • Institute a debt jubilee and the poorly thought out plan to make public college free
  • Eliminate private insurance and transition everyone to a heavily expanded Medicare system in 4 years
What happens to his support base. Do they become disillusioned and done with politics?

US becomes a right wing country for another three decades, just like Carter.

Status
Not open for further replies.